Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race (10992 Views)

Chuka Umunna Weds Alice Sullivan / Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK / Chuka Umunna Shows Off His Girlfriend For First Time (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by ChangeisHere: 11:35am On May 15, 2015
Shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna has withdrawn from the Labour party leadership contest.

Mr Umunna, 36, had been the second candidate to declare his intention to stand, via a post on his Facebook page.

But the MP said in a statement that he was not comfortable with the level of pressure and scrutiny that came with being a leadership candidate.

BBC correspondent Eleanor Garnier said it was a "huge shock" as Mr Umunna had been seen as one of the frontrunners.

She added that she understood there was no scandal that lay behind his decision to step aside.

Rather, Mr Umunna felt that due to the "sheer pressure" of the contest it was not the right time for him - or his family - to put himself forward.
'Further reflection'

A rising star of the party, Mr Umunna was first elected to Parliament in 2010 before joining the shadow cabinet.

He confirmed his candidacy for the Labour leadership on 12 May, saying the party under Ed Miliband had failed to appeal to enough voters in England.

But in a statement on Friday he announced his intention to withdraw from the race.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32748106

1 Like

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Tearg1: 11:38am On May 15, 2015
He just pulled a master stroke!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by ChangeisHere: 11:39am On May 15, 2015
There are rumours that a UK newspaper will be publishing something very bad about his personal life

"I have not found it to be a comfortable experience."

The shadow business secretary said he had wondered if it was too soon for him to stand for the leadership, and "I fear it was."

He also cited concerns about the impact on "the rest of one's life" and those close to him.

"Consequently, after further reflection, I am withdrawing my candidacy," he said.

2 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by okooloyun1(m): 11:42am On May 15, 2015
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2015
mdfd: something tells me that he's simply not just over-ambitious

2 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Autolord: 11:44am On May 15, 2015
An Igbo man will rule the United Kingdom very soon. Maybe not now but, very soon. Why are the Igbos taking over the world?

11 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Lovexme(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2015
Trending on twitter.
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by feedthenation(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2015
Why the sudden change of his intention - he was one of the first to declared running for the leadership post.
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by AnneMomoh: 11:44am On May 15, 2015
Hmm, nice Bold attempt

1 Like

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Ezenwammadu(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2015
What did he commit that makes him afraid of media scrutiny.

lt is very unusual for lgbos to back down from a fight even if he knows he will lose.At least he would have left a mark

8 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by craleonic: 11:45am On May 15, 2015
Nigerians don't bend to pressure easily like this jor. There is much more to this.

3 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by fabulousdora(f): 11:45am On May 15, 2015
The federal government should try and reduce the no of political party in nigeria just like americans it ll enable them fish out thieves and reduce desperation for power....
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by umarc19: 11:45am On May 15, 2015
Here is his full statement:

‘Shortly before the election campaign, I made the decision, in the event that Labour was defeated and a new Leader was to be elected, to stand for the leadership of the party if there was a desire in the party for me to do so.

‘I dearly hoped Labour would win the election and it was a decision I would not have to implement. I also thought I understood the scrutiny and attention a leadership contest would bring.

‘As a member of the Shadow Cabinet, I am used to a level of attention which is part and parcel of the job. I witnessed the 2010 leadership election process close up and thought I would be comfortable with what it involved.

‘However since the night of our defeat last week I have been subject to the added level of pressure that comes with being a leadership candidate. I have not found it to be a comfortable experience. One can imagine what running for leader can be like, understand its demands and attention but nothing compared to actually doing it and the impact on the rest of one’s life.

‘Consequently after further reflection I am withdrawing my candidacy. I apologise to all those who have kindly supported and encouraged me to to do this and for disappointing them. I know this will come as a surprise to many but I had always wondered whether it was all too soon for me to launch this leadership bid – I fear it was.

‘Most importantly, I continued to have very real concerns and worry about this bid’s impact on those close to me. I intend to carry on playing my full role as a proud member of our Shadow Cabinet taking on the Tories. I also hope to play a leading role in Labour’s campaign to keep the UK in the EU during the forthcoming referendum which is absolutely crucial. Most importantly, I will as ever continue to serve the area I know and love – the Streatham parliamentary constituency.’

1 Like

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by dunkem21(m): 11:45am On May 15, 2015
A master stroke ..pull out when the ovation is loudest and make people want more. It is the same principle of surprise that GEJ pulled to remain a Hero!

Umunna ..MY ROLE MODEL!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Boscojugunu(m): 11:46am On May 15, 2015
D igbo boy no get liver

1 Like

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by handie(m): 11:47am On May 15, 2015
Does this Umunna of AA fellow even know Nigeria? Would his labour leadership have been of benefit to Nigeria and Nigerians in anyway? Does he understand kedu? Abeg leave this Umunna fellow and let's focus on issues concerning Nigeria and Nigerians jare.

4 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by maverick24(m): 11:47am On May 15, 2015
Impressive but honestly I don't buy this His excuse for stepping down. I guess strong propaganda is on the loose here. He might not have the opportunity again
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 11:47am On May 15, 2015
It's part of the awareness strategy....a good politician knows when to stay...when to walk away and when to run....you will get there someday....#God bless our hustle.

1 Like

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by sukkot: 11:47am On May 15, 2015
oyinbo done yab am tire the guy run. the guy allowed himself to be gassed up by tony blair

6 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by igbsam(m): 11:48am On May 15, 2015
They have discovered a skeleton in his cupboard and threatened him with it

6 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Boscojugunu(m): 11:49am On May 15, 2015
Boscojugunu:
D igbo boy no get liver
angry grin

1 Like

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 11:49am On May 15, 2015
Boscojugunu:
D igbo boy no get liver
shut up you child of hate and anger from the jealous tribe. Since you get liver tell me how many of your tribesmen in British Parliament if not to drive taxi in UK

9 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by stabillo(m): 11:50am On May 15, 2015
sad

2 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by Bants(m): 11:50am On May 15, 2015
The guy is super cool but UK is not ready for a black PM

2 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by madridsta007(m): 11:51am On May 15, 2015
Boscojugunu:
D igbo boy no get liver

Hehehehe! He announces, he is a Nigerian.

He withdraws, he is an 'Igbo boy'

Okay o. Kontinu.

9 Likes

Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by veraponpo(m): 11:52am On May 15, 2015
Why did you dash our hope of producing another Obama?

My hope was high on you man.

why
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by ApexTitan(m): 11:52am On May 15, 2015
ChangeisHere:

There are rumours that a UK newspaper will be publishing something very bad about his personal life

And here you are helping the whisper campaign. Well done.
Re: Chukwa Umunna Withdraws From Labour Leadership Race by doyinbaby(f): 11:52am On May 15, 2015
Media scrutiny is something politicians can't escape sorry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sagay: Corrupt Judges Should Suffer Fate Of Ordinary Men / Orumba North And South Join Forces, Vow To Deliver Orumba Son Maduka At Anambra / S’east, S’south, Middle Belt Form Alliance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.