Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (247681 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by lexyman(m): 3:41pm On May 23, 2015
Daninya11:

Okay, let me cite reasons why I chose to use the word, clueless on Keshi..
1.what had keshi done well since the exit of Slyvanus Okpala?.
2.Have you noticed that he don't know when to make substution, who to substitute? ?
3.No definate pattern of play for the super eagles? ??.
4.His poor squad selection
5.His poor way of reading the game. .

To be honest with you, Slyvanus Okpala is the genius behind the success of Stephen Keshi. He is tactically and technically far ahead of Keshi. I tell you Keshi have exhausted his football acumen since the exit of Okpara. . It's high time for him to throw the towel. .
Do you know that Emmanuel Amunike played a major role with the tiki-taka play of the Flying Eagles?? After his exit, it seems like his absent is not felt thanks to the genius, Manu Garba and Nduka Ogbade.. For Keshi, he had nose dive. .

As touching the issue of individual talent, I rather have a bunch of average players who are a team. I think we have formidable players who are a little bit above average who can get results for Nigeria. .
Look at the players Keshi keep inviting, are they not far below par??. I believe we are blessed with players who are far above average who can do us proud. Finidi George was discovered in far away Malta and at a time, he was the best winger in the world.
We won the nation's cup with average players. When Egypt won the nation's cup thrice, they were a bunch of average players who play regular football not a bunch of rookies who are match rusty claiming to be exceptional.
Sir lexyman, a team who play average players can achieve great result if they play as a team..
T-together
E-each
A-achieve
M-more. .

I agreed with you that Keshi has his short comings as a coach , but I must let you know this sir. He once assembled a fantastic team to win the nations cup in 2013 and he can do better than that if he's given the support . Although he has his bad side too as a coach ( he doesn't take responsibility when his team fail or when things go wrong) but I think he would have done well in the past if they didn't denied him of his back room staff , he knows his weakness and he chose some caliber of people to work with, but Nff denied him of the resources he needed to succeed . You can't have a perfect set of crew , Manu can't work alone , he knows he needed Ugbade and as u can see they are doing well together and it's yielding results .The problems we have now was originated from glass house , (Nff) and that is what is also affecting our league . Don't forget ,the product of our league is the reflection of what you are seeing in the super eagles ... Except some individuals who have managed to travel out of the shore of the country to play in some funny league around the world . You and I know that we don't really have any exceptional talents among the international footballers we have ,90% of them are bench warmers .

Please take your mind back to the set of players we had in USA 94 . Majority of them were in major league in the world . And Nigeria league back then was very functional and people were passionate about football ,So was the set of players we had in France 98 . Can you ask ur self what has gone wrong?

The Nff has seen their flaws and they re working at the moment to put things in place ...they have a structure already that they have put in place ....which is training of coaches and building of football academy to encourage the youth .

And don't forget this projects are for the future ...if they fail to restructure our league , it's like back to square one .

My brother ,Keshi is not that bad the way u have painted it to be , if Keshi handles these boys after the World Cup , they can become world beaters and we can be the first team in Africa to win the senior Worldcup.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 4:32pm On May 23, 2015
lexyman:

I agreed with you that Keshi has his short comings as a coach , but I must let you know this sir. He once assembled a fantastic team to win the nations cup in 2013 and he can do better than that if he's given the support . Although he has his bad side too as a coach ( he doesn't take responsibility when his team fail or when things go wrong) but I think he would have done well in the past if they didn't denied him of his back room staff , he knows his weakness and he chose some caliber of people to work with, but Nff denied him of the resources he needed to succeed . You can't have a perfect set of crew , Manu can't work alone , he knows he needed Ugbade and as u can see they are doing well together and it's yielding results .The problems we have now was originated from glass house , (Nff) and that is what is also affecting our league . Don't forget ,the product of our league is the reflection of what you are seeing in the super eagles ... Except some individuals who have managed to travel out of the shore of the country to play in some funny league around the world . You and I know that we don't really have any exceptional talents among the international footballers we have ,90% of them are bench warmers .

Please take your mind back to the set of players we had in USA 94 . Majority of them were in major league in the world . And Nigeria league back then was very functional and people were passionate about football ,So was the set of players we had in France 98 . Can you ask ur self what has gone wrong?

The Nff has seen their flaws and they re working at the moment to put things in place ...they have a structure already that they have put in place ....which is training of coaches and building of football academy to encourage the youth .

And don't forget this projects are for the future ...if they fail to restructure our league , it's like back to square one .

My brother ,Keshi is not that bad the way u have painted it to be , if Keshi handles these boys after the World Cup , they can become world beaters and we can be the first team in Africa to win the senior Worldcup.

sorry, if I may ask hope you aint talking about Garba's boys. Keshi will only destroy those boys. Make im stick to his system of team selection. Garba boys(prob. 70% of them ) should be allowed to prosecute d olympics first.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 23, 2015
lexyman:

I retract back the word clueless..
Great points you raised up.
I still believe in the ability of keshi but from the confederation Cup to this moment, Keshi seems to have run out of ideas. I hope he has bounced back and have Plans to work with others. He needs to work on his personal flaws for the best interest of the country..
And that time is now. He has our support as Nigerians 1000%.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:03pm On May 23, 2015
Keshi Set to Invite Barcelona Defender to Eagles.
Keshi set to invite Barcelona defender to Eagles.
More new faces will get a chance to fight for shirts in the Super Eagles as latest report suggests that Coach Stephen Keshi is ready to invite Barcelona Youth team defender Elohor Godswill Ekpolo for Nigeria’s second AFCON 2017 qualifying game against Tanzania.
According to a Nigeria-based sports publication SportsDay, the Big Boss was quoted as saying that Ekpolo has indicated interest in playing for Nigeria and going by his performances in the Youth ranks of Barcelona, he deserves a look-in.
“I am looking at considering Barcelona youngster Ekpolo for our next game against Tanzania as I have already penciled down those to prosecute the Chad encounter.
“I believe that since the boy has said he wants to play for Nigeria and with how he performed during the UEFA U-19 competition I think he deserves a chance.
“The Eagles need good defenders and since he can play in the central defence or from the right back position it will be nice to see what he can bring in”, Keshi said.
Source: .com/news/3200/keshi-set-to-invite-barcelona-defender-to-eagles
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:51pm On May 23, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
Keshi Set to Invite Barcelona Defender to Eagles.
Keshi set to invite Barcelona defender to Eagles.
More new faces will get a chance to fight for shirts in the Super Eagles as latest report suggests that Coach Stephen Keshi is ready to invite Barcelona Youth team defender Elohor Godswill Ekpolo for Nigeria’s second AFCON 2017 qualifying game against Tanzania.
According to a Nigeria-based sports publication SportsDay, the Big Boss was quoted as saying that Ekpolo has indicated interest in playing for Nigeria and going by his performances in the Youth ranks of Barcelona, he deserves a look-in.
“I am looking at considering Barcelona youngster Ekpolo for our next game against Tanzania as I have already penciled down those to prosecute the Chad encounter.
“I believe that since the boy has said he wants to play for Nigeria and with how he performed during the UEFA U-19 competition I think he deserves a chance.
“The Eagles need good defenders and since he can play in the central defence or from the right back position it will be nice to see what he can bring in”, Keshi said.
Source: .com/news/3200/keshi-set-to-invite-barcelona-defender-to-eagles

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:53pm On May 23, 2015
Daninya11:

I retract back the word clueless..
Great points you raised up.
I still believe in the ability of keshi but from the confederation Cup to this moment, Keshi seems to have run out of ideas. I hope he has bounced back and have Plans to work with others. He needs to work on his personal flaws for the best interest of the country..
And that time is now. He has our support as Nigerians 1000%.
Thats very humble of you
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 8:16pm On May 23, 2015
Keshi Excuses Mfon Udoh from Eagles’ Camp.
Nigeria national team head coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi has excused Enyimba’s forward Mfon Udoh from the camp of the Super Eagles preparing for the 2017 AFCON qualifiers against Chad next month.
The Glo Premier League record goal scorer was released from the camp because of an illness that had sidelined him from Enyimba’s Matchday 10 clash against Elkanemi Warriors in Aba last Wednesday after being assessed by the national team medics.
Speaking about the exit of Udoh from the camp, Keshi insisted that the prolific forward would return to the team once he has fully recovered from his health challenges.
"Mfon Udoh is an important member of this team and he will be back once he has fully recovered," Keshi is quoted as saying on the NFF official website.
"He reported to camp so that the Super Eagles medics can assess and also advise him. They have asked him to take enough rest and avoid any strenuous activity so that his recovery can be faster and more comprehensive.
“Once he fully recovers, he will always get his chance with the team. Keshi stated.
The former Akwa United star who was voted the Most Valuable Player of the 2013/14 season set a new goals record in the Nigerian professional football league last season when he scored 23 goals to surpass the 20 goals league record.
With four goals already this season he is among the premier league top scorers after ten league fixtures in the NPFL which is now on recess.
Source: .com/news/3204/keshi-excuses-mfon-udoh-from-eagles-camp

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 8:22pm On May 23, 2015
Babatunde Fires Volyn to victory.
Michael Babatunde scored his second league goal of the season for Volyn who defeated Sherif Isa's Olimpik Donetsk on Saturday.
The Nigerian also provided two assists for Eric Cosmin Bicfalvi opener in the 23rd minute and Aleksandr Kobakhidze's late strike in the 74th minute.
It was his 12th start this season.
Babatunde who is expected to be included in coach Stephen Keshi's 15 man professional squad for next month's 2017 AFCON fixtures against Chad and Tanzania was adjudged the man-of-the-match award in the encounter.
The win sees Volyn move up to sixth on the Ukrainian log with 33 points from 25 games.
Volyn host Metalurh Donetsk in their final league game next Friday and that could be Babatunde's last game if decided to leave the club in the summer.

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 8:53pm On May 23, 2015
steppin:

No mind that guy. He just listed the old players who contributed nothing.
He even included Emenike and Ikechukwu Uche, who lost their form this season as our best forwards.
What we seriously need in that team is people like Kelechi Iheanacho, Awoniyi and the other guy in Genk.
With these three, Super chickens will change to the Super Eagles they once were.

What do u guys think football is? Academy players to form bulk of the Super Eagles?
Those so called players that failed us last year are mostly players that won the AFCON in 2013 and qualified us for 2014 WC and even getting beyond d 2nd round yet u say they have contributed nothing.
See those are the best and most experienced crop of players we have now and Keshi will have no other option rather than to fall back on them.

U think Senior team football is cadet football?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:56am On May 24, 2015
[quote author=terzurum5 post=34032684][/quote]

This guy looks like an age mate of Gambo Mohammed that plays for Kano Pillars if am not mistaken. Just take a look at his muscles. If he were a local player, no body would believe that he is an U-20 player. Looks even older than my Mikel.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:59am On May 24, 2015
terzurum5:
Babatunde Fires Volyn to victory.
Michael Babatunde scored his second league goal of the season for Volyn who defeated Sherif Isa's Olimpik Donetsk on Saturday.
The Nigerian also provided two assists for Eric Cosmin Bicfalvi opener in the 23rd minute and Aleksandr Kobakhidze's late strike in the 74th minute.
It was his 12th start this season.
Babatunde who is expected to be included in coach Stephen Keshi's 15 man professional squad for next month's 2017 AFCON fixtures against Chad and Tanzania was adjudged the man-of-the-match award in the encounter.
The win sees Volyn move up to sixth on the Ukrainian log with 33 points from 25 games.
Volyn host Metalurh Donetsk in their final league game next Friday and that could be Babatunde's last game if decided to leave the club in the summer.

Babatunde Micheal carry on your good form to the Super Eagles. We missed during the world cup and the Afcon qualifiers, pray we do not miss you this time around.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:36am On May 24, 2015
AFCON: Esiti, Mbakogu May Get Eagles’ Invitation.
Estoril midfielder Anderson Esiti and Carpi forward Jerry Mbakogu may be included in the Super Eagles squad for next month’s African Nations Cup qualifier against Chad.
The home based players invited for the game are already in camp and sl10.ng gathered that Esiti and Mbakogu are two names that have been penciled down by Stephen Keshi for the game.
The duo are among the list of foreign based players expected to be announced this week for the AFCON qualifier slated for Kaduna.
Esiti made 16 appearance in the Portuguese league for Estoril and eight in the Europa league where his fine performances has led to talks of a move to French side, Monaco.
Mbakogu scored 15 goals to help the modest Serie B outfit gain promotion to Italian top flight and he is expected to boost the Eagles forward-line that has been lacking goals of recent.
The 22-year-old is heavily tipped to depart Carpi, with recent reports suggesting Udinese is leading the chase for his signature when the transfer window opens.
Source: thenationonlineng.net/new/afcon-esiti-mbakogu-may-get-eagles-invitation/
Anderson Esiti (born 24 May 1994, Warri) is a Nigerian footballMidfielder who currently plays for Estoril is beleived to be followed closely by Monaco of France.
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Esiti
why Jerry Uche Mbakogu(born 1 October 1992) is a Nigerian footballer who plays for Italian Serie B club Carpi, as a striker.
Mbakogu was born in Lagos, but moved to Italyat early age. In 2002, aged 9, he joined Padova's youth setup, and progressed through the ranks; in 2009 he was loaned to Palermo, being assigned to thePrimaverasquad.
On 28 August 2010 Mbakogu made his Serie Bdebut, starting in a 1–1 draw at Crotone.
Juve Stabia (loan)
Three days later he was loaned to Juve Stabia. [ 1 ]Mbakogu spent 3 years on loan at Juve Stabia, scoring 13 goals in 68 games, before returning to Padova.
Carpi (loan)
On 2 September 2013, Mbakogu joined Carpion loan. [ 2 ]Mbakogu helped Carpi to their highest ever league finish, scoring 7 times in 27 appearances, as theBiancorossiended the season in 12th.
Carpi
On 23 July 2014, Mbakogu moved to Carpi in a permanent transfer, signing a five year contract with the Serie B side. [ 3 ]
Source: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Mbakogu
The pictures of the players are in the order of the said article (Anderson first)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:39pm On May 24, 2015
NFF Confirm Eagles For Katsina Stadium Friendly.
The home-based Super Eagles squad will on Tuesday play a friendly match in Katsina to open a brand new stadium in the Katsina State capital, the Nigeria Football Feceration website confirmed on Saturday.
The Eagles will face Katsina selected side, with kick-off set for 5pm.
The new Karkanda Stadium, which will be declared open on that day, has a capacity of 35,000 and an artificial playing turf. It was only recently completed by the Katsina State Government under the administration of Governor Ibrahim Shema.
The Super Eagles, currently camped in Abuja for preparations ahead of the 13 June AFCON qualifier against Chad in Kaduna, will have a feel of the new pitch on Monday before playing the friendly on Tuesday.
They are expected back in Abuja on Wednesday.
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-confirm-eagles-for-katsina-stadium-friendly-2/.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:42pm On May 24, 2015
Keshi Calls Up 15 For Chad Clash.
—Drops Mikel, Emenike, Echiejile
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has excluded Mikel Obi, Emmanuel Emenike and Elderson Echiejile from his 15-man overseas-based players squad for next month’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Chad in Kaduna.
Keshi however recalled Vincent Enyeama, who missed the international friendly against South Africa, and Rabiu Ibrahim, who has been out of reckoning for a long time.
There were also places for in-form Michael Babatunde and Leon Balogun, who helped Darmstadt gain promotion to the Bundesliga.
Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports that Keshi also called up Groningen defender William Troost-Ekong, Kingsley Madu of AS Trencin in Slovakia and Portugal-based Anderson Esiti.
THE FULL LIST
Goalkeeper: Vincent Enyeama (Lille OSC, France)
Defenders:
Godfrey Oboabona (Rizespor FC, Turkey); Kenneth Omeruo (Middlesbrough FC, England); Leon Balogun (Darmstadt 98, Germany); William Troost-Ekong (FC Dordrecht, The Netherlands); Kingsley Madu (AS Trencin, Slovakia)
Midfielders:
Ogenyi Onazi (SS Lazio, Italy); John Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva); Babatunde Michael (Volyn Lutsk, Ukraine); Rabiu Ibrahim (AS Trencin, Slovakia); Anderson Esiti (Estoril FC, Portugal); Steven Ukoh (Biel-Bienne FC, Switzerland)
Forwards:
Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Aaron Samuel (Guangzhou R & F, China); Odion Ighalo (Watford FC, England).
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/keshi-calls-up-15-for-chad-clash/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:44pm On May 24, 2015
Aluko’s Hull City Relegated to the Championship.
Super Eagles forward Sone Aluko and his Hull City side were relegated from the English Premiership following their 0-0 draw against Manchester United on the last day of the season.
Aluko was brought on for Dame N'doye on 71st minutes to add more attacking threat, but it proved futile, as Manchester United despite losing Maroune Fellaini through a red card, held on for the draw.
Hull City joins Queens Park Rangers and Burnley among the three teams relegated to the Championship division.
Newcastle, on their part secured their Premiership status thanks to a 2-0 home win against West Ham United with goals coming from Moussa Sissoko and Jonas Guitierrez.
Meanwhile, the duo of AFC Bournemouth and Watford City were promoted to the EPL after finishing first and second respectively.
The third team will be decided on Monday May 25 when Middlesborough take on Norwich in the play-off final in Wembley Stadium.
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/alukos-hull-city-relegated-to-the-championship/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:19pm On May 24, 2015
Leon Balogun Gains Promotion With SV Darmstadt.
Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun’s SV Darmstadt 98 have secured a return to the Bundesliga, 34 years after they were relegated.
SV Darmstadt were on the verge of being relegated to the Bundesliga 3 in 2013, only to win the playoffs against Arminia Bielefeld a year later and thus qualify for the 2. Bundesliga.
They defeated St Pauli 1-0 on Sunday to seal one of the two automatic promotion spots.
The Lilies could have sealed the promotion last week, but fell away to Greuther Fürth, losing 1-0.
Balogun played 22 times for Darmstadt and scored four times during the campaign.
They finished on 59 points, five points adrift of winners Ingolstadt on 64.
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/balogun-gains-promotion-with-sv-darmstadt/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:37pm On May 24, 2015
Keshi, Eagles Need Fans’ Support Now – Eguavoen.
Former Super Eagles coach, Austin Eguavoen has called on football stakeholders in Nigeria to give returnee coach of the senior team, Stephen Keshi and his team the needed support to succeed.
Eguavoen urged Nigeria Football Federation, NFF and all football stakeholders to forge a strong alliance to launch Nigeria back onto the global football stage.
Reacting to the re-appointment of Keshi as Nigeria’s Chief Coach, Eguavoen said on Brila FM on Thursday that much could be achieved if the Eagles’ handler and his players enjoyed the fans’ support.
“The NFF has its problem, while the Super Eagles also have theirs, but we can put all that aside and work towards the same goal to achieve success.
“I think if we’re a bit more positive minded and work together we would achieve a lot. Keshi is sitting in the forefront now; he bears the responsibility, but if he makes mistakes hopefully we’ll learn from them for the sake of the coach, the team and more importantly the country,” said Eguavoen.
Meanwhile, with the date for the first leg of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers drawing near, former Nigeria International, Abiodun Baruwa has advised the handler of the Eagles to keep the old brigade together.
The former Eagles’ goalkeeper says the recipe for success this time around in the qualifiers is to ensure there is continuity and consistency in the team.
“The important thing with the national team is consistency and continuity. We have to keep the players together as much as possible, we can’t keep changing all the time, we must be focused, make sure the players are together and they know each other’s strength.
“That’s the much we need to do because we have the talent to take us to the summit of football, but the most important thing is continuity and togetherness,” said Baruwa.
Source: www.newsnow.co.uk>Sport>Football>Africa
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 8:28am On May 25, 2015
Babangida warns Keshi over Chad.
Nigerian former international, Tijani Babanjida, has made a passionate appeal to the Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Stephen Keshi to ensure a harmonious working relationship with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) if he wants to succeed in his second coming as Eagles’ gaffer.
Speaking to Daily Sunsports in Abuja at the weekend, the former Super Eagles winger equally cautioned the Eagles’ coach to be wary of the visiting Chadian national team in the first Nations Cup qualifier encounter, warning that they would come all out against Super Eagles.
TJ, as friends and fans fondly call him, expressed confidence that the return of Keshi is the best thing to happen to Nigerian football, insisting that he needs respect from Nigerians for achieving what no other Nigerian coach was able to achieve.
Asked his take on Keshi’s return, Babangida replied: “I was not surprise that the federation brought Keshi back because I know it will happen once Keshi apologises as demanded by the federation.
“Don’t also forget that the incidence that led to the failure of the Super Eagles to qualify for the last edition of the Nations Cup was not entirely Keshi’s making. There were so many crises in the football house, making it very unsettled.
“Honestly, I have the feelings that Keshi can still do it again. He brought sanity and discipline to the team. He did what no other Nigerian coach did by winning the Nations Cup. Keshi demands little respect from us.
“My advice to him is to ensure a smooth working relationship with the federation. He should know that they are his employers, while the federation should know that he takes responsibilities of what happened in the team. The federation must believe in his technical competence and plans,” he advised.
On the AFCON qualifier clash against Chad, the ex-international said: “Keshi knows the crisis Nigerian football had the last time we did not qualify for the tournament. It almost denied him a fresh contract. I am sure Keshi is going to invite the best legs in Europe to confront Chad, with strong squad because they will come against the Eagles.
“More importantly, Keshi must work on the Super Eagles scoring from 25 yards and set paces, which is currently lacking in the team. Since there are good home-base players doing well now, Keshi must try to find the right mix between the home-based and professional players.
“I know that Chad will certainly come all out to put Eagles under pressure. However, I am very optimistic that Nigeria will pick all the three points at stake, even as it is difficult to predict the scoreline,” he quipped.
Source: sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=121240
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 8:48am On May 25, 2015
Kaita: I Have Unfinished Business In The Super Eagles.
Super Eagles midfielder Sani Kaita insists he is still relevant in the Nigerian national team almost five years after he was labelled the villain in Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup campaign in South Africa. Kaita was sent off for his indiscretion in Nigeria’s 2-1 defeat to Greece.
In this engaging interview, the new Ifeanyiubah United (Gabros FC) signing exclusively tells Comple tesportsnigeria.com’s IZUCHUKWU OKOSI his thoughts on the Super Eagles’ 2017 AFCON hopes and his reasons for returning to the Nigerian Premier League.
You signed for Gabros (Ifeanyiubah United), and not Rangers as you told Complete Sports last week. What happened?
Things change so fast o. Yes, Rangers did approach me, likewise Ifeanyiubah United. I have decided to play for Gabros now. I had a discussion with the Chairman and found out that the club have big ambitions. That is why I decided to sign for them.
Ok. So many of your fans may wonder why you came back to the Nigerian league. What’s the attraction back home…has the standard improved?
I think the league is improving year by year really…
In what aspects exactly, and how can it get better?
Officiating and the football level of course. And LMC has brought good ideas now to improve the league even better. But I think the officials should ensure that the synthetic pitches are watered properly before the start of each game and at half time too. You make it easy to your own players. The LMC need to do something about it because it is injurious to players. The natural grasses are far safer.
Alright. So before you left Kano Pillars for Europe, would you say the standard/level was not better than now?
Well the quality of players were really better before, but now the pitches are better now unlike before. We have better pitches that are television friendly than before.
Maybe the capacity building some ex internationals; coaches, referees and administrators went to London for this year helped too, you think so?
Yea sure. England is the home of football and it is nice to see that they have imbibed those things they learned there. We are talking about learning from some of the best technocrats in the game.
Talking about former internationals, is Sani Kaita now to be known as an ex international or you still eye a call-up to the Super Eagles?
I still want play for my country when I have a chance to do so. I still have the qualities to play for the Super Eagles. I look forward to getting an invitation from Stephen Keshi.
Ok. Midfielders’ main job is not to score goals but do you feel its an area you need to improve on in your game?
Yes sure. Our job is to screen the defence and pass the ball to the strikers to finish off the chances created but we also have goal-scoring midfielders, so I want to score more goals of course.
How was your experiences playing in Europe? Which games were your best and also worst? Any abuses from fans because you are black…Racism problem, that is?
Well I was never a target of racism whilst playing in Europe. My best games were in Russia when I played for Kuban Krasnoder. I played some matches against Lokomotive Moscow before I joined them. I particularly enjoyed one of our games against them. We won 1-0 but I wasn’t awarded the Man-of-the-Match prize. It went to our goalscorer which was painful.
Which means you have to work on your scoring feat as we said earlier?
(Laughter) Definitely, Its a part of my game that I’m working on surely.
So of all the leagues you have played in… Panathinaikos too; what are the things you feel the LMC can adopt to improve the league back home?
The organisation in European leagues are superb. Logistics are less of a problem really. The LMC can learn from this. But I’m happy with the trips recently as we talked earlier.And yea you can see the LMC are improving the league now, but they have to do something about the pitches before the match, just to make sure they wet them before and during the half time.
The Super Eagles now have Stephen Keshi returned as substantive coach of the Nigerian national team ahead of the 2017 AFCON qualifier against Chad. What isyour blueprint to Keshi to forestall the pitfalls that stopped Nigeria in 2015 from defending the AFCON title won in 2013?
Well starting on a good note; defeating Chad and ensuring that teams are not underrated. They must respect their opponents and be more committed. Don’t forget, I told you I’m looking forward to getting back in the team (laughter).
Well Keshi has the experience to lead the team , but of course not to be In 2015 AFCON was disappointing to every Nigerian, but we should know things do happen some times in football. I believe we’ll bounce back again.
Finally would you say the 2010 World cup was your worst moment as Super Eagles star?
Well I wish people will also remember how I helped Nigeria to reach the 2008 Olympics final
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/kaita-i-have-unfinished-business-in-the-super-eagles/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 8:57am On May 25, 2015
Continue...................
Finally would you say the 2010 World cup was your worst moment as Super Eagles star?
Well I wish people will also remember how I helped Nigeria to reach the 2008 Olympics final and other tournaments that I have played in. Anyway, it was bad mistake but I moved on from that incident.
Its a pleasure speaking with you, Sani.
Source:
www.completesportsnigeria.com/kaita-i-have-unfinished-business-in-the-super-eagles/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:53am On May 26, 2015
As the home based players arrived camp of the Super Eagles in Abuja, coach of the team, Stephen Keshi, has revealed that he is impressed with attitude of the invited players towards the call-up, as the hunger they are showing is what is needed to help rebuild a new Super Eagles.

He further revealed that the first training session this morning is likely to be a light work out, as he is not sure of the level of fitness they players have brought into camp.

” It feels good to see the boys around, it makes you feel special the way they’ve conducted themselves. The response to the call up reminds me of our time from back in the day when a national team call up was seen as a big privilege and honor to. Their enthusiasm is impressive.”

” The boys have been playing, travelling for mid week and weekend games, so we’ll just watch how things go from our first training because we understand some of them will come with heavy legs. But we’ll have to decide whether to intensify the pace of our practice or probably just drop it a little bit.”

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:25am On May 26, 2015
Eagles Won’t Fail AFCON Test – Akpeyi.
Super Eagles goalkeeper, Daniel Akpeyi, has described as rare privilege, the invitation to play for the Super Eagles.
The Warri Wolves shot stopper is among the 26 players from the domestic scene invited by Stephen Keshi to commence preparations for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against the Chadian national team on June 13.
Akpeyi said his colleagues will work hard to justify the confidence the Super Eagles gaffer reposed in them by defeating the Chadians.
“I always consider it a privilege to wear the green and white jerseys of the Super Eagles as well as being called to camp.
“I’m confident we’ll have a good camp as well as quality training that will put us on good stand to confront the Chadians.
“I’m certain we won’t let down the coach or abuse the implicit confidence he reposed in us,” the former Heartland goaltender told supersport.com
Source: thenationonlineng.net/new/eagles-wont-fail-afcon-test-akpeyi/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:30am On May 26, 2015
Samuel Promises Goals Against Chad.
— Eagles Call-Up Excites China- Based Striker
By David Meshioye:
Guangzhou RF striker, Aaron Samuel, has expressed his delight and relief over his invitation for the June 6 AFCON qualifier against Chad in Kaduna.
In an exclusive chat with comple tesportsnigeria.com from his base in China, the former Sarpsborg 08 striker hinted that he would be available for the much anticipated encounter come hell or high water, as Nigeria attempt to return to the pinnacle of African football.
He posited that paramount before him would be how to condition himself for the match to ensure the Super Eagles begin the qualifiers on a sound footing, thereby avoiding some of the pitfalls that characterized the country’s non-qualification for the last AFCON in Equatorial Guinea.
Samuel however stated that he is not expecting an easy ride for Nigeria in the qualifiers, despite being pitted against Egypt, Tanzania and Chad.
“I am excited by the invitation to say the least," he told comple tesportsnigeria.com on Mondya. "It means a lot is expected from me and my teammates when we return for the qualifier. I really have to work hard and pay back with goals.
"I think there is no small opponent in Africa anymore, our last experience in the qualifiers has taught me that. I don’t expect an easy game against Chad but we will give our best to pick the three points.”
Samuel made his Super Eagles debut in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Sudan which Nigeria lost 1–0 in Khartoum.
The former Valerenga striker opened his goals account in a 3–1 home victory against Sudan. He restored Nigeria’s lead in the 66th minute when he stabbed home a loose ball after a mix-up between Sudan goalkeeper Akram El Hadi and his defender. He later scored his second goal for Nigeria in a 2-0 away victory over Congo
Barring any last minutes hitches, Aaron Samuel is expected to hit Super Eagles camp next week.
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/samuel-promises-goals-against-chad/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:34am On May 26, 2015
Hapoel Beer Sheva Wants £1.5m For Ogu.
Isreali side, Hapoel Beer Sheva, have placed £1.5m price tag on the Nigerian midfielder John Ogu to ward off interest from Maccabi Haifa who have made inquiries about his availability.
But the Nigerian international told Comple tesportsnigeria.com that he is prepared to stay at the club because the people at the club loves and appreciates him.
Ogu who has been one of Hapoel Beer Sheva’s outstanding players this season, will ask for an 100% increase on current salary to remain at the club.
The 27 year old midfielder who signed a one year deal with an option of three year last summer could not save his side from losing 3-1 to second placed Ironi Kiryat Shmona on Sunday, but believes their Europa League finish was the only soothing relief of the out-going season following their Cup loss to treble winners Maccabi Tel Aviv.
“It still hurt but it was a big lesson to come back much stronger next season, but I want to stay here because I’m loved here and they appreciate me well. Discussions are on-going and believe we will reach a good conclusion,” Ogu told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
On his invitation for next month’s 2017 AFCON qualifiers against Chad and Tanzania, the box-to box midfielder added that he was delighted and will fight to remain a regular in the squad.
“I’m happy and I will be in camp early enough to give my best,” he concluded.
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/hapoel-beer-sheva-wants-1-5m-for-ogu/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:08am On May 26, 2015
Rabiu Ibrahim: Eagles Call Up A Dream Come True.
AS Trencin playmaker, Rabiu Ibrahim, has reacted to his call up to the Nigeria senior national team, calling it a dream come true.
The Korea 2007 U17 World Cup winner has put his club woes behind him and was very pivotal in helping his Slovakian team win the league and the cup for the first time in their history.
He has long been tipped to be the heir to former Super Eagles captain, and legend, Austin Jay-Jay Okocha. His supply of goals, tricks, dribbles and goal assists have been a treat for Trencin fans and have seen him finally live up to his hype.
This season the 24-year-old has scored five times from 21 games in all competitions from his playmaking role.
"It's a dream come true for me have being on the edge of the team for long, but my club career wasn't good enough and I’m happy to be rewarded with a call up due to my performances for my team," he said.
"I’m not coming to the camp to make up the numbers, I’m coming to show Nigerians the reason why the coaches called me up and hopefully, if I get selected, I will put up a show that will help us beat the Chadians comprehensively."
Source:
www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/super-eagles/as-trencin-playmaker-rabiu-ibrahim-reacts-to-super-eagles-call-up/210517

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:18am On May 26, 2015
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi: 'No issues with John Mikel Obi'
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has rejected talk of a rift with Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi.
Keshi has left the 28-year-old out of his squad for next month's 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Chad.
"It's true that I couldn't reach him when he was injured but that's not the reason for his omission," Keshi told BBC Sport.
"We've spoken and contrary to reports [in the local media] there is no problem between us at all."
Nigeria's overseas-based players to face Chad:
Goalkeeper:Vincent Enyeama (Lille, France)
Defenders:Godfrey Oboabona (Rizespor, Turkey); Kenneth Omeruo (Middlesbrough, England); Leon Balogun (Darmstadt 98, Germany); William Troost-Ekong (FC Dordrecht, The Netherlands); Kingsley Madu (AS Trencin, Slovakia)
Midfielders:Ogenyi Onazi (Lazio, Italy); John Ogu (Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Israel); Babatunde Michael (Volyn Lutsk, Ukraine); Rabiu Ibrahim (AS Trencin, Slovakia); Anderson Esiti (Estoril FC, Portugal); Steven Ukoh (Biel-Bienne FC, Switzerland).
Forwards:Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Aaron Samuel (Guangzhou R&F, China); Odion Ighalo (Watford FC, England)
Mikel has not played for Nigeria since November but Keshi insists the door remains open for the midfielder.
"He's an integral member of this team who brings a lot to it. Right now we are only giving opportunities to some new players," he added.
Another notable foreign-based absentee is defender Elderson Echiejile, who plays for Monaco in France's Ligue 1.
But there is a surprise recall for Slovakia-based Rabiu Ibrahim, who has yet to make his senior debut, while Watford's Odion Ighalo is expected to make his competitive debut against Chad in Kaduna on 13 June.
There were first-time call-ups for William Troost-Ekong, Kingsley Madu and Anderson Esiti.
The 15 foreign-based stars will join other locally based players at their Abuja camp next week.
Keshi, who won the Nations Cup as a player with Nigeria in 1994 and coach in 2013, is confident he can revive the Super Eagles after their failure to qualify for the recent finals in Equatorial Guinea.
"We have a big task ahead to rebuild this team and I am confident we are going to bounce back," said Keshi.
"The door is not shut on anyone; those invited must show they deserve it by giving their best."
Source:
m.bbc.com/sport/football/32874276

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:40am On May 26, 2015
Nigeria: Battle for Shirt in Eagles' Camp
Chibuzor Okonkwo battles Lionel Messi at Beijing 2008 Olympics Games. Okonkwo is back to fight for shirt in the Super Eagles aheads Rio 2016.
The Super Eagles yesterday morning in Abuja began preparations for the 2017 AFCON qualifiers against Chad. A good number of the invited home based players arrived at the Bolton White Hotels and Apartments in Abuja on Thursday, ready to begin the healthy battle for shirts in the Super Eagles.
Coach Stephen Keshi urged the players to show hunger, commitment and discipline, while justifying their invitation to the national team.
Players in camp included Chibuzor Okonkwo, Rabiu Ali, Nelson Ogbonnaya, Mfon Udoh, Ezekiel Mbah, Gabriel Okechukwu, Azeez Shobowale, Moses Ebong, Chima Akas, Nathaniel Joseph, Chinedu Udoji, Chidiebere Eze, Olabisi Samuel, Esosa Igbinoba, Joe Omale, Onyedikachi Bright and Idris Aloma.
Others are Ibrahim Shuaibu, Kunle Odunlami, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Tunde Adeniji.
Source: allafrica.com/stories/201505252033.html?viewall=1

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:47am On May 26, 2015
Nigeria: I'll Win Nations Cup Again - Keshi
Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi says he's looking to re-enact the feat that saw him qualify for, and win, the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.
The 53-year old, on Sunday, released a list of 15 overseas-based players invited for next month's 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Chad, added to the 26 home-based players who are already in camp for the game.
He says he achieved success with home-based players and some relatively unknown overseas-based players in 2013, and he's hoping to recreate that.
"We qualified for, and won, the Nations Cup in 2013 with a lot of home-based players in the team and we also had some new faces then from abroad," he said.
"We've always wanted to work with the home-based players because they did a lot for us that time and we want to continue that," he said.
The 'Big Boss' has also called up Kingsley Madu, Rabiu Ibrahim, William Troost-Ekong, and Anderson Esiti for the first time, and he says they deserve the call-up.
"They are Nigerians and they have been doing well for their clubs and we must give them the opportunity. If they're not good they won't be here," he added.
Source: allafrica.com/stories/201505260200.html?viewall=1

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:51am On May 26, 2015
Making sense of Keshi's latest Nigeria squad including his Mikel omission
If the first squad of the Big Boss's Second Coming is anything to go by, not much has changed since the failures of 2014.
Stephen Keshi’s stint with the Super Eagles has frequently lurched from absurd to inspired, and back again. It therefore is no surprise to see the composition of the maiden squad of his second coming – the foreign-based contingent that is.
This list of 15 was revealed on Sunday evening, and will join up with their NigeriaProfessional Football League counterparts in camping for the Afcon 2017 Qualifier against Chad.
There is a lot to be gleaned from this list, especially considering (seemingly) arbitrary personnel decisions were the bane of his first stint in charge. For every Michael Babatunde and Sunday Mba, there was a Michael Uchebo, a Nosa Igiebor, a Ramon Azeez; this lent an air of potluck to Keshi’s successes – if you have enough knives in your hand, you are bound to cut something.
On the evidence of this list though, very little has changed.
The most high-profile omission is of Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel, only this last weekend won another Premier League title.
There really is not much to carp about on that front: Mikel has struggled for both form and fitness this year, and is hardly the sort of consistent performer on the international stage for whom an exception can be made.
The question then is: if this is the criterion on which Mikel has been left out, how is a player like Ogenyi Onazi included?
The Lazio man has made 18 appearances (nine as starts) for Lazio this term, but has served the Rome club better by staying out of the way mostly. He has also lost his place as the go-to option in the event of injury or suspension, usurped by 20-year-old prospect Danilo Cataldi. His form with the national side has also suffered – Onazi has looked half the player since Blaise Matuidi ended his World Cup in Brazil.
Onazi |Does he merit his return to the national side?
For that matter, how to justify the central defensive pairing of Godfrey Oboabona and Kenneth Omeruo? Since the Big Boss
stumbled upon the pairing in the second game of the 2013 Afcon, these two have been virtually undroppable.
While the virtue of familiarity in defence is clear, neither of these two have played a good game for the national team in ages. Both are also bench players in such 'elite' clubs as Caykur Rizespor and Middlesbrough.
Some have argued the pickings are slim in Europe for Nigerian centre-backs; I say why pick for the sake of it then? This list is intended to augment the home-based call-ups, which includes the NPFL’s best defenders. In terms of form and fitness, they are clearly ahead, so play them.
This lack of coherence is also evident in the omissions as well. Aaron Samuel has quickly endeared himself to the public for his knack of the impact goal while not playing especially well. If his limitations could be overlooked on the grounds of lack of alternatives then, what about now with Emem Eduok and Osaguona Ighodaro in sparkling form in North Africa?
The former in particular is a superb footballer, and would be an upgrade on the China-based blunt instrument. Ighodaro struck five times in six games in the CAF Champions League until his Raja Casablanca side were eliminated from the competition.
Most surprising is the call-up of Rabiu Ibrahim. The former U-17 world champion, whose style and ability evoked comparisons with wizard midfielder Jay-Jay Okocha, has struggled to fulfil his immense promise due to a spate of unfortunate injuries. After failed stints at former European champions Celtic and PSV Eindhoven, it is at Slovakian club Trencin that he has found a home.
After a relatively injury-free season, his first in a long while, he has been rewarded with an invitation to the Super Eagles. Whichever way you look at it, it feels wrong. Rabiu has hardly stood out - four goals and one assist in 17 appearances, and only thrice has he completed 90 minutes - instead it seems he is in the squad on the basis of that spark back in 2007 under the tutelage of the late Yemi Tella.If his reputation precedes him, it is perhaps because it is easy for great players to make themselves the template, even for future generations. Okocha was a stellar footballer, but getting caught up trying to replace him ignores the fact that the national team predated him, and as such is perfectly capable of functioning without him or a plaster-cast clone.
The issue of creativity from midfield is one that has raged on for years, and which Keshi was unable to address in his first stint. If his genius solution this time around is to try to resurrect an eight-year ghost in a player only just piecing his career together after much heartache, then the next two years of his contract will be exceeding long indeed.
Source: m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12094402

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:13pm On May 26, 2015
Icon4s:

What do u guys think football is? Academy players to form bulk of the Super Eagles?
Those so called players that failed us last year are mostly players that won the AFCON in 2013 and qualified us for 2014 WC and even getting beyond d 2nd round yet u say they have contributed nothing.
See those are the best and most experienced crop of players we have now and Keshi will have no other option rather than to fall back on them.

U think Senior team football is cadet football?

My brother which rock have you been under? wasn't it the top Nigerian clubs that these boys used for practice beating them like pikin who no hear word. if they played your so called senior team the score would be no less than 5-0. These kids are the future infact they are the now so get used to it.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:50pm On May 26, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

My brother which rock have you been under? wasn't it the top Nigerian clubs that these boys used for practice beating them like pikin who no hear word. if they played your so called senior team the score would be no less than 5-0. These kids are the future infact they are the now so get used to it.

Am so suprised that some people have failed to realize that majority of our national team players are match rusty. Look at what South African national team basically made up of their U-20 did to our S.E. They just made the S.E look ordinary. If Stephen Keshi can not get atleast 2 or 3 players from this present Super Flying Eagles (excluding Moses Simon & Kingley Sokari), he should just forget about the job. Ka chii la. Why allow people who can not run to dominate our national team?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (161) (Reply)

Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.