Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY (23658 Views)

Tension In Ibadan Poly As Student Dies At Medical Centre / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: FUNAAB VS IBADAN POLY. WINNER: IBADAN POLY. / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by kayusbrown(m): 5:26pm On May 16, 2015
Good points on either side.

My observation:

Ibadan Poly argued concisely with the following vital points:

1. The socioeconomic impacts of criminalizing abortion on the nation (almajiris in the north and street urchins in the south come to mind. Most of them are products of unwanted/unplanned pregnancies).

2. The physiological, psychological, social and economic impact of unwanted pregnancies on women.

3. Criminalizing abortion is counterproductive. It doesn't stop/reduce abortion. People still find a way to abort unwanted pregnancies even in countries where abortion is illegal.

4. Legalizing abortion will not only reinforce the freedom of choice for women, but also allow them to abort SAFELY by engaging the services of qualified doctors.

5. Other benefits of legalizing abortion like population control.

LASU harped mainly on the MORALITY of abortion and THE RIGHT OF THE UNBORN CHILD to life.

2 Likes

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by lazsnaira(m): 5:26pm On May 16, 2015
Lovely
With topics as this nairaland would be rid of Rodents.
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Sammyjay4411(m): 5:34pm On May 16, 2015
Repping Team LASU
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Crispels(m): 5:36pm On May 16, 2015
Fynestboi:
The Amiable and Powerful Chief Host
Seun Osewa - CEO Nairaland
Honorable CHAIRMAN of the Occasion
Lalasticlala
Ever Ready COORDINATORS
Incorruptible JUDGES
My fellow debaters
Good day Ladies and Gentlemen

Lagos State University debaters are here to oppose blatantly and firmly the topic, Legalization of Abortion in Nigeria: A freedom of Choice.
The controversy as to whether abortion on demand should be legalized in Nigeria has been long and protracted. A great many insist that all forms of willful abortion should be criminalized. In this school of thought, we find the Catholic Church at the baseline. Nevertheless, the leftist pro-choice school defends the opinion that it is only fair and just that a woman should be left to decide in such a grave matter about her life and health. The end of civil and criminal laws is to safeguard relationships and environments conducive to life as well as to protect life together with the property that enhances same. When laws municipal and/or international derail from this objective, doom is obviously impending. A proper understanding of the ultimate essence of law is therefore the intensification of conditions and circumstances favorable to life and human coexistence. A primary principle of Natural law relates to the preservation of life conatus essendi from the same derives the imperative of procreation and the inviolability of the human family as secondary principles. Hence any legal system that is properly inspired by the Natural law is likely to oppose all threats to life and living conditions of citizens.

Sequel to the above analysis, abortion as we shall try to understand it is one of the most fundamental anti-life preservation devices. Etymologically, it comes from two Latin words abortus and abortive meaning miscarriage, premature birth or perishing by an untimely birth respectively. Hence, in the widest intention of the word, abortion includes all cases of fetal expulsion from the womb whether inadvertently – miscarriage or spontaneous abortion or induced – abortion on demand. However, in its most concise extension, abortion so to speak denotes all cases of induced abortions. It is in this understanding that Fagothey states that: “abortion is the expulsion of a non viable fetus, that is of one too young to live outside the womb.” In the opinion of Callaham, it is the “ending of a pregnancy before the embryo or fetus can live outside the female body.” For Mathews, it is “the termination of pregnancy before independent viability of the fetus develops.”The World Health Organization (WHO) defines unsafe abortion as a procedure for terminating a pregnancy performed by persons lacking the necessary skills or in an environment not in conformity with minimal medical standards, or both.

In modern society, one of the most aggressive challenges to human life is the question of legal abortion. Here, what started with modern irreligion and craze for materialism is sought to be given a legal affirmation by a legislative act. Presently, many countries in Europe and America have given the seal to that culture of death. Down here in Nigeria, the debate continues and the two camps to the debate are flexing muscles for legislative recognition. The questions that have been addressed by both parties to the controversy include: when does life begin? Is a fetus a human person? What is the effect of fetal viability in the ascertainment of right? Is the health of the mother and/or her convenience a sufficient reason for a legislative action in favor of abortion? These questions and many more are Para-legal concerns before a dependable legal position can be taken by our courts and law makers.
There is no scientific doubt whatsoever that human life begins when the ovum of the mother and the sperm of the father unite. And at that point the whole genetic plan and code of that individual is there. The above words of Marks, the world leader of the pro-life movement, summarize the stand of the Lagos state University on the Topic. Fetal life, totally different from the mother’s, has separate and complete genetic constitution of forty-six chromosomes, and begins at conception. And any calculated attempt to abort it is morally reprehensible and ought also to be legally unlawful for law is a promoter of morals. In which case, what is moral and ethical will be defended by a legislative act. After conception, the embryo is alive and can now replace its own dying cells and needing nothing more but food and time to grow into a mature adulthood. This was demonstrated in Sweeney’s writing to the effect that “What is often called a cloth of blood is in fact a human being. Under electronic microscope, the different parts of a child’s body (head, eyes, arms, legs, etc.) are visibly forming within three weeks of conception.” Scientifically, after twenty-five days, the heart is beating already and by thirty days the brain is fully formed and all the organs are set for action.

Law and Morality are two institutions that greatly influence one another. It must be observed that under strict rational and ethical considerations, the life of the mother is not of any greater value than the life of the child/fetus. To justify abortion on the grounds of maternal indications fails because, human life is the same and of equal value whether of the mother or of the unborn. Man’s freedom and convenience stops where those of others including the unborn begin. No man can lawfully expend another’s life in favor of his own. At conception a distinct subject of right and legal protection is generated by natures act and reason. Not even when the subject is defective and/or deformed does it qualify for death by killing. “Care not killing” says Fagothey is due to the defective fetus. Killing is not therapeutic. It cannot heal. Both are hermeneutical opposites. Not even the issue of using “viability” defined in terms of “survivability” to determine permissibility of abortion is acceptable to the metaphysics of life. Viability rests on the sophistication of external support system prevailing at a time. It has no relationship with the value of the individual human life. Indeed, no one can decide for another in a matter as ultimate as having to die. This is the error of most modern legal systems which the Legal System in Nigeria must not follow. All freedoms which the laws have sought to defend pivot around the freedom to live and the denial of it amounts to the denial of the entire scheme of human freedom and the projection of a mechanistic world inimical to the moral universe and this defeats the end of our laws.
Every law, to be competent, as to regulate human and socio-political affairs ought to be reasonable and for law to be reasonable, it must draw from the rich deposits of moral, religious and sociological considerations which blend into the normative composite of the richest values of human history. Therefore, I think I need not emphasize much on the need for all us to rally round against the Legalization of Abortion in Nigeria as it is not a right to Freedom of choice to negate a right to Life.

Thank you

REFERENCE
1. World Health Organization
2. RIGHT TO LIFE AND ABORTION DEBATE IN NIGERIA: A CASE FOR THE LEGISLATION OF THE PRINCIPLE OF DOUBLE-EFFECT - Maurice Okechukwu Izunwa
3. No. 2, Albertta, Life Ethics Centre, 1992, P. 1 - Hence Alphonse De Valk
4. Roe v. Wade (1973) 410 U.S. 113, 93 S.Ct. 705
5. A. Fagothey, Right and Reason Collumbus, c.u. Moshby Co., 1959
6. D. Callaham, “Abortion” World Book Encyclopedia Chicago, Child-craft International inc., 1979
7. H.M. Leonard, “Abortion” Encyclopedia Britanica New York: William Benton Pub., 1972,
8. B. Sarvis and R. Hyman, The Abortion Controversy New York, Columbia University press,1974.
9. P. Mark, “Interview on Abortion” Touch Magazine, No. 95 July-November, 1990
10. R.V. Wade (1973) 410 U.S. 113, 93 S.Ct. 705.
11. Willke, Abortion: Questions and Answers, Ohio, Hayes Pub. Co., 2003

[size=18pt]

WORD COUNT: 1195
[/size]

GREATEST LASUITES bro..

What department and level??
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by luthorcorp: 5:39pm On May 16, 2015
flexingPAPA:
I think say nah only me notice am....the guy only succeeded in confusing, rather than convincing.
hahaha,its so amusing how he suceeded in fooling himself,d truth is i could hardly fiogure out which motion he was even oposing....#orijin in action..
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by sunkz: 5:39pm On May 16, 2015
A convincing one from IBADAN POLY....cudn't figure out LASU's directions as his points were not clear.

9c one frm both camps

2 Likes

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Crispels(m): 5:39pm On May 16, 2015
Greatest LASUITES!!!

Ever konigbagbakugba,LASUITES!!!

#TeamLASU.
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Dannyswit(m): 5:48pm On May 16, 2015
;DI believe in what the LASU contestant said and I agree wit him, bt Bro it take a high level of understanding to concur wit ur writings, tink you shld rephrase ur grammar. All the same EXCELLENT!
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Sirme411(m): 5:52pm On May 16, 2015
Is This Guy 4rm Lasu.....Opposing or
supposing The Motion...... Of The Grtest Polite......#TeamPolyIB#TeamSammyscholar

1 Like

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by omokab: 5:54pm On May 16, 2015
To my own opinion,I'm giving it to the student of Ibadan polytechnic because he was able to give us the reason of why abortion should be of personal interest or decision for a woman.But LASU writer focus more on what he get from the internet.Also I will like to say here that,to certain level with a cogent reason abortion should be legalized.What will be the benefit of a child a mother will see and will not happy.If you check one of my comment on this topic when the issue of women pregnant for boko haram happened I gave an example of a child that was born of this nature but later make it in life.That does not mean I supported the idea of not legalized abortion.How many of this type of child were successful? Many will carry the child in her womb for nine month and later dump the child on the street or dustbin after birth.I met a lady in abakaliki sometimes ago,she conceived for a copper serving in her community but the guy left her after passing out. since then she can't locate where about of the guy.The lady delivered the baby but later died because she can't provide needs for the child.Infact the girl dropped out of the school while she was in SS 2.There are so many cases like this that must be put into consideration.If legalized the death rate will be drastically reduced.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by adeniyi00(m): 5:56pm On May 16, 2015
I think Ibadan poly debater was more convincing, lasu debater wasted a lot of time or lemme say sentence on things that are irrelevant to d debate, he ended up confusing me. my opinion

5 Likes

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Joettti: 6:00pm On May 16, 2015
[b][/b]I think say nah only me notice am....the guy only succeeded in confusing, rather than convincing

Just passing sha but  =))˚°◦ see as laff <//>. won . comot my
_\\_ waist
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Fynestboi: 6:01pm On May 16, 2015
keep them coming....
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Wealthyone: 6:03pm On May 16, 2015
Despite the fact that I will never abort a pregnancy or support it, I believe ibadan poly is still convincing with points.

Though, he made errors by spelling Rid as Ride , yet, his article is concise despite few references.

LASU, I support ur notion and u started well by defining what abortion is but the write up didn't lipsrsealed lipsrsealed [s]I'm already writing too much when I'm not one of the judges[/s]

1 Like

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by prestige2013: 6:04pm On May 16, 2015
Team Poly Ibadan was direct and his points clearly stated while Team Lasu was not coherent thereby confusing.

Team Poly Ibadan-----have it.

Prestige

1 Like

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by papindinho(m): 6:06pm On May 16, 2015
Crispels:

GREATEST LASUITES bro..
What department and level??
FYNESBOI=OAU
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Fynestboi: 6:07pm On May 16, 2015
Wealthyone:
[s]I'm already writing too much when I'm not one of the judges[/s]

continue wink wink

1 Like

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by kennysbst(m): 6:07pm On May 16, 2015
Go!go!go! The only school with article THE! IREP THE POLYTECHNIC IBADAN. Bck to studying,exam period in progress.
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by papindinho(m): 6:09pm On May 16, 2015
My alma mater, The Polytechnic, Ibadan did well in how the points were relayed albeit much emphasis wasn't laid on birth-control which is the main essence of legalising abortion. Kudos to you though.

@IamDejman: Now we are going the lawyer way....lol. Nice one though.
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by culcid(m): 6:10pm On May 16, 2015
The longer we delay legalising abortion in Nigeria the more damned we are as a country. Go to villages like Ugep in Cross River state and count the number of maternal mortality as a result of illegal abortions perpetrated by quack PPMVs and other medical practitioners.

Come to think of it, do you know the number of potential babies the Vaseline crew waste on daily bases, you might argue that it takes divine hand for fertilization to occur, good, but how sure are you that there wouldn't have been a fertilization if you didn't waste it.

I give it to the Poly students, not because of my stand oh, can count about 4 points raised by them, succinct and concise.
For the LASU flag bearers, just a point, with big big English.

Kudos to you all

2 Likes

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Wealthyone: 6:12pm On May 16, 2015
Fynestboi:

continue wink wink

Lol....enoff said grin grin cheesy make I no spoil market for sumbori pardon my pidgin
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Fynestboi: 6:16pm On May 16, 2015
Wealthyone:

Lol....enoff said grin grin cheesy make I no spoil market for sumbori pardon my pidgin

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 16, 2015
Ibadan poly guy gat it more in pockets than the guy from LASU who only copied on the internet and later pasted for a little edit.Very confusing one from him(LASUite)..Se bi na LASU students!!!Wetin dem sabiOSU students(OOUites)even beta pass them...I have my points
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Hidentity(m): 6:44pm On May 16, 2015
ON THE REPRESENTATIVE FROM THE POLYTECHNIC OF IBADAN

First, I think that all those creating a line of divide between universities and polytechnics should learn here. This presentation is amazing, though, not without some errors. After all, no man is perfect.

Although, the presenter made a few spelling errors like writing 'as' for 'has', but they are mere technicalities, though not negligible, but do not go to the root of the topic. Parents should also be in the plural in the context used and not singular. Rid and not ride. Also 'abortion is not murder or abortion is no murder,' not 'abortion is not a murder.'

All these observed, I hold that after considering all the debate threads, the POLYTECHNIC OF IBADAN is among the very few that discussed the issue to the satisfaction of readers. Facts, deft analysis, apt rhetorics and careful word choice.

On this, the era of thinking that the polytechnic is inferior to the university should be made to lie and well buried. It is not about where you are, but what you are doing there. Sleeping in the garage does not make anyone a car. You can be in the university and still lack the oratory erudition of this presenter. Well done my friend. I will come up with my scores later in the night.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Lincoln275(m): 6:45pm On May 16, 2015
ibadan poly is on point
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Miner13: 6:54pm On May 16, 2015
luthorcorp:
my opinion,i think this dude is insane...period!

Nothing could be more insane than calling a fellow human being like yourself insane

Bros try and employ word taming cox on a faceless forum like this. You might just be insulting your p.man unknowingly.

My comment on the lasu's representative

Good work
Your presentation shows more research work on the topic but less self effort at explaining the content to thoroughly convinced your reader that you actually understand the topic.
You only centered on the moral and right to existence of the unborn child.

Work well done
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by luthorcorp: 7:02pm On May 16, 2015
Miner13:

Nothing could be more insane than calling a fellow human being like yourself insane

Bros try and employ word taming cox on a faceless forum like this. You might just be insulting your p.man unknowingly.

My comment on the lasu's representative

Good work
Your presentation shows more research work on the topic but less self effort at explaining the content to thoroughly convinced your reader that you actually understand the topic.
You only centered on the moral and right to existence of the unborn child.

Work well done
hehehehe,where the hell is nairaland finding these ppl,lmao, hope u r not a lasuite too,coz if u are then that skool is as good as dead.....,see grammar gosh
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by jimmy101231(m): 7:05pm On May 16, 2015
Why is it Lasu and polyibadan...why not polyibadan and Offa poly and lasu vs lautech
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Bplati: 7:07pm On May 16, 2015
I agree with you. Also it's "wandering about and not wondering about

Wealthyone:
Despite the fact that I will never abort a pregnancy or support it, I believe ibadan poly is still convincing with points.
Though, he made errors by spelling Rid as Ride , yet, his article is concise despite few references.
LASU, I support ur notion and u started well by defining what abortion is but the write up didn't lipsrsealed lipsrsealed [s]I'm already writing too much when I'm not one of the judges[/s]
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Hidentity(m): 7:08pm On May 16, 2015
ON THE PRESENTER FROM LASU

In the midst of the dwindling urge for intellectual food have we seen this robust and well researched work. I cannot but credit. However, you were so engrossed in making this work academic that you forgot that too much of it do not hold water here. Touches of oratory lines and analogy would have done. I have no doubt that most people have reservations on that ground.

Also, except on a careful perusal, you went all preaching morality. My question and point of response if I were your opponent is- the definition of morality is subjective. So dynamic that if 3 people are slapped, the reaction based on their moral inclination would differ. So, is it more moral to keep a child of rape than to abort it?

In addition, an average reader may not be too sure of your stand. However, you did a great job and displayed the required knowledge of the topic. I say well done. I met LASU students in a couple of debates back then- they were blazing fire with the microphone and this further reveals that they are good on every platform. Score would be made known at night.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by sammyscholar(m): 7:13pm On May 16, 2015
jimmy101231:
Why is it Lasu and polyibadan...why not polyibadan and Offa poly and lasu vs lautech
and what is this suppose to mean oga?
Re: LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY by Fynestboi: 7:15pm On May 16, 2015
sammyscholar:
and what is this suppose to mean oga?

ignore that bro... wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OAU students flee hostels over cultists threat / OAU: Students Prepare For Rain Semester Examinations In Total Darkness / Edo University Commissions First Anatomage Table In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.