Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Igbo Writing - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Writing (35859 Views)

Other Pre-colonial Igbo Writing Systems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 18, 2015
Wowowow!!

Does this imply that my own Igbo language that I scored As in both junior and senior WAEC is now in chinese?

Please @Op, how do I benefit?

I must prove this my As
Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 18, 2015
Its time for Our cultural revival. Some of the colonial Antics we adopted with the arrival of the white man destroyed our rich culture. My Children must learn Igbo and Nsibidi writing.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 18, 2015
[img]http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/inscribing/images/30-Ukara-clothLG.jpg[/img]

"Westernisation is not modernisation
Liberalisation is not westernisation"

Nsibidi has been here for ages. The important thing is reviving it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Writing by Teespice(f): 3:41pm On May 18, 2015
is this igbo symbols or chinese?
Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 18, 2015
Teespice:

The same computer or phone you used to type this question can also be used to answer your question.
Re: Igbo Writing by ChukwuCantDie: 3:49pm On May 18, 2015
Teespice:
You dont know how to read? It is an ancient Igbo writing system called Nsibidi from many hundreds of years ago. Some of you people are idiots.

Nsibidi and Akagu should be made a part of the school curriculum in Igboland, there is no excuse not to.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 3:58pm On May 18, 2015

Mbe in Akagu
Re: Igbo Writing by mmsen: 4:02pm On May 18, 2015
That's a good looking script.
Re: Igbo Writing by nickyvil: 4:02pm On May 18, 2015
Rushed in.... Rushed out .... lipsrsealed
Re: Igbo Writing by ewizard1: 4:04pm On May 18, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:
You dont know how to read? It is an ancient Igbo writing system called Nsibidi from many hundreds of years ago. Some of you people are idiots.

Nsibidi and Akagu should be made a part of the school curriculum in Igboland, there is no excuse not to.

And you think calling her id!ot would make her learn the writing faster?

#smh angry
Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 18, 2015
[size=13pt]Naìjíríyà[/size]
ChinenyeN do you want togive this a try in Akagu?
Re: Igbo Writing by Teespice(f): 4:17pm On May 18, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:

don't call me an idiot.

I am igbo and I haven't come across such symbols before.

I asked a genuine question and dolts like you can't even give a simple answer then I don't know what else to do.

if you can't answer the least you can do is to ignore rather than display a high level of idiocy.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by Teespice(f): 4:19pm On May 18, 2015
ewizard1:

And you think calling her id!ot would make her learn the writing faster?
#smh angry
don't mind the fool
some of us are so good in criticising rather than helping when asked.
Re: Igbo Writing by Teespice(f): 4:21pm On May 18, 2015
NAIJASOM:

The same computer or phone you used to type this question can also be used to answer your question.

spinless id!ot

if you can't see beyond the fact that I asked a question based on the fact that I don't know and need clarification, then swerve the hell off my post.

tufiaaa ihe ojooo di ka gi.
Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 18, 2015
Teespice:

spinless id!ot

if you can't see beyond the fact that I asked a question based on the fact that I don't know and need clarification, then swerve the hell off my post.

tufiaaa ihe ojooo di ka gi.

My sincere apologies. Nne biko gbahalu. I mistook you for one of those people lurking around these types of topics to attack Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 4:46pm On May 18, 2015
AfricanGod2:

As is found in this list. Got it. Three more questions:
a) How are Igbo affixes identified
b) Are all affixes written with Akagu (what are the rules?....in simple English Mr Genius smiley)
c) from the broken down Chiemeka, it seems to mean: A spirit (God) will do greater things. Is this correct?

[img]http://2.bp..com/-IutX8lq5sOM/UtxpPBxFD3I/AAAAAAAABL4/oUhKdqvUE_Q/s1600/Aha+Igbo.png[/img]

The prefix should be obvious from the akagu, you may wonder what happens when there are multiple akagu in a sequence and how a reader would able to tell the difference between the words, well, first of all that's why I've eliminated the need for double letters to symbolise long vowels or sounds (like in onwu, the current Latin orthography for Igbo, 'nn' and 'mm' are for long sounds, but in akagu there are separate symbols for that as well as the long vowel diacritics, the two bars at the top of some vowels). The affixes modify a verb root, so because every writing system will have to require a little bit of prior knowledge and experience, the reader can identify this because it will look like a strange verb in the middle of a sentence, of course this is if they are ever confused, which I don't think they will with experience.

Haha, yes all the affixes are in akagu. I initially tried to make some affixes from nsibiri (like I formed new characters from old ones) in order to keep the system as 'original' as possible, but it came to a point where I was making new affixes every time I wrote something. If you think of any consonant-vowel syllable it probably exists in Igbo and in 3 different tones or more! So that was scraped because it was both exhausting to learn, and exhausting to make.

Yes, roughly. In Igbo two combined verbs sometimes take on slightly different meanings of course because it's a new word, the ká (greater than) is usually added after a verb to denote excess, so Chiemeka is 'God has done so much [good]'. Some might argue that the ká is actually the other meaning 'a continuation', so 'God continue to do [good] for us], but we can deal with all that later.

On that note, I should also point out that I've expanded some verbs in a way since some had different contextual meanings, so the differentiation of ká (greater than) and ká (continuation, perseverance) could just be my doing.
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 4:48pm On May 18, 2015
AgricSalt:
Wowowow!!

Does this imply that my own Igbo language that I scored As in both junior and senior WAEC is now in chinese?

Please @Op, how do I benefit?

I must prove this my As

LOL.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by Richiez(m): 4:48pm On May 18, 2015
Extremely interesting
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 4:51pm On May 18, 2015
Teespice:

They are nsibidi symbols that were invented probably by the Ekoi people in the Cross River Cameroon border before 1500s, e.g. before Europeans, and then it spread out to other communities in the area including Igbo.

It's not Chinese, but the fact that you thought it looks like Chinese is not completely in error since both of the writing systems were initially drawn pictures which were then given names and then people started to adopt the pictures as words and the rest is literally (or literary cool) history.

See this image:
http://i1.w.hjfile.cn/doc/201202/chinese_scrips21286.gif

This is an image of people from Arondizuogu in a burial in 1988 with nsibidi on their bodies and cloth (ukara/okara ekpe).

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/113701341972/procession-of-leopard-society-members-during-the

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Writing by musicwriter(m): 5:04pm On May 18, 2015
Good thread!. This's exactly what Africans need to get doing. To create our own education knowledge base.

Does anybody know where I can buy Nigeria indigenous language keyboards?. Igbo, Efik, Yoruba, Hausa, e.tc. Anybody with an idea?
Re: Igbo Writing by odensibiri: 5:10pm On May 18, 2015
By the way, I've figure out a short cut to write nsibiri in the font face, but it's going to take a while to make.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by PreciousBro: 5:22pm On May 18, 2015
Wow!! shocked

I like this. I've always known about the Nsibidi Style and symbols. Akagu seem new to me and even simpler.

Nice one Nwanne cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by PreciousBro: 5:24pm On May 18, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:

gringringrin kai!! Nna, please that wasn't necessary na lol
Re: Igbo Writing by kingston277(m): 5:39pm On May 18, 2015
timpaker:
All I see is Chinese angry
All I see is someone who has never picked up a history book since primary school.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by kingston277(m): 5:47pm On May 18, 2015
bushdoc9919:

It is not Chinese....it isn't even similar to Chinese Script..

Be happy that at least one Nigerian tribe is developing its indigenous writing system...and modernizing it...the same way the Japanese did it decades ago.

And Nsidibi existed long before the colonial period.

The southeast isn't the only part of Nigeria or Africa for that matter with its own indigenous writing system. https://www.nairaland.com/189030/african-script
Re: Igbo Writing by Teespice(f): 5:47pm On May 18, 2015
odensibiri:

They are nsibidi symbols that were invented probably by the Ekoi people in the Cross River Cameroon border before 1500s, e.g. before Europeans, and then it spread out to other communities in the area including Igbo.

It's not Chinese, but the fact that you thought it looks like Chinese is not completely in error since both of the writing systems were initially drawn pictures which were then given names and then people started to adopt the pictures as words and the rest is literally (or literary cool) history.

See this image:
http://i1.w.hjfile.cn/doc/201202/chinese_scrips21286.gif

This is an image of people from Arondizuogu in a burial in 1988 with nsibidi on their bodies and cloth (ukara/okara ekpe).

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/113701341972/procession-of-leopard-society-members-during-the

thanks so much.

would go through the links you provided.
Re: Igbo Writing by Teespice(f): 5:49pm On May 18, 2015
NAIJASOM:

My sincere apologies. Nne biko gbahalu. I mistook you for one of those people lurking around these types of topics to attack Igbos.

apology accepted.

we cool Bro. no hard feelings.
Re: Igbo Writing by teufelein(f): 5:53pm On May 18, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:

once we restore Biafra in igbo area of Biafra nsibidi is a compulsory subject in all schools. it's one of the plans and is alright in the biafran blueprint;
Re: Igbo Writing by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 18, 2015
timilehing:
Nna ehn, hapu that thing biko. The normal Asusu-Igbo self osirike to write not to talk of nka.

Stunner1:
As in ehnnn very strong

Maybe it's so difficult because it doesn't fit the language?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Writing by revlution: 7:32pm On May 18, 2015
Thanks for the information , we need more of this in nairaland.
Noted.
Re: Igbo Writing by aphildam(m): 7:59pm On May 18, 2015
oh chinese seems good
Re: Igbo Writing by MightySparrow: 8:14pm On May 18, 2015
embarassed
odensibiri:
Akagu is now in type.

This people write like Chinese or Korean or.......
why are they claiming to be Jews? cry
odensibiri:
Akagu is now in type.

This people write like Chinese or Korean or.......
why are they claiming to be Jews?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Celebrates His Daughter, Maryam On Her Birthday (Photos) / Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Wears Igwe Attire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.