Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation (31827 Views)

Conduit Electrical Installation For A Nairalander / The Electrical Installation Of A Proposed 3 Bed Room Block Of 6 Flats.. / Earthing Materials: What You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 3:46pm On May 15, 2015
In electricity supply systems, an earthing system or grounding system is circuitry which connects parts of the electric circuit with the ground, thus defining the electric potential of the conductors relative to the Earth's conductive surface. The choice of earthing system can affect the safety and electromagnetic compatibility of the power supply.
Many people don’t take the earthing and bonding serious in electrical installation. Earthing plays a wide role in electrical installation and these days some sensitive equipment we install in our various homes and offices.
My father’s house electrical installations was done by old electrician called old school electrician(Baba sikira). It was a surface system of wiring(all the cables were run surface) and tiny cable were used for the earth that goes straight to the ground which form their own earthing and bonding of the electrical installation.

NOW TO THE FACT: Anytime there was thunder strike when it rains, it normally affects our TV and some sensitive equipment in the house. Road side electrician (called RADIONIC in my local language) normally repair our TV then. So anytime its about to rain my father will off the TV and disconnect the plug from the wall so that thunder strike will not affect it again.
So everything opened to me when i was in university that when a house or structure is not properly earthed, sensitive equipment are in danger.
In contrast, a functional earth connection serves a purpose other than shock protection, and may normally carry current. The most important example of a functional earth is the neutral in an electrical supply system. It is a current-carrying conductor connected to earth, often, but not always, at only one point to avoid flow of currents through the earth. The NEC calls it a grounded supply conductor to distinguish it from the equipment grounding conductor. Other examples of devices that use functional earth connections include surge suppressors and electromagnetic interference etc.
People use an earthing system mainly for these applications:
• To protect a structure from lightning strike, directing the lightning through the earthing system and into the ground rod rather than passing through the structure.
• Part of the safety system of mains electricity, preventing problems associated with floating ground and sky voltage.

Check the pictures below.

For your Electrical, plumbing design drawing and installation. Contact us

For further info call 08033643191 or 08051750560
Whatsap: 08033643191
Pin: 24ED26C9
Email; atope23@live.co.uk, topselg.engineering@gmail.com

You can visit our thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1804476/complete-package-design-drawing-electrical

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/9

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 4:18pm On May 15, 2015
This is the real earthing system that comprises of:
Charcoal
Industrial salt
Copper Earth rod

More pix to come...............

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by peaceland(m): 4:32pm On May 15, 2015
Please extend the discussion to the cost aspect too sir.
and when best to be done
thank you
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 7:45am On May 17, 2015
peaceland:
Please extend the discussion to the cost aspect too sir.
and when best to be done
thank you

The cost vary from one location to the other. Numbers of earth rod determines the cost of earthing. The most important is to get the value < 1-ohms(I.e less than or equal to 1-ohms). Final figure determines the cost.

Thanks
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by peaceland(m): 5:13pm On May 17, 2015
topsy23:

The cost vary from one location to the other. Numbers of earth rod determines the cost of earthing. The most important is to get the value < 1-ohms(I.e less than or equal to 1-ohms). Final figure determines the cost.

Thanks
so as not to confuse me sir can you do a sample exposition of the prices using a real case example
someone gave me 700k bill for lightning protector for a bungalow which I consider high
Thanks sir
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 8:40pm On May 17, 2015
peaceland:

so as not to confuse me sir can you do a sample exposition of the prices using a real case example
someone gave me 700k bill for lightning protector for a bungalow which I consider high
Thanks sir

700k? Habaaa, too much my brother. For a normal earth pit below is the breakdown.
Earth rod(original) like 7length @ N4.000/Length
Earth coupler 8nos @ 600per one 4,800
Earth clamp @ N1,200
Industrial salt 1bag @ N6,500
Charcoal @ N500 or 1k max
Earth cable 30m(depend on the distance) @ N7500

Lightning Arrestor
Spike is about 8,000
Copper tape is N1600 per meter and since the building is a bungalow u will need up to 15m.
Clip for the tape @ N150 per u will need 6pcs.

I hope this solve the problem bros.

Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 9:05am On May 21, 2015
EARTH PIT complete with charcoal, industrial salt, earth rod, and bare copper cable to link them together

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by peaceland(m): 11:34am On May 21, 2015
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 2:44pm On May 21, 2015
peaceland:

Thanks a lot sir,
I did a rough calculation of above to be like 80k.
okay can you compare above with what i am posting below in terms of materials (i have removed the cost for confidentiality purposes).
I want to understand the differences as the objective was supposed to be same:
AIR TERMINAL INSTALLATION
INGESCO PDC 3.1 -ESE Air Terminal
Brass adapting piece for air terminal Installation
Mast for installation
Mast anchor, 30cm, 3 support
Meter of pure Copper tape 25X3mm

EARTH TERMINATION SYSTEM
Stainless steel Earth rod 16mm x 1500
U bolt clamp for rod - tape/ cable connection
Meter of Stranded Cu 70mm 25
Test bar
Polypropylene inspection pit
QUIBACSOL MINERAL COMPOUND (Soil conductivity improver gel)

INTERNAL PROTECTION (SPD)
PROBLOC BR 100/440 (3+1)

Thank you
Also, what type of charcoal - the common type that boli people uses - that will quickly decay in the ground.
Also the salt, will it not leach away from the location?
most houses these days don't seem to have this feature, I guess this is based on the believe that PHCN wiring and new methods of wiring are okay; if not okay why are people not doing it?
how deep should the hole be and what determines the location - e.g can it be situated close to a borehole or sewage/septic tank?
Thank you

Bros, is your building an office space or bank? why is your installer proposing INGESCO PDC 3.1 -ESE Air Terminal for your project? Do you have any sensitive equipment to install? This product is too expensive for a bungalow project of yours.

see the attached picture of what your installer is proposing to install for you.

Tope

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by peaceland(m): 5:02pm On May 21, 2015
topsy23:

Bros, is your building an office space or bank? why is your installer proposing INGESCO PDC 3.1 -ESE Air Terminal for your project? Do you have any sensitive equipment to install? This product is too expensive for a bungalow project of yours.

see the attached picture of what your installer is proposing to install for you.

Tope

Thank you
Also, what type of charcoal - the common type that boli people uses - that will quickly decay in the ground.
most houses these days don't seem to have this feature, I guess this is based on the believe that PHCN wiring and new methods of wiring are okay; if not okay why are people not doing it?
how deep should the hole be and what determines the location - e.g can it be situated close to a borehole or sewage/septic tank?
Thank you
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 5:29pm On May 21, 2015
peaceland:

Thank you
Thank you

The charcoal is the normal charcoal but the salt is not cooking salt(an industrial salt they call it marconite in engineering terms)

The best is to prevent your house from lightning, surge and the risk of electric shock when touching the metal in the house. I have been to a house in which I received electric shock when I touched the kitchen sink.it shows that the house is not properly earthed.
Let the earth pit be a bit far away from borehole and dimension should 1000mmLx1000mmBx1200mmD

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 10:44pm On May 24, 2015
We are here to make your installation the best. Call us today. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by egin(m): 2:16am On May 26, 2015
Topsy, thanks for the info.
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by segcymoor(m): 7:42am On May 26, 2015
peaceland:

Thank you
Thank you
.....Why can't you kuku let him do the job for you?

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by mufutau55(m): 4:06pm On May 26, 2015
segcymoor:

True o. I support. And forget about those giving you wrong quotations... give it to the expert.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by peaceland(m): 9:00pm On May 26, 2015
mufutau55:

True o. I support. And forget about those giving you wrong quotations... give it to the expert.

Hajji M.
segcymoor:

mufutau55:

Hajji M.
@ segcymoor, @ mufutau55
Thanks sirs
actually we are already discussing this and another related service
Just want to ask questions that I have and believes others too may have
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by mufutau55(m): 9:11pm On May 26, 2015
peaceland:

@ segcymoor, @ mufutau55
Thanks sirs
actually we are already discussing this and another related service
Just want to ask questions that I have and believes others too may have
Thanks

Good boss. I trust you oh!

Hajji M.
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 7:22pm On May 27, 2015
@ segcymoor, @ mufutau55

Thank you sirs, discussion is on-going as per the job and other services.

Thanks
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by mufutau55(m): 7:26pm On May 27, 2015
topsy23:
@ segcymoor, @ mufutau55
Thank you sirs, discussion is on-going as per the job and other services.
Thanks

It dey sweet me when I hear those kind thing for Properties Forum here... I don rest my case. Good work.

Hajji M.
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by twinskenny(m): 9:05am On May 28, 2015
topsy23:

700k? Habaaa, too much my brother. For a normal earth pit below is the breakdown.
Earth rod(original) like 7length @ N4.000/Length
Earth coupler 8nos @ 600per one 4,800
Earth clamp @ N1,200
Industrial salt 1bag @ N6,500
Charcoal @ N500 or 1k max
Earth cable 30m(depend on the distance) @ N7500

Lightning Arrestor
Spike is about 8,000
Copper tape is N1600 per meter and since the building is a bungalow u will need up to 15m.
Clip for the tape @ N150 per u will need 6pcs.

I hope this solve the problem bros.

Thanks.

installation cost not included
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 3:10pm On Jun 07, 2015
Recent pictures of earthing system done for a Nairalander. Earth rod and digging

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 3:13pm On Jun 07, 2015
Driving the earth rod to the soil

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 3:17pm On Jun 07, 2015
Bonding of the earth rod together to form the bonding system

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 3:20pm On Jun 07, 2015
Pouring of Industrial salt(marconite) and charcoal to complete the earthing system.

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 3:25pm On Jun 07, 2015
Complete earthing and bonding system

Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 9:15pm On Jun 13, 2015
twinskenny:

installation cost not included

Boss, you are right excluding installation cost. That's just the cost of materials for one earth pit. Numbers of earth pit to be dug will depend on the soil.
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 5:43pm On Jun 16, 2015
egin:
Topsy, thanks for the info.

You are welcome sir
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 8:12pm On Jul 06, 2015
Call us today for your Electrical and plumbing installation
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 7:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
Call us today.
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2015
Call us today and I have a great day.......
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by topsy23: 7:24pm On Sep 23, 2015
Call us today......
Re: Importance Of Proper Earthing And Bonding System In Electrical Installation by ironheart(m): 9:06am On Sep 25, 2015
great job you doing, keep it up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Updates From The Lokoja Flood Situation. / Harrison Gwamnishu Builds House For Parents For Their Support When He Was Jailed / How Can I Please Deal With A Slanderous Neighbour?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.