Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (247664 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 9:56am On Nov 25, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

Wao!!! Even as a Chelsea fan, I never had the courage to dig that deep into the man's rich CV.
Actually Jose Mourinho is not overrated, though I still yearn for a more exiting play pattern from him.

The thing is, you don't need to play an exciting pattern to be a great coach. Infact, FourFourTwo, one of the World top football magazines, rates Mourinho as the best coach in the World for of 2015. See what they have to say about him:

[size=14pt]FourFourTwo's 50 Best Football Managers in the World 2015: No.1[/size]

15 July 2015

Without further ado, the best manager in world football profiled by Nick Ames...

They say never go back, but it’s as if Jose Mourinho was never away. Since returning to Stamford Bridge two summers ago, the Portuguese has proved that he is forged from everything that makes the Premier League such a compelling spectacle both on the pitch and beyond it.
Nobody, perhaps with the exception of Sir Alex Ferguson, has matched Mourinho's ability to hold opponents in his thrall regardless of the circumstances. The 52-year-old is a master of calling the tune, whether through the way he sets out his team or how he goads even the mildest-mannered of opponents – witness Manuel Pellegrini during the last campaign – into losing any psychological battle. Last season was the perfect example of his gifts.

Master of the procession
Chelsea began the season playing arguably the best football of any side Mourinho has managed. The Portuguese has sometimes been chided for his pragmatism, his willingness to win three points via the most straightforward route possible. But the summer signing of Cesc Fabregas pointed at a new direction and the team set a blistering pace, its dazzling midfield combinations invariably being finished off by another new signing, striker Diego Costa.

“Mourinho's side always did enough, even if it wasn’t pretty, but then Mourinho's sides always do
As injuries and suspensions began to bite in winter, Mourinho changed tack. A 5-3 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur seemed to sting him: Chelsea were noticeably more cautious after the turn of the year, with Costa struggling for fitness and Fabregas tiring, but their results remained by and large the same.

Mourinho's side always did enough, even if it wasn’t pretty, but then Mourinho's sides always do – and perhaps the flagship game for that approach was the 1-0 home win over Manchester United on April 18 that virtually guaranteed them the title. "This is a game we will never lose. Never," he told Eden Hazard in the build-up, and so it proved as Chelsea, despite seeing just 30% of the ball, executed their gameplan perfectly.

Chelsea's apparent conservatism drew criticism in the season's final weeks but it seemed patently unfair. In fact, it was simply evidence of Mourinho's remarkable ability to adapt to circumstances and secure results – something that he has done throughout his career. Witness his Champions League title with Inter Milan in 2010, when Mourinho decided that his team would be more dangerous without the ball than with it against Guardiola-era Barcelona, and promptly walked away with an against-all-odds semi-final victory.

Euro sceptics
Chelsea will be overwhelming favourites to push on and make others bend to Mourinho's will again in the 2015/16 campaign, although there are question marks beyond the debate about style. Mourinho's relationship with Roman Abramovich, which decayed to the point of his departure from his first stint at Chelsea in 2008, has looked healthier than ever but there will be those who wonder what the owner's decision to let long-serving goalkeeper Petr Cech join Arsenal – clearly against the manager's will – might do if the Gunners put a challenge together.

There’s also the thorny issue of Europe: if a run to the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2013/14 was fine, defeat to 10-man Paris Saint-Germain two rounds earlier last season was not and vast improvement will be expected this time.

If Mourinho finds his back against the wall, there are always those duels against other managers to win. The usually calm Pellegrini, whose job Mourinho effectively took when he was appointed at Real Madrid in 2010, could be found grumbling about him well after last season ended, accusing him of wanting "to take credit for everything" when Chelsea win and professing to "differ from him on all fronts". Pellegrini had accused Chelsea of playing like a "small team" in a 1-1 draw at the Etihad in September but it felt, and still feels, as if he had fallen into Mourinho's favourite trap.

Nobody plays the relentless, 24/7 Premier League soap opera like Mourinho, who has a habit of provoking fury in his rivals with a few well-chosen words that set media bandwagons rolling while he remains impervious. He is his own best spin doctor, too, as an appearance on Sky Sports’ Goals on Sunday programme the day after Nemanja Matic's red card against Burnley showed in February. Every motion is calculated for maximum effect.

Jose Mourinho in the Champions League
Beating Barca in 2010, losing to Liverpool in the Champions League in 2007 and that Porto 1-1 draw at Old Trafford
You win some, you win some

Nobody plays the relentless, 24/7 Premier League soap opera like Mourinho
None of that will change next season and perhaps Mourinho will even find himself in a closer battle, in the league and in the newspapers, against Arsene Wenger, who has never defeated him and with whom there is no love lost.
Regardless of the match-up, it is impossible to bet against a manager who has won eight league titles with four different clubs in the last 12 years. For all that ‘philosophies’ are deemed desirable in up-and-coming managers today, Mourinho lives by the one that really counts. His philosophy is purely to win – and he has rarely done anything else.

Tactics corner (by Michael Cox)
Jose Mourinho always trains his side primarily in two different systems, allowing him to switch quickly and easily for specific purposes. At Porto and in his first spell with Chelsea it was 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-3, then with Inter it was 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1, before 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 at Real Madrid and upon his return to Stamford Bridge.

That summarises Mourinho’s approach: he’s flexible and reacts according to the demands of individual matches, but he’s also highly organised and there’s little doubt his teams will be well prepared for the task in hand.

Mourinho has often faced accusations of being defensive, and he’s generally cautious in big games. However, some of his sides – particularly Real Madrid – have been rampant against weaker opposition. Perhaps a more accurate criticism is that his teams rely too much upon direct, counter-attacking play.

Mourinho hasn’t revolutionised football in a stylistic sense. Instead, he’s simply a master of carrying out standard tactics with devastating efficiency at exactly the right times – and, in that sense, he’s a very astute tactician.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-50-best-football-managers-world-2015-no1#zIoJ7FXi2W5MwMDy.99

If you say Mouriinho does not destroy teams but only go by with slim 1-0,2-1 margins, how do you account for the fact that he won by seriously wide margins while he was in Madrid. Infact, the margins were so great that he has the record for the most goals and most points in La Liga history. To put that into perspective, that is the league that Guardiola was for 5 years, and in which the Greatest player ever, Messi, who continues to break insane records, continues to play in.

It's even more interesting because coaches that people hail as attacking coaches like Guardiola, Cruyff, Ancelotti, Bosque, Manuel Pellegrini, Bernd Schuster, Fabio Capello, Carlos Queiroz, Guus Hiddink, Jupp Heynckes, Frank Rijkaard, Louis van Gaal, Bobby Robson, Luis Aragonés, etc have all coached in Spain, yet none of them come close to that amazing record.

Enough said!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 10:14am On Nov 25, 2015
Some of Mourinho's annihilation of opponents

2010–11 Season
6–1 victory over Deportivo La Coruña

4-1 victory over Malaga

6–1 over Racing Santander

4–0 over Ajax

8–0 against Levante

3–0 over Ajax

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 10:21am On Nov 25, 2015
Let's hear from Guardiola himself

Guardiola: Mourinho is the best

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola says that rival Jose Mourinho is 'the best coach in the world' after claiming that you do not need to have played the game to be a great manager.

Real Madrid's Mourinho never played at a high-level, while Guardiola enjoyed a distinguished playing career in midfield for Barcelona and also represented Spain.

However, Guardiola believes that a great boss is not necessarily carved out during a playing career and revealed his admiration for his great rival.

"It is not necessary to have played football to become a great coach," Guardiola explained. "[Arrigo] Sacchi changed this sport without having played, while Mourinho is probably the best coach in the world.

"To have been in dressing rooms before can help in certain situations, but to not have been can also have advantages."

Guardiola also said that he hoped he would be allowed to choose when he retired from management, rather than being sacked.

"When I was a player I knew the moment when I could not give any more at the same level," he added. "It was when I felt tired and I know that as a trainer the same thing will happen. I know that day will come when I am tired of it and I will leave.

"I hope that day comes because normally in the life of a coach they sack you before that because you lose games. At the moment I can choose, but I know that it will not always be like this. If I lose then they will kick me out."

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:51am On Nov 25, 2015
I "fan" no European club but I love "tactically beautiful football".

I also love "keen tactical football devoid of certain beauties" so long as it gets you results.

Plus, I love "winners" because I love winning all the time. *winks*

Come on now, let's be very honest here. I believe we've all seen the arguments, analyses, and points raised.

Jose Mourinho remains one of the best and finest coaches/managers in football history. He's NOT OVERRATED OR OVERHYPED. In fact, I like him majorly for one thing, "HE KNOWS HE'S THE BEST AND HE'S NOT AFRAID TO SAY SO"........ Some call that "total" Arrogance...... But I call it "IN-YOUR-FACE CHAMPIONS' MENTALITY". Take nothing away from "THE GENIUS" OF MOURINHO....... He wasn't lying when he once called himself "the special one".

EVEN SIR ALEX FERGUSON IN HIS LATEST AUTOBIOGRAPHY WILL TELL YOU MORE. On the day of Mourinho's unveiling to the press on his first day in England in 2003 for the 2003/04 season, Sir Alex knew here was "TROUBLE".

Like Sir Joseph1013 said. Enough said. *smiles*

On Pep Guardiola, this dude is without a doubt "the most elite coaching brand" for Total football/Tiki taka today. He has the titles and accolades also. Bound to go down in history as one of Football Elite's managers (just like Mourinho).

I love them both based on my "first two full sentences". Both are "great managers" BUT PLEASE, NEVER DO I WANT TO HEAR ANYONE TERM MOURINHO OVERHYPED AGAIN. Tu comprends??

Sir TheGoodJoe and Sir Tomtoxic, Thank you for your "GLADIATOR-LIKE" CONTRIBUTIONS. I WAS TEMPTED TO COME IN AT SOME POINT BUT BEHOLD, I STOOD BACK AND WATCHED. You both made good points and fine analyses from the angles you both were viewing yours.

Sir TheGoodJoe, please, maybe it was a "spur of the moment" reaction when you tagged Mourinho "overhyped"..... But you and I know how great a tactician and coach/manager Mourinho is. You know the statistics and the records. I know you may find his style "somewhat boring" BUT IT IS HIS STYLE AND HIS TACTICAL INGENUITY JUST CAN'T BE DENIED. He has the trophies and accolades to prove it.
Every where Mourinho has been he has conquered. Same for Guardiola (who has only been at 2 clubs so far). So let's end this aiit.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! *smiles*

Note: Every coach, no matter how great, has a flaw or flaws (archilles' heel). And Every great coach has passed through "drought" before no matter how short it was.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
joseph1013:
Some of Mourinho's annihilation of opponents

2010–11 Season
6–1 victory over Deportivo La Coruña

4-1 victory over Malaga

6–1 over Racing Santander

4–0 over Ajax

8–0 against Levante

3–0 over Ajax

[b]I did not say Mourinho can not annihilate teams. Compared to some coaches like Enrique and Guardiola. Mourinho can not compare to them when it comes to the consistency of annihilating teams.

Look at the last games of Bayern Munich.

Bayern Munich league games

14 Aug Bayern Munich 5 - 0 Hamburger SV
22 Aug Hoffenheim 1 - 2 Bayern Munich
29 Aug Bayern Munich 3 - 0 Leverkusen
12 Sep Bayern Munich 2 - 1 FC Augsburg
19 Sep Darmstadt 0 - 3 Bayern Munich
22 Sep Bayern Munich 5 - 1 Wolfsburg
26 Sep FSV Mainz 05 0 - 3 Bayern Munich
4 Oct Bayern Munich 5 - 1 Dortmund
17 Oct Werder Bremen 0 - 1 Bayern Munich
24 Oct Bayern Munich 4 - 0 FC Köln
30 Oct Frankfurt 0 - 0 Bayern Munich
7 Nov Bayern Munich 4 - 0 Stuttgart
21 Nov Schalke 04 1 - 3 Bayern Munich

Mourinho can not do this consistently and chooses a safe approach to win games. How can anyone say Mourinho is the best.

Can Enrique, Tito, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Boas and co. see their opponent go a man down and decide to sit back? That is fear, not tactical brilliance. We all know these coaches will go for the jugular.

The result I listed above goes back to the whole career of Guardiola. Until Mourinho shows the kind of brilliance of consistently destroying teams, he can not be the best.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:50pm On Nov 25, 2015
joseph1013:
Let's hear from Guardiola himself

Guardiola is being modest as we all know him to be. He will never go out and proclaim he is the best.

It was clear that Mourinho was the second choice when Guardiola turned down the job at Stamford Bridge.

If Guardiola wants to join any club now, they will sack the manager immediately, incuding Mourinho to get him. From Ferguson, to the heads of Man City, to PSG, to Chelsea will gladly accept Guardiola.

Yes, Mou has titles but it has not been over mind blowing results. The Volcano gave him the 2010 champions league. The Andrade red card of Lacoruna helped him in his first Champions league triumph. The Silver goal which was unfair to Celtics gave him the UEFA Cup.

Those are the major trophies Mourinho flaunts around.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
I "fan" no European club but I love "tactically beautiful football".

I also love "keen tactical football devoid of certain beauties" so long as it gets you results.

Plus, I love "winners" because I love winning all the time. *winks*

Come on now, let's be very honest here. I believe we've all seen the arguments, analyses, and points raised.

Jose Mourinho remains one of the best and finest coaches/managers in football history. He's NOT OVERRATED OR OVERHYPED. In fact, I like him majorly for one thing, "HE KNOWS HE'S THE BEST AND HE'S NOT AFRAID TO SAY SO"........ Some call that "total" Arrogance...... But I call it "IN-YOUR-FACE CHAMPIONS' MENTALITY". Take nothing away from "THE GENIUS" OF MOURINHO....... He wasn't lying when he once called himself "the special one".

EVEN SIR ALEX FERGUSON IN HIS LATEST AUTOBIOGRAPHY WILL TELL YOU MORE. On the day of Mourinho's unveiling to the press on his first day in England in 2003 for the 2003/04 season, Sir Alex knew here was "TROUBLE".

Like Sir Joseph1013 said. Enough said. *smiles*

On Pep Guardiola, this dude is without a doubt "the most elite coaching brand" for Total football/Tiki taka today. He has the titles and accolades also. Bound to go down in history as one of Football Elite's managers (just like Mourinho).

I love them both based on my "first two full sentences". Both are "great managers" BUT PLEASE, NEVER DO I WANT TO HEAR ANYONE TERM MOURINHO OVERHYPED AGAIN. Tu comprends??

Sir TheGoodJoe and Sir Tomtoxic, Thank you for your "GLADIATOR-LIKE" CONTRIBUTIONS. I WAS TEMPTED TO COME IN AT SOME POINT BUT BEHOLD, I STOOD BACK AND WATCHED. You both made good points and fine analyses from the angles you both were viewing yours.

Sir TheGoodJoe, please, maybe it was a "spur of the moment" reaction when you tagged Mourinho "overhyped"..... But you and I know how great a tactician and coach/manager Mourinho is. You know the statistics and the records. I know you may find his style "somewhat boring" BUT IT IS HIS STYLE AND HIS TACTICAL INGENUITY JUST CAN'T BE DENIED. He has the trophies and accolades to prove it.
Every where Mourinho has been he has conquered. Same for Guardiola (who has only been at 2 clubs so far). So let's end this aiit.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! *smiles*

Note: Every coach, no matter how great, has a flaw or flaws (archilles' heel). And Every great coach has passed through "drought" before no matter how short it was.

You said he is not overrated or over hyped. Yet you go on to call him the best. Is that not overrating and over hyping? Is Mourinho better than Guardiola?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2015
joseph1013:

The thing is, you don't need to play an exciting pattern to be a great coach. Infact, FourFourTwo, one of the World top football magazines, rates Mourinho as the best coach in the World for of 2015. See what they have to say about him:

If you say Mouriinho does not destroy teams but only go by with slim 1-0,2-1 margins, how do you account for the fact that he won by seriously wide margins while he was in Madrid. Infact, the margins were so great that he has the record for the most goals and most points in La Liga history. To put that into perspective, that is the league that Guardiola was for 5 years, and in which the Greatest player ever, Messi, who continues to break insane records, continues to play in.

It's even more interesting because coaches that people hail as attacking coaches like Guardiola, Cruyff, Ancelotti, Bosque, Manuel Pellegrini, Bernd Schuster, Fabio Capello, Carlos Queiroz, Guus Hiddink, Jupp Heynckes, Frank Rijkaard, Louis van Gaal, Bobby Robson, Luis Aragonés, etc have all coached in Spain, yet none of them come close to that amazing record.

Enough said!

[b]“Mourinho's side always did enough, even if it wasn’t pretty, but then Mourinho's sides always do
As injuries and suspensions began to bite in winter, Mourinho changed tack. A 5-3 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur seemed to sting him: Chelsea were noticeably more cautious after the turn of the year, with Costa struggling for fitness and Fabregas tiring, but their results remained by and large the same.

Mourinho's side always did enough, even if it wasn’t pretty, but then Mourinho's sides always do – and perhaps the flagship game for that approach was the 1-0 home win over Manchester United on April 18 that virtually guaranteed them the title. "This is a game we will never lose. Never," he told Eden Hazard in the build-up, and so it proved as Chelsea, despite seeing just 30% of the ball, executed their gameplan perfectly.

This portion of the article makes my point. Mourinho is not in the class of dominating teams repeatedly in games. He knows his level and sticks to it. He allows the Men who can stand the heat of attacking football handle it.

As Wenger said, defending is easy. That is why he can not be the best.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:12pm On Nov 25, 2015
**smiles**

Come on Sir GoodJoe. I termed him "one of the best......"

He calls himself "the best" and I like it when such people with great achievements know this about themselves.

Mohammed Ali (real name, Cassius Clay) thought the same way and talked the same way. And he proved it times and again.

I'm not saying Mourinho is better or Guardiola is better. I'm saying both belongs to the "most elite class" of Top tacticians and football managers/coaches we have today.

As for Mourinho being the best, IFFHS agreed so in 2004, 2005, 2010, 2012.

Guardiola also carries such accolades in 2009, 2011 etc.

All I'm saying is Mourinho is not wrong to think himself "the best". He has the records to prove it.

I even termed Guardiola "football's most elite manager
" in all-round attacking football/total football/tiki taka/all-dominating philosophy.

Both belong to the top. That's my point. I can't choose one over the other. But none of them is out of place to term himself "the best". Why? They both have the achievements to back themselves up.

TheGoodJoe:

You said he is not overrated or over hyped. Yet you go on to call him the best. Is that not overrating and over hyping? Is Mourinho better than Guardiola?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
**smiles**

He calls himself "the best" and I like it when such people with great achievements know this about themselves.

Mohammed Ali (real name, Cassius Clay) thought the same way and talked the same way. And he proved it times and again.

I'm not saying Mourinho is better or Guardiola is better. I'm saying both belongs to the "most elite class" of Top tacticians and football managers/coaches we have today.

All I'm saying is Mourinho is not wrong to think himself "the best". He has the records to prove it.

" in all-round attacking football/total football/tiki taka/all-dominating philosophy.

Both belong to the top. That's my point. I can't choose one over the other. But none of them is out of place to term himself "the best". Why? They both have the achievements to back themselves up.

My point is that, I will not rate Mourinho as one of the best because apart from he won titles, there is not too much we can celebrate about him. A coach who chose to play 5 central defenders in a game because of his opponent's superiority can not be the best. Maybe in your books, that is tactical brilliance. In mine, it is an acceptance of the superiority of his opponents.

When once he got his goal and PSG got a red card, Mourinho decided to defend because he knew he was up against the better side.

So, rating such a coach as the best or one of the best is nothing more than over hyping.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
**smiles**

You do not need to choose. One is clearly better.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
I understand what you mean. *smiles*

And I clearly rate "tactically beautiful football" as fronted by Guardiola, Late Tito Vilanova, Luis Enrique, etc ABOVE "keen tactical football devoid of certain beauties" as upheld by Mourinho.

Not a few find his style boring. You're one of the many who totally "dislikes" Mourinho's approach to games and I totally understand. *smiles*

But take nothing away from the man, Mourinho. IFFHS, FIFA and UEFA all can't be wrong.

*smiles*

TheGoodJoe:

My point is that, I will not rate Mourinho as one of the best because apart from he won titles, there is not too much we can celebrate about him. A coach who chose to play 5 central defenders in a game because of his opponent superiority can not be the best. Maybe in your books, that is tactical brilliance. In mine, it is an acceptance of the superiority of his opponents.

When once he got his goal and PSG got a red card, Mourinho decided to defend because he knew he was up against the better side.

So, rating such a coach as the best or one of the best is nothing more than over hyping.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2015
joseph1013:

Enough said!

The article says it all about Jose Mourinho, but fails to deny the fact that, he is more defense minded than attack.

cc:icon4s

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

The article says it all about Jose Mourinho, but fails to deny the fact that, he is more defense minded than attack.

men I dnt like discussing abt Mourinho cos I dnt like his coaching philosophy.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi, Utaka Happy With Oduamadi’s AC Milan Return
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

Super Eagles vice-captain Ogenyi Onazi is delighted his compatriot Nnamdi Oduamadi featured for Odumadi's parent club AC Milan after five years in Tuesday's ‎San Nicola Trophy Cup which the Rossoneri won.

Onazi, who plies his trade with SS Lazio, and Peter Utaka took to Instagram to hail the former Torino and Latina star.

The Nigerian‎ international however urged Oduamadi to work harder to stay at the Milanello

"Great to see you back in that shirt again.‎ Keep up the hard work brother," Onazi wrote.

Also praising the 25-year-old winger was Utaka who wrote: "Oonye ball skillful workshop."

Oduamadi is yet to ‎feature for the Super Eagles in over a year now after being given several chances by former coach Stephen Keshi.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-utaka-happy-oduamadis-ac-milan-return/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:15pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Igboun: Eagles don't fear Egypt
[/size]

Nigeria midfielder Sylvester Igboun is adamant that the Super Eagles can out-gun Egypt in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Nigeria will host the North Africans between March 23 and 26, before travelling to Cairo for the return game, scheduled between March 26 and 29.

The Pharaohs are leading Group G of the AFCON qualifiers with six points from two games, while t5he West Africans have four points from their two matches.

“I am not trying to disrespect Egypt, but if we put our acts together as team, I don’t see us losing to them,” Igboun was quoted as saying by the New Telegraph.

“The more we play together, the better we become as a team and with the calibre of players that we have in the team, it will be difficult to lose to any team especially Egypt."

Igboun believes the Super Eagles are currently on an upward trend under coach Sunday Oliseh.

“Game by game we are getting better as a team," he added. "Despite the antics of Swaziland [a 2-0 win in a World cup qualifier] to frustrate us, we were resolute to get the victory which we did.

“Same thing will apply to the game against Egypt next year and I am sure we are going to show them the real Super Eagles.

“We have a wonderful set of players and good technical crew which I am sure can qualify Nigeria for the Nations’ Cup next year."
http://www.football411.com/story/0,22162,14340_101880,00.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Agent: It's wait and see with Mikel at Chelsea
[/size]
The agent of Nigeria midfielder Mikel Obi has said they will adopt a wait-and-see approach as regards the player’s future at the Stamford Bridge.

Gareth Bale agents sign 4 Eaglets

The 28-year-old Mikel has been at Chelsea since 2006 and speculations were rife in the summer he could quit the London club with Al Ain of Dubai as well as several top clubs in Turkey.

Mikel’s agent John Shittu said Chelsea refused to sell in the summer.

“The player had offers to move at the beginning of the season, but Chelsea refused to sell because they probably have him in their plans,” said Shittu.

“Now we have to wait and see what happens.”

However, this season Mikel has only made five appearances, starting only two of these games.

The London-based agent also commented on the interest of several top European clubs for players of the victorious Golden Eaglets.

“I started this 10 years ago with Mikel and other players in the U17 team that the top clubs in Europe have to appreciate our players and so I’m not surprised that the current Eaglets are attracting such interest again,” he said.
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Africa/Nigeria/Sport
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
Icon4s:

men I dnt like discussing abt Mourinho cos I dnt like his coaching philosophy.

What about the impressive results he always churn out?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:58pm On Nov 25, 2015
[size=14pt]
Emenike returns from injury
[/size]
Al Ain of UAE hitman Emmanuel Emenike has announced his return to action for his team after he was sidelined by injury for a week.

"Starting with the team today (Wednesday) after one week injury. Ready to be backm" Emenike wrote on Instagram.

He suffered the injury while in action for Al Ain in a league cup game on 16th November in a 3-1 loss to Dibba Al Fujairah, when he was substituted in the 46th minute with Ryan Babel.

The former Nigeria international has scored four goals in six league games for Al Ain since his loan move from Fenerbahce last summer.

He won Turkish League 1 title with Karabukspor in 2009/2010 season, won Turkish Super League and the Super Cup with Fenerbahce in 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 seasons, respectively.

He has won the UAE Super Cup with Al Ain already.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588281/Emenike-returns-from-injury
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 9:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Pointing out that Heynckes started the change does not mean anything because I already pointed out. The league was not a one man league before Heynckes came in. If I am correct, Bayern were fourth on the table before Heynckes.

At that time, it was not a one man team. Heynckes revolutionised the team and they did well. Guardiola came and continued the legacy, breaking some league records of Heynckes.

Because, These men coached Bayern, to destroy their opponents, you can not imagine their competition and tagged the league a one man league. It was not a one man league before Heynckes and Guardiola. It is their excellence that have made you tag the league a one man league.
am not pointing out that heynecks started a change am pointing out that heynecks made it a 1 man league before handing over to guardiola so don't make it seem like guardiola had a hand in making it a one man league simply put he didn't just inherit the Bayern team he inherited the bundesliga title.
u knw generalization is bad saying Brentford would defend against city c'mon we saw an mk dons attack and dominate and won man u so what makes u think Brentford would defend.
bruh on a serious note Wenger should not be taken seriously u don't need to confirm from ifa b4 u knw defending isn't easier if not y couldn't Wenger defend wen Chelsea hit him for 6 or man u whipping him 8-2.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
BlackAlbino6:

being defensive minded shouldn't be denied ya knw defense is much a part of football as attack ya knw so to every man his tactics

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:59pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
VMP Final Countdown: Number 26 – Bright Dike
[/size]
[img]http://vocalminority.ca/wp-content/uploads/fc2015-26.jpg[/img]

By Duncan Fletcher
Highest Ranking: 17
Lowest Ranking: 27
Average Ranking: 24.17
Duncan: 26. Ah Bright Dike. I was relatively happy that TFC brought him back, that he didn’t get taken in the expansion draft. Could be a good depth option behind Altidore, or maybe even he could play in the middle of a 4-3-3, bringing his own brand of carnage to occupy the centre backs with Altidore and Giovinco playing off him? Imagine the possibilities if he could stay healthy and get some games in. After all, he was in line to make Nigeria’s 2014 World Cup team don’t you know!
Of course getting some games in didn’t happen. He did get into the 3rd game of the season in Real Salt Lake when Altidore was off playing for the US, coming in late in the game with TFC down one. What do you know, he got an assist, holding the ball up kind of clumsilybefore giving Jackson a return pass that put him through on goal and he scored.
He got another sub appearance in the next game against Chicago, bringing his season total to 20 minutes, and that was it. In April he went to San Antonio on loan, and then in August he was waived, because hey, if you’ve got Robbie Findley and Luke Moore, who could need further options? His lack of success with San Antonio and the fact that he hasn’t been picked up by another team yet suggest maybe it was the right decision. Just another of those theoretically very interesting players who just never got the chance to show what he could properly do. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up next, but I’m guessing that’s not going to be with Nigeria any time soon.
Tony: 27. It feels like we’ve been rating Bright Dike for years. It also feels like we use “N/A” everytime. So long Bright. For realz this time.
Mark: 21. Taken from us far too soon.
Kristin: 26. I feel bad for him but the only Carnage he did was to his health insurance.
Mark_HSV 26. 20 minutes played, but he got an assist! I prefer him to Luke Moore and Robbie Findley, but he was never part of TFC’s plans.
Yelling at soccer 26. He played?
Jordylike 24. Always injured, always intriguing, then dropped entirely. Part of the next to nothing we got in exchange for Urruti.
TC St Clair 20. Only played 20 minutes, and got an assist. Sorry to see him go, but there was no more room up top.
Jason Anderson 24. Another player who would be higher if he were healthy/ever played. Is this just a trendy thing you folks are doing?
Ben Bromley 25. A player whose potential is intriguing (some of us wanted DC to take a flyer), but its just not working out.
Richard Wyatt 17. Contributed more by being released than most of the central defenders
Alex Lach 26. Loaned out then released, could have been useful for a TFC that at times lacked that power forward to control the ball when needed
Mike Newell 26. Incomplete grade, never really recovered from another blown achilles. A shame really as he’s a great guy.
vocalminority.ca/vmp-final-countdown-number-26-bright-dike/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
Tomtoxic:

am not pointing out that heynecks started a change am pointing out that heynecks made it a 1 man league before handing over to guardiola so don't make it seem like guardiola had a hand in making it a one man league simply put he didn't just inherit the Bayern team he inherited the bundesliga title.
u knw generalization is bad saying Brentford would defend against city c'mon we saw an mk dons attack and dominate and won man u so what makes u think Brentford would defend.
bruh on a serious note Wenger should not be taken seriously u don't need to confirm from ifa b4 u knw defending isn't easier if not y couldn't Wenger defend wen Chelsea hit him for 6 or man u whipping him 8-2.

You are all over the place and you miss the point. Arsene Wenger is more of an attacking coach and he plays an open football that leaves them susceptible to goals. Just like Pochettino or Roberto Martinez.

Arsene Wenger chose the harder route, (Although he is changing this season). But, in general, he chose the harder route. So Wenger saying defending is easy, means, he can easily set up Arsenal to pack bus and rake points. He means, there is nothing genius about that.

Are you saying that if you select ten championship teams, all of them will choose to attack Man City or most will attack or few to none will attack? Your answer will prove my point.

Listing a championship team that attacked Man Utd does not change the point.

As for Heynckes, he did a great job and it takes a great coach to continue the greatness. That is why Guardiola is great. If inheriting a top team means constant success, why did Moyes fail woefully?

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:32am On Nov 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
I will play for Nigeria for free-Akas
[/size]
Nigeria International, Chima Akas says the motivation to play for the country is not driven by money after he opted out of the U-23 Eagles for the Senior national team.

In a chat withfootballlive.ng, the Sharks FC left-back stressed that he is committed to playing for any of the National teams he’s eligible to represent, without any concern for the financial reward that comes with it.

“Am not bothered about the money, I could play for the country whether it’s rich or poor; money has never been my motivation to play for the country, this is my country,” he said.
thenationonlineng.net/i-will-play-for-nigeria-for-free-akas/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:40am On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
JANUARY 2016 FIFA-FREE WINDOW: Swazis woo Eagles for friendly
[/size]
Against the backdrop of report credited to Super Eagles’ head coach, Sunday Oliseh who disclosed that Sihlangu Semnikati of Swaziland gave his team a tough fight and would love to engage the side in a friendly match in the future, Harris Bulunga who led the Southern African nation to Nigeria has welcomed another challenge game.

Bulunga in an exclusive chat withSportingLifeyesterday from Swaziland stated that they would jump at the offer to face any of the top nations on the continent and that they won’t have a second thought if Nigeria’s senior national team makes concrete offer to tackle them.

Oliseh had during the post-match interview with journalists in Port Harcourt’s Adokie Amiesimaka Stadium praised the Sihlangu Semnikati for their resilience and determination while adding that they are a side he would like to face in the future in a friendly match.

Bulunga while reacting to Oliseh’s complimentary remarks accepted the Eagles’ challenge and also added that the King’s Shield were treated to wonderful reception on their return to Lobamba and that some institutions donated cash to the team to appreciate their impressive display against mighty Eagles even though they eventually lost.

Swazi coach still insisted that the result would have been different had they played with four of their players who missed the tie due to injuries and that they have started building on their outing with the Nigeria’s national team.

“Eagles’ coach said they would like to face us in the future and I want to say that we will be willing to play all top teams in Africa and Nigeria is part of those list. We will be happy to play Nigeria anywhere if the friendly match is made concrete. We were happy with our display against the Eagles and even though we lost, we went out with our heads high.

“We have started to build on the way we played against the Eagles and we are hoping that our performance can be more consistent in the AFCON qualifiers so that we will be able to play in 2017 AFCON. We are not taken our two matches with the Brave Warriors of Zimbabwe lightly at all. We know those matches will define if we will play at AFCON or not,” Bulunga told SportingLife.

He disclosed that the Swazi Football Federation has promised to give the senior national team the necessary support to ensure that the team qualifies for the 2017 AFCON as they presently top Group L with four points from two matches.

Bulunga said that their double header with Zimbabwe next March would define their place in the Group and that they won’t like to joke with those two matches.

SportingLife recalls that Swaziland senior national team lost 2-0 on aggregate to the Eagles in the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier played last week.
thenationonlineng.net/january-2016-fifa-free-window-swazis-woo-eagles-for-friendly/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:28pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Uzoenyi quits multi-million Naira contract
[/size]

Ejike Uzoenyi

by Samm Audu

Ex-Enugu Rangers winger Ejike Uzoenyi is expected to soon quit South African club Mamelodi Sundowns, where he is reportedly on 5m Rands (about 100 million Naira) a year.

Nwakali heads to Belgium

Former Nigeria international Uzoenyi has not been registered for this season’s Premier Soccer League after injuries caused him to fall down the pecking order at ‘The Brazilians’.

Uzoenyi’s agent Mohammed Lawal said he hopes to agree with Sundowns to release the player in January.

“He will certainly be playing somewhere else in January,” said the Johannesburg-based agent, who claims there are interests in South Africa and overseas for the player.

Uzoenyi was recently in Nigeria to celebrate the birth of his child.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588508/Uzoenyi-quits-multi-million-Naira-contract
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:46pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: 2018 World Cup - Abdullahi Backs Oliseh to Qualify
[/size]
Super Eagles midfielder Shehu Abdullahi says it will be a difficult task qualifying for the FIFA 2018 World Cup but he is confident coach Sunday Oliseh can lead to them to get the ticket.

Abdullahi played at right back in the two second leg Africa zone qualifier against Swaziland and did quite well especially in the return leg in Port-Harcourt.

Goals from Moses Simon and Efe Ambrose gave Nigeria a 2-0 aggregate win and a passage to the final round which starts next October.

"It's going to be difficult. The big boys in Africa will be into the pots for the draws and I hope we get a good draw,"the AC Madeira midfielder said.

"I'm happy we are into the final leg of the draws and by God's grace we shall make it to Russia. The team is coming together and we play better game by game."

"Coach Oliseh (Sunday) is a good coach and I'm sure with him we can make it. The team is young and we keep improving.

"It's going to be hard but I trust the boys to come up big when it matters. Nigeria will be in Russia in 2018 by God's grace."he added.

The 20 teams that have qualified for the third and final round of the qualifiers will be drawn into five, four-team groups.Teams will then play on a home and away basis with the winner of each group qualifying for Russia 2018.

The group stage of the qualifiers starts on October 3rd 2016 and will run until November 6, 2017 when the qualified teams are expected to emerge
http://allafrica.com/stories/201511260912.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by jotey(m): 4:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

You are all over the place and you miss the point. Arsene Wenger is more of an attacking coach and he plays an open football that leaves them susceptible to goals. Just like Pochettino or Roberto Martinez.

Arsene Wenger chose the harder route, (Although he is changing this season). But, in general, he chose the harder route. So Wenger saying defending is easy, means, he can easily set up Arsenal to pack bus and rake points. He means, there is nothing genius about that.

Are you saying that if you select ten championship teams, all of them will choose to attack Man City or most will attack or few to none will attack. Your answer will prove my point.

As for Heynckes, he did a great job and it takes a great coach to continue the greatness. That is why Guardiola is great. If inheriting a top team means constant success, why did Moyes fail woefully?
una dn turn here 2 mourinho vs guadiola

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:53pm On Nov 26, 2015
[size14pt]
Europa: Injured Onazi Charges Lazio To Beat Babatunde’s Dnipro
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles assistant captain Ogenyi Onazi has stated that Lazio will be targeting three points when they take on Michael Babatunde's Dnipro in Thursday's Europa League clash at the Stadio Olimpico.

Lazio are top of Group G on 10 points, while Dnipro are third with four points.

Commenting ahead of the game, Onazi who is currently injured, wished his team-mates all the best.

He wrote on his Twitter handle: "Wishing my team-mates the very best today. Three points is our business."

In the group's other game, French side Saint-Etienne will take on Norwegian side Rosenborg who are bottom of the group.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/europa-injured-onazi-charges-lazio-beat-babatundes-dnipro/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:00pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Angola’s Primeiro Agosto Place $1m Price On Nigerian Star
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Primeiro Agosto of Angola have placed a $1 million price tag on their Nigerian midfielder Ibukun Akinfenwa to ward off interess from tops clubs in Portugal, Comple tesportsnigeria.com has been informed by the player.

Portuguese side SC Braga have not ended their interest in Akinfenwa as they and some other unnamed Russian teams are planning to make another bid for the midfielder who recently signed a two-year deal at the Primeiro.

Akinfenwa whose side missed out on the Angola Girabola League title due to the head-to-head rule to Clube Recreativo Desportivo Do Libolo has also set his sights on emulating Emem Eduok who starred for the Super Eagles despite playing in an African league.

"I recently signed a two-year deal with my team despite the few offers I have from Portugal," he told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"But I guess the price tag scares them away.The most important thing for me now is to play for my country.

“I’m thinking about it [a call-up], although I’ve not earned it yet,”
“It’s not so close that I have to worry about it.

"For me, the best thing is to improve to a certain level and hope the coach give me a chance just like Emem Eduok got his."
www.completesportsnigeria.com/angolas-primeiro-agosto-place-1m-price-nigerian-star/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 9:01pm On Nov 26, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Are you saying that if you select ten championship teams, all of them will choose to attack Man City or most will attack or few to none will attack. Your answer will prove my point.

am not debating Wenger being an attacking coach or not all am saying is if he feels defending and parking the box is easy then he should have at least tried doing it whenever his team starts get ripped apart to reduce the amount they finally concede cuz no season goes by without dem being spanked by a fellow big team.
some championship teams would defend some would attack that's y I brought up mk dons to prove u just can't generalize.
now the bone of contention from the beginning is which coach is the better tactician
now hear the words of ibrahimovic about guardiola and mourinho.
on guardiola -"Whatever happened, as a coach
he was fantastic," Ibrahimovic said. "
on mourinho "[Mourinho is] the master brain,
mastermind. He know what he
needs to do to win."
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:15pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal Legend Wright Impressed With Deeney, Ighalo Partnership
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Arsenal legend Ian Wright is impressed by the partnership of Troy Deeney and Idion Ighalo for Watford this season.

Wright who is also a big fan of Watford captain Deeney claims the former Aston Villa's youth star has struck a perfect understanding with the Nigerian international, providing three assists of his seven goals.

According to Wright, Deeney offers intense work rate and bustle as well as his physically robust style.

“Troy's very unselfish in the way he gives his body up, he gives himself up for the team. He'll do anything he can to retain possession and get it back in play, get it into Ighalo," Wright told the Watford Observer.
"Quite a few of Ighalo's goals, Troy Deeney's had a hand in them.
He's been integral to what's going on with Watford."

Wright also admits Ighalo won't be sorely missed if he's out but the Hornets won't cope well without their captain.

He said: “As much as if Ighalo got injured it's obviously going to be a massive blow, but Troy Deeney getting injured would be a real devastating blow for them.

"Hopefully they can stay fit because I think he's in the mould of the old fashioned centre forward. He just wants to make sure that he holds it up and keeps the play going because that's integral to Watford and the way they play."
www.completesportsnigeria.com/arsenal-legend-wright-impressed-deeney-ighalo-partnership/
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (161) (Reply)

Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Boy Wins 43 Million Naira On Bet9ja In Benue With Just 100 Naira(sreenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.