Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas (9713 Views)

SENATE PRESIDENCY PDP Positions Mark, Ekweremadu, Akpabio / Senate Presidency/House Speakership: Trouble Looms In APC / Senate Presidency: APC Leaders Push For Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by lionduke(m): 6:10am On May 15, 2015
Ilorin was founded by the Yoruba , one of
the three largest ethnic groups in Nigeria,
in 1450. It became a provincial military
headquarters of the ancient Oyo Empire, it
later become a Northern Nigeria
protectorate when the Shehu Alimi, a
descendant of Shehu Usman Dan-Fodio,
took control of the city through the spread
of Islamic religion.
The point is that ilorin is a conquered Yoruba territory, their emir's allegiance is still to sokoto caliphate.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by SHARIAREPORTERS: 6:54am On May 15, 2015
yemaldo:

He doesn't have to,his name is Bukola,his father's name is olusola and his sister's name is Gbemisola,his wife toyin ojora saraki.go to Ilorin and speak Fulani to them,i can bet my life u will hardly see someone that will understand u
Oyah na, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is an ibo man
Not by d name, buh who and where u identify wif
He's a true fulani

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by ideykwum: 7:06am On May 15, 2015
You must be a kindergarten! wink wink

VirginFinder:
Whether a Yoruba man from the North Central(Bukola) emerges as Senate President or another Yoruba man from the SW emerges Speaker(Femi), all I see is a win-win scenario for we Yorubas.
If former is the case, Yoruba would have emerged nos 2 & 3 in the federation and if
the latter is the case, we would have emerged nos 2 & 4.

However, I have noticed that some ibos (especially on NL) in a bid to spite/taunt Yorubas are trying very hard to label Bukola as a Fulani man thereby defying reason and common sense out of sheer envy for Yorubas.
These moroniccc ibos fail to realise the having secured the no 2 slot(potential no 1), any other principal position Yorubas get is just an icing on the cake.

If ibos were no 2, they dare not ask for anything else.
Despite voting(rigging) massively for the GEJ/PDP in 2011, the best they could get was Deputy Senate President followed by Deputy Speaker .

The only impediment to a SW speakership is a Bukola emergence as Senate President and not the readiness of ibos and other non Yoruba southern/PDP reps to vote Yakubu Dogara in a hateful bid to hit back at the Yorubas.
NE wont clamour for the Speakership if they already have the senate presidency.

It'll be unfair to have nos 2,3,4 coming from one tribe(Yoruba).
Even the north have expressed this sentiment. This explains Tinubu's backing of the NE for the Senate Presidency to pave the way for the SW - not for any other reason than the quest to remain the most powerful Yoruba politician in APC. It's almost the same reason he dissed Mulikat Akande in 2011.

Unfortunately for Tinubu, Bukola Saraki appears to be very popular across party lines in the senate. He may eventually emerge.

In the end, Yorubas' interests remain intact.
That's why it's a win-win for we Yorubas.
Yoruba interest surpasses that of any Yoruba person.
From time immemorial, we Yorubas know that Yorubaland is bigger than the SW. My great grandmum was a Yoruba woman from the NC.

Envious ibos can go hades!
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by huptin(m): 8:13am On May 15, 2015
SHARIAREPORTERS:
Kwara is headed by an emir
Kwara state geo-political zone is north central
Saraki u all claimed to be a yoruba man was once d chairman of d northern forum
D top men in kwara state house re fulaniz
Stop bin childish, u can claim offa, buh dey all bow to emir of ilorin
As far as ilorin cum kwara is concerned, fulaniz remain d masterz

By your analogy, then David Oyedepo, Sam Adeyemi and co are also Fulanis since they are all from Kwara.
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Nobody: 8:19am On May 15, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

I can only laugh at your oversimplification. The story of Ilorin was not that simple. Alimi could not have defeated Afonja without the support of a muslim Yoruba population who wanted theocracy in Ilorin. Ilorin was not conquered by Hausa/Fulani as some would have you believe.
D

How come a fulani man is emir in a supposedly Yoruba town

3 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by disumusa: 8:28am On May 15, 2015
Igbos are wanderals trying to claim kogi,benue eyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa una no be lagosian again?
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Nobody: 8:31am On May 15, 2015
disumusa:
Igbos are wanderals trying to claim kogi,benue eyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa una no be lagosian again?
You should be ashamed of yourselves, begging someone to belong to your ethnic group just because you want to save face

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by vivalavida(m): 8:38am On May 15, 2015
Real identity
My mother is from Iseyin in Oyo State, while my father is from Ilorin in Kwara State. My great-great grandfather originated from Mali and I am talking about some 150 to 200 years ago. And they are Fulani and that is where we got our Fulani connection from. My great grandfather settled in Ilorin preaching the religion of Islam. A section of Ilorin came from Gwandu and they were religious, but my people came there as practising Muslims from Mali with their own Quran. In fact, the Emir and I used to joke that we had our own Quran and that nobody gave us Quran. My great-grandfather brought our own Quran to Ilorin from Mali to Agbaji where we settled. The Agbaji quarters is about 200 to 300 years old. Over the years, religious piety and devotion have led the prohibition of drumming (in whatever circumstance) in the area.
But because of our connection with the Southern people, a lot of Yoruba are always in Ilorin and so we speak the same language.
If you look at the Ilorin people, the real Ilorin people like Saraki for example, the culture and their ways share affinity with those of the far Northern Nigeria. That accounts for the difference you observe between us and, particularly, people of the South-West, despite the existence, now, of Yoruba as a common language. I leave people to say whatever they like about me. Some people even say I am from Ogun State and some even say I am from Togo but I know where I am from. Even, not long ago, I had a letter inviting me to join in the formation of a Mali-Fulani Organization and that I should be its chairman.
What about your ancestral lineage? People have accused you of bearing Alhaji Abubakar Saraki when you needed votes from the North, Chief Olusola Saraki when you needed votes from the South-West and in the South-East and South-South, you answered Dr. Sola Saraki. How do you reconcile these differences?
People are just reading political meanings to my actions. My Islamic name is Abubakar. When were growing up in Lagos in those days, unless you were a Christian or bore a native indigenous name, you couldn’t get a school. If I wanted to be admitted to a school, I had to drop Abubakar in favour of Sola as virtually all the schools belonged to Christian organizations. It is not correct that I was changing names to garner votes. Politicians invent those kinds of stories against their opponents. You, yourself, should know who you are.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by semitunde: 8:39am On May 15, 2015
ShymmexOBE:

Err, bruddah, I don't think heading the Senate and/or being the speaker of the house is actually a win, in the real sense of it, since the country has a constitution and members of both houses would still have to deliberate/vote in/on whatever law/constitution-amendment they might want to make.

I'm more interested in the ministerial portfolios and how the important ones are shared among the APC strongholds in all the geopolitical zones. If the Yorubas don't get at least the finance ministry and possibly aviation (and a next one), then they lost out. Strongholds have to be compensated.

David Cameron just selected his new cabinet and Northern England only got one. And that's basically because they don't vote for conservatives up there. My point is that: when it comes to politics/election, you've to always cater to your base. But from what I'm seeing, it seems these muthaphucking Northerners are trying to play a fast one on the Yorubas - and it doesn't look pretty at all. grin

OBE? Pictures of the ceremony or...

I agree with some of your points here. Don't agree on others .

While the ministerial slots are performance inclined, the political posts are strategy inclined and are as important if not note important than the ministerial slots.

If the president is going to be impeached or a law affecting section of the country is being passed, we would like to be the ones holding the aces. Cal it protection, call it strategic positioning, barcanista can explain this better I guess...

But I quite agree there might be a fast one being played here. When northerners go for different posts under the guise of North East, North West and North Central, we don't say all of them are Hausa-fulani. Why then is the dust being raise in Bukola Saraki's issue? He's from North Central and Mr Gbajabiamila is from South West. I don't know why this should become a connundrum. I'm sure Hausas won't see it as unfair if they are the ones in this same position as Yoruba here.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by superstar1(m): 8:43am On May 15, 2015
lionduke:
of Islamic religion.
The point is that ilorin is a conquered Yoruba territory, their emir's allegiance is still to sokoto caliphate.

Answer the following questions:

The Sultan and Emirship titles are cultural or religious?

Which religion has the highest population in Ilorin?

3 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Ayekotoo(m): 8:43am On May 15, 2015
lionduke:
of Islamic religion.
So Emir of ilorin is more powerful than the state government? All the politicians in kwara are Yorubas both from APC and PDP.. Olofa of Offa is also a fulani? odensi!

3 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Ayekotoo(m): 8:54am On May 15, 2015
Yorubas are the largest ethnic group in the supposed North central of Nigeria. KWARA Sam Adeyemi Bukola Saraki David Oyedepo Gbemisola Saraki Moses ibitoye KOGI Sunday Awoniyi Smart Adeyemi Dino melaye

2 Likes

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Shittaakeem(m): 9:10am On May 15, 2015
The real reason why Kwara king uses emir and not oba is because they don't want to worship idols the way it is done here in south west. That is the main reason why they adopted the use of emir.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Armaggedon: 9:19am On May 15, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Kwara state does not belong to Hausa/Fulani. That there's an emir in Ilorin doesn't mean Hausa/Fulani own Kwara state. You know absolutely nothing about Kwara State.
so who owns it?
Is there anything like Oba of ilorin?
Ilorin has an emir which simply makes it a fulani emirate. Haven't you wondered why its located in Northern nigeria in the first place?
All Igboland outside SE has obi or Eze.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Shittaakeem(m): 9:22am On May 15, 2015
chukwudi44:

How come a fulani man is emir in a supposedly Yoruba town
The real reason why Kwara king uses emir and not oba is because they don't want to worship idols the way it is done here in south west. That is the main reason why they adopted the use of emir.
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:38am On May 15, 2015
Shittaakeem:

Stop arguing with people who know nothing about Ilorin. They cannot connect the dots. The emir is a religious stool, not a throne of conquest, and they still don't get it!

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:49am On May 15, 2015
Armaggedon:

so who owns it?
Is there anything like Oba of ilorin?
Ilorin has an emir which simply makes it a fulani emirate. Haven't you wondered why its located in Northern nigeria in the first place?
All Igboland outside SE has obi or Eze.

Yorubas own Ilorin. The emir is a religious head. Ilorin is a predominantly muslim population that has no problem with a fulani emir. Now where is the problem?

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Nobody: 9:53am On May 15, 2015
Shittaakeem:

Bros is Gambari a Yoruba name? I am not even referring to the title. The fulani descendants of Alimi have been ruling the town for over a century now
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by VirginFinder: 10:01am On May 15, 2015
semitunde:

OBE? Pictures of the ceremony or...

I agree with some of your points here. Don't agree on others .

While the ministerial slots are performance inclined, the political posts are strategy inclined and are as important if not note important than the ministerial slots.

If the president is going to be impeached or a law affecting section of the country is being passed, we would like to be the ones holding the aces. Cal it protection, call it strategic positioni

As Nigeria stands today, the Hausa Fulani have 100% of the NW and 60% of the NE.
While the Yoruba have 100% of the SW and about 20% of the
NC.
This automatically gives them an edge over us.

Hausa-Fulanis will always see Bukola Saraki and other NC Yorubas as Yoruba first and foremost before northerners.
They'll never be deemed fit to represent core northern/Hausa-Fulani interests.
In 2010, when a consensus northern candidate was to be picked to face GEJ in the PDP primaries, Atiku was favoured over IBB and Bukola Saraki because he (Atiku)is Fulani.
Kwara, along with the SW voted for GEJ in 2011. This was against the voting pattern in the core north - NE & NW. In 2015, they joined the SW in booting him out!

When GMB picked Idiagbon as deputy in his first coming, he believed he was being fair to Yorubas and by extension southerners notwithstanding the fact that Tunde Idiagbon is a fellow northerner.
Bukola Saraki also dissed Bio to eventually back a Yoruba man(Ahmed Fatai) as Kwara governor in 2011. Why would he do that if he wasnt out to protect Yoruba interests in Kwara?

The north have voiced out that it will be unfair for both the Senate & House of Reps to be headed by Yorubas - that's why they are clamouring for Speakership seeing that they may not be able to beat Bukola Saraki in the race for the Senate Presidency.Why would they say that if they didnt consider Bukola Saraki as a Yoruba man incapable of protecting core northern/Hausa Fulani interests.

Northern Yorubas will always be
looked upon as South Westerners when appointments are to be made or positions are to be shared.

Be sincere, if you were to vote based on sentiment, who would you choose between GMB and Bukola Saraki? What of between Bukola Saraki and Rotimi Amaechi?
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Armaggedon: 10:07am On May 15, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Yorubas own Ilorin. The emir is a religious head. Ilorin is a predominantly muslim population that has no problem with a fulani emir. Now where is the problem?

assuming they are yorubas, are they the only yorubas who are muslims?

Dont you have yoruba muslims in oyo ogun osun and even lagos, does any of these places have emir?
Why is ilorin's case different? Why are they in the north?
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Rilwayne001: 10:09am On May 15, 2015
superstar1:
Igbos in Kogi and Benue are in which region?
Does that make them non-Igbos.
See the folly of the red cap wearing okoro man.
May God bless you for this^ beautiful reply to that nitwit.
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by VirginFinder: 10:11am On May 15, 2015
vivalavida:
[s]Real identity
My mother is from Iseyin in Oyo State, while my father is from Ilorin in Kwara State. My great-great grandfather originated from Mali and I am talking about some 150 to 200 years ago. And they are Fulani and that is where we got our Fulani connection from. My great grandfather settled in Ilorin preaching the religion of Islam. A section of Ilorin came from Gwandu and they were religious, but my people came there as practising Muslims from Mali with thei
[/s]

Bullshittttt aimed at Fulani patronage. His son(Bukola) has seen the light and retraced his steps. Remember the Father-Son quarrel.
He(Bukola) has realised that no matter how hard he tried he could never be Fulani or regarded by any reasonable person as one.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Chiaka(f): 10:12am On May 15, 2015
Tribal talks again here...........................exit to the next page!
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Nobody: 10:12am On May 15, 2015
VirginFinder:

As Nigeria stands today, the Hausa Fulani have 100% of the NW and 60% of the NE.
While the Yoruba have 100% of the SW and about 20% of the
NC.
This automatically gives them an edge over us.

Hausa-Fulanis will always see Bukola Saraki and other NC Yorubas as Yoruba first and foremost before northerners.
They'll never be deemed fit to represent core northern/Hausa-Fulani interests.
In 2010, when a consensus northern candidate was to be picked to face GEJ in the PDP primaries, Atiku was favoured over IBB and Bukola Saraki because he (Atiku)is Fulani.
Kwara, along with the SW voted for GEJ in 2011. This was against the voting pattern in the core north - NE & NW. In 2015, they joined the SW in booting him out!

When GMB picked Idiagbon as deputy in his first coming, he believed he was being fair to Yorubas and by extension southerners notwithstanding the fact that Tunde Idiagbon is a fellow northerner.
Bukola Saraki also dissed Bio to eventually back a Yoruba man(Ahmed Fatai) as Kwara governor in 2011. Why would he do that if he wasnt out to protect Yoruba interests in Kwara?

The north have voiced out that it will be unfair for both the Senate & House of Reps to be headed by Yorubas - that's why they are clamouring for Speakership seeing that they may not be able to beat Bukola Saraki in the race for the Senate Presidency.Why would they say that if they didnt consider Bukola Saraki as a Yoruba man incapable of protecting core northern/Hausa Fulani interests.

Northern Yorubas will always be
looked upon as South Westerners when appointments are to be made or positions are to be shared.

Be sincere, if you were to vote based on sentiment, who would you choose between GMB and Bukola Saraki? What of between Bukola Saraki and Rotimi Amaechi?

Bros Saraki has denied you please quit embarrassing your self. The question is not whether Yorubas are in illorin or north central but rather are Sarakis yorubas? The Saraki patriarch have come out to reject you people so deal with it
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Chiaka(f): 10:14am On May 15, 2015
Tribal talks again on NEXT page...........................EXIT current thread!
Press END
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Nobody: 10:16am On May 15, 2015
VirginFinder:

Bullshittttt aimed at Fulani patronage. His son(Bukola) has seen the light and retraced his steps. Remember the Father-Son quarrel.
He(Bukola) has realised that no matter how hard he tried he could never be Fulani or regarded by any reasonable person as one.
Shameless man Attachee is not by force. Did bukola tell you he quarelled with his father because he wanted to become Yoruba? Their quarell was simply because he didn't want his sister Gbemisola to succeed him
Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by VirginFinder: 10:22am On May 15, 2015
Armaggedon:

Dont you have yoruba muslims in oyo ogun osun and even lagos, does any of these places have emir?

True, the Emir of Ilorin was originally Fulani but over the years, he has become Yoruba.
The Fulanis have been completely swallowed up by the Yorubas in Ilorin!
Ilorin Yorubas had declared independence from the Oyo empire long before the Fulanis came. The agelong beef has been sustained.

Somewhere in Ondo state, there is a Zaki as traditional ruler. It doesnt stop the people of the town from being Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by VirginFinder: 10:33am On May 15, 2015
chukwudi44:

Shameless man Attachee is not by force. Did bukola tell you he quarelled with his father because he wanted to become Yoruba? Their quarell was simply because he didn't want his sister Gbemisola to succeed him

You are just a pained and envious ibo dullard.
ibos are nowhere in the incoming administration.
Yorubas have got a crucial slot and are set to pick another.
Go and lick your sores.
Yorubas will forever be way above ibos as far as Nigeria's politics is concerned.

I had always gunned for Bukola Saraki long before SW showed interest in the speakership cos I considered it a bit too much to ask having bagged the VP and also an easier way of Yorubas bagging 2 major federal positions using NC as a camouflage. Go and read my previous topics.
When did Bukola Saraki disown Yorubas?
Wait till he runs for President. Your eyes go clear.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by VirginFinder: 10:37am On May 15, 2015
chukwudi44:

Bros Saraki has denied you please quit embarrassing your self. The question is not whether Yorubas are in illorin or north central but rather are Sarakis yorubas? The Saraki patriarch have come out to reject you people so deal with it

Olodo!
Since Bukola was rejected by the north in 2010, both father and son have retraced their footsteps.
They are northerners and Yorubas. They will always represent Yoruba interests in the north and serve as an interface between the SW and core north.
ibos dullards like you can never comprehend that.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by Volksfuhrer(m): 10:55am On May 15, 2015
Armaggedon:

The Yorubas in Ilorin were not only religious but also strategic in their thinking. They were better protected in the caliphate than risking standing alone, prone to attacks. I can only commend their decision to consent to an emir from the house of dan fodio!

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by VirginFinder: 11:32am On May 15, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

The Yorubas in Ilorin were not only religious but also strategic in their thinking. They were better protected in the caliphate than risking standing alone, prone to attacks. I can only commend their decision to consent to an emir from the house of dan fodio!

Weldone bro!
It takes a lot of wit to put these flatttheads who know the truth but choose to pervert it in their humble place.

1 Like

Re: Senate Presidency/speakership: A Win-win For Yorubas by stabillo(m): 11:36am On May 15, 2015
VirginFinder:

True, the Emir of Ilorin was originally Fulani but over the years, he has become Yoruba.
The Fulanis have been completely swallowed up by the Yorubas in Ilorin!
Ilorin Yorubas had declared independence from the Oyo empire long before the Fulanis came. The agelong beef has been sustained.

Somewhere in Ondo state, there is a Zaki as traditional ruler. It doesnt stop the people of the town from being Yorubas.
I think the traditional ruler of Arigidi Akoko; TB Joshua and Gani Adams town is Zaki
Sunday Bolorunduro Awoniyi from Mopa, Kogi State was once the chairman of Arewa Consultative Forum ( ACF), that doesn't make him less Yoruba

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tambuwal Has Capacity To Defeat Buhari, Group Tells PDP / Reuben Abati Advises Sanwo-Olu Against Making ‘Empty’ Promises / I Spent 124 Days In Police Custody - Dino Melaye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.