Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,946 members, 7,799,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (246919 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:32am On Jul 04, 2015
Continue from the last post....
[b][size=14pt]
MLS previews: Seattle hope to stop the rot, and the Gold Cup is finally here
[/size]
Los Angeles hosts Toronto FC to celebrate the Fourth of July
LA are hosting Toronto FC at StubHub on Saturday, and have already drawn up a poster appropriate for the Fourth of July weekend. The image of a resplendent Bruce Arena riding a bald eagle is, of course, slightly ironic, considering how Toronto’s fortunes have heavily relied of late on two American players, one of whom – the often soft-spoken Michael Bradley – is now the US national team captain. Meanwhile, most of LA’s recent surge has come through the return of Irishman Robbie Keane and the scoring consistency of Brazil’s Juninho, two players who will no doubt welcome the addition of Englishman Steven Gerrard to the side next week.
Ideally, this game should be a barn-burner, though it will be diminished by a few key absences for the visitors, including Bradley, Jozy Altidore and Jonathan Osorio. Nevertheless, an in-form Sebastian Giovinco may have enough to trouble LA for a goal or two. In the end, however, Toronto FC should be happy with a draw.
Real Salt Lake hopes to keep good times going against Orlando
Hurt by injury through much of the season and now set to yet again lose the heart of their team to the Gold Cup, Real Salt Lake is nevertheless very much in contention for a post-season spot. Moreover, they have a small reason to celebrate after a 2-0 US Open Cup victory at Rio Tinto against a difficult Portland Timbersside, with goals provided again from Sebastian Jaime and Olmes Garcia.
They’ll face Orlando City SC, fresh off their own dos-a-cero against the Columbus Crew. Orlando fans have had a lot to celebrate lately, not least rumours of an impending Chicharito signing (though he’ll be nursing an injury for a while if he does join). And while Cyle Larin will be away with Canada for Gold Cup duty, the team emerged relatively unscathed by international call ups this month. Orlando, with three wins in their last five matches led in part by Kaka, have every reason to push for a result in Utah.[/b]

www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/03/mls-previews-seattle-gold-cup

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:48am On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Odion Ighalo: Getting Set for Premiership Challenge
[/size]
When Odion Ighalo’s Watford booked the promotion ticket to Barclays English Premier League, a lot of Nigerians celebrated the feat because it had added more to the number of Nigerians plying their trade in the Premiership. However, while managers of top clubs like Chelsea, the two Manchester teams-City and United and of course Arsenal, would be mapping out strategy on how to win the title, what would be occupying the minds of Ighalo and his Watford side would most likely be how to avoid the drop. Watford is likely to go through difficult periods next season. But if their managers retain the backing of the players, resisting the urge to wield the axe could well be the right decision. Ighalo has been a key member of the team, and his contribution to Watford's success cannot be undermined in any way. His 20 goals were the third highest in the English Championship and second only to Troy Deeney, who was his club's top scorer with 21 goals. As the 2015/16 English Premier League kicks off in August, Kunle Adewale asks if the former Udinese of Italy forward can reproduce his Championship’s performance when Watford start their Premiership campaign considering that most promoted teams always struggle in the Premier League
After promotion from the Championship, the temptation can be to embark on a frenzied summer of transfer spending. QPR spent huge sums on 17 new players in their disastrous 2012/13 season, while Crystal Palace endured a nightmare start to the 2013/14 campaign after signing no fewer than 16 players following their promotion via the play-offs. The lesson for Watford is that they must target quality over quantity. There is need to add to their squads to cope with Premier League football, but dramatic overhauls usually have a damaging effect.
At the end of February, Watford Nigerian striker, Ighalo was the hottest property in English football since the turn of the year and was already driving his side towards the Premier League. The striker had scored 13 goals in nine games in February as Slavisa Jokanovic’s men remain in the top six and in the hunt for a return to the Premier League after eight years.
Watford clinched promotion to the Premier League in dramatic fashion as their rivals slipped up in the final seconds with two games to go. The Hornets had moved to the brink of reaching the top-flight with a 2-0 win at Brighton earlier, yet it seemed like the Championship leaders would be made to wait for promotion by the results of the chasing pack.
However, fourth-placed Norwich played a 1-1 draw at Rotherham and third-placed Middlesbrough slumped to a 4-3 defeat at Fulham after conceding a last-minute goal, which was enough to seal Watford’s return to the Premier League after an eight-year absence.
“When I was in Nigeria, everyone would watch the Premier League. Now I will play in it every weekend. My family and everyone are very happy and they have sent me messages saying they are looking forward to watching me in the Premier League next season," Ighalo said.
Ighalo has achieved his dream of reaching the Premier League and the Watford striker believes the Hornets are capable of remaining in the top flight. And it means Watford will be travelling to the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United next season, a prospect Ighalo set his sights on when he arrived at Vicarage Road last summer.
“Playing in the Premier League is one of my dreams. I have played in Serie A and La Liga and I came to England not to play in the Championship; I saw the team had everything to win promotion. So I thank God my contribution was good and I thank God that we are in the Premier League. I am looking forward to the Premier League next season,” he said.
Watford is already tipped for a battle against relegation next season but Ighalo believes the Hornets are more than capable of staying up.
He said: "We understand the way we play and after a couple of months in the Premier League we will understand how the other teams play. I believe we can stay there. It won’t be easy but I believe we can compete."[/b]

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/odion-ighalo-getting-set-for-premiership-challenge/213844/
To be continued in the next post....

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:54am On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Odion Ighalo: Getting Set for Premiership Challenge
[/size]
Ighalo has experience of top flight European league. He played for Udinese in Serie A and helped Granada clinch promotion to and then remain in La Liga. The 25-year-old believes he would be capable of performing in Premier League but admits he may need a small period of adjustment.
“I have played in the Italian league and in the Spanish league and I don’t think there will be too much difference. The tempo is very high but I will work hard. When this season started I was not playing and I wasn’t used to the Championship. Once I got used to the league, you saw I can give my best. So I am happy and I am looking to showcase my talent in the Premier League.
“We were watching on our phones and listening to the Middlesbrough and Norwich City results. Everyone started jumping inside of the bus when Middlesbrough lost at Fulham and Norwich drew at Rotherham United. That is what we were waiting for and we are very happy. We thank God and we have achieved our dream for this season. We are looking forward to the Premier League,” Ighalo said.
Tickets were virtually sold out for Watford’s final game of the season and Ighalo, as always, had a message for the Golden Boys faithful.
He said: “The fans are amazing and they have been amazing from day one. They are Premier League fans so I am looking forward to having them in the Premier League with us.”
Particularly indispensable has been the contribution of Ighalo to the cause. The 25-year-old only managed four goals for the Hornets before the New Year, but struck 16 times in 2015. His goals have been crucial, propelling the club from sixth place at the start of the year to top spot with one game to play.
In the grueling 46-game season that is the English Championship, player burnout is a very present danger. One can imagine then that Ighalo saving his best for last has effectively given Watford a second wind while others floundered.
However, for newly-promoted sides facing a possible relegation battle in the top flight, it is crucial to keep players fresh for the gruelling final weeks of the season. Fatigue was an issue for Burnley in particular in 2014/15. Sean Dyche’s squad lacked adequate depth and the Clarets made just 89 substitutions all season – the fewest of any Premier League side. By contrast, only Manchester City and Chelsea made more than Leicester's 111 changes.[/b]

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/odion-ighalo-getting-set-for-premiership-challenge/213844/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:10am On Jul 04, 2015
Continue from the last post....
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles’ll Find it Difficult Getting Dedicated Players – Owolabi
[/size]
Owolabi, who became a cult hero at Shooting Stars alongside Segun Odegbami, Moses Otolorin, Muda Lawal (deceased), Kunle Awesu, Sam Ojebode (deceased) and Best Ogedegbe (deceased) after establishing himself as one of the best left wingers in Nigeria in the eighties, added, “In our days, we were loyal and dedicated to our clubs and the national team.
“We were ready to die for our country. We were treated with respect. But the situation in the national team is different today. It’s sad.
“We must do something for our players to bring out the best in them. No player can show his loyalty on the field if he is not sure of his bonus.”
The Ghana ’78 Africa Cup of Nations bronze medallist urged the Nigeria Football Federation to make the Eagles stronger by supporting the team.
He says the NFF should provide sufficient funds for matches to enable Nigeria coach Keshi to concentrate on his job.
“The media can help the team by not criticising the coach and his players after a bad result,” Owolabi added.
“They can advise the coach through the NFF.
“We should learn from the Germans. They (the German media) didn’t criticise their national team coach (Joachim Low) when the team was struggling in the Euro 2016 qualifiers – after winning the World Cup. They encouraged the team.”
Owolabi, who holds a doctorate degree in Physical Education, urged the NFF to pay serious attention to the development of the domestic league, adding that the country should be thinking of making the home-based players the spine of the senior national team.
“The bulk of the team should come from the domestic league players,” he said.
The 1992 CAF Cup winner says the Eagles cannot afford to miss out on a place in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon after they failed to qualify for the last edition in Equatorial Guinea.
He said, “We must qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations. Many Nigerians are more concerned with the success of the Super Eagles than other issues.
“The success of the team is most topical issue in the country today. It’s not oil subsidy or unemployment. Many Nigerians love football.
“Many Nigerians were angry with the coach and the players when we failed to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
“Football is a unifying force in the country. There was great jubilation in the country when the Eagles won the Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa two years ago, despite our problems.
“We should invite our best players for the qualifiers. We can’t afford to stay out of the tournament again.”[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/eaglesll-find-it-difficult-getting-dedicated-players-owolabi/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:44am On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Fix Lagos National Stadium for Eagles-Egbe Tells NSC
[/size]
BY GEORGE ALUO
FIFA match agent and stadium facility expert, Ebi Egbe has decried the home-less face of the Super Eagles even as he urged the National Sports Com­mission (NSC) to end the trend by renovating the National Stadium, Lagos for the team.
Egbe said the present situation where the Eagles move from one city to the other playing on sub-stan­dard turfs is affecting the team’s performance.
Throwing his weight, behind the call by former Eagles captain, Sunday Oliseh for the Eagles to return to Lagos which is the traditional base of the team, Egbe said such a move would see the Eagles bounce back in full force when they play at home.
“I perfectly agree with Oliseh,s position that the NFF should bring the Eagles back to Lagos. But for that to happen, the authorities must fix the Na­tional Stadium in Lagos. That arena remains the number one home of the Super Eagles..,” Egbe said. The Bayelsa born soccer buff whose outfit Monimi­chelle has handled some of the best stadium projects in the country said he would be ready to partner the NSC in the task of getting the Lagos national stadium back to life. “I am ready to partner the NSC in the task of bringing that stadium back to life. As a company with the latest technology when it comes to playing turf, Monimichelle would do a job that Nigerians would be proud of if we are given the opportunity.”
Egbe pointed out that the Eagles must play at home on a turf that is as good as what they are used to in Eu­rope to win matches.
“We must create the enabling environment for Keshi and his boys to deliver. We need to take them to a good turf and a city like Lagos where they would be motivated and fired up by the fans. This is what it used to be in the 70s and 80s. And come to look at it, as a nation, we can’t continue to allow a magnificent and gigantic edifice such as the Surulere arena to keep rotting away.”
It would be noted that Monimichelle constructed the Karkanda stadium turf in Katsina, a pitch which the Eagles rated as one of the best when they played there. The company also constructed the Aper Aku Stadium in Makurdi and it is currently handling the Ifeanyi Ubah FC Stadium project in Nnewi and the Re-grassing of the Samson Siasia stadium 100% natural coconut fibre and cork technology pitch in Yenegoa Bayelsa State.[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/fix-lagos-national-stadium-for-eagles-egbe-tells-nsc/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 04, 2015
Former member of FIFA Executive committee and erstwhile Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Amos Adamu has charged the Super Eagles to rise above the recent challenges to the team.

The football administrator expressed confidence in the potentials of the country to return as a dominant force on the continent as world beaters again.

Adamu counselled the players and managers of the team to stir off controversies that are capable of ruining the Eagles’ chances of progressing to the 2017 Afcon. He particularly identified enmity as the bane of the current national team set up.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:44pm On Jul 04, 2015
Daninya11:
Former member of FIFA Executive committee and erstwhile Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Amos Adamu has charged the Super Eagles to rise above the recent challenges to the team.

The football administrator expressed confidence in the potentials of the country to return as a dominant force on the continent as world beaters again.

Adamu counselled the players and managers of the team to stir off controversies that are capable of ruining the Eagles’ chances of progressing to the 2017 Afcon. He particularly identified enmity as the bane of the current national team set up.
Any time this man speaks , I see the helpless state of the Nigerian football especially that of the NFF. Two of out national teams have just returned from the respective FIFA organised World Cups and their performances where not impressive. All the NFF can do is to trade blames on the Coaches and the players instead of restrategizing for better outings in the subsequent tournaments.
One truth that can not be disputed so easily is the fact that the NFF must also be blamed for national teams' poor outings. The Super Falcons for instance, did not get the necessary preparations and exposure that would make them strong enough to come out victorious in the group of death.
How do you expect such a team to be world beaters.
Coach Edwin Okon has been sacked already, lets see if we get it right with all these careless preparations when major competitions are by the corner.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo Rejects Staggering Chinese Offer
[/size]
Nigeria international Odion Ighalo has turned down a bid by Chinese club Hebei China Fortune to land him this summer for a fee of £10 million.
The former Granada hit man told AfricanFootball.com he won't leave England for China as he has lot to offer in the English Premier League and that he is young for such move.
"My club informed me of interest from a Chinese team to sign me. I will not leave England for China now at my age. I still got a lot to offer here in England,” he informed AfricanFootball.com
"My career progress is my priority now and not money. I am sure by his grace I can get that money here if I keep doing well."
However, he said he appreciates interest in him from several clubs.
"The interest in me from clubs is good, it is normal when a striker is doing well, it’s as a result of hard work and God's favour," he told AfricanFootball.com
The former Granada forward scored 20 goals in 39 games to help Watford win promotion to the EPL.
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/542315/Ighalo-rejects-staggering-Chinese-offer

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2015
Orkpekyandega:

Any time this man speaks , I see the helpless state of the Nigerian football especially that of the NFF. Two of out national teams have just returned from the respective FIFA organised World Cups and their performances where not impressive. All the NFF can do is to trade blames on the Coaches and the players instead of restrategizing for better outings in the subsequent tournaments.
One truth that can not be disputed so easily is the fact that the NFF must also be blamed for national teams' poor outings. The Super Falcons for instance, did not get the necessary preparations and exposure that would make them strong enough to come out victorious in the group of death.
How do you expect such a team to be world beaters.
Coach Edwin Okon has been sacked already, lets see if we get it right with all these careless preparations when major competitions are by the corner.

Shabby preparations can only get us shabby result..
My dad will say a PROMISE CHILD MUST GO THROUGH A RIGOROUS PROCESS BEFORE HE OR SHE BECOMES A REFINED AND FINISHED PRODUCT..
We want to reap were we have not sown. What baffles me is that they will ask us to pray. Why should I waste my Strength to pray for lazy people??. . God will never suspend the law of nature for lazy unprepared people. That will be unfair on his path.. what you give is what you get. we will never learn. we keep going back to the drawing board, the board is filed don't you think it's high time we discard the so called drawing board..
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 04, 2015
Former Super Eagles defender and ex international Sam Sodje has backed Nigeria to recover from their slump in form and qualify for the 31st edition of the Afcon in Gabon.

The former Defender who was capped 4 times between 2005 and 2009 stated that for the Eagles to make sure of qualification for the 2017 AFCON, they need to take every single group match very seriously.

He also called on Nigerians to support the team and rally behind the coach Stephen Keshi as well as the players because they all have a huge task at hand of reviving the Country’s fortune.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
Daninya11:

Shabby preparations can only get us shabby result..
My dad will say a PROMISE CHILD MUST GO THROUGH A RIGOROUS PROCESS BEFORE HE OR SHE BECOMES A REFINED AND FINISHED PRODUCT..
We want to reap were we have not sown. What baffles me is that they will ask us to pray. Why should I waste my Strength to pray for lazy people??. . God will never suspend the law of nature for lazy unprepared people. That will be unfair on his path.. what you give is what you get. we will never learn. we keep going back to the drawing board, the board is filed don't you think it's high time we discard the so called drawing board..
How I wish some elements from NFF where here to read this.
Look at the way these people are going about Keshi, Enyeama and Onazi issue as if we don't have other pressing issues to handle to achieve better results.
I just pity the foreign coaches that will be contracted to handle some of our national teams, given the calibre of persons at the NFF.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 04, 2015
Orkpekyandega:

How I wish some elements from NFF where here to read this.
Look at te way these people are going about Keshi, Enyeama and Onazi issue as if we don't have other pressing issues to handle to acieve better results.
I just pity the foreign coaches that will be contracted to handle some of our national teams, given the calibre of persons at the NFF.

They keep making a mountain out of a mole. They want to cover up for any Possible failure in future. They want a referral should in case we didn't make it to Gabon in 2017..
We are watching in 3HD glasses. ..

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Joel Obi to Torino May Finally Fulfil Keshi's Dream
[/size]
The 24-year-old has endured scant involvement since breaking out in 2011, but his recent move to Torino could prove to be the tonic needed, both for the midfielder and for the n...
Solace Chukwu
By Solace Chukwu
Torino’s calling card remains their great side of the 40s, managed by Ergi Erbstein. They won five straight Scudetti, and their run was halted only by the tragedy of Superga, which saw that entire golden team perish in a plane crash. It is a feat that crosstown rivals Juventus are on the verge of replicating, having won the last four Scudetti. As it stands, i Granata may be unable to do anything about it – they finished the season in 9th place, after all – but under Giampiero Ventura, one of Serie A’s better tactical minds, they play intriguing attacking football.
This is relevant to us because, this past week, Nigeria international Joel Obi completed a transfer to il Toro: €2.4 million on a four-year contract. It perhaps passed under the radar considering that Torino have not attained to that same level of success, but in the long run, this may prove to be the deal of the summer involving a Nigerian player.
The doughty 19-year-old who made his debut for the Super Eagles in 2011 has spent his entire career on the books on Inter, punctuated by an injury-riddled loan spell at now-liquidated Parma. The memory of that first year is now largely faded, but the promise glows dully in Nigerian hearts – this was a player who took on the international scene and the burden of the Super Eagles shirt with a swagger that warmed the cockles. Every touch was deft, every movement mesmeric, he was an accelerant all over the pitch, offering boundless energy but also guile in droves.
Obi| Set for a fresh start in Turin?
That he has failed to push on owes much to fitness troubles. Since debuting for Inter in the 2010/2011 season, this past season was his first without a major injury. Indeed, in the intervening five seasons, he has only completed a full 90 minutes six times in all competitions at club level. This is a devastating number; essentially five years of crucial development lost.
More than that, there was a greater loss to Nigeria in terms of style – the ability to control a game from deep. It is instructive to note the type of midfielder that has arisen in Joel Obi’s absence: Ogenyi Onazi, Fegor Ogude, Reuben Gabriel; all are physical, hard-tackling players, forever busy and buzzing, but unsuited to the sort of refinement and cerebral calm that the Torino man brings to proceedings.
His partnership with John Obi Mikel brought to the fore a technical double-pivot; the Chelsea man with his passing range and tempo-conduction, and Obi with mobility and skill in tight spaces. Their partnership coincided with some of the most prolific football in the national side recently – under Samson Siasia, the Super Eagles averaged over two goals a game.
This move to Torino represents a great opportunity for Joel. His game-time is sure to increase, this can only be good.
Ventura’s 3-5-2 also means the midfielder’s versatility can be exploited. He has frequently filled in as a wing-back at Inter, and with Matteo Darmian continually linked with a move away, that may be where he gets crucial minutes. For the most part though, he may find his greatest competition for game time in the form of highly-rated 21-year-old Marco Benassi, who has had a breakout season with il Granata. For that fee though, the club are well aware of what he brings, and will also have been intrigued that he produced his best Inter performance against bitter rivals Juventus in 2012.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/13285222
To be continued in the next post....

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:21pm On Jul 04, 2015
Continue from the last post.....
[b][size=14pt]
Joel Obi to Torino May Finally Fulfil Keshi's Dream
[/size]
Has the Nigeria midfielder finally found an environment well-suited to his undisputed talents?
The timing of the move is also quite opportune for the Super Eagles.
Ogenyi Onazi’s form had suffered over the last twelve months, and his sparse involvement with Lazio shows no sign of improving going into next term. Similarly, Mikel is at a career crossroads, and was dropped for the last qualifier against Chad by coach Stephen Keshi, ostensibly because he did not “need him”. Considering only one team goes through from the Afcon 2017 qualifying groups, and Egypt are in the same pool – this makes every game a must-win – in Keshi-speak, this was pretty damning.
The Big Boss has already stated his admiration for Joel Obi – a player who he revealed he wanted to build his team around – and was quick to include him in his preliminary World Cup squad, even with a questionable fitness level. If he hits the ground running with Torino, Keshi may finally get what he wanted all along; considering he has been big on rebuilding the Super Eagles, a fully-fit Joel Obi at the epicentre may prove the chief cornerstone.
The prognosis of greatness that followed those early displays for Nigeria has not been fulfilled, but it is encouraging that he has been able to maintain fitness for this last twelve months; perhaps the fever has broken, the tide has turned, and we might finally see the best of Joel Obi in Turin.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/13285222

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo Hoping for a Good Relationship with New Manager
[/size]
Lagos - Jude Odion Ighalo has told News24 he is looking forward to working with new manager, Quique Flores Sanchez at Watford ahead of the new English Premier League season.
The former Atletico Madrid coach was appointed the new Watford manager last month, replacing Slavisa Jokanovic, who won promotion with the Hornets from the Championship last season.
And the Nigeria striker says he is looking forward to a good working relationship with the Spanish manager.
“I’m really looking forward to working with him and having a good relationship,” Ighalo told News24, “I haven’t really been told much but I believe we will have a good working relationship,” the 25-year old said.
Asked if he feels bad knowing he won’t be working with the manager who won promotion with the club, the striker says he’s only concerned about playing and is ready to work with any manager.
“I really don’t have a say in that, it’s not my call. My job is to work hard and deliver for the club and I am ready to do that under any manager.
“My target now is to be ready for the new season and to score as many goals as possible. I will work with the manager the club has chosen,” he said.
[/b]

m.news24.com/Nigeria/Sport/Football/Ighalo-Hoping-for-a-good-relationship-with-new-manager-20150704
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ujah Hits Werder Bremen Hat-trick
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian striker Anthony Ujah scored a second half hat-trick in Werder Bremen’s 11-0 thumping of MSV 1919 Neuruppinon on Saturday, comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.
Ujah replaced Argentine forward Franco Di Santo, who scored a first half hat-trick in ten minutes, at the interval. The Nigerian opened his scoring in the 52nd minute of the encounter for his side’s sixth.
The former FC Cologne forward then made it nine in the 83rd minute before completing the rout three minutes later.
Goals from Assani Lukimya-Mulongoti (36′), Mateo Pavlovic (47′), Julian von Haacke (53′), Fin Bartels (63′) and Levent Aycicek in the 84th minute ensured the Green-Whites kick-started their pre-season campaign on a winning note.
Their next game is against Hansa Rostock on Tuesday at the Ostsee Stadium.
Werder Bremen will begin the 2015/16 Bundesliga campaign at home to Schalke 04 on15 August.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ujah-hits-werder-bremen-hat-trick/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:41pm On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ideye Gets Family Backing To Become EPL Superstar
[/size]
By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Super Eagles striker Brown Ideye will be in red-hot form for West Brom in the 2015/16 season according to his elder brother, Victor, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Ideye, who was in the Super Eagles squad that won the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations became the transfer record holder for the Midlands when he was bought for £10m last summer, though he had a difficult start to life and almost left for the Middle East.
The former Ocean Boys and Dynamo Kiev striker scored four goals in 13 EPL games last season, and seven in all competitions, from 18 appearances.
Victor Ideye, who resides in Ikotun, Lagos, spoke to Completesportsnigeria.com on Saturday, about the expectations of the Ideyes as their own aims to further justify the Albions’ investment in him when the new campaign begins on August 8, 2015.
“Brown hopes to do better than he did last season, and we hope he can achieve all he set out to achieve.
“Our dream as a family is too see him score lots of goals, and become as revered as the likes of Didier Drogba, Tony Yeboah, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Nwankwo Kanu whom he looks up to, for inspiration.
“To achieve all these, of course, he needs to stay fit and that is also what we wish for him as a family. We believe in him,” the elder Ideye told Completesportsnigeria.com.
Meanwhile, Brown Ideye has hailed Nigeria’s west African neighbours, Ghana, as a ‘nice country’ after returning to West Brom for pre-season, following his summer holidays in the country with his family.
Ideye revealed that he has resumed pre-season training with his English Premier League club West Bromwich Albion after holidaying with his family in Accra, Ghana’s ghanasoccernet.com disclosed.
“After family holiday in Accra, Ghana, what a nice country, it is back to training #pre-season mode,” the player wrote on Twitter. Family holiday in Accra Ghana,nice country.”
Aside Ideye, Craig Gardner and Craig Dawson were also among the group of West Brom first teamers who reported back ahead of the 2015/2016 season, with additional players expected at the club, the report added.
Albion face Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg on Wednesday July 8 in a friendly then return to England on Friday July 10 before flying to the USA for a nine-day tour according to their team schedule.
The club are on the verge of a takeover from a Chinese company.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ideye-gets-family-backing-to-become-epl-superstar/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:50pm On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ujah: Why I joined Werder Bremen
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Werder Bremen new signing Anthony Ujah has stated that he joined the club to improve himself as a player after spending three years at FC Cologne.
Ujah told Werder.TV in an interview at Werder Bremen's pre-season camp that he is also relishing the prospect of competing with Argentine forward Franco Di Santo and Melvyn Lorenzen as to who leads Bremen’s attack for the coming season.
“The main reasons I signed for this team is that I want to show people who don't know me what I can do," the Nigerian striker said. "I want to see if I'm good enough and prove to myself that why I came to Werder.
“I want to bring something to the team; I want to repay the trust that the club has shown in me and the help I've been given."
“I'm looking forward to a little bit of competition for places in the same team as Franco.
“Like I said, I wanted a new challenge. Whatever I've achieved in the past doesn't mean anything now – I have to keep improving my game. That's the challenge that I've come to take on here at Werder. On top of that, it's a real honour to play in the same team as Franco.
“To play with him (Franco) gives me a lot of self-confidence and the belief that I can always be better than I currently am."
Ujah spent three unforgettable seasons with FC Cologne and was also quick to admit that he became over-relaxed at his former club and hence he pushed for a move
in the summer.
“I was very relaxed in all aspects of my life. For some people, such a comfort is desirable, but not for me. I always want to be on the move,” he added.
The 25-year-old forward however is looking forward to next week’s international competition in Salzburg.
He said: “For everyone the main goal at the moment is to get as fit as possible. There are a few important friendly matches awaiting us and a highly-contested international competition in Salzburg that I'm really looking forward to.
“They'll all be really good tests of our performance levels that will definitely prepare us in the best way for next season."
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ujah-why-i-joined-werder-bremen/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:02pm On Jul 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Agent: Oshaniwa'll Soon Arrive In Scotland
[/size]
By David Meshioye:
Aware of his impeding new deal at Scottish top tier side, Hearts of Midlothian of Edinburgh, Super Eagles defender, Juwon Oshaniwa is already putting finishing touches to storm the UK in the coming weeks to sign the dotted lines.
His United Kingdom based agent revealed to Complete Sports on Friday, that efforts are in top gear to airlift the former Asdood left-full-back to Scotland, barring any last minute hitches now, that his long expected move to the Scottish side has reached the final stage.
The former Sharks FC of Port Harcourt defender had conveniently secured his work permit from UK Home Office last week, thus giving himself a smooth passage to play active football in the UK, having met the needed requirements as national team player.
A club would apply direct to the UK Government for a work permit, with the well-known requirement being that a player had to have played 75 per cent of his nation’s competitive games within the last two years to qualify.
For the Scottish FA to give their approval, the player in question must have played 75 per cent of his nation’s competitive games – excluding friendly matches – in the two years prior to the date of application.
“We are putting finishing touches to his deal now and all is set for Juwon to travel to sign the dotted lines. He will be traveling down to UK in the coming weeks,” he said.
Juwon last featured for Super Eagles against France at the last FIFA World Cup in Brazil in 2014, where Nigeria failed to advance beyond the second round.
[/b]

uncova.com/agent-oshaniwall-soon-arrive-in-scotland

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
Keshi's appointment terminated by NFF..
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:15am On Jul 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi Wants to Make Impact in UCL
[/size]
Nigeria midfielder Eddy Ogenyi Onazi is looking to make ‘some serious impact’ in the 2015/16 UEFA Champions League, he has told News24.
The 22-year old was on the scoresheet on the last day of last season, as he helped SS Lazio return to the world’s biggest club competition, and ahead of the new season, he says he has already set his sights on featuring in the competition.
“I’m really excited about the prospect to be honest, I’m really looking forward to making some serious impact when it begins.
“It’s going to be another long season and I pray to stay injury free because I really want to play as much as possible.
“I want to be there for my team when they need me and I pray we will have another successful season.”
The Nigerian international has played in the Europa League with Lazio in previous seasons, but says the forthcoming season might be his biggest.
“I think it could be my biggest season because we’re going to have the Champions League, the Serie A, and the Copa Italia.
“It’s going to be a big season and it might be my biggest. I just have to work hard in training and keep proving myself to the manager and hopefully everything will go well,” Onazi added.
[/b]

The nation newpaper 05/07/2015
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:11pm On Jul 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Breaking News: NFF sacks Keshi
[/size]
by: Segun Ogunjimi
The Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) has terminated the appointment of Stephen Keshi as Head Coach of the Senior National Football Team, Super Eagles.
A statement by the NFF Executive Committee on Saturday said the decision was made, “having thoroughly reviewed the reports/findings of the NFF Disciplinary Committee and NFF Technical and Development Committee, as well as having reviewed the actions and inactions of Mr. Stephen Keshi, in the performance of his duties as Super Eagles’ Head Coach.”
The Federation said Keshi was found to ” lack the required commitment to achieve the Federation’s objectives as set out in the Coach’s employment contract.”
” To this end and pursuant to the provisions of Clause 4.3 of the Employment Contract between Mr. Stephen Keshi and the NFF (The Contract) and the various clauses therein, the Nigeria Football Federation has decided to exercise its option to summarily terminate the employment contract of Mr. Stephen Keshi with the Federation with immediate effect.”
It added that the termination was “without prejudice to the settlement of any existing and due financial obligations between the NFF and Mr. Keshi.”
NFF 1st Vice President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, speaking on behalf of the entire Executive Committee of NFF, assured Nigerians that the decision was not taken lightly or with any prejudice, but in the ultimate interest of Nigeria football. He thanked Mr. Keshi for his services to the country and wished him the very best in his future endeavours.
“In the interim, the Super Eagles’ team affairs will be jointly managed by Assistant Coach, Salisu Yusuf and the Technical Directorate of the NFF headed by Coach Shuaibu Amodu, until the Federation names in due course a new Head Coach, who, along with the NFF will chart a new direction for the Super Eagles to ensure credible participation in international competitions and assist in building a sustainable football culture for the country,” said Akinwunmi.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/new/nff-sacks-keshi/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:35pm On Jul 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Adejube Faults Keshi’s Contract Termination
By NAN
[/size]
Dickson Adejube, a former member of the Board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has faulted the rate at which the federation had been removing the national team coaches.
Adejube criticised the frequency of removal of coaches in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), while reacting to the the latest termination of the appointment of a former Super Eagles Coach, Stephen Keshi.
The termination was announced in a statement released in Abuja of on July 4 at the end of a meeting of the executive committer of the federatrion.
Adejube said there would be repercussions over a lack of continuity in the nation’s football management.
The NFF had recently announced the terminated of the appointment of Edwin Okon, a former Super Falcons Coach.
“This is badly timed; a time that we are preparing for competitions, coaches are being sacked. This is the time the NFF is supposed to sit down and think of how to move the teams forward.
“You will see the repercussion, and we will have ourselves to blame in the end,” he said.
The retired FIFA badge referee noted that the NFF was not organised, saying, “instead of rallying to be focused; we need to think very well before we do things, and I wish them goodluck’’.
However, Seyi Akinwumi had during his visit to the unveiling of logo for the Ondo State League Management Committee on July 3 in Akure told reporters that Keshi erred by inviting a non-league player for the Nation’s Cup qualifier aginst Chad in Kaduna.
[/b]

leadership.ng/sports/444830/adejube-faults-keshis-contract-termination

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:43pm On Jul 05, 2015
[size=14pt]
I Haven’t Received Sack Letter – Keshi
[/size]
…To Drag NFF To CAS
Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi, has disclosed from his base in the United States that he is yet to receive any official letter from the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) informing him of his dismissal.
The NFF released a press statement on Saturday night confirming that it had sacked the former Eagles skipper two months after he signed a new two-year deal as head coach of the Nigerian national team.
Keshi has also said he would go to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) to seek redress.
“I haven’t received any letter to that effect. Today is Saturday, anyway,” Keshi told newsmen shortly after the NFF announcement.
“They think their deceit will fool Nigerians? We’ll meet in CAS where justice will prevail,” he said.

dailyindependentnig.com/2015/07/havent-received-sack-letter-keshi/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:53pm On Jul 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Football: Nigeria sack coach Keshi for lack of commitment
[/size]
(REUTERS) - The topsy-turvy troubled relationship between the Nigeria Football Federation and their coach Stephen "Big Boss" Keshi has ended with the NFF sacking him because "he is not committed enough" to the job, the NFF said in a statement.
The former Nigeria international, who coached his country to victory in the Africa Cup of Nations in 2013 and into the last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil last year before losing to France, has been replaced by Shuaibu Amodu, who was appointed Nigeria's technical director last week.
The statement issued by the NFF said it had reviewed Keshi's "actions and inactions" and found he lacked "the required commitment to achieve the federation's objectives as set out in the coach's employment contract."
It added it had "decided to exercise its option to summarily terminate the employment contract of Mr Stephen Keshi with the federation with immediate effect".
An NFF disciplinary committee headed by Chris Green has been investigating allegations that Keshi applied to coach Ivory Coast while under contract with Nigeria.
Keshi, 53, took over the national side in 2011 and led them to a long-awaited third African title two years later.
The charismatic coach then quit the day after their 1-0 victory over Burkina Faso in the final, only to change his mind a day later.
The same thing happened after the World Cup last year when he quit and was then reinstated before threatening to leave again last October after a poor run of results as they failed to qualify for this year's Africa Cup of Nations.
Keshi is the only African coach to qualify two African teams for the World Cup finals - Togo in 2006, as well as Nigeria. He played 64 times for his country and spent the peak years of his playing career in Belgium in the 1980s and 1990s.
[/b]

www.straitstimes.com/sport/football/football-nigeria-sack-coach-keshi-for-lack-of-commitment
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:30am On Jul 06, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF never believed in Keshi, says Amiesimaka
[/size]
Stephen Keshi: sacked by the NFF
A former Green Eagles winger, Adokiye Amiesimaka said on Sunday that he was not surprised at the removal of Coach Stephen Keshi because the current Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) board never believed in him.
Amiesimaka told NAN in Port Harcourt that the termination of Keshi’s two-year contract because he applied for the Ivorian job, would not come to many Nigerians as a surprise.
“It is clear that the moment he was employed and after winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament, it was obvious they did not want him.
“Keshi was not wanted by the NFF. After winning the cup, Keshi ran into different problems with the federation.
“Some top NFF officials made it clear that they wanted a foreign coach; they were merely looking for excuse to throw him out,” he said.
Amiesimaka, a former Chairman of Sharks FC of Port Harcourt, said it could have dawned on Keshi that his employers did not want him.
“I saw it coming, Keshi should have seen it coming, I am sure other Nigerians too should have seen it coming, he was never their choice,” he said.
On Shaibu Amodu as replacement for Keshi, Amiesimaka said the same Amodu was removed in the past because he lacked technical depth.
“Amodu qualified the country twice for the World Cup in 2002 and 2010 and was sacked for a lack of technical expertise.
“I believe Amodu is not the real choice, I think they will prefer a foreign coach. Let’s wait and see how things will go,” he said.
[/b]

www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/07/05/nff-never-believed-in-keshi-says-amiesimaka/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:59am On Jul 06, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Keshi’s Sack, Not a Suprise says Amiesimaka
[/size]
Port Harcourt – A former Green Eagles winger, Adokiye Amiesimaka said on Sunday that he was not surprised at the removal of Coach Stephen Keshi because the current Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) board never believed in him.
Amiesimaka told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt that the termination of Keshi’s two-year contract because he applied for the Ivorian job, would not come to many Nigerians as a surprise.
Stephen Keshi
“It is clear that the moment he was employed and after winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament, it was obvious they did not want him.
“Keshi was not wanted by the NFF. After winning the cup, Keshi ran into different problems with the federation.
“Some top NFF officials made it clear that they wanted a foreign coach; they were merely looking for excuse to throw him out,’’ he said.
Amiesimaka, a former Chairman of Sharks FC of Port Harcourt, said it could have dawned on Keshi that his employers did not want him.
“I saw it coming, Keshi should have seen it coming, I am sure other Nigerians too should have seen it coming, he was never their choice,’’ he said.
On Shaibu Amodu as replacement for Keshi, Amiesimaka said the same Amodu was removed in the past because he lacked technical depth.
“Amodu qualified the country twice for the World Cup in 2002 and 2010 and was sacked for a lack of technical expertise.
“I believe Amodu is not the real choice, I think they will prefer a foreign coach. Let’s wait and see how things will go,’’ he said. (NAN)
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/keshis-sack-not-a-suprise-says-amiesimaka/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:56pm On Jul 06, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ogbeche on Target for Cambuur
[/size]
Dutch top division club SC Cambuur successfully defeated fourth – tier Drachtster Boys 7 – 0 on Saturday in a tune – up game ahead of the newEredivisieseason.
SC Cambuur manager, Henk de Jong, named Bartholomew Ogbeche in his starting XI and the ex Super Eagles striker opened the floodgates after 11 minutes.
The Yellow – Blueswent into the first half interval with a three – goal cushion thanks to Etiënne Reijnen and Sander van de Streek, who netted in the 18th and 26th minutes respectively.
After the intermission, Calvin Mac-Intosch increased the tally before goals from Reijnen, Erik Bakker and Sander van de Streek decided the outcome of the friendly.
In April, Bartholomew Ogbeche extended his contract with SC Cambuur until June 30, 2016 after the club activated a clause in his contract that permits them to hand the Nigerian a one – year contract extension.
The former PSG and Middlesbrough player scored 14 goals in all competitions last season.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/new/ogbeche-on-target-for-cambuur/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 06, 2015
Former Nigeria player and handler Christian Chukwu said coach Stephen Keshi was the architect of his own sack after failing to walk away after failing to qualify the country for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea. The 53-year-old, who was re-appointed as the country’s senior national team coach in April, was kicked out on Saturday evening; with assistant Salisu Yusuf and the Technical Directorate of the NFF, led by Amodu Shuaibu, to take over till a substantive handler is announced.

Chukwu faulted his insistence to remain as the senior national team gaffer saying the Nigeria Football Federation only kept him because they had no option then.

“You know that Keshi and the NFF marriage has been lingering. But if this is what will bring sanity between the NFF and the coach so be it. The handwriting has been there, it is only that Keshi refused to see it,” Chukwu told Goal.

“The thing is that both parties are aware of the contract they signed and one should believe that before they sacked Keshi they (NFF) must have made proper arrangements for the team. So I don’t want to see it as a diversion or crisis. It has happened, so let us look ahead.

“When Keshi was re-appointed it seemed the NFF’s hands were tied. The proper thing for him to do [when he failed to qualify the Super Eagles for Afcon 2015] was to throw in the towel. If the NFF wants him back then they can ask him to come back. It happened to Samson Siasia then and now he is back.”

The Enugu Rangers legend who said Keshi turned down his appeal to bow out honourably appeals to the NFF should do all it takes to fill the void that his dismissal may create.

“So when it happened to Keshi I don’t know the forces that were behind him to stay. If he had quit that time he wouldn’t have been sacked now. When I saw the handwriting on the wall then I properly advised him to resign but did not heed to the advice then,” he continued.

“What I am advising the Nigeria Football Federation is to put in the machinery that won’t create any vacuum because of the sack of Keshi which I believe they have done pending a substantive coach is named.

“From what I read in the dailies coaches Shuabu Amodu and Salisu Yussuf would act in caretaker capacity, maybe the NFF has something bigger coming up. They may employ another coach on a full scale.

“We cannot run the national team on a caretaker coaching level. So it is either they confirm the caretaker people or they employ a Technical Adviser.

“Whether the NFF opts for a foreign coach or local one, I believe that coaches are the same all over the world. You can remember that I was a foreign coach too. I acted as one in Kenya and other place.

“The most important thing is what the coach is bringing to the team for the team to continue to improve, develop and later ranked among the best in world football. Whether it is a black man or a white man what he brings to the table is what matters most”, he concluded.

The Big Boss’s job came under intense scrutiny since the 2-0 victory over Chad after he put a non-league player on the bench and his name also appeared on the FIF website as one of more than 50 coaches applying for Cote d’Ivoire national team job.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (161) (Reply)

Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.