Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (247643 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:48pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ebola: Nigeria To Host Sierra Leone, CIV Clash
[/size]

Nigeria will host the 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier between defending champions Cote d’Ivoire and Sierra Leone.
This was made known by the Nigeria Football Federation on Wednesday.
The game which comes up on Sunday, September 6, will either hold at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos or the Adokiye Amiesieamaka Stadium, Port Harcourt.
Sierra Leone and Guinea have been barred from hosting matches since the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus last year there.
But the NFF claim they have been cleared by health authorities to host the match in Nigeria.
“We are delighted to announce that we have received the go-ahead from the Federal Ministry of Health to host the match,” NFF President Amaju Pinnick said. “The Sierra Leoneans will come with a delegation of 32, made up of mostly overseas-based professionals, technical crew and officials of the SLFA, to be led by its president, Isha Johansen.
“We are happy about the go-ahead because, once more, our country has an opportunity to underscore its leadership role on the African continent, nay global sphere. The NFF has initiated discussions with the Lagos State Government and the Rivers State Government on preventive measures, such as keeping Sierra Leone’s small delegation in a special hotel where they can be monitored at all times.”
Pinnick stated further that the thought of hosting top Cote d’Ivoire stars most especially African Player of the Year, Yaya Toure, makes it worth the effort.
“We are talking of hosting the African champion team, with the likes of African Player of the Year, Yaya Toure and others, and this will certainly earn us commendation from CAF and FIFA.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13433
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:55pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
FIFA will commend Nigeria for staging Sierra Leone matches - NFF
[/size]

NFF president Pinnick
President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, has said he expects the country to get a pat on the back from FIFA and CAF for agreeing for Ebola-affected Sierra Leone to stage their AFCON qualifiers in the country.
Nigeria have agreed to stage an AFCON qualifying match between the reigning African champions Cote d’Ivoire and Sierra Leone.
The game will be played at either the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos or the Adokiye Amiesiamaka Stadium in Port Harcourt on Sunday, September 6.
“Once more, our country has an opportunity to underscore its leadership role on the African continent, nay global sphere (by allowing Sierra Leone to play in Nigeria), “ Pinnick said.
“We are talking of hosting the African champion team, with the likes of African Player of the Year Yaya Toure and others, and this will certainly earn us commendation from CAF and FIFA.”
Sierra Leone will be in Nigeria with a delegation of 32, made up of mostly overseas –based professionals, coaches and officials of the SLFA, to be led by president Isha Johansen.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/561028/FIFA-will-commend-Nigeria-for-staging-Sierra-Leone-matches-NFF
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
International Friendlies Niger
Nigeria finalise arrangements for Tanzania trip
[/size]

Eagles beat Chad 2-0 in their opening AFCON qualifier in June
Nigeria plan to charter a plane for next month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania and will fly out to Dar es Salaam from Abuja on the eve of match day and depart immediately after the game, officials have disclosed.
The 2017 AFCON qualifier has been fixed for Saturday, September 5.
The Super Eagles will thus fly out on Friday, September 4, and head to Port Harcourt after the match on Saturday.
The team are scheduled to take on next-door neigbours Niger in Port Harcourt in a friendly on September 8.
Nigeria are drawn in the same qualifying group with Egypt and Chad.

africanfootball.com/news/560991/Nigeria-finalise-arrangements-for-Tanzania-trip
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Izunna Uzochukwu in the thick of the action against Ahmed Musa (far left) and CSKA in the Russian league
[/size]

Russia-based midfielder Izunna Uzochukwu has told AfricanFootball.co m his first-ever Super Eagles call-up will not be his last because he will justify his invitation by coach Sunday Oliseh.
The tigerish-tackling FC Amkar Perm midfielder, whose brother Ugonna features for South African club Chippa United, exclusively told AfricanFootball.co m in this interview he has long waited for his chance with the Eagles. He also talked about his career and what he will bring to the new Eagles.
Meet Eagles 3 new boys
The Interview:
AFRICANFOOTBALL. COM: Congratulations on your invitation to the Super Eagles.
IZUNNA UZOCHUKWU:Thanks
How did you feel when you received the invitation?
I was so happy and excited when I got it because I have waited so long for the invitation and such an opportunity.
Did you actually expect the invitation to come at this time?
Not really, but was expecting it to happen. It was a surprise to me the invitation came now, but it's here now, all thanks to God.
How was it like playing in Denmark for Midtjylland?
It was really good playing in Denmark because it's the spring board that took me to be where I am today as a footballer.
Did Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh call you to inform you of his intention to invite you to his team?
Yes, he called me after my first two games here in Russia and he made me understand that he has been following my games since I was in Midtjylland.
Surprisingly, he didn't even mention anything to me about inviting me for the Tanzania game.
What exactly did he tell you?
Words of encouragement, how I could become a better player and he corrected my mistakes as well.
The midfield has been one of the major problems in the Eagles, what do you hope to bring then to this department?
There are a lot of good midfield players in the Eagles already, all I can do is to bring in my style and hopefully it will be the solution to the problem and add to the quality in the team.
You now play in the Russian league, how does it compare to what is obtained in Denmark?
There are big differences in both leagues. The calibre of players and the style of play are different. There are a lot of big-names players in the Russia league more than in Denmark. Also, the tempo is very high in Russia.
What was your best moment at Midtjylland?
I have a lot of good memories when I played in Denmark, but the best of them was when I won the Danish league with Midtjylland last season. It was the club's first time of winning the league. I was really happy to be part of the players who made this history.
Many players have been called up to Eagles in the past but that was the last for them, so could we say Izunna is in Eagles to stay?
My desire is to stay and be consistent with the Eagles. I am going to give my best to justify my invitation and stay on in the team because I love my country whole heartedly.
Who are your role models?
Claude Makalele is a player I loved to watch a lot when he was still playing. He is my role model. I admired Sunday Oliseh and Michael Essien as well.
Who has most influenced your career?
My family is my backbone.
What do you hope to achieve with your Russian club Amkar Perm?
My dream with Amkar Perm is to achieve something great and then move on to a better league.
Thank you for your time.
It’s my pleasure.
Interview by Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/560975/Uzochukwu-I-will-prove-I-deserve-Eagles-call-up
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onigbinde Backs Oliseh On Ighalo, Mikel Exclusion
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Former Super Eagles coach, Adegboye Onigbinde, has backed Sunday Oliseh following the 18-man foreign-based list he released on Monday.
Speaking with comple tesportsnigeria.com, Onigbinde posited that the coach should be in the best position to know the players who would fit his style of play.
Oliseh controversially excluded the likes of in-form Watford striker Odion Ighalo and Mikel Obi, a senior member of the squad.
But Onigbinde insists Oliseh made the decision s that suited the coach’s plans.
“The only person who can decide on who comes into a team is the person who knows what system he wants the team to play. And on this occasion it is Sunday Oliseh who knows,” Onigbinde told comple tesportsnigeria.com on Wednesday.
“He knows what strategy and style he wants to adopt, so it is left to him to know the players who would be suitable to execute the programme.
“When you are selecting players into a team, there are two options, a fixed pattern, you now look for players who can operate that pattern. The second option is, you have a set of players, from their qualities and performances, you now deliberate on what system they can operate.
“He is being paid for the job, so let him earn his salary by doing what he feels is the best for the team by inviting the players capable of delivering for the team.”
Among notable players not listed in the 18-man list include John Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Brown Ideye and Odion Ighalo.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13431
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
QPR-Bound Ikeme: I Doubted Eagles Call-Up
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Carl Ikeme has admitted that he thought someone was joking with him when he was informed of his first international call-up for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.
The 29-year-old will join up with the Super Eagles squad for their Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tanzania next weekend in Abuja.
Meanwhile, Ikeme is reportedly attracting interest from Queens Park Rangers, who were relegated to the Championship from the Premier League last season.
Ikeme who pledged his allegiance to Nigeria years back will now challenge Super Eagles skipper Vincent Enyeama for a place in the side.
“When the message and the phone call came I thought someone was winding me up to start with,” he told the BCC.
“I spoke to the coach and it started to make more sense and I realised it was none of my cousins winding me up or anything like that.”
Ikeme was surprisingly dropped for Wolves’ home game against Hull City on Sunday in favour of Emiliano Martinez after his error in the defeat against Blackburn.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13432
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:25pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
Nigeria Premier League 2015 Heartland FC
Eagles drop injured Heartland pair Obiazo, Ogbonnaya
[/size]

Heartland striker Bright Ejike in Eagles camp
The Super Eagles have dropped injured goalkeeper David Obiazo and Reuben Ogbonnaya both from Heartland.
The players were examined by the Eagles medical staff and it was agreed they be allowed to rejoin their clubs.
Replacements for the players are to be announced soon, officials disclosed
In the meantime, several players from the domestic league have stayed back at their clubs and have not joined the Eagles camp in Abuja because they are involved in league games.

africanfootball.com/news/560906/Eagles-drop-injured-Heartland-pair-Obiazo-Ogbonnaya
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:27pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
Champions League: Ahmed Musa backs CSKA to qualify
[/size]

Ahmed Musa - Confident CSKA will qualify for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League at the expense of Sporting Lisbon
Ahmed Musa has told AfricanFootball.com CSKA Moscow will get the result to qualify for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League when they host Sporting Lisbon next week.
The Russia army team lost the first leg of the playoff 2-1 to Sporting Lisbon in Portugal on Tuesday night.
A 1-0 win in Moscow will send CSKA through to the mini league stage of the Champions League.
"It was a tough and good game. The result was not what we played for, but I am sure qualification is within our reach. We will go all out and get the result to progress in the second leg," Nigeria international Ahmed Musa told AfricanFootball.com
Ahmed Musa, who played for the entire duration of the game, beat two players on the left flank and freed Tosic at goal, but the striker was brought down for a penalty, which Ivorian striker Seydou Doumbia failed to convert in the 36th minute.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/560883/Champions-League-Ahmed-Musa-backs-CSKA-to-qualify
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:33pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
Sunday Mba fails to lift new Turkish club
[/size]

Sunday Mba lost on his Turkish league debut at home
Sunday Mba, playing alongside fellow Nigeria star Azubuike Okechukwu, failed to lift his new Turkish second division team Yeni Matalyaspor in their opening league game at home as they lost 1-0 to 1461 Trabzon.
Both players started the game, with Nigeria U23 skipper Azubuike substituted in the 74th minutes after he picked up a yellow card in the 68th minute.
Mba played the first half and was replaced in the 46th minute by Irfan Basaran.
Another Nigerian, George Akpabio, is also with Yeni Matalyaspor.

africanfootball.com/news/560811/Sunday-Mba-fails-to-lift-new-Turkish-club
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:35pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Obafemi Martins says he was pained watching Sounders losing
[/size]

Obafemi Martins - Seattle Sounders star striker
Seattle Sounders star striker Obafemi Martins has revealed he was pained watching his team losing while he was sidelined by injury but he is happy to be back in action now.
Martins missed 10 games in all competitions for Seattle Sounders and was out for two months on account of the injury.
Sounders struggled to score goals and win games in Martins’ absence.
"I don't really watch the games from the sidelines, I watch the games at home and it was difficult watching the team losing games. It was bad see us losing,” he said.
The former Birmingham City striker said he now hopes to improve and his fitness as he looks forward to do more for his team.
"I am happy to be back, I am happy that we won (vs Orlando City). I am a lot better now and I am looking forward to improve, to do what I can do to help the team do well."
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/560740/Obafemi-Martins-says-he-was-pained-watching-Sounders-losing
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 20, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

It was actually a shock to me also because the guy was raining goals this pre-season plus he can also play behind the striker which he did for his club last year, but at the same time Oliseh is on a rescue mission with Eminike sort of like Colombia is with Falcoa and either Ujah or Ighalo had to go. I personally cannot give any logical reason for dropping our best player in our last game -1 goal 1 assist-but alltogether i don't care who plays i just want to see good football being played and if im not asking too much can we go into half time with a lead just once.
Though Ighalo is doing fine presently, but we should remember he started the Season from the bench. If he has earned his place in the first eleven, he would have been a Starter. Besides Ujah is also a big hit at present, and he's playing for a well recognized Team in Europe! I wasn't expecting Emenike to be on the list, but he is on the list! Let's hope the exclusion of Ighalo wouldn't be a torn in the flesh of Oliseh. If any of the Strikers he invited failed to deliver, I fear the kind of bashing he's gonna received from the Analysts, Critics and the Fans!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:58pm On Aug 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Tanzania will be tough- Oliseh
[/size]
Super Eagles chief coach, Sunday Oliseh has insisted that he is not expecting the Taifa Stars of Tanzania to go down easily when they face Nigeria Super in on September 5 in an AFCON 2017 qualifier.
According to the former International “Tanzania is a good team, and they are defending the name of their country, just like we are also defending that of our country. Most of the players we have called to camp, are those who are hungry and ready to make names for themselves. I am very confident they would deliver when the chips are down” he concluded.
In another development, Oliseh has issued a new programme for journalists willing to cover the team’s training starting from today.
According to a message circulated by the Media Officer of the team, Toyin Ibitoye, henceforth, sports writers would only be allowed into the training venue for only the first 15 minutes of the training session, after which they would excuse the team to conitune their tactical training. This is to avoid any sort of distraction in trainings “this is to inform you that henceforth, only the first 15 minutes of the Super Eagles would be opened to journalists to cover. Thereafter, they would leave the training venue. However, these would always be a media interaction every Thursdays” Ibitoye said.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/tanzania-will-be-tough-oliseh/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:59pm On Aug 24, 2015
[size=14pt]
I want to be top scorer – Ahmed Musa
[/size]
Ahmed Musa has told AfricanFootball.comit would be great for him to end the season in Russia as top scorer of the league.
The Nigeria star is now the joint leading scorer in Russia with three goals after six games, same as Zenit pair of Daniel Alves Gomes and Hulk.
The 22-year-old forward is now in his fifth season in Russia ansre. If I end the season as top scorer, it will be great, but my main target is to score as many goals as possible to help my team win trophies,” he told AfricanFootball.com
“We are in the Champions League and competing in the various domestic competitions, I am eager to help us achieve big things this season.”
His Russian club CSKA Moscow are top of the standings with a perfect record after six rounds of matches.

thenationonlineng.net/i-want-to-be-top-scorer-ahmed-musa/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:02pm On Aug 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
MOTHER TO OLISEH: Eagles job na fire, my son
•If to say he easy, na everybody for dey do am
•Gives son consent to take Nigeria job
[/size]
Nigeria’s senior team chief coach Sunday Oliseh shocked his audience last week Monday at the Onikan Stadium’s conference centre when he revealed what his mother told him before accepting to take the Super Eagles job.
Disclosing this to newsmen at a jaw-jaw session, Oliseh said: “Let me share this with you. When I was to take the job, I told my dad and my mother. I will share what my mum told me with you.
“I called my father and mother that they are offering me this job, but my mother told me ‘Na fire my son’. But she told me something that I really loved, she said “If to say he easy, na everybody for dey do am” But if I want to succeed, I should work hard to do it well that was what she said.
” I don’t have the base to work on but I try to look at it that in the past one year, we have played 62 players and that is practically six teams. I don’t mean those who played regularly but those who were invited to camp. In the national
teams we have over 11 to 12 games and for now I don’t have a base of six regular players that I can build the team around.
To tell me now to start performing miracles by winning matches otherwise you resign if you don’t win this. I don’t think Guardiola or Morinho will do that? My job is cut out for me and it is a lot of work. I look at it as a difficult task but I cannot succeed if we are antagonising ourselves.”
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/mother-to-oliseh-eagles-job-na-fire-my-son/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:03pm On Aug 24, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Give me a chance, Obafemi Martins begs Oliseh
•Says he wants to score goals for new boss
•Denies international retirement
[/size]
Nigeria international, Obafemi Martins has asked new Super Eagles Coach, Sunday Oliseh to give him a chance to prove himself just as he has backed the coach to succeed with the national team.
The Seattle Sounders striker, only returned to action for the Major League Soccer (MLS) side last weekend after two months out, netting brace as they crushed Orlando 4-0.
One of the goals was voted AT&T Goal of the Week – the third time that the former Newcastle and Inter Milan man has taken home the gong.
The former VfL Wolfsburg star player believes his present form will be vital for the senior national team as he is already dreaming of scoring goals for the Oliseh’s new-look team.
“I hope I will soon get another chance to score goals for Nigeria again and I also believe that with time and a little more patience the Eagles will come back to winning ways under new coach Sunday Oliseh. He has gotten all the experience we need in a coach, he has played the game before and I am really happy to see him in eagles again.”
On the 4th of December 2014, local media in Africa and Italian sports paper misquoted Martins saying he had retired from international football.
However Obagoal as fondly called has denied ever making such announcement.
The former Levante striker last played for the Super Eagles in 2013 and since then he has not been considered by the former Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi.
Martins who has 39 caps with 18 goals since he debuted for Nigeria stated that he is still open for call up from the new national team handler.
“I never announced my retirement, in any form or anyway, it was not official at all, I was unhappy to be treated as if am not a Nigerian footballer, I have represented Nigeria, at the Nations Cup, World Cup, and I still want to play more, it’s a new eagles now, led by Oliseh, so why will I retire now, I am still young.”
Obagoal made a scoring debut for Nigeria on May 29, 2004 against the Republic of Ireland.
On November 17, 2007, the attacker captained his country for the first time in a friendly against Australia that marked his 19th appearance.
His 83rd minute strike on November 12, 2009 against Kenya in Nairobi ensured the Super Eagles qualified for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/give-me-a-chance-obafemi-martins-begs-oliseh/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:04pm On Aug 24, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ambrose backs Oshaniwa club’s title quest
[/size]
Celtic defender Efe Ambrose has said Scottish Premier League newcomers Hearts, who parade compatriot Juwon Oshaniwa, will compete with Celtic in this season title race.
Hearts is leading the table after remaining unbeaten in five games this season, africanFootball.com reports.
“I think Hearts will challenge for the league title. The club deserves its current position, but Celtic will always fight and will be ready to fight for the title till the end of the season,” Ambrose told africanFootball.com
The Super Eagles defender added that he was not surprised Oshaniwa has fitted in so well at Hearts.
“I am happy for him (Juwon) and I thank God for making him sign for Hearts. He is a friend and a brother. I am not surprised that he has fitted in well because he has all the qualities to be one of the best here,” Ambrose remarked.

thenationonlineng.net/ambrose-backs-oshaniwa-clubs-title-quest/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:45am On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Oshaniwa dedicates jersey number to Sharks FC
[/size]
After another 90 minutes performance in the Scottish Premier League over the weekend where his side beat visiting Patrick Thistle 3-0, Nigeria international and Heart of Midlothian of Scotland defender, Juwon Oshaniwa said he has settled down to life well after joining during the summer from Israel’s Ashdod.
Speaking to www.footballlive.ng, Oshaniwa also disclosed that he chose the jersey number 17 because it was the last number he wore in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) playing for Port Harcourt based side, Sharks FC.
” I thank God because he’s been my strength all the way to acclimatise and I can only be professional about it. Concerning the jersey number it was the last number I wore at my last club in Nigeria and that was what I demanded when I got here.”

thenationonlineng.net/oshaniwa-dedicates-jersey-number-to-sharks-fc/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:52am On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Owello debuts for new Norwegian club
[/size]
Ex- Flying Eagles midfielder, Solomon Owello, has made his debut for his new Norwegian club Sandnes Ulf.
The attacking midfielder last week ended his seven – year association with Premier League side IK Start by penning a short – term deal with Sandnes Ulf that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2015 season, a llnigeriasoccer.com reports.
And on Monday, Owello played the entire 90 minutes as Sandnes Ulf lost ground on league leaders Sogndal after losing 0-2 to promotion – chasing Hodd.
For the next three months, the playmaker will represent “The Wolves” in the league wearing the number 18 shirt.
The 26 – year – old played 19 games for IK Start in the Tippeligaen this season before his departure from Kristiansand.

thenationonlineng.net/owello-debuts-for-new-norwegian-club/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:54am On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Early kick off for Nigeria, Tanzania AFCON clash
[/size]
Nigeria’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tanzania will be an early kick off on September 5, Goal reports.
The game will commence at 2:30pm (West African Time/local time in Nigeria), the Nigeria Football Federation has said.
The Super Eagles visits the Taifa Stars for the group’s second game at the National Stadium, Dar es Salaam in an encounter to be played on natural turf at 4:30pm local time in the East African country.
The NFF said it received notice about the schedule from the Tanzanian Football Federation’s president, Jamal Malinzi.
The Super Eagles will fly out from Abuja on a chartered aircraft to Tanzania next week.

thenationonlineng.net/early-kick-off-for-nigeria-tanzania-afcon-clash/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:02am On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Aggrey declares readiness to claim Eagles spot
[/size]
Prince Aggrey knocked on Sunday Oliseh’s door for a place on board the flight to Dar es Salaam with two goals in Sunshine Stars 5-0 win over El-Kanemi on Sunday.
The striker understands only five places are available to the NPFL based players as ruled by the team selectors and the goal poacher; who once stripped for bagging a controversial clincher, said he’s not in Abuja to make up the numbers.
Aggrey told www.footballlive.ng that his current form with his club side will be very vital to his aspirations in the camp of the national team, as training resumes ahead of the arrival of the foreign based.

thenationonlineng.net/aggrey-declares-readiness-to-claim-eagles-spot/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:16am On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi eyes Bayer Leverkusen’s scalp
[/size]
OGENYI Onazi hopes to see Lazio through to the group stages of the Champions League in today’s game at the Bay Arena.
For him, an opportunity to hit another milestone in his young career beckons on tonight when Lazio take on Bayer Leverkusen in the second leg play-off game to reach the lucrative group stages of the UEFA Champions League.
The Italians go into the game at the Bay Arena with a 1-0 head start from the first leg last week where Keita scored.
If they maintain their lead to win the encounter, it would be Onazi’s first foray into the main Champions League stage where they will come up against Europe’s best sides.
But it won’t be an easy game against the Germans who have taken maximum points in the Bundesliga’s opening two matches thus far.
“Well, we have done our home work and we expect a strong game [against Leverkusen],” Onazi told Goal. “But our hope is on God.
“And we will do our best to win the game because we want to play in the Champions League.”
The 22-year-old played 53 minutes in the first leg victory and hopes to take on a larger role with the Rome-based side in order to play on the bigger stage offered by the competition.
“Now at Lazio I have a lot of responsibility in the team but I’m up to the task,” he said.
“Playing in the Champions League is another experience for me in my career, another stage in my football career.”
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/onazi-eyes-bayer-leverkusens-scalp/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:31am On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
In defence of Amaju Pinnick: Nigeria chief in the dock
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/20/4/amaju-pinnick_179sa4tnxn0sv193fhv2053hx1.jpg?t=-14731584&w=620&h=430[/img]
Despite his inexorable efforts towards giving Nigeria Football a facelift, the NFF boss has gotten more knocks than praise in his short tenure.
By Shina Oludare.
Attention seems to have shifted from the all-important Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between the Super Eagles and Tanzania, and the Golden Eaglets’ preparations for the 2015 U17 World Cup in Chile, to squabbles on how and why NigeriaFootball Federation president Amaju Pinnick is going about his business.
The federation chief has never made any secret of his appreciation of English football, but received criticism at the beginning of the campaign when he went to London to watch the Community Shield game between Arsenal and Chelsea, rather than focusing on matters closer to home.
Since then, the criticism has persisted. The president, it seems is generating something of a record for being absent during some key moments. When Nigeria's teams need him most, Pinnick is often nowhere to be seen.
What actually fuelled the complaints following the Charity Shield was the fact that two of the country’s national teams were involved in make-or-break 2016 Olympics qualifiers on the same day. Should Pinnick not have been supporting one of the two national representatives rather than watching the Gunners? The Super Falcons were unfortunate in missing out on a ticket to Rio, and pundits feel that Pinnick’s absence in Bata was key to Christopher Danjuma’s ladies' defeat to Equatorial Guinea.
To some, it was steep tactlessness for the NFF boss to engage in a ‘wakabout’ expedition rather than stay back home to address pressing issues.
However, the naysayers have failed to mention that his recent travels have been in order to meet with investors who are keen on partnering the NFF and the Super Eagles. This fact, it seems, doesn't fit the narrative, and has been duly overlooked.

Pinnick |Does the NFF chief deserve the criticism he has received?
Well, Pinnick might have lost it in terms of ordering his preferences, but permit me to include here that he deserves commendation for his intents and aspirations for the growth of Nigerian football. On assumption of office almost a year ago, he promised to transform the country’s football into a beautiful damsel, and from all indications, he is working the talk.
If you think I’m a mouthpiece of the NFF president, you are definitely out of place because I’m not and don’t care to be one, but my nous tells me that Pinnick is on the right track of taking Nigeria football to the ‘promised land’ with the achievements he has recorded within a very short time.
"It is a task that my predecessor won almost every laurel but we will improve on that. With this team, we are going to reposition football and take it to the next level" - Pinnick
The biggest problem with Nigerian football has been, and still is, financial autonomy, and the NFF under Pinnick is moving the football house towards self-sufficiency. For the first time in the country, a sports person [Sunday Oliseh] rang the closing bell of the Nigeria Stock Exchange – a strategy to reach out to corporate Nigeria and share the new vision of repositioning the country’s football.
The NFF’s decision to take football referees to London for training has already proved fruitful, as our elite arbiters now get regular games on the continent, with two already named to officiate at the 2015 All African Games. Some coaches and retired players also benefited in a football match reading course, and acquired the football software Prozone.
The NFF boss recently reached out to Arsenal wunderkinds Chuba Akpom and Alex Iwobi – and this act drew contrasting opinion, with majority lashing out at him for taking up the responsibility of Super Eagles coaches. Personally, this writer feels the move was a good one as it will help the country reduce the high rate of losing eligible talents to other countries. I am sure you still recall how negligence cost Eagles the services of Emmanuel Olisadebe (Poland), Patrick Owomoyela (Germany), Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo), Gabriel Agbonlahor (England) and David Alaba (Austria), to mention but a few.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4082/editorial/2015/08/25/14436042/in-defence-of-amaju-pinnick-nigeria-chief-in-the-dock
.....continue in the next post
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:39am On Aug 26, 2015
.....continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
In defence of Amaju Pinnick: Nigeria chief in the dock
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/20/4/amaju-pinnick_179sa4tnxn0sv193fhv2053hx1.jpg?t=-14731584&w=620&h=430[/img]

Pinnick |Will the national side reap rewards from the chief's approach?
What about the new Nike deal worth $3.75m (750m Naira)? The contract is worth $750, 000 (150m Naira) in its first year and would rise to $1million (200m Naira) each year from 2016 till 2018. Is that not a giant stride that deserves a very loud ovation? Why is no one making an allusion to that?
Perhaps, again, it doesn't fit the anti-Pinnick narrative?
Slightly from these giant strides, Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, the Beach football team missed out of the World Cup, the Flying Eagles failed to soar at the U20 World Cup and disappointingly, the Falcons ousted from the 2016 Olympics – all under Pinnick. These are minuses that have bedeviled his administration.
Another ugly aspect of the Pinnick-led board is their hiring and firing philosophy. Within the space of five months, Keshi was sacked, reappointed and sacked again, it was the same for the Super Falcons coach, and we hear they are thinking of hiring a European to replace the local coach. We also hear that they are interested in hiring Europeans to coach our junior teams. One is certain to be confused looking at this ‘firing squad’ principle and one can begin to wonder whether the NFF are resolving or solving football problems in Nigeria!
Juxtaposing these phases of Pinnick’s tenure so far – he deserves an applause for his vision and zeal towards the growth of the round leather game in the country - even if we are only beginning to see the tangible benefits of his industry.
In my article on the Agenda for Amaju Pinnick's NFFon resumption in office, I stated emphatically some areas that should be of priority to the board as Nigerians seek a new dawn in the Nigeria football industry.
Should he pay attention to these areas, I see the Amaju Pinnick-led board becoming the best ever NFF administration to run Nigeria football.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4082/editorial/2015/08/25/14436042/in-defence-of-amaju-pinnick-nigeria-chief-in-the-dock
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:43am On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Igiebor reaches UCL group stage, Echiejile goal not enough for Monaco
[/size]

It was mixed fortunes for three Nigerians who were involved in the Champions League play-offs on Tuesday night
Nosa Igiebor’s Macabbi Tel Aviv reached the group stage of the Uefa Champions League for the first time in 11 years after holding Basel to a 1-1 draw and 3-3 aggregate on Tuesday night.
The Israeli club progressed courtesy of their better away goals.
Igiebor played for 70 minutes before being substituted by Peretz but it was clear the hosts would hold on having equalized via captain Eran Zahavi’s fifth goal of the competition after Basel went ahead in the 11th minute through Luca Zuffi’s goal.
It was contrasting fortunes for the other Nigerians involved on the night as Elderson Echiejile fell with Monaco despite scoring as a late substitute in a 2-1 win and Efe Ambrose watched from the bench as Celtic lost 2-0 to Malmo.
Echiejile, unsettled for a while about his future at the Municipality club, came on in the 62nd minute in place of Kurzawa to score his side’s second goal 13 minutes later but it was not enough as they fell 4-3 on aggregate to Valencia.
On Wednesday night, two other Nigerians, Ahmed Musa and Ogenyi Onazi, would hope to reach the group stages of the Champions League with their clubs.
The group stage draw of the Champions League will take place on Thursday.

[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4074/champions-league/2015/08/25/14754902/igiebor-reaches-ucl-group-stage-echiejile-goal-not-enough
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:02pm On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
Home-Based Eagles Impress Oliseh
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, has praised the home-based players who have been sweating it out in the team’s training camp in Abuja, ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tanzania.
Oliseh took to Twitter to express his feelings after just one week of training with the players.
He wrote: “After one week of training, the home-based are showing lots of promise.”
The home-based players will be joined by their foreign-based counterparts to intensify preparation for the qualifier against Tanzania in Dar es Salam in early September.
An 18-man list foreign-based players was released by Oliseh with the likes of Mikel Obi, Victor Moses and Odion Ighalo overlooked.
The Eagles are currently second behind Egypt on goals difference in their qualifying group.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/home-based-eagles-impress-oliseh/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:07pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
UCL: Echiejile Scores As Monaco Crash; Igiebor Through
[/size]
—Ambrose Falls With Celtic
By Johnny Edward:
It was a tale of two ends for Nigerian players that featured in Tuesday night’s UEFA Champions League play-offs as only Nosa Igiebor’s Maccabi Tel Aviv qualified for the group stage of the competition while the duo of Efe Ambrose and Elderson Echiejile crashed out of the competition.
Igiebor’s Maccabi Tel Aviv qualified courtesy of the away goals rule with a 1-1 home result after the first leg at Basel ended 2-2 last week.

At the Louis stadium in France, Elderson Echiejile was subbed on for Lavyin Kurzawa in the 62nd minute as Monaco lost 4-3 on aggregate to Valencia despite defeating the Spanish side 2-1 in the second leg.
Echiejile was booked in the 68th minute before latching on to a Bernard’s cross to score in the 75th minute of the encounter to make it 2-1 for the hosts​
In Sweden, Efe Ambrose’s Celtic crashed out of the UEFA Champions League play-off to Malmo FF 4-3 on aggregate having won the first leg 3-2.
Ambrose was an unused substitute in the defeat.​
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ucl-echiejile-scores-as-monaco-crash-igiebor-through/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:25pm On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
NFF Buy Oliseh New N6.5m Nissan Altima
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
In a bid to provide a conducive working environment, the Nigeria Football Federation have purchased a Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 2015 Model for coach of the Super Eagles, Sunday Oliseh.
This was confirmed by the NFF on their official Twitter handle on Tuesday.
It was also confirmed that the car was delivered at the NFF secretariat in Abuja.
“Sunday Oliseh Nissan Altima 2.5 SL 2015 Model Car has just been delivered at the NFF Secretariat,” the NFF tweeted with a picture of the parked car.
Comple tesportsnigeria.com checks show that the 2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL goes for just over $28,000 (about N6.5million).
Oliseh’s first assignment with the Eagles is against Tanzania in next month’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nation qualifier in Dar es Salam.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-buy-oliseh-new-n6-5m-nissan-altima/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:20pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria.
Chelsea loanee Omeruo wants to be great in Turkey
[/size]

Omeruo (left) has shone with Turkish club Kasimpasa on loan from Chelsea
Chelsea loanee Kenneth Omeruo has told AfricanFootball.com he hopes to soon hit top form at Turkish club Kasimpasa after impressing in the team’s first two games.
Omeruo was recently picked in a Turkish league Team of the Week on account of his stunning form.
“It is great to be selected (in Team of the Week) I must say, but my confidence was already built before I came to Turkey. I just need to keep working hard and thinking of helping my team positively for me to achieve greatness," Omeruo told AfricanFootball.com
The Nigeria defender said he is concentrating on getting better as the league progresses.
"I won't say I have fully fitted into the style of play here yet. But I am adapting fast. As a team we are keeping our concentration," Omeruo told AfricanFootball.com
"I am happy with the selection. It feels good to play and be appreciated for one’s efforts.
“We have one more game before the international break. We have to try and get points from the average teams so as to stay in the top bracket.”
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562726/Chelsea-loanee-Omeruo-wants-to-be-great-in-Turkey
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Hearts boss hails 'confident' Oshaniwa, but cools on title bid
[/size]

Oshaniwa - Hearts boss insists club must be more realistic
Hearts manager Robbie Neilson has hailed Nigeria international Juwon Oshaniwa for his confidence on his team challenging for the title, but the boss would rather play down the team's title challenge.
He revealed he has held temperance talks with his players in a bid to keep a lid on the bullish claims being made by some that they can land the Premiership title this season.
Defender Juwon Oshaniwa, an Africa Cup of Nations winner with Nigeria and a World Cup participant is of the opinion that his team can challenge for the title.
He said: “Juwon’s a confident boy and he’s won things before; he’s won the African Cup of Nations, which is a huge tournament and far better than the Scottish Premiership, that’s for sure.
“That’s the type of player he is. I’ve brought winners here and I want winners, I want guys that want to win things.
“But we still need to be realistic as to where we are.
“I’ve spoken to Juwon about it and the rest of the players about just keeping things under control.
“We need to be realistic about where we are. The media’s all jumping on the bandwagon after five games.
“But is anyone going up to Aberdeen telling them they’re going to win the league? They’re undefeated and have a game in hand, and can go ahead of us if they win their game 3-0.
“So, just because we got promoted last season doesn’t mean we’re automatically going to have a chance of the league, because we’re not.
He said it was difficult to keep a lid on things when people keep taking the team up five games into the season, and added: “From our perspective, we don’t talk about it in the dressing room – we don’t. We just talk about what we’re going to do on the Saturday or the next day or in the next game. That’s it.”
Neilson indicated earlier this summer that the cups would be more of a priority this season after last term extra attention was paid to the league and the successful bid to win promotion back to the top flight.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562624/Hearts-boss-hails-confident-Oshaniwa-but-cools-on-title-bid
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:38pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Afcon 2017 - Lawal Disagrees With Oliseh On Ighalo
[/size]
[img]http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00038351.html[/img]
John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses of Nigeria celebrate winning the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations final against Burkina Faso (file photo).
Former Super Eagles midfielder Garba Lawal has disagreed with Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh for excluding Watford striker, Odion Ighalo from the 2017 AFCON qualifier with Tanzania on September 5.
Lawal argued that Oliseh should have invited Ighalo to play alongside Anthony Ujah and Emmanuel Emenike
But the former Roda JC star added that Oliseh should be given the benefit of the doubt regarding his selections ahead of the clash in Dar es Salaam.
"They are both good players that have what it takes to play for Eagles and I'm sure they would soon be partnering for the team upfront but for now it's important that we allow the coach to implement his plans and ideas for the team without creating issues for him, Ighalo will be back in the team" Lawal told Fever Pitch.
Oliseh had while defending his decision to exclude Ighalo from the upcoming game, said "Emmanuel Emenike and Ujah are far better than Ighalo from Watford though we still have him in our plans.
"Emenike won the 2013 African Nations Cup winner with Eagles and has a physical presence in the team and we need to start giving respect to our players. Ujah has 11 goals to his credit and he plays in the German League where we have the World Champions so I think we just need two strikers for a role. Emenike and Ujah are heavyweight in that role" he concluded.
But the former Roda JC star added that Oliseh should be given the benefit of the doubt regarding his selections ahead of the clash in Dar es Salaam.
"They are both good players that have what it takes to play for Eagles and I'm sure they would soon be partnering for the team upfront but for now it's important that we allow the coach to implement his plans and ideas for the team without creating issues for him, Ighalo will be back in the team" Lawal told Fever Pitch.
Oliseh had while defending his decision to exclude Ighalo from the upcoming game, said "Emmanuel Emenike and Ujah are far better than Ighalo from Watford though we still have him in our plans.
"Emenike won the 2013 African Nations Cup winner with Eagles and has a physical presence in the team and we need to start giving respect to our players. Ujah has 11 goals to his credit and he plays in the German League where we have the World Champions so I think we just need two strikers for a role. Emenike and Ujah are heavyweight in that role" he concluded.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508251168.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:41pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF To Host CAF In Abuja
[/size]
All is now set for the two-day CAF National Club Licensing seminar at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja to be hosted by the Nigeria Football Federation.
This was revealed by NFF’s Club Licensing Manager, Nasiru Jibril, on the federation’s website which is scheduled for Thursday, 27 August and Friday, 28 August 2015.
CAF Club Licensing Manager, Ahmed Harraz, George Kasengele (Zambian), Dominique Niyonzima (Burundian) and Anthony Baffoe (Ghanaian) are CAF representatives. To the programme.
NFF President Amaju Pinnick, NFF Vice Presidents Seyi Akinwunmi and Shehu Dikko, NFF General Secretary, Mohammed Sanusi, will be joined by one representative of the Inspector-General of Police, Chairman of the NFF Medical Committee, NFF Legal Officer, NFF Security Officer, NFF Club Licensing Officer, one representative of the League Management Company and one representative of the States’ Directors of Sports.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has specially invited FIFA Match Commissioner and CAF Instructor, Dr. Bolaji Ojo-Oba and CAF General Coordinator Samson Adamu.
These persons will be joined by at least one representative from each of the 20 clubs in the Nigeria Professional Football League, though most of the clubs are sending more than one official.
Topics to be treated at the two –day seminar include ‘Objectives of CAF Club Licensing System,’ ‘National Club Licensing Regulations,’ ‘Key Stakeholders and Process of the System,’ ‘Decision-making Procedure,’ ‘Responsibilities of the License Applicant,’ ‘CAF Club Licensing Sporting Criteria,’ ‘Infrastructure Criteria,’ and ‘CAF Club Licensing Financial Criteria.’
[/b]

dailyindependentnig.com/safeme/2015/08/nff-to-host-caf-in-abuja/

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (161) (Reply)

Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.