Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. (6973 Views)

Is It Good For A Husband And Wife To Have Separate Rooms At Home? / What A Husband Needs From A Wife Is Never Sex / Eniola Kashaam: They Said I Was Too Fat To Find A Husband But I Got The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by RoyalRoy(m): 5:15am On May 15, 2015
Splitting the salary 50-50 seems outrageous.

The couple should work out a good percentage between themselves.

Keeping a proffesional at home to be a full time house wife comes with a consequence as seen already in this story. It shouldn't exceed the child bearing years if at all she has to be a full time housewife.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by tpiadotcom: 5:20am On May 15, 2015
ko kan mi.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 8:15am On May 15, 2015
RoyalRoy:
Splitting the salary 50-50 seems outrageous.

The couple should work out a good percentage between themselves.

Keeping a proffesional at home to be a full time house wife comes with a consequence as seen already in this story. It shouldn't exceed the child bearing years if at all she has to be a full time housewife.
Even if it does not exceed the child bearing years by the time she starts work again she may never catch up with male colleagues eg in this case she and her husband qualified the same year. She may find that as she gets older taking he professional exams is not as easy and so there is a clear professional sacrifice made for the family.

I take the discussion back to the area of law and rights. I think if they were to divorce many courts would split the family assets 50;.
In Nigeria this is only likely to happen in "registry" marriages and will become more of an issue as divorce rates rise
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by jaybee3(m): 8:39am On May 15, 2015
how can they (4 persons household) live comfortable with 1.5 Million naira per annum?
The excuse for her asking her to stay at home is pretty lame. she knew what she was up against when she decided to study the course. She could have looked for a less demanding job rather than agree to stay at home

the man basically killed her career and it's his responsibility to ensure she can stand on her two feet without having to rely on him all the time. Besides, a household with 2 income earners is financially far better than having a sole earner.

50:50 sharing ratio is also an outrageous demand once you factor in household bills and expenses.

He either allows her to get back to work or fund a suitable business for the wife

End off!
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 5:16pm On May 15, 2015
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10604437/Top-investment-banking-wife-and-stay-at-home-husband-in-11m-divorce-battle.html
By News agencies

11:29AM GMT 29 Jan 2014

A top investment banker and her stay-at-home husband are locked in an £11m divorce battle, after an argument on a family holiday ended their marriage.

House husband, Weng Choy, filed for divorce from his "breadwinner" wife, Lena Tan, in January 2012, after a row days earlier on New Year's Eve, whilst on a family holiday in Singapore, proved the "final straw", lawyers say.

Ms Tan and Mr Choy lived an opulent lifestyle during their 15-year marriage, enjoying homes in Hong Kong and Malaysia, a staggering £1m wine collection and the "jewel in the crown" of their marital assets, an unmortgaged £4.5m apartment in Kensington.

Now Mr Choy, 56, is asking the English courts to hand him a slice of the marital assets - valued by lawyers at £11m - while his wife insists he has no right to divorce her in the UK.

London's Appeal Court heard that the jet-setting "international" couple, whose two sons boarded at English public schools, split up in January 2012, when Mr Choy, 56, filed for divorce in the English High Court, after a blazing row on New Year's Eve 2011.
Related Articles

Marriage guidance 'could save Britain billions'
28 Jan 2014

English courts still top the league for generous divorce payouts
16 Dec 2013

Tycoon wife's fury over £20m divorce sum
22 Nov 2013

What’s the best way to buy a new car?
Brought to you by Carwow

Mr Choy - who his lawyers say was a banker too, before quitting work to care for the couple's children - claims he sacrificed his own career on behalf of his wife's ambition.

He now wants the UK court to handle the divorce, whilst Ms Tan, 54, a leading hedge fund manager who has worked in the city as well as the far east, has initiated rival divorce proceedings of her own in Malaysia.

James Turner QC, for Ms Tan, 54, who is asking the Appeal Court to block the English divorce, said that following a falling out in London's Holland Park in September 2010, the couple's marriage hit a "crisis" but had survived until it "struck the rock of the row on New Year's Eve 2011" and finally foundered.

A High Court family judge in March 2013 ruled that the husband had been "habitually resident" in London for at least a year before he filed for divorce and so was entitled to end his marriage in the UK.

However, Mr Turner argued that, despite over half the couple's wealth being invested in UK assets, the family judge got it wrong, and ought not to have allowed the divorce to proceed.

He insisted that the husband's "home" had in fact remained in Hong Kong and that the marriage had been intact, despite the Holland Park argument, until the fateful holiday row.

He said: "Married family life between the parties continued to some degree at least, and had Hong Kong as its centre, until a row took place between the parties during a family holiday in Singapore during the Christmas 2011 /New Year 2012 period, following which the husband came to England.

"Clearly, each member of the family in the present case had been habitually resident in Hong Kong where the family home and centre of interests had been located for a considerable period," the barrister said, insisting that the UK divorce be shelved.

He urged the court to pay heed to the "personal convenience" of the wife "as the family breadwinner...bearing in mind the need for her physical presence in Malaysia", and the fact that her husband "is not gainfully employed."

He also complained that it was unfair that, after agreeing to pay £500,000 to her husband from the proceeds of their wine collection, the wife had also been ordered by the High Court to pay him a further £100,000 towards his lawyers' bill from her own half share.

Tim Bishop QC, for the husband, insisted that his home base had been in London since the Holland Park argument in 2010 and told the judges that he had been forming closer and closer ties with the city for the last 20 years.

"When the centre of the husband's interest ceased to be Hong Kong as his connection with Hong Kong broke down upon the end of his marriage, London was the natural and obvious replacement," he said.

"The judge found that they had an international marriage which, from 1998, involved them moving around the world following the wife's work.

"They owned property, they had homes in a number of countries - England, Singapore and Malaysia...but the jewel in the crown of their assets was the South Kensington apartment, worth £4-£4.75m, never mortgaged, never let out," he added.

"After the marriage broke down...the husband's centre of interests ceased to be dictated by the wife's working life.

"London was capable of swiftly becoming the husband's permanent centre of interests after the breakdown of the marriage," he went on, adding that the husband has taken a UK driving test and obtained a full British licence as well as a National Insurance number.

"Having separated from his wife, his connection to Hong Kong fell away and his home, the place he lived, his centre of interest, his habitual residence became London," the barrister concluded.

Mr Bishop added outside court: "Mr Choy was also a banker, but he quit his job to look after the children and to support his wife in her career."

He said the fight on New Year's Eve was the "final straw" after a series of rows, and had not been about any issue in particular.

Lord Justice Leveson, Lord Justice Aikens and Lady Justice Macur reserved their judgement on the case and will give their ruling at a later date.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 5:19pm On May 15, 2015
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11605478/My-financial-strategy-Find-a-new-husband-Russian-beauty-queen-tells-divorce-hearing.html embarassed
My financial strategy? Find a new husband, Russian beauty queen tells divorce hearing
‘I’m a very good wife’, says Ekaterina Parfenova as she lays out plans for her future in £6 million divorce battle at Royal Courts of Justice in London

Ekaterina Fields arrives at High Court in London for a hearing in her multi-million pound cash dispute with her estranged lawyer husband, Richard

2:11PM BST 14 May 2015

A Russian beauty queen and actress at the centre of a £6 million divorce battle at the Royal Courts of Justice in London has outlined her plans to secure her financial future: find new husband.
ADVERTISING

Ekaterina Parfenova, who is seeking a multi-million pound settlement from her estranged husband Richard Fields, an American lawyer, said she had no plans to work but is a “very good wife” and hopes to remarry.

She is vying for a £2.6 million share of their estimated £6 million assets plus an annual payout of up to £750,000.

Russian beauty Queen seeking £5.5m flat in divorce settlement
Judge tells former beauty queen that divorce battles are 'like a boxing match'

That would include £75,000 a year for holidays and mortgage payments on a £5.5 million flat near Kensington Palace.

The 42-year-old told the court on Tuesday that she did not marry Mr Fields, her second husband, for his money or lifestyle and originally thought he was a “driver” when they first met.

The case is one of the first high profile Family Court divorce hearings of its kind to be open to the public, after the judge, Mr Justice Holman, refused requests for it to be behind closed doors insisting people had a right to see justice “at work”.

The judge has made repeated attempts to get the couple to settle. When Ms Parfenova appeared reluctant to go back into the witness box to continue her evidence on Wednesday, he told her it was still not too late to stop “this terrible destructive conflict”.

Ms Parfenova, who first became a household name in Russia as a child star of the film Higher Than The Rainbow, was cross-examined by Stephen Trowell QC, representing 59-year-old Mr Fields, about her job prospects.

She speaks Russian, French and English and had worked as a translator in the past, and might even consider working as a personal assistant or estate agent.

He asked her: "Do you intend to work after today?”

She replied that she was not, adding: “I am a very good wife – I will try to find a husband.”

Mr Trowell continued: “You are only 42 and you have a lifetime ahead of you.”

She said she wanted to spend as much time as possible with her two young children as they grew up, particularly over the next few years.

But when Mr Trowell said she had a “duty” to exercise her earning capacity and should try to find some sort of work rather than relying on her husband to keep her, she replied: “I will certainly try.”

The former “Miss World University” winner wants £414,000 a year for herself and their two children plus extra payments relating to assets.

She has picked out an apartment in Kensington she has described as “appropriate” to her needs.

Mr fields has offered to pay her £230,000 a year and has suggested she consider living in Battersea, south of the Thames, an area best known for the dogs home and power station, now increasingly fashionable.

Her counsel Lewis Marks QC told the judge: “The husband's case is that my client married him for his money and he indulged her during the marriage.

“He said she constantly made demands for jewellery he could not afford.”

She married five-times-married Mr Fields in November 2002. Although a decree nisi was granted in March 2013 it has never been made absolute while they battled over money.

Based mostly in Miami but also with a home in New York, Mr Fields is said to earn almost £1.3 million although his wife thinks it might be as high as £1.9 million.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by LaRoyalHighness(f): 4:31am On May 16, 2015
... First of all...let me go and read comments .. I love such threads... Nl women can form 'She should work bla bla...(Thinking out loud) Who are they unemployed women when most married woman on nl is working... Who are the ones that that complain about about unemployment when most women on the street on nl is working.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by timilehing(m): 7:48am On May 16, 2015
There is a fundamental problem, she shouldn't have agreed to becoming a house wife at first.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by pheyhi(f): 7:54am On May 16, 2015
no mata who nice people they can never take care of u the way u take care of yourself..
some men prefer their wives to b a full one some dont buh if u know u prefer the former then u know u ought to make provisions for her that wouldnt make her feel shes lacking in any area
d man build house put am for in name nt in both deir names or d name of d kids.
she wan do her dad's burial she shud forget it he can NEVER giv her d money he spent on his dad's
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by jany(f): 8:21am On May 16, 2015
OP, do i know u? story sounds soooo familiar
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Nobody: 8:41am On May 16, 2015
omonnakoda:
This story has been fictionalized to hide identities but is essentially true of a couple in Nigeria

Mr A& Mrs A have been married for 6 years They have two kids aged 2 and 4 years . They are both professionals and studied exactly the same course at University .To climb the career ladder in their profession one needs to take several exams and courses which Mr A has been doing they decided that Mrs A would be a housewife full time and Mr A would work. Mr A earns about 1.5 million a year and they are quite comfortable. Mr A is building a duplex with a company loan and it should be finished later this year or early next year. They are from the same state and their extended families are not a burden.
There are some cracks emerging in the relationship mainly about money. Mr A drives a brand new car which was bought by his company. His wife's car is smaller and has no A/C recently her father died and she asked Mr A for a contribution.She hates asking her for money becuse he sometimes refuses or cuts down her requests. She is resentful that 3 years ago he splashed out heavily on on hi own father's burial ceremony. Also the house he is building is in his name even though she supervises all the work.She would prefer to work so she has her own money rather than ask Mr A for money. She insists she now wants to restart her career while he i adamant that she remain a housewife. She has demanded that in that case they should split his salary 50:50.
What do ya think?

Hmm, 1.5million a year for a family of 4 is very uncomfortable oo. Unless you mean 1.5 million a month
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by tpiadotcom: 8:49am On May 16, 2015
is this about the lady who quit her job to marry a governor?

you people are such hypocrites.
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by irunoko(m): 5:16pm On May 19, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Ewuro4:

Oya komole grin grin

grin grin

Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 9:24pm On May 19, 2015
fem29:

Hmm, 1.5million a year for a family of 4 is very uncomfortable oo. Unless you mean 1.5 million a month
Is that your contribution?
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 19, 2015
omonnakoda:
Is that your contribution?

Yes
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 9:38pm On May 19, 2015
fem29:

Yes
Thanks
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by bukatyne(f): 9:42pm On May 19, 2015
omonnakoda:
This story has been fictionalized to hide identities but is essentially true of a couple in Nigeria

Mr A& Mrs A have been married for 6 years They have two kids aged 2 and 4 years . They are both professionals and studied exactly the same course at University .To climb the career ladder in their profession one needs to take several exams and courses which Mr A has been doing they decided that Mrs A would be a housewife full time and Mr A would work. Mr A earns about 1.5 million a year and they are quite comfortable. Mr A is building a duplex with a company loan and it should be finished later this year or early next year. They are from the same state and their extended families are not a burden.
There are some cracks emerging in the relationship mainly about money. Mr A drives a brand new car which was bought by his company. His wife's car is smaller and has no A/C recently her father died and she asked Mr A for a contribution.She hates asking her for money becuse he sometimes refuses or cuts down her requests. She is resentful that 3 years ago he splashed out heavily on on hi own father's burial ceremony. Also the house he is building is in his name even though she supervises all the work.She would prefer to work so she has her own money rather than ask Mr A for money. She insists she now wants to restart her career while he i adamant that she remain a housewife. She has demanded that in that case they should split his salary 50:50.
What do ya think?

The husband should have been ready to give the wife allowance monthly or make his finance accessible to her.

The wife getting a job might lead to the dearth of the marriage If the husband is still adamant. I would advice she still insists even at the expense of her marriage or start an online business. That husband may leave her high and dry at the end of the day.

50:50 sharing is not realistic except If it after expenditure.

I also think it should be #1.5m per month. #1.5m per year is about #125k monthly and I am wondering how he copes with all the expenditure.

I would suggest they go back to the drawing board and If they cannot reach a consensus, the wife stands her ground.

Goodluck
Re: Should A Husband Pay His Wife A Salary Every Month. by omonnakoda: 9:49pm On May 19, 2015
bukatyne:

The husband should have been ready to give the wife allowance monthly or make his finance accessible to her.

The wife getting a job might lead to the dearth of the marriage If the husband is still adamant. I would advice she still insists even at the expense of her marriage or start an online business. That husband may leave her high and dry at the end of the day.

50:50 sharing is not realistic except If it after expenditure.

I also think it should be #1.5m per month. #1.5m per year is about #125k monthly and I am wondering how he copes with all the expenditure.

I would suggest they go back to the drawing board and If they cannot reach a consensus, the wife stands her ground.

Goodluck

I guess it would help to have a budget but few families do that. Why fixate on the amount is it relevant or are you Detective Columbo grin
I don't think that is of any relevance to the real issue. By rhe way it does not mention currency cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Distress Sale: 5 Bedroom Bungalow Apartment For Sale #6m(Negotiable) / Man Caught His Best Friend And Wife In Bed, Took Nude Selfie With Them (Photos) / What Do You Do When Your Spirit Is Low?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.