Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

How To Learn Database Management - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Learn Database Management (5704 Views)

In Need Of Oracle Database Management Training Video? Get In Here! / In Need Of Oracle Database Management Training Video? Get In Here! / Database Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 9:00pm On May 16, 2015
Computer technology geeks in the house, hello.

I am a graduate of mechanical engineering with no/less programming background knowledge. I wish to study Database Management though. So I'd like you all to be my guide.

What are the resources I'd need to study to excel in the adventure I want to embark on? Thank you for your anticipated assistance.
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Vicben(m): 9:16pm On May 16, 2015
You can enrol for a database management course with any recognised ICT institute around your area but if you'd like to teach yourself then you should go start with SQL. there are tons of materials available online through Google search or on w3school(dot)com

3 Likes

Re: How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 9:37pm On May 16, 2015
Vicben:
You can enrol for a database management course with any recognised ICT institute around your area but if you'd like to teach yourself then you should go start with SQL. there are tons of materials available online through Google search or on w3school(dot)com

Bro, thanks for your prompt comment. I'd like to do self-tutorial before I perhaps enrol in an ICT institute.

What application(s) do I need to install on my system before I can start learning SQL?
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Dmayor7(m): 1:08am On May 17, 2015
phetty:

Bro, thanks for your prompt comment. I'd like to do self-tutorial before I perhaps enrol in an ICT institute.

What application(s) do I need to install on my system before I can start learning SQL?
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Vicben(m): 1:13am On May 17, 2015
phetty:

You can install Oracle database client and continue from there. As I said earlier, run a quick Google search and you'd be on your way to becoming a great database manager

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Learn Database Management by Fulaman198(m): 8:40am On May 17, 2015
Read books by Alex Kuznetov like defensive dB programming

1 Like

Re: How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 9:36am On May 17, 2015
Fulaman198:
Read books by Alex Kuznetov like defensive dB programming

Thanks
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 11:47am On May 17, 2015
phetty:

Thanks

Hold on, lemme give u advise,
Jumping into oracle with out a background of any Db is like standing in front of a train, on high speed.
What do you know about select * from people... obviously nothing, and u wonna dive in to Oracle, you gonna have issues in the end.

Start with Ms access, then progress to mysql, then oracle, no offence if I sounded harsh.
Happy programming

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 11:58am On May 17, 2015
phetty:

What are the resources I'd need to study to excel in the adventure I want to embark on? Thank you for your anticipated assistance.

You can practice online with all major database Applications at: http://sqlfiddle.com

1 Like

Re: How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 3:43pm On May 17, 2015
gimakon:

Jumping into oracle with out a background of any Db is like standing in front of a train, on high speed.
What do you know about select * from people... obviously nothing, and u wonna dive in to Oracle, you gonna have issues in the end.

Start with Ms access, then progress to mysql, then oracle, no offence if I sounded harsh.
Happy programming

Man, thanks! No offense seen! Any tutorial for Ms Access?
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 17, 2015
phetty:

Youtube is a good place to start your journey, smiley everything I know in programming I learnt from there.
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Dclique(m): 5:28am On Dec 11, 2015
gimakon:

Youtube is a good place to start your journey, smiley everything I know in programming I learnt from there.

Exactly, Here is a free Database Management Tutorial Video i found on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2xZ3Z6TAk&index=1&list=PLRtVAYgoLea5ZPnOjrT_nW6hsxAApg5no

1 Like

Re: How To Learn Database Management by airsaylongcon: 7:55am On Dec 11, 2015
A First Course in Database Systems by Jeff Ullman

An Introduction to Database Systems by C. J. Date

Good books to start of with.
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 11, 2015
airsaylongcon:
A First Course in Database Systems by Jeff Ullman

An Introduction to Database Systems by C. J. Date

Good books to start of with.

Books don't show everything.
Videos do.
Re: How To Learn Database Management by airsaylongcon: 8:35am On Dec 11, 2015
gimakon:

Books don't show everything.
Videos do.

Books explain the theory. I believe a sound knowledge of the theory is needed before delving in. He's a mechanical engineer and I will give a comparison with a roadside mechanic (a technician). The engineer knows why a catalytic converter is needed in a car whereas our mechanics r happy to yank them off your car

1 Like

Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 11, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Books explain the theory. I believe a sound knowledge of the theory is needed before delving in. He's a mechanical engineer and I will give a comparison with a roadside mechanic (a technician). The engineer knows why a catalytic converter is needed in a car whereas our mechanics r happy to yank them off your car

You Wonna kill a Nigerian, give him a book.
That's why the level of carryover in computer science is just awesome.

Ever since my lecturer back in the university started teaching his students vb.net with projectors and practical, the students knew what he was saying.

1 Like

Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 13, 2015
12c and relational database management system
( RDBMS)
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 13, 2015
phetty:

check www.java2s.com
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Bollinger(m): 8:47pm On Dec 13, 2015
gimakon:

Happy programming

He can. That's what i did. It's not going to be easy but all one needs is constant practice. it takes 10,000 hours to master anything. Just two months into it and i can write queries easily. it's quite simple if you think about it. All you need is be able to think logically and the rest is easy. I'm self taught by the way. With the help of google and youtube.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2015
proxy20:
check www.java2s.com
Thanks, boss
Re: How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 9:32pm On Dec 14, 2015
proxy20:
check www.java2s.com
Thanks, boss
Re: How To Learn Database Management by phetty(m): 11:13pm On Dec 14, 2015
I really appreciate all your helpful contributions. You guys have been wonderful. Thanks!

If needs be, I may reach out to any of you guys on a personal level.
Re: How To Learn Database Management by eDoc: 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2015
Re: How To Learn Database Management by trytillmake(m): 2:36pm On May 27, 2016
Ok let add mine, Database tutorial step by step: http://www.quackit.com/database/tutorial/

Access Database tutorial step by step: http://www.quackit.com/microsoft_access/tutorial/

Mysql: http://www.quackit.com/mysql/tutorial/

You can the check the site for other tutorials. Mr self taught also.
Re: How To Learn Database Management by handsespen: 6:03pm On Oct 06, 2017
The Usefulness of Data Base in Financial Institution

The amount of data being handled by companies has grown so large in the recent year that managing it properly has become a sophisticated operation, an operation you are likely to be involved in the environment. The introduction of database management system concept that you should be familiar with...

http://www.scharticles.com/usefulness-of-data-base-in-financial-institution/
Re: How To Learn Database Management by Fulaman198(m): 6:14pm On Oct 06, 2017
I don't think the variant of SQL matters much, I personally learned the Oracle variant (I know 12c for instance). You just have to understand the principles behind relational databases.

(1) (Reply)

JSP Web Development / To All Programmers, Today Is My Birthday! / ASP.NET MVC [C#] Php Laravel - Training From Scratch-apply now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.