Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,520 members, 7,801,399 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

IGBO Name For My Daughter - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / IGBO Name For My Daughter (17813 Views)

White Lady Who Pretended To Be Black Gives Herself Igbo Name / Identity 2016: Why I Stopped Mispronouncing My Igbo Name / Critical - Need Info On Igbo Name: Arianna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by iamodenigbo1(m): 12:40pm On May 17, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Thanks. No, I'm not from Delta. I am Ngwa, from Abia. The names I posted are Ngwa names (though there are a few that may be shared with neighboring, non-Ngwa communities).

Ochi lei. Believe it. My mind is a trove of very unique, and maybe ancient (and now forgotten) Ngwa names. If ever I am to have offspring of my own, then I have got plenty of Ngwa names to choose from that will cater to a variety of contexts (I will not pick a name for any of my offspring until after they are born. I want to name them based entirely on the context that surrounds their birth).

So, then you know that my list is full of legitimate names to choose from. And it looks like your grandmother got her wish after naming the Ada 'Olenjuru'. grin Where is your grandmother from? Which community, if you don't mind my asking?
umuda ofeme,umuahia north LGA,yes she did,afterward she gave birth to a twin mum and a boy and another two boys
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by ChinenyeN(m): 12:45pm On May 17, 2015
iamodenigbo1:
umuda ofeme,umuahia north LGA,yes she did,afterward she gave birth to a twin mum and a boy and another two boys

Ah, okay. That would make sense. Thanks. Anyway lucky her. She was fortunate enough to get her wish.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by iamodenigbo1(m): 12:47pm On May 17, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Ah, okay. That would make sense. Thanks.
yea it does
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by tandj: 12:57pm On May 17, 2015
Good thread.

Abeg, suggestion on a male igbo names without the chi in it.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:08pm On May 17, 2015
tandj:
Good thread.

Abeg, suggestion on a male igbo names without the chi in it.

Open a different thread.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by iamodenigbo1(m): 1:09pm On May 17, 2015
keep it coming namesake I see u
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 1:35pm On May 17, 2015
write2obi:

That's lovely smiley
Chi-gi-oke
God-holds-share(blessing,Destiny)

wink
Yup...
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 3:15pm On May 17, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
Why do people have this notion that Mgbeke is a bad name when it means a baby girl born on Eke market day. Likewise Mgbafor,Mgborie and Mgbonkwo,pls let's change that mindset.
Help me tell them grin
AmiLaHoit wants to send me to the hangman. Because i suggested those lovely igbo names to the Op grin
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by AmiLaHoit(f): 3:28pm On May 17, 2015
[quote author=write2obi post=33826191]
Help me tell them grin
AmiLaHoit wants to send me to the hangman. Because i suggested those lovely igbo names to the Op grin[/quote

Obi biko hapum aka.
Laugh wan kii' me... grin
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 3:36pm On May 17, 2015
AmiLaHoit:
Obi biko hapum aka.
Laugh wan kii' me... grin
Ejirokwam gi aka wink
Give us more names jor
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by AmiLaHoit(f): 3:40pm On May 17, 2015
write2obi:

Ejirokwam gi aka wink
Give us more names jor

I don't have more o o. Those names are kept for my daughter(s)
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 6:28pm On May 17, 2015
AmiLaHoit:

I don't have more o o. Those names are kept for my daughter(s)
shocked shocked shocked you mean you are going to have six daughters shocked shocked shocked
I think i've found a wife kiss kiss
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by AmiLaHoit(f): 7:44pm On May 17, 2015
write2obi:

shocked shocked shocked you mean you are going to have six daughters shocked shocked shocked
I think i've found a wife kiss kiss

So so LMAO...
My friend relax, which wife u find? I may require one more daughter and I intend to give her one of those names.
#sorry nwanne, I am taken tongue

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 9:03pm On May 17, 2015
AmiLaHoit:

So so LMAO...
My friend relax, which wife u find? I may require one more daughter and I intend to give her one of those names.
#sorry nwanne, I am taken tongue
Your next child is going to be a boy tongue
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by AmiLaHoit(f): 9:18am On May 18, 2015
write2obi:

Your next child is going to be a boy tongue

AMEN my brother!!
And please do not unplug people's charger to charge ur 95% battery again. That is called ''obi akpo''.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 19, 2015
Akwaugo.
Ekeoma.
Ezinma.
Ijeoma.
Ihuoma.
Ijeaku.
Akunne.
Akurulo.
Obiageri.
Olanna.
Olaedo.
Oriaku.
Udoka.

Nwanneka.
Adaora.
Adaeze.
Adanma.
Nwakaego.
Ozioma.
Obioma.
Ozoemena.

Check out these beautiful Igbo female names. Although the first is my mums name.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 12:10am On May 20, 2015
Chiwude:
Akwaugo.
Ekeoma.
Ezinma.
Ijeoma.
Ihuoma.
Ijeaku.
Akunne.
Akurulo.
Obiageri.
Olanna.
Olaedo.
Oriaku.
Udoka.

Nwanneka.
Adaora.
Adaeze.
Adanma.
Nwakaego.
Ozioma.
Obioma.
Ozoemena.

Check out these beautiful Igbo female names. Although the first is my mums name.

Ozoemena and Obioma are more of masculine names.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by somegirl1: 12:34am On May 20, 2015
Njideka
Adaugo
Olaedo
Amuche
Amobi
Amoge
Efuru
Ojiugo
Ugoeze
Nwa-amaka
Uzoamaka
Ozinna
Uloaku
Acharaugo
Akwugo
Urenna
Adaora/ Adaoha
Adaobi
Ekwefi
Adanna
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by ChinenyeN(m): 12:56am On May 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

In which communities is it more masculine? I know plenty of females who bear Obioma from Ngwa and surrounding areas.

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 12:46pm On May 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Obioma is actually more feminine.

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 12:51pm On May 20, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
Why do people have this notion that Mgbeke is a bad name when it means a baby girl born on Eke market day. Likewise Mgbafor,Mgborie and Mgbonkwo,pls let's change that mindset.
Mgbeke is an authentic igbo name. I believe th corrupted meaning of mgbeke is a recent phenomenon sha.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 12:54pm On May 20, 2015
ChinenyeN:

Unighini/Uniini - sweetness
Mmimi - hard to explain
Ovo - a dove-like bird.
Wheoma - good thing
Nnebuwhe - mother is supreme
Olomaruwa - returned well to the world (reincarnation name)
Kpakpando - star
Nyenna - father's wife (an exclamation of the attachment a father feels with his daughter)
Ndudi - there is life
Ngwahu - [beautiful] garment/adornment
Nmesa (Nmesaihu) - brings a smile to one's face
Olenjuru (Olenjurulo) - can I ever have enough of you to fill my home?
Whedacho - what we have been searching for
Mgbudo - born in a time of peace/tranquility
Odo - charity
Oyoyo - beauty/perfection
Olujie - so beautiful that she will always catch the gaze of people
Ocham - has come to brighten up my countenance
Ndem - exemplifying the beauty of women
Adibe - child of my youth

I can certainly go on...
Also, clearly these names aren't Izugbe (as there is no such thing as Izugbe names), but my point remains made.
Kpakpando and Oyooyo are also Owerri names.
Ndem seems to be an Efik/Ibibio name which stands for beauty.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:31pm On May 20, 2015
Wao swt names,brb
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 3:29pm On May 20, 2015
ChinenyeN:

In which communities is it more masculine? I know plenty of females who bear Obioma from Ngwa and surrounding areas.

Growing up in Owerri, it was mostly males that I knew that bore Obioma. One of my childhood friends who is a guy bears Obioma as name. He is from Mbieri, Imo state.

One thing I've noticed is that names in southern Igboland tend to be more unisex, where you can find females bearing Ifeanyi etc and males bearing Ebere.

In northern Igboland where I come from, communities tend to adhere to gender naming restrictions strictly. Growing up as a child, I had always known 'Ebele' to be a feminine name, because barely did I meet any male bearing 'Ebele' until I came across Ebere-bearing names by boys in Owerri. Lol.

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 3:37pm On May 20, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Obioma is actually more feminine.

I know a few boys that bear Obioma. I guess naming conventions in southern Igboland tend to be unisex.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 3:52pm On May 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I know a few boys that bear Obioma. I guess naming conventions in southern Igboland tend to be unisex.
u are right,i know some boys named onyinye,ngozi,ebube etc those names are unisex
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Obioma is more of a unisex name in Igboland, but the number of females bearing the name far outweigh that of the males. The same goes for Ozoemena a name bore by both males and females but conspicuously male dominated.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Growing up in Owerri, it was mostly males that I knew that bore Obioma. One of my childhood friends who is a guy bears Obioma as name. He is from Mbieri, Imo state.

One thing I've noticed is that names in southern Igboland tend to be more unisex, where you can find females bearing Ifeanyi etc and males bearing Ebere.

In northern Igboland where I come from, communities tend to adhere to gender naming restrictions strictly. Growing up as a child, I had always known 'Ebele' to be a feminine name, because barely did I meet any male bearing 'Ebele' until I came across Ebere-bearing names by boys in Owerri. Lol.
I am inclined to think that Ebere is not strictly a female name. Males are also called by such name in both the northern and southern parts of Igboland. The difference however, is in the suffix that ends the name. In males, Ebere is added 'Chukwu' while the feminine version ends with 'Chi'. The same goes for Amara a unisex name, which transforms to 'Amarachukwu' for males and 'Amarachi' for females.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 5:48pm On May 20, 2015
Chiwude:
I am inclined to think that Ebere is not strictly a female name. Males are also called by such name in both the northern and southern parts of Igboland. The difference however, is in the suffix that ends the name. In males, Ebere is added 'Chukwu' while the feminine version ends with 'Chi'. The same goes for Amara a unisex name, which transforms to 'Amarachukwu' for males and 'Amarachi' for females.

@bold...personally I am yet to see one myself. You would have to show me an example of an Ebere-bearing male from Northern Igboland, especially Anambra, Enugu and Anioma areas.

When you mention Igboland, you need to be specific where, because not everything applies exactly in all areas. In the sense of unisex Igbo names, the phenomenon is more common in the south than north, and it would be incorrect to refer to all of Igboland when commenting on the phenomenon when it is actually more common in the south than north. Take Nsibidi, for example. It has often been referred to as 'Igbo writing', however when we speak in specific terms, it is southern Igboland that is historically known to write in Nsibidi, not Northern Igboland (to the best of my knowledge).

Growing up, I had female cousins and aunts on both sides of my family who bear 'Ebele'/'Ebere', and its feminine pattern of naming was strictly so to me until our owerri neighbour had a son and named him 'Ebere'. Even my mom, who spent most of her life in Enugu, Old Anambra state, was very surprised, how much more me. This is because 'Ebere' as a male name is quite rare in Northern Igboland. Other strictly female names as observed in Northern Igboland borne by males in the south are Amarachi, Ngozi etc. Hardly would you see Anambra males bearing 'Ebere', 'Ngozi' etc.

In northern Igboland, Ozoemena would be a masculine name. Also, 'Gozie'/'Chigozie'/'Chukwugozie' would be the masculine version of 'Ngozichukwu' borne by males while 'Ngozi' remains the female version borne by females. Gender naming pattern is strictly kept.

However, a few names in Igboland are unisex in both north and south regions.

This is just my observation. North seems to stick to gender-based naming norms, while in the south gender-naming conventions tend to be fluid. It is all part of the diversity of Igboland. Only that an Igbo, who spent most of his life in Northern Igboland and grew up accustomed to gender-based names, who moves down south and encounters males bearing otherwise female names and females bearing otherwise male names will find it strange.

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 6:01pm On May 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yeah,Obioma is unisex but tends to be more feminine.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 6:02pm On May 20, 2015
Chiwude:
Obioma is more of a unisex name in Igboland, but the number of females bearing the name far outweigh that of the males. The same goes for Ozoemena a name bore by both males and females but conspicuously male dominated.

More specifically, Obioma is unisex in southern Igboland.

In northern Igboland, Obioma is strictly masculine.

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 6:10pm On May 20, 2015
Chiwude:
Akwaugo.
Ekeoma.

Ezinma.
Ijeoma.
Ihuoma.
Ijeaku.
Akunne.
Akurulo.
Obiageri.
Olanna.
Olaedo.
Oriaku.
Udoka.

Nwanneka.
Adaora.
Adaeze.
Adanma.
Nwakaego.
Ozioma.
Obioma.
Ozoemena.

All the names in bold aren't strictly feminine. I would say Unisex. The rest are strictly feminine. My high school classmate (I went to an all-boys secondary school) is Akwaugo by name. Another childhood friend of mine's name was Ekeoma, a male. All from Imo state too. Meanwhile, you thought these names are equally feminine as well. It just goes a long way to show that naming conventions are more fluid/flexible in the southern area than north.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues / The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: / Kini Oriki Abeke? What Is Abeke Praise Song/poetry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.