Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line (43645 Views)

Ijaw Youths Disrupt Tompolo’s 46th Birthday Party, Guests Escape Via Windows / Ijaw Youths At Rhythm 95.7FM Radio Programme In Bayelsa, Attack APC Members / Buhari Has Drawn The Battle- Line With South-east, South- South. —intersociety (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 9:19pm On May 21, 2015
joeboy03:

Everyone has made sacrifice but they Have undoubtedly made the most sacrifice. Sacrificing their environment, comfort, sources of income for the poor, health and more in the course of oil exploration, exploitation and production in their region. Does that seem or sound like a petty sacrifice? You have to acknowledge that their circumstance is special, therefore requires a corresponding special intervention and attention.

You would hardly really grasp the depth and extent of this except you live in the heart of this places or have witnessed firsthand the havoc caused by these activities.
I grasp more than you can imagine still a lot of money has gone to the region and been stolen.The last five years has seen more oil money than any time in our history where is it> Is it the right thing to be paying salary to militants is that the way to compensate for the environment? Ibori stole close to $1 billion and his people said it was OK

How do we decide what is the right level of compensation. Are we saying we should cripple the Nigerian state? Let us not beat about the bush

3 Likes

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by lyntiffany(f): 11:45pm On May 21, 2015
proudlyhandsome:

I have repeated this here time without numbers, there nothing like Niger-delta when it's time for War. I only pity the Ijaws being pushed by Igbos.

Igbos had tour that path and regretted their actions.

The past conflicts between the militants and Nigeria military was mere riot. I pity the Ijaws when Nigeria military finally decide to kill them like chickens.

Creeks could only accommodate Asari and his likes during a mere riot but in a full war, Creeks becomes a plain battlefield where bombs become an hourly thing. The Ijaws ll see their Bayelsa and cry.

Ojukwu who was well trained in one of the best military school in the world with other finest Igbo officers thought that it was going to be an easy battle going by Nigeria govt attitude to internal conflict.

Ojukwu even went on live TV to tell the whole world that Nigeria state would be shocked as to what was coming for them but unknown to him that a child ll be left to put his finger in burning candle in order for dat child to learn his lesson.

It ll only take just 4 days for Nigeria military to wipe Ijaws out of existence. Let them go to Odi and ask......

Di Ijaws youth think Asari us stupid when he took his business to Benin. Asari knows what we would befall that region in eventuality of war.

I pity Ijaws when they say Niger-Deltans, Do Ijaws expect Itshekiris, Edos, Urhobos, Egberis to support them in any war against Nigeria state? impossible mission. I guess they need to sit down and read Nigeria history very well before going into any war. Ijaws story would be worse than Igbo case after the war and Nigeria would completely leave them out of scheme of things after the war.
Don't sound so pained, and not when they give you your daily bread, let me ask you, if am no mististaken where would the money to destabilise the region come from?

1 Like

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by lyntiffany(f): 11:52pm On May 21, 2015
mapet:

My Sister,

If you're aware of goings on in the industry, you will know that the bolded was actually implemented in the past. Shell, Total, Agip and some oil companies moved their head office to PH. What is happening today? Total has virtually relocated back to Lagos (They actually built a 15th floor new office in Adetokunbo Ademola street VI, something ND should have benefited from). Total relocated her head office to Abuja. Shell maintains a dual Abuja - PH office.

The ND are forgetting a critical rule in attracting investment - Enabling Environment. When all these companies relocated Head office to PH, the spate of kidnappings and harassment went upscale and led these companies. Do you think people will risk their lives, moneies and asset simply because they want to assuage the ND? Do you think investors will come when a sizeable number of expatriates have been kidnapped, some killed and other not sure of their fate?
but do they still want to invest and gain from their oil? if yes, they should find a way to create an enabling environment or better still use the military they would have used to fight them .My dear everything has solution in this life except death.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Duru1(m): 1:54am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
Even if Nigeria breaks they will still buy the FPSOs and if they don't Angola and Ghana will buy,we do not need to be in the same country for that.If you had a little sense you would ask where do the existing ones come from. All the way from Korea. What next Abokis insist all shoes must be made in the North because leather comes from there

What a dumbass analogy. I guess dingbat such as you should have realized that foolish Abokis do not have monopoly on source of leather.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Duru1(m): 2:03am On May 22, 2015
cjrane:

Nigeria is a fond of cheating the Niger Deltans of the gains of the oil.
Every region should develop their own resources so that the urge to cheat others from their resources will stop.

Nigeria never cheated the so-called Niger Deltans of the gains of the oil, the so-called Niger Deltans cheated themselves by foolishly cow-towing the craps the northern and western region fed them in 60s. I guess they, the so-called Niger Deltans, have not seen anything yet.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 6:20am On May 22, 2015
Duru1:

What a dumbass analogy. I guess dingbat such as you should have realized that foolish Abokis do not have monopoly on source of leather.
I love you Dende grin

3 Likes

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 10:35am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
I grasp more than you can imagine still a lot of money has gone to the region and been stolen.The last five years has seen more oil money than any time in our history where is it> Is it the right thing to be paying salary to militants is that the way to compensate for the environment? Ibori stole close to $1 billion and his people said it was OK

How do we decide what is the right level of compensation. Are we saying we should cripple the Nigerian state? Let us not beat about the bush

Even without being stolen what the region currently receive is barely enough to contain the environmental impact, how much less its overall developmental needs.

More so, you can never grasp, because you just sit over there and give your opinion, without even assessing the damage done firsthand.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 10:47am On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

Even without being stolen what the region currently receive is barely enough to contain the environmental impact, how much less its overall developmental needs.

More so, you can never grasp, because you just sit over there and give your opinion, without even assessing the damage done firsthand.
Where am I sitting ? If you want to discuss with people you need to be polite and show respect and they will do the same back.You know nothing about me so avoid personal remarks.
Like I said a lot of the environmental impct is self inflicted by vandalism and deliberate sabotage as well as the impact of many "private" refineries. Oil exploration in Nigeria is done irresponsibly and that is an entirely different issue from derivation.
Government allows the oil companies to get away with a lot . That is an njustice but the solution is not to increase the level of derivation to state government. Why not advocate for derivation to be paid directly to Local government areas. You will find that the State will become the "enemy" of the LGA in the same way as the FG is the "enemy" of the states
The question is what is "enough" ? When I was a student my father gave me what he could afford for my upkeep. Not one day did I say it was "enough".

What is your suggested solution??

and how is it to be implemented?

3 Likes

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 11:23am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
Where am I sitting ? If you want to discuss with people you need to be polite and show respect and they will do the same back.You know nothing about me so avoid personal remarks.
Like I said a lot of the environmental impct is self inflicted by vandalism and deliberate sabotage as well as the impact of many "private" refineries. Oil exploration in Nigeria is done irresponsibly and that is an entirely different issue from derivation.
Government allows the oil companies to get away with a lot . That is an njustice but the solution is not to increase the level of derivation to state government. Why not advocate for derivation to be paid directly to Local government areas. You will find that the State will become the "enemy" of the LGA in the same way as the FG is the "enemy" of the states
The question is what is "enough" ? When I was a student my father gave me what he could afford for my upkeep. Not one day did I say it was "enough".

Firstly, I have never been known to be impolite to people on this forum and you can't be an exception. You misapplied my comment. I simply meant you are not in those to understand precisely what I am talking about. Like you said " a lot of environmental impact is self inflicted", through pipe vandalism and more and so does many more environmental impact are caused by oil exploration and production activities.

The point is, inasmuch as vandalism and activities of criminal elements within the region ( which is just a few individuals) have a negative effect, so does the oil exploration and production activities of mutinational brought untold hardship, environmental, health, social and economic consequences directly and indirectly on the general populace of the region.

We cannot overemphasize the need to adequately compensate for this major sacrifice, as current derivation and other forms of allocation does not and cannot satisfactorily address the reality on ground.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 11:24am On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

Firstly, I have never been known to be impolite to people on this forum and you can't be an exception. You misapplied my comment. I simply meant you are not in those to understand precisely what I am talking about. Like you said " a lot of environmental impact is self inflicted", through pipe vandalism and more and so does many more environmental impact are caused by oil exploration and production activities.

The point is, inasmuch as vandalism and activities of criminal elements within the region ( which is just a few individuals) have a negative effect, so does the oil exploration and production activities of mutinational brought untold hardship, environmental, health, social and economic consequences directly and indirectly on the general populace of the region.

We cannot overemphasize the need to adequately compensate for this major sacrifice, as current derivation and other forms of allocation does not and cannot satisfactorily address the reality on ground.
You know nothing about me so do not make comments about me . You do not know what I know or do not know.

What is your proposed solution specifically and how is it to be implemented?

1 Like

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 11:27am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:

The local govt. are even more corrupt.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 11:36am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:

You know nothing about me so do not make comments about me . You do not know what I know or do not know.

What is your proposed solution specifically and how is it to be implemented?

Increased derivation and more attention on environmental issues in the region are among the immediate needs. This is not a solution but measures to cushion the effect on the people. It's a long list but let those two be implemented in the interim.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 11:43am On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

Increased derivation and more attention on environmental issues in the region are among the immediate needs. This is not a solution but measures to cushion the effect on the people. It's a long list but let those two be implemented in the interim.
Can you be specific what you mean by "increased" and where it is to come from in the current arrangement. You see governance is serious business where will you make the cuts to increase derivation from the Fg the States or everywhere. more importantly you need to gie a figure and you need to be clear how you arrive at that figure or are we increasing for symbolic effect.

let me give you an example

oil prices fluctuate
for over 4 years they were about $100 so a state may have been getting 13 billion naira and now that it is $50 that same state will get 6.5 billion. so there is a huge spread in the figure which has nothing to do with the environmental impact . The environmental impact is not the same. Not everywhere in the so called Niger Delta is delta and the challenges in Khanna are not the same in Soku or Brass or Egbema
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
Can you be specific what you mean by "increased" and where it is to come from in the current arrangement. You see governance is serious business where will you make the cuts to increase derivation from the Fg the States or everywhere. more importantly you need to gie a figure and you need to be clear how you arrive at that figure or are we increasing for symbolic effect.

let me give you an example

oil prices fluctuate
for over 4 years they were about $100 so a state may have been getting 13 billion naira and now that it is $50 that same state will get 6.5 billion. so there is a huge spread in the figure which has nothing to do with the environmental impact . The environmental impact is not the same. Not everywhere in the so called Niger Delta is delta and the challenges in Khanna are not the same in Soku or Brass or Egbema

Do you know what it costs to clean up and manage an oil polluted area, land and sea?

The centre has to figure out how to effect an increase and at a reasonable percentage, the current arrangement is grossly inadequate in the pressing circumstance.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 12:06pm On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

Do you know what it costs to clean up and manage an oil polluted area, land and sea?

The centre has to figure out how to effect an increase and at a reasonable percentage, the current arrangement is grossly inadequate in the pressing circumstance.
There is no point asking me a pointless question.Derivation mney is not intended for cleaning up so tell that to those who do not know. I asked yo a question what is your proposal and you said increased derivation. Increased to what?
Derivation is paid in recognition that the oil comes out of the area. There are other funds and legal avenues to deal with spillage.
Spillage is not a "Normal" event . Is Nigeria the only oil producing country?

3 Likes

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
There is no point asking me a pointless question.Derivation mney is not intended for cleaning up so tell that to those who do not know. I asked yo a question what is your proposal and you said increased derivation. Increased to what?
Derivation is paid in recognition that the oil comes out of the area. There are other funds and legal avenues to deal with spillage.
Spillage is not a "Normal" event . Is Nigeria the only oil producing country?

You could have simply ignored the question. What about the question you just asked me, is that "pointful"? Then you should revert to my previous posts there are answers there.

The 13% derivation remains inadequate for the region.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by mapet: 1:22pm On May 22, 2015
lyntiffany:
but do they still want to invest and gain from their oil? if yes, they should find a way to create an enabling environment or better still use the military they would have used to fight them. My dear everything has solution in this life except death.

1. I am happy you take this stand point, especially the bolded part.
2. Please trust, that I have been following the ND like the bask of my hands since the year 2000, due to the nature of my work.
3. Wrt to the investors, they only recognize the FG through the bodies that invited the investments. Either as prospecting, E & P or Facilities investments. In many cases CSR projects are built into these contracts and adequately so.
4. I think it's high time ND youth sit down and talk sense into each other's faculties. I remember in the early 2000s, the youths will kill each other to hold the youth leadership positions. They come to the oil companies and make demands, from the spurious to the ridiculous. They threatened to ground the Oil companies operations. If there demands are altruistic, I wouldn't have been bothered. All they want is cash to share. They care less about the state of their environments. They care less about getting education up to professional level. They want to be given jobs/contracts they are largely incompetent and lack the capacity to do. Even when they are given contracts, they simply subcontract it. I had the first part of my NYSC in PH. Jobs that Shell and Total made available to the youths were "sold", many to non ND folks for cash.
5. Ayiri Emami has been a thorn in the flesh of Oil companies in warri Axis. Many Oil guys knew when Ayiri was a toddler. How he grew into a warlord terrorizing companies beats me. These guys will hold a whole company ransom, workers cannot come in and those in cannot go to their homes.........Ayiri Emami today is the managing director of a joint CSR team owned by oil companies and communities in Warri. The CSR funds in pulled into that company. You might want to ask yourself that after about 5years running what impact has that company made?
6. They later 2000s till date, the spate of kidnapping escalated. A Shell and Total that relocated their HQ to ND, now had their workers and expatriates kidnapped and at a scary rates. Contractors that bring specialists (mostly whites) on Facilities project have these guys kidnapped, some of them died in the process. Do you think these people will feel safe working in ND?
7. Truth is that a sizable majority of the ND boys are unemployable, except as casual staff. The ones that are educated have divided loyalties and leak company secrets to their folks which they use to hurt the companies.

Truth be told, cities or localities that thrive on commerce has one thing going for them, and that is the enabling environment. I also feel that you ND folks should understand something. The IOCs that pays the bigger bucks, that can megally develop these communities are leaving. In few year time, Shell would have sold off all her land assets and they will transact their business offshore, beyond the reach and jurisdiction of the ND restive boys.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 1:25pm On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

You could have simply ignored the question. What about the question you just asked me, is that "pointful"? Then you should revert to my previous posts there are answers there.

The 13% derivation remains inadequate for the region.
It is more than adequate for the region and should be revised for off shore production. That needs to be removed
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
It is more than adequate for the region and should be revised for off shore production. That needs to be removed

Now I know where you stand, hence the reason for your endless contest for the status quo to be maintained or even less.

Well, I apparently didn't expect any less from you. Yes it will be revised to a more just formula favourable to the people, just give it time.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 1:45pm On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

Now I know where you stand, hence the reason for your endless contest for the status quo to be maintained or even less.

Well, I apparently didn't expect any less from you. Yes it will be revised to a more just formula favourable to the people, just give it time.
I listen to opinions backed by facts and figures not sentiments. If you present a reasoned argument I will change my views I am not rigid . Endless contest? When did I start? all along I have asked what are we seeking to achieve an why. What is "enough" no response other than "it is not enough" .That leads no where. At any rate at todays production there is only 35 year years of oil and most of it is off shore so there is not plenty of TIME
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by lyntiffany(f): 5:39pm On May 22, 2015
mapet:

1. I am happy you take this stand point, especially the bolded part.
2. Please trust, that I have been following the ND like the bask of my hands since the year 2000, due to the nature of my work.
3. Wrt to the investors, they only recognize the FG through the bodies that invited the investments. Either as prospecting, E & P or Facilities investments. In many cases CSR projects are built into these contracts and adequately so.
4. I think it's high time ND youth sit down and talk sense into each other's faculties. I remember in the early 2000s, the youths will kill each other to hold the youth leadership positions. They come to the oil companies and make demands, from the spurious to the ridiculous. They threatened to ground the Oil companies operations. If there demands are altruistic, I wouldn't have been bothered. All they want is cash to share. They care less about the state of their environments. They care less about getting education up to professional level. They want to be given jobs/contracts they are largely incompetent and lack the capacity to do. Even when they are given contracts, they simply subcontract it. I had the first part of my NYSC in PH. Jobs that Shell and Total made available to the youths were "sold", many to non ND folks for cash.
5. Ayiri Emami has been a thorn in the flesh of Oil companies in warri Axis. Many Oil guys knew when Ayiri was a toddler. How he grew into a warlord terrorizing companies beats me. These guys will hold a whole company ransom, workers cannot come in and those in cannot go to their homes.........Ayiri Emami today is the managing director of a joint CSR team owned by oil companies and communities in Warri. The CSR funds in pulled into that company. You might want to ask yourself that after about 5years running what impact has that company made?
6. They later 2000s till date, the spate of kidnapping escalated. A Shell and Total that relocated their HQ to ND, now had their workers and expatriates kidnapped and at a scary rates. Contractors that bring specialists (mostly whites) on Facilities project have these guys kidnapped, some of them died in the process. Do you think these people will feel safe working in ND?
7. Truth is that a sizable majority of the ND boys are unemployable, except as casual staff. The ones that are educated have divided loyalties and leak company secrets to their folks which they use to hurt the companies.

Truth be told, cities or localities that thrive on commerce has one thing going for them, and that is the enabling environment. I also feel that you ND folks should understand something. The IOCs that pays the bigger bucks, that can megally develop these communities are leaving. In few year time, Shell would have sold off all her land assets and they will transact their business offshore, beyond the reach and jurisdiction of the ND restive boys.
I understand you but don't make it sound as if Delta and Rivers are the only oil producing states in Niger Delta.
We have Cross river and akwaibom state believe me there is no excuse to that.
Do you know how many foreigners that move about in the streets of Akwaibom state and cross river, how many have you heard that was kidnapped hrom there?
Like I said that's one of their flimsy excuses.

1 Like

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
I listen to opinions backed by facts and figures not sentiments. If you present a reasoned argument I will change my views I am not rigid . Endless contest? When did I start? all along I have asked what are we seeking to achieve an why. What is "enough" no response other than "it is not enough" .That leads no where. At any rate at todays production there is only 35 year years of oil and most of it is off shore so there is not plenty of TIME

Yes it will not take up to 35 years to get justice.
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 5:49pm On May 22, 2015
joeboy03:

Yes it will not take up to 35 years to get justice.
Good luck with that you are free to say anything you like.I am more interested in actions.

1 Like

Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
Good luck with that you are free to say anything you like.I am more interested in actions.

Action is in the offing
Re: Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line by omonnakoda: 9:13pm On May 22, 2015
Excellent , I am sure as well as the subsequent reaction

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Fayose Kneels On The Alter, Prays For Nigeria With Apostle Suleman. Photos / Fayose, Nigerians React As INEC Postponed General Elections Till February 23rd / Lagos Shuts Down All State Owned Broadcast Stations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.