Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,334 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

IGBO Name For My Daughter - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / IGBO Name For My Daughter (17818 Views)

White Lady Who Pretended To Be Black Gives Herself Igbo Name / Identity 2016: Why I Stopped Mispronouncing My Igbo Name / Critical - Need Info On Igbo Name: Arianna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 11:18pm On May 21, 2015
PreciousBro:
I was alluding to the name "Chinkata". ,it is past now, Chinenye already cleared me on it. Thanks
Alright. I just felt that, strange is a wrong word for names like that. They are not mainstream igbo names.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by ChinenyeN(m): 4:12am On May 22, 2015
PreciousBro:
Are you conversant with the name being an Ngwa lady ?

I'm male, and yes, I'm familiar with the name. It is actually one of only three Chi-names that I find allowable for my offspring to bear (if ever I am to have any).

-----------------

Radoillo, from what I know, the name was/is definitely answered by some Ngwa people, but it is borrowed. From the early 18th century up to the turn of the 20th century, Ngwa and Bonny had very active trade relations. Ubani traders often established 'beach settlements' (locally called 'Onumirni') near commercially active communities where they could serve as middlemen (and as transportation to and from Bonny and Igwenga).

The settlements were of course named after the Ubani traders that headed them. 'Gogo' was the name of one of the settlements near Aba (and I'm willing to bet that you probably could have found other such 'Gogo' at various other Onumirni near other markets in the Ngwa-Ndoki axis). The name simply spread from there. I don't know the meaning. In which article did you come across the name?
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 6:02am On May 22, 2015
Nneka.

2 Likes

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 6:03am On May 22, 2015
Adamma
Chimamanda
Ifeyinwa

2 Likes

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 6:03am On May 22, 2015
Oyinye.

2 Likes

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 7:11am On May 22, 2015
fightforchange1:
Oyinye.
there is chi in onyinye
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Nobody: 7:23am On May 22, 2015
ChinenyeN:

I'm male, and yes, I'm familiar with the name. It is actually one of only three Chi-names that I find allowable for my offspring to bear (if ever I am to have any).

-----------------

Radoillo, from what I know, the name was/is definitely answered by some Ngwa people, but it is borrowed. From the early 18th century up to the turn of the 20th century, Ngwa and Bonny had very active trade relations. Ubani traders often established 'beach settlements' (locally called 'Onumirni') near commercially active communities where they could serve as middlemen (and as transportation to and from Bonny and Igwenga).

The settlements were of course named after the Ubani traders that headed them. 'Gogo' was the name of one of the settlements near Aba (and I'm willing to bet that you probably could have found other such 'Gogo' at various other Onumirni near other markets in the Ngwa-Ndoki axis). The name simply spread from there. I don't know the meaning. In which article did you come across the name?

Came across it in Oriji's paper. 'A Study of the Slave and Palm Produce Trade amongst the Ngwa-Igbo of Southeastern Nigeria'. The name 'Kanu Gogo of Ngwaukwu' appears in some of the footnotes.

Later, using Google, I found quite a number of people with clearly Igbo first names who had 'Gogo' as a last name. I assumed they too were Ngwa.

There was, however, one Gogo Chu Nzeribe from the Oguta area - another area that saw active commercial dealings with, as well as settlements of, Ijaw-speaking people.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by PreciousBro: 11:51am On May 22, 2015
ChinenyeN:

shocked Eyaah, Please Pardon Me For Thinking You're Female.

I guess the name "Chinenye is another Feminine Dominated name to the point I had to damn the gender on your moniker.

When I said strange as regards to the name "Chinkata", it isn't in a bad way, just that I'm not familiar with it. Obviously some names that aren't mainstream igbo names are ,to me, very unique with deep meaning, for instance now, I have a very unique surname that isn't very known in igbo land except my villa and you can count the number of people that are borne by it.

A naming trend that is common in southern igboland. Yes I like that name Chinkata too smiley

I also like my native name too, not one I'm familiar with in igboland but can be easily interpreted by all igbos.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 2:01pm On May 22, 2015
mkpakanaodogwu:
there is chi in onyinye
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 22, 2015
ewe is a good name na
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by ChinenyeN(m): 7:25pm On May 22, 2015
PreciousBro, there's no need to apologize. It's perfectly understandable. Incidentally, I dislike my own name (aside from the fact that it can be rendered as 'Nenye'). I would rather have been a 'Chinkata' than a 'Chinenye'. But that's just one of the many things in life that we don't control. It's the same way that my offspring will have no control over the epic, non-Chi names that I will name them, if I ever have them.

Radoillo, I see. Yea, I remember reading it in Oriji's work a while back. The name to me is a funny reminder of a history that some peoples (they know who they are) would like to pretend almost never happened.

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 7:48pm On May 22, 2015
I respect your stand on chi names. But chi names were in use back in the days or do you have a different idea?
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 8:47pm On May 22, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
I respect your stand on chi names. But chi names were in use back in the days or do you have a different idea?
Op i think you've found your self a perfect name grin ihuomadinihu . Lovely name
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 8:58pm On May 22, 2015
Chiwude:
Maybe, I have a vague idea about the bolded names as it relates to other parts of Imo state. But in my own section of Isu/Njaba/Nwangele and nearby Orlu, those names are reserved only for females. An example is my mum who goes by the name Akwaugo.
My people in those days (even in other Igbo communities) view such names as domestic and unbefitting of a man. Male names carry with it a certain kind of force. for example, Ogbuagu, Nwanyanwu, Orji, Okorie, Iwuji etc.

Yea. We are saying the same thing - that names in the south tend to be unisex. I met a male with 'akwaugo', and you've met females with 'akwaugo', which tells us the same thing. smiley
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by bigfrancis21: 9:11pm On May 22, 2015
Radoillo:
I just have to say that Akwaugo sounds (to me) like one of the weirdest names you can give a boy. grin

Lol. I never thought of it to be feminine up till now, maybe because I first encountered it from a male.grin Back then in secondary school, my other classmates and I (with me leading the pack) would often tease him by remixing his name to names such as AkwaOgazi, AkwaUdene. grin
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by ChinenyeN(m): 9:52pm On May 22, 2015
Ihuomadinihu, I am of the belief that the current oversaturation of Chi-names is as a direct result of conversion to Christianity and over-adoption (if I can use such a term) of Biblical philosophy.

This has created a mainstream set of names and naming conventions which have so overwhelmed 'Igbo' names that it seems as though the majority of names are given out of convenience. Chi-names are, to me, convenience names and as a result, the flavor and diversity that existed only a century ago is now long dead.

I'm not saying no one should give their children Chi-names. After all, Chi-names existed precolonially. It's just that this mainstream naming trend is stifling and basically sits as a representation of the extent of cultural loss that has occurred in the Igbo ethno-linguistic region. I dislike that (to put it mildly).

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 9:56pm On May 22, 2015
Ifemelu
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 10:08pm On May 22, 2015
fightforchange1:
Ifemelu
And ifemelumma as well

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by ChinenyeN(m): 10:31pm On May 22, 2015
A few more names to add to that list for your daughter:

Nwamara
Ndidi
Nene
Alaoma (one of my personal favorites.. If ever I am to marry, it is my personal desire that my wife bear this name for a number of different reasons cheesy)
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 11:48pm On May 22, 2015
write2obi:

And ifemelumma as well
cool
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 5:37am On May 23, 2015
nkechinyere
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by PreciousBro: 7:14pm On May 23, 2015
write2obi:

And ifemelumma as well

Ifemelumma is a sweet name. Can the "f" factor be replaced with a "H' like Ihemelumma" ?
Just like "Ifeanyi and Iheanyi. Although both carrying same meaning ,just the differential tongue sound between North and southern igbo pronunciation.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 7:23pm On May 23, 2015
PreciousBro:

Ifemelumma is a sweet name. Can the "f" factor be replaced with a "H' like Ihemelumma" ?

Just like "Ifeanyi and Iheanyi.
Yea ofcos, it just depends on the part you are from, I mean do you people say ihe or ife ? It's just a pronunciation thing.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by PreciousBro: 7:28pm On May 23, 2015
write2obi:

Yea ofcos, it just depends on the part you are from, I mean do you people say ihe or ife ? It's just a pronunciation thing.

I thought so mehn!! smiley

I like Ihe" more, although we also say 'Ife. My guess would be "Ihe carries more masculine force while ''Ife is more feminine, if such name is unisex, then Ihemelumma should be male grin lol
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by write2obi(m): 9:48pm On May 23, 2015
PreciousBro:

I thought so mehn!! smiley

I like Ihe" more, although we also say 'Ife. My guess would be "Ihe carries more masculine force while ''Ife is more feminine, if such name is unisex, then Ihemelumma should be male grin lol
Yea, i haven't tot about that, but "ife" really sound feminine, but the ifemelumma that i know happens to be a guy, thou its more like a title name
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by iamodenigbo1(m): 10:05am On May 24, 2015
ChinenyeN:
A few more names to add to that list for your daughter:

Nwamara
Ndidi
Nene
Alaoma (one of my personal favorites.. If ever I am to marry, it is my personal desire that my wife bear this name for a number of different reasons cheesy)
Wao thank you sir,you have realy contributed a great deal to this topic,I am grateful

1 Like

Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by Ihuomadinihu: 12:59pm On May 24, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Ihuomadinihu, I am of the belief that the current oversaturation of Chi-names is as a direct result of conversion to Christianity and over-adoption (if I can use such a term) of Biblical philosophy.

This has created a mainstream set of names and naming conventions which have so overwhelmed 'Igbo' names that it seems as though the majority of names are given out of convenience. Chi-names are, to me, convenience names and as a result, the flavor and diversity that existed only a century ago is now long dead.

I'm not saying no one should give their children Chi-names. After all, Chi-names existed precolonially. It's just that this mainstream naming trend is stifling and basically sits as a representation of the extent of cultural loss that has occurred in the Igbo ethno-linguistic region. I dislike that (to put it mildly).
Yeah,i just wanted to confirm that Chi names existed before Christianity,i 've had a few arguments on that subject. I already have two Chi names,as you can see,you are not the only one bothered about it. Lol.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 1:38am On May 27, 2015
Chiemeka
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 1:38am On May 27, 2015
Adamma
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 3:57am On May 27, 2015
Ifunanya
Ifumnanya
Ifekefuma
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by fightforchange1(f): 3:58am On May 27, 2015
Akaka.
Re: IGBO Name For My Daughter by iamodenigbo1(m): 8:36am On May 27, 2015
fightforchange1:
Ifunanya Ifumnanya Ifekefuma
ifekefuma?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kini Oriki Abeke? What Is Abeke Praise Song/poetry / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.