Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) (1498 Views)

10 Toughest/Hardest Video Games Boss Of All Time / Who Will Teach Me How To Play The Game Of Chess / How Can I Buy Packs In Game Of War In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by skillsbaba(m): 3:24pm On May 16, 2015
MAN HUNT 2
I guess I'm a sucker for gore and this game is gore personified. I learnt that the game was banned in several countries, and implicated in a murder by the UK media, although this implication was later rejected by the police and courts. This didn't stop me from playing it on my PC and later on the PSP over and over again.

The controversy surrounding the game stems primarily from the graphic manner in which the player executes enemies. In 2007, former Rockstar employee Jeff Williams revealed that even the game's staff were somewhat uncomfortable about the level of violence; "there was almost a mutiny at the company over that game."] Williams explained that the game "just made us all feel icky. It was all about the violence, and it was realistic violence. We all knew there was no way we could explain away that game. There was no way to rationalize it. We were crossing a line."

The violence in the game drew the attention of U.S. Representative Joe Baca, who was the sponsor of a legislation to fine those who sell adult-themed games to players younger than 17. Baca said of Manhunt, "it's telling kids how to kill someone, and it uses vicious, sadistic and cruel methods to kill." The media was also drawn into the debate. For example, The Globe and Mail wrote "Manhunt is a venal disconnect for the genre. There's no challenge, just assembly-line, ritualistic slaughter. It's less a video game and more a weapon of personal destruction. This is about stacking bodies. Perhaps the scariest fact of all: Manhunt is so user-friendly that any sharp 12-year-old could navigate through the entire game in one sitting."

Toronto Star writer Ben Rayner, however, praised the relevance of the game, defending its violence and graphic nature as very much a product of its time, and condemning calls to have it banned;

New Zealand, the game was banned on December 11, 2003, with possession deemed an offence. Bill Hastings, the Chief Censor, stated "it's a game where the only thing you do is kill everybody you see [...] You have to at least acquiesce in these murders and possibly tolerate, or even move towards enjoying them, which is injurious to the public good."

In Canada, following a meeting in Toronto on December 22, 2003 between Hastings and officials from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Business Services, Manhunt became the first computer game in Ontario to be classified as a film and was restricted to adults on February 3, 2004. Apart from Ontario, however, Manhunt had little or no classification problems elsewhere in North America. The British Columbia Film Classification Office reviewed the game after the controversy in Ontario and deemed the Mature rating by the ESRB to be appropriate.

In Germany, the Amtsgericht in Munich confiscated all versions of Manhunt on July 19, 2004 for violation of § 131 StGB ("representation of violence"wink. According to the court, the game, portrays the killing of humans as fun, and the more violent, the more fun the killing is. They also said it glorified vigilantism, which they considered harmful per se.

In Australia, the game was "refused classification" on September 28, 2004 by the Classification Review Board despite having already been on sale for almost a year at the time, having earlier received a classification of MA15+ (restricted to ages 15 and over).

In Russian Federation, the game was banned in Steam after an incident with Dmitry Vinogradov in Moscow on 13 November, 2012.

Credit: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)

Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by Baddestguyp(m): 4:50pm On May 16, 2015
Gory.... shouldn't have been made in the first place
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by cao(f): 6:20pm On May 16, 2015
skillsbaba:
MAN HUNT 2
I guess I'm a sucker for gore and this game is gore personified. I learnt that the game was banned in several countries, and implicated in a murder by the UK media, although this implication was later rejected by the police and courts. This didn't stop me from playing it on my PC and later on the PSP over and over again.

The controversy surrounding the game stems primarily from the graphic manner in which the player executes enemies. In 2007, former Rockstar employee Jeff Williams revealed that even the game's staff were somewhat uncomfortable about the level of violence; "there was almost a mutiny at the company over that game."[27] Williams explained that the game "just made us all feel icky. It was all about the violence, and it was realistic violence. We all knew there was no way we could explain away that game. There was no way to rationalize it. We were crossing a line."[28]

The violence in the game drew the attention of U.S. Representative Joe Baca, who was the sponsor of a legislation to fine those who sell adult-themed games to players younger than 17. Baca said of Manhunt, "it's telling kids how to kill someone, and it uses vicious, sadistic and cruel methods to kill."[29] The media was also drawn into the debate. For example, The Globe and Mail wrote "Manhunt is a venal disconnect for the genre. There's no challenge, just assembly-line, ritualistic slaughter. It's less a video game and more a weapon of personal destruction. This is about stacking bodies. Perhaps the scariest fact of all: Manhunt is so user-friendly that any sharp 12-year-old could navigate through the entire game in one sitting."[30]

Toronto Star writer Ben Rayner, however, praised the relevance of the game, defending its violence and graphic nature as very much a product of its time, and condemning calls to have it banned;

New Zealand, the game was banned on December 11, 2003,[12][45] with possession deemed an offence.[46] Bill Hastings, the Chief Censor, stated "it's a game where the only thing you do is kill everybody you see [...] You have to at least acquiesce in these murders and possibly tolerate, or even move towards enjoying them, which is injurious to the public good."[47]

In Canada, following a meeting in Toronto on December 22, 2003 between Hastings and officials from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Business Services, Manhunt became the first computer game in Ontario to be classified as a film and was restricted to adults on February 3, 2004. Apart from Ontario, however, Manhunt had little or no classification problems elsewhere in North America. The British Columbia Film Classification Office reviewed the game after the controversy in Ontario and deemed the Mature rating by the ESRB to be appropriate.[48]

In Germany, the Amtsgericht in Munich confiscated all versions of Manhunt on July 19, 2004 for violation of § 131 StGB ("representation of violence"wink. According to the court, the game, portrays the killing of humans as fun, and the more violent, the more fun the killing is. They also said it glorified vigilantism, which they considered harmful per se.[49]

In Australia, the game was "refused classification" on September 28, 2004 by the Classification Review Board despite having already been on sale for almost a year at the time, having earlier received a classification of MA15+ (restricted to ages 15 and over).[50]

In Russian Federation, the game was banned in Steam after an incident with Dmitry Vinogradov in Moscow on 13 November, 2012.

If you're going to copy and paste, remember to add the source and remove the reference points...

1 Like

Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by Sektion: 6:08am On May 17, 2015
Give HATRED a check, I think its more controversial than manhunt 2.
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by skillsbaba(m): 10:35am On May 17, 2015
cao:

If you're going to copy and paste, remember to add the source and remove the reference points...

Yes ma'am
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by skillsbaba(m): 10:42am On May 17, 2015
Sektion:

On what console?
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by skillsbaba(m): 11:00am On May 17, 2015
Sektion:

I've watched the trailer and the gameplay is shitty. I guess you haven't played Manhunt
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by Sektion: 7:39pm On May 17, 2015
skillsbaba:

I've watched the trailer and the gameplay is shitty. I guess you haven't played Manhunt
I've played manhunt but you just watched its trailer? try checking what makes it controversial. And its on steam( for pc only) with an adult rating.
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by Sektion: 7:39pm On May 17, 2015
skillsbaba:

I've played manhunt but you just watched its trailer and gameplay? try checking what makes it controversial. And its on steam( for pc only) with an adult rating.
Re: The Most Controversial Game Of All Time (my Best) by cao(f): 8:03pm On May 17, 2015
I never played the Manhunt series, but I remember the whole hoopla surrounding it, the ratings board over here refused to classify it, it got edited they still no gree, after some court cases, it finally got certified as 18. It took a year for it to finally get released here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Big E3 2015 Announcements / Games Trade In Abuja / Gaming Lounge Competition Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.