Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

word game - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / word game (2138 Views)

Nairaland Poetry Club Chatroom. / "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? / Please Drop A Vocabulary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

word game by kradleber: 6:02pm On May 16, 2015
Re: word game by kradleber: 6:02pm On May 16, 2015
Words for the day

16th May, 2015

1. Tintinnabulation

Meaning: A tinkling sound , as of a bell or of
breaking glass. It is also the lingering sound of a
ringing bell that occurs after the bell has been
struck

Synonyms: chime, clangour,jingle, clanging.

In a sentence(s) : (a) Joseph could hear the tintinnabulation coming from the Anglican church.

(b) The telephone's tintinnabulation was a burden to my ears.

Etymology: This word was invented by Edgar Allan
Poe as used in the first stanza of his poem -'The
Bells'.

2. Brobdingnagian

Meaning: Enormous and far larger than is customary for such a thing.

Synonyms: gargantuan, elephantine, behemoth, cyclopean, gigantesque, mammoth, immense, huge, stupendous, mastodonic, mountainous, pythonic, colossal, vast, walloping, monumental, Bunyanesque, Herculean.

Antonyms: Lilliputian, small, little.

In a sentence(s): (a) One day, I hope to have a Brobdingnagian bank account.

(b] That Brobdingnagian building sure looks poorly constructed.

Etymology: Brobdingnag was an imaginary land of
giants in Gulliver’s Travels written by Jonathan Swift in 1728.

3. Asperity

Meaning(s): Asperity is defined as a way of speaking or behaving that is harsh or irritable. It also means something that's rough or harsh. Its also means a difficult and demanding situation.

Synonym(s): difficulty , hardship , rigor ,
vicissitude.

In a sentence(s): (a) His policy had aroused German jealousy, which became evident in the asperity (Harshness) with which the question of Morocco was handled in Berlin.

(b) I could feel the asperity of the wood.
(c) During our discussion she spoke with asperity

4. Verisimilitude

Meaning: Verisimilitude is defined as appearing, or
having the appearance of, being real or true.

Synonyms: believability, credibility, creditability, authenticity, plausibility.

In a sentence(s) : (a) It is a nightmare and nothing more, but a nightmare of the most extraordinary verisimilitude and poetical power

(b) The Verisimilitude of her accusations has not been overly confirmed .

5. Attenuate

Meaning: to weaken or reduce.

Synonyms: debilitate, devitalize, enervate, enfeeble,
sap , undermine, undo ,unnerve, weaken .

In a sentence(s): (a) the sabotage plan devised by Major Garfield may not eliminate our foes completely, but it would definitely attenuate them.

(b) i felt so attenuated after the Lagos marathon
Re: word game by LarrySun(m): 7:34pm On May 16, 2015
Great! I'm going to learn a lot from this thread.
Re: word game by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 16, 2015
Wow! This is an awesome ......... ( I just forgot the right word).
I hope to learn a lot from this thread.
Re: word game by kradleber: 10:47pm On May 16, 2015
That's the spirit folks.
Help in tagging people and invite your friends here too
Re: word game by LogoDWhiz(m): 11:39pm On May 16, 2015
Signing in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: word game by Writeditor: 10:30am On May 17, 2015
Good effort.

However, I think the words you are bringing up are not everyday words; that is, words that are likely to be of much use every day in speech or even writing. These are novelty words that will come in handy whenever the occasion calls for bombast.

Besides, I think the best way to learn vocabulary is to read wide and look up unfamiliar words in a dictionary.

But maybe there are aspiring Obahiagbons on here.
Re: word game by kradleber: 11:47am On May 17, 2015
Writeditor:
Good effort.

However, I think the words you are bringing up are not everyday words; that is, words that are likely to be of much use every day in speech or even writing. These are novelty words that will come in handy whenever the occasion calls for bombast.

Besides, I think the best way to learn vocabulary is to read wide and look up unfamiliar words in a dictionary.

But maybe there are aspiring Obahiagbons on here.

That's the purpose. Synonyms are also posted so we can know a wide range of other substitute words that can be used interchangeably, instead of recycling a particular word or words.

Sure, reading the dico is crucial to vocab buildup but this thread was created for interactions and fun catching, plus we would also be learning simultaneously too.
Re: word game by johnkay1(m): 12:23pm On May 17, 2015
I love this.
Re: word game by stuff46(m): 2:56pm On May 17, 2015
Cool innovation you've got here. cheesy

It would have been better if you have added the pronounciation of the words, some are so complicated.

And i think its this kind of thing that LarrySun needs to come and be doing so that we would be able to know the meaning of all those his ....... grin

Following
Re: word game by kradleber: 4:29pm On May 17, 2015
stuff46:
Cool innovation you've got here. cheesy

It would have been better if you have added the pronounciation of the words, some are so complicated.

And i think its this kind of thing that LarrySun needs to come and be doing so that we would be able to know the meaning of all those his ....... grin

Following

Thanks for your suggestion..
I'm still on the look out for certified linguists and willing volunteers. I would include pronunciation in the title.
All audios would be uploaded to Datafilehost.com or soundcloud.com , then the download link would be copied and pasted here... ....
Re: word game by kradleber: 4:42pm On May 17, 2015
Every language has its own collection of wise sayings. They offer advice about how to live and also transfer some underlying ideas, principles and values of a given culture or society. These sayings are called "idioms" - or proverbs if they are longer. These combinations of words have (rarely complete sentences) a "figurative meaning".

This List of commonly used idioms and sayings (in everyday conversational English)

A hot potato : Speak of an issue (mostly current) which many people are talking about and which is usually disputed

A penny for your thoughts : A way of asking what someone is thinking

Actions speak louder than words : People's intentions can be judged better by what they do than what they say.

At the drop of a hat : Meaning: without any hesitation or done instantly

Back to the drawing board :When an attempt fails and it's time to start all over.

Elvis has left the building : The show has come to an end. It's all over.

Method to my madness :An assertion that, despite one's approach seeming random, there actually is structure to it.

Miss the boat : This idiom is used to say that someone missed his or her chance
Re: word game by Madamkilljoy(f): 12:06am On May 18, 2015
This thread would help a lot of people, including those suffering from verbosity. Thanks for bringing this initiative on board.

One thing I've noticed is your omission of the word classes those words belong to. Why omit them, if I may ask?
Re: word game by kradleber: 12:44am On May 18, 2015
Madamkilljoy:
This thread would help a lot of people, including those suffering from verbosity. Thanks for bringing this initiative on board.

One thing I've noticed is your omission of the word classes those words belong to. Why omit them, if I may ask?

First of all, I wanna thank you for the commendation and approbation.
Secondly, I'd try to do that next time I post if I have enough strength to type.

Your suggestion is most welcome and you are completely free to share whatever interesting and learning material with the house.
Re: word game by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 20, 2015
kradleber:
Every language has its own collection of wise sayings. They offer advice about how to live and also transfer some underlying ideas, principles and values of a given culture or society. These sayings are called "idioms" - or proverbs if they are longer. These combinations of words have (rarely complete sentences) a "figurative meaning".

This List of commonly used idioms and sayings (in everyday conversational English)

A hot potato : Speak of an issue (mostly current) which many people are talking about and which is usually disputed

Actions speak louder than words : People's intentions can be judged better by what they do than what they say.

Back to the drawing board :When an attempt fails and it's time to start all over.

Method to my madness :An assertion that, despite one's approach seeming random, there actually is structure to it.

Re: word game by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 20, 2015
Nice one. Following and learning. Hope it will help my writing and you will answer my questions?

kradleber:

Re: word game by kradleber: 6:06pm On May 20, 2015
peppyluv02:
Nice one. Following and learning. Hope it will help my writing and you will answer my questions?

okay, you're welcome... I'm glad you've pinpointed your interest and you are willing to participate in this.
We would have a session on Sunday evening and i would tag everybody.
Once again you are most welcome.
Re: word game by BrightForYou(m): 1:05am On Jul 26, 2015
Knock! Knock! Knock! Is anyone in the house?
Re: word game by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 26, 2015
very glad to have found this thread. following!
Re: word game by gabbidonb(m): 1:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
This is a wonderful thread as an opportunity to contribute learning and learn from others . I'm incredibly excited to be part of this; let's keep in rolling for knowledge is light n a powerful tool for sociatal emancipation.

(1) (Reply)

You Must Set Forth At Dawn By Wole Soyinka / What Is D Opposite Of OPPOSITE ?? / "Uncle Dee The Baby Sitter"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.