Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri (12868 Views)

Bombs Rain On Maiduguri As Boko Haram Fighters Attempt To Overrun The City / Photos From The Suicide Bomb Blasts On Maiduguri Mosque This Morning / President Muhammadu Buhari Reacts To Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri Mosque (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by SleekyP(m): 1:44am On May 15, 2015
SleekyP:
At least 65 people, mostly suspected members of the Boko Haram insurgents, were feared dead in a clash with troops of the 7 Division, Nigerian Army around Ladi Kayamula village, Maiduguri, Borno State, on Wednesday.

Many people also sustained various degrees of injury while trying to flee the scene of the attack.

The Nigerian Army has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the troubled city.

The imposition of the curfew was announced in a statement signed by Col. Tukur Gusau, Deputy Director, Army Public Relations.

Gusau said: “In view of the recent development within Maiduguri metropolis, a 24-hour curfew is hereby imposed in the city. This is done to protect lives and property of innocent and law abiding people of Maiduguri.”

The insurgents launched an attack on the city at about 5p.m on Wednesday.

The attack forced many residents at the outskirts of the city – areas like Giwa Military Barracks, the University of Maiduguri community, 202 and 303 Housing Estates, Dalori Quarters and Molai, among others, to scamper for safety.

The panicked residents attempted to flee into the main town, but were trapped due to roadblocks mounted by the military and men of the Civilian JTF.

Sources told our correspondent that the Boko Haram terrorists attempted to invade the city with heavy weapons, targeting military formations, including the 21 Armoured Brigade (Giwa Barracks).

It was learnt that 35 members of the sect, including women suicide bombers were killed by troops, while 27 residents of Ladi Kayamula and Alau Dam villages were murdered by the insurgents after being repelled by troops.

Mallam Abba Alau, who participated in the mass burial of the slain residents, said after the killing, the terrorists ran towards Sambisa forest.

“We were able to bury the 27 people killed by the terrorists. While fleeing from the military, they ran into our community and wrecked havoc before heading towards Sambisa forest,” he said.

Another source said three members of the security operatives were also killed, with others sustaining injuries when some women suicide bombers, who disguised as fleeing residents of Bale village near Ladi Kayamula detonated explosives close to where troops were operating. This could not be confirmed.

Our correspondent learnt that the imposition of the curfew on Maiduguri and its environs was to allow security operatives trail and apprehend scores of suicide bombers, mostly women, who were believed to have sneaked into the town.

“The curfew was declared because during the operation, many insurgents found at the scene of the attack had Improvised Explosive Devices, IEDs, tied to their bodies, and that security agencies suspected that some of them might have sneaked into Maiduguri and nobody wants to take chances,” a source said.

Our correspondent also observed that six combatant helicopters have arrived the Maiduguri Air Force Base to be deployed against the insurgents.

The imposition of the dusk to dawn curfew forced students writing their West African Examinations Council, WAEC, examinations to trek long distances to their centres as there were no vehicular movement in and around the metropolis, even as shops, offices, markets remained under lock and key.

Meanwhile, Defence Headquarters, DHQ, yesterday confirmed the return of normalcy to Ladi Kayamla and Maiduguri, saying troops were in full control of the situation.

The DHQ, which confirmed Wednesday’s attack through its Director of Defence Information, DDI, Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said the band of terrorists who detonated two female suicide bombers ahead of their attack on Ladi Kayamla near Maiduguri, was routed by troops in the area.

The attack is being seen as diversionary, with the intention of slowing down the ongoing assault on Sambisa forest and was believed to have been carried out by those escaping from the terrorists’ locations that have been routed or destroyed.

“Normalcy has been restored as the troops conduct a mop up of the area while the offensive on all terrorists forest locations continue,” Olukolade said.

1 Share

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by chekasforchekas: 2:26am On May 15, 2015
You write finish still be FTC, Na only you Waka come?

2 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by bakila: 5:56am On May 15, 2015
chekasforchekas:
You write finish still be FTC, Na only you Waka come?
you are hereby made first to comments....
I don clean him comment.
SleekyP:
[/quote]
[quote author=SleekyP post=33750298]
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by sukkot: 7:14am On May 15, 2015
boko is a ram. speaking of rams, the zodiac house aries has housed and will house the planet uranus for the next five years. the planet has stopped in aries in what is called a retrograde. so these are revolutionary times. war times

2 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by SHARIAREPORTERS: 7:15am On May 15, 2015
Permit me to say I s l a m

2 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by kullozone(m): 7:15am On May 15, 2015
COWards

1 Like

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by umarc19: 7:15am On May 15, 2015
Alhamdulillahi alaa Kullu Haalin.

More grease to the elbows of our great and gallant soldiers.

May God Almighty be by your side.

3 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by Nobody: 7:17am On May 15, 2015
Not again
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by LordMecuzy(m): 7:17am On May 15, 2015
I'm Here
Kudos to our Gallant Soldiers
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by umarc19: 7:17am On May 15, 2015
SHARIAREPORTERS:
Permit me to say I s l a m

Permit me to say I N F I D E L.

4 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by freshness2020: 7:18am On May 15, 2015
...please give Dem not a breathing space.
..if the armies lay their cools, they will reinforce like pests.
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by MrKIZITO(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2015
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by tuoyoojo(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2015
Ok

Soldiers have to be extra viligant especially when welcoming "displaced people". Kudos to nigerian military and the civilian JTF who put their lives at risk to safe guard dis country

I wonder that wud have being told to those women suicide bombers that wud make them lose their lives like dat. Go to hospitals and see how people are hanging on to their lives and u see a healthy person just throwing away theirs!

The mind of a terrorist! Who can fathom!

3 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by expozey(f): 7:19am On May 15, 2015
Bokoharam will be defeated. It might take time but one thing is sure, evil NEVER overcomes good.
May the dead find rest. May the living find peace.

1 Like

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by Akynzodeighbour(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2015
When will these people go into extinction or expiration.... Nonsense and wasted sperms

1 Like

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by chaz007(f): 7:19am On May 15, 2015
Since the nutcase insurgents have signed to die early and not grow old, the army shld see to it they all die young.
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by Pavore9: 7:21am On May 15, 2015
So painful.
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by Nobody: 7:21am On May 15, 2015
Kill'em all

1 Like

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by generaluthman: 7:21am On May 15, 2015
Why dis pple hobby na to kill
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by ralph28(m): 7:21am On May 15, 2015
My prayer is that very soon,BH will be thing of the past.

God will rest them in peace.
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by kentosman(m): 7:22am On May 15, 2015
I am not surprised that these attacks are still bold at this stage. What do you expect when our military was using their air ordnance capabilities to video escaping militants as if na Home video?
Mtcheeeeewwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMXqkXrMVRQ

Had it been that i was the one flying that combat bird, then they would have prepared me for insubordination trial or even maximum punishment as i will not spare any single soul on the mission. I dont know why some people still have this belief that Chibok girls will still be seen and rescued. Those people nursing the idea that these girls are held hostage somewhere for over a year really need brain implant. Even if they are still there alive, the only usefulness they will be of now is to assist the boko haram idiots to ferment suicide bombings. Nothing found in that sambisa forest should be spared at all. Everything including the wild Animals are all boko accomplices for now.

''Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.'' — Muhammad Ali

5 Likes

Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by idupaul: 7:24am On May 15, 2015
Seems the South African Mercenaries have dis engaged their service in view of May 29 handover
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by swisschris(m): 7:25am On May 15, 2015
If only there dad used gold circle
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by jamsboy(m): 7:26am On May 15, 2015
It wll all become a past tense
When baba sworned in

GMB my mentor #
Tinubu my director #
Nairaland ma board #
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by kent79: 7:31am On May 15, 2015
OMG!
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by 20bc(m): 7:32am On May 15, 2015
I thought boko haram was a thing of the past
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by newmuzik: 7:32am On May 15, 2015
are you bored? do you like love stories and sex stories that could blow your mind? click here http://www.browngarri.com/category/true-story/
Re: 65 Killed In Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri by mekadinho(f): 7:32am On May 15, 2015
THOSE GUYS NO DEY TIRE? THEY REMIND ME OF "BOSS" FOLLOWERS IN FOREIGN MOVIES, THE MORE U KILL THEM THE MORE THEY COME OUT TO FIGHT, THEIR BRAIN DEY FOR CEILING BIKONU.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari Mourns Amodu Shuaibu / Can You Vote Fashola For President In 2015? / Vehicle Laden With Explosive Destroyed By Military In Konduga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.