Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,115 members, 7,807,357 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming (1620 Views)

Everton Matheus Rafael Swimming With Ifeanyi Ubah FC Players / Fikayo Idowu Is Dead. Drowns While Swimming With Friends / Lets Talk About Swimming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by MKO4ever(m): 7:18pm On May 18, 2015
Just a little introduction:
This was the public pool I used for my swimming lessons: (People around Ogba in Lagos will be familiar with this place) the deep side is 12ft while the shallow side is 3ft and the two sides were demarcated by a rope.
The guys in red are the instructors:

Being part of my resolutions for this year, I registered for swimming class on the first day of the year, i.e January 1, 2015 and five days later I was already comfortably floating especially on my back.

And presently, I am very comfortable playing inside any water irrespective of the depth. I found this experience extremely interesting and as a matter of fact, this experience has greatly helped me in controlling my nervousness while speaking in public-All I now need to do is to just remember the swimming pool and how I float on water and then my confidence is restored .For so many reasons, I will always remember the first five days in this year 2015 for good.
For now, I swim regularly and always interested in gisting with people about swimming.
The first thing I learnt was how to hold my breath under water: I started with 24 seconds, but I was able to increase to 50 seconds on my first day: The secret to this is ‘Relaxation’ with water, the more you are able to relax under water the longer you will stay without the need for oxygen
Second lesson was how to do flapping: For me this was easy and did not require so many technicalities; all you need to do is to hold on to the side of the pool, take a deep in-breath, put your face in the water and keep moving your legs up and down, but I had to practice it several times to ensure it is strong enough, I was also taught how to breath out while head still inside water
As soon as my flapping was good enough, I was asked to release my hands from the rail.
So I started learning to float and move around just by flapping alone, I was able to move from one end of the pool to the other (breadth). I did this flapping several times on the first day.
When I woke up the next day, I had body pains all over me but I knew it was because of the swimming of the previous day and that the pain was normal. I had to go to work as well. But returned to the pool later in the evening to continue practicing the lessons from yesterday
By Sunday January 4, 2015 I was already doing the full length with back and breast strokes. Since then I have made swimming a hubby and based on my little experience, I wish to give you the following facts for free:
• Swimming is not difficult
• Water is friendly, do not be scared of playing inside it
• If you relax and surrender yourself to water, it will not let you down
• But if you struggle with water, it will drain your energy and overpower you
• You will have to be consistent in order to learn fast
• Always have your swimming goggle. It makes life easier inside the water
• Because of pressure of water, it is easier to swim in a deep pool than shallow pool
• Practice make perfect
• If I could learn swimming in that short period, then every nairalander can
• Fear kills destiny, it is time we turn-back and kill the fear

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by derolemode(m): 8:25pm On May 18, 2015
1 like for u

1 Like

Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by Anythingelse: 1:02pm On May 19, 2015
Nice one, your post is nice I love swimming as well, but I hate water
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by MKO4ever(m): 1:07pm On May 19, 2015
Anythingelse:
Nice one, your post is nice I love swimming as well, but I hate water

But how can you love heaven and hate death? You've gotta love water, because water loves you
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by Anythingelse: 3:08pm On May 19, 2015
MKO4ever:

But how can you love heaven and hate death? You've gotta love water, because water loves you

I used to swim back then in the village when I was growing up, but I had a bad experience with water, only God saved my life. since then, I'm sorry when it comes to playing inside water
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 29, 2015
Hi, please can you tell me how much it costs and the exact location of the pool. I need swimming lessons. Thanks
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 29, 2015
*pulls shirt and drives to sheraton to renew club membership*

men....i miss swimming so much. Even tho when ur done it dries ur skin and makes u extra hungry cry
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by MKO4ever(m): 11:09pm On May 29, 2015
missmayor:
Hi, please can you tell me how much it costs and the exact location of the pool. I need swimming lessons. Thanks
It costs N20,000 to register as member, the membership gives you access to several facilities including gym, aerobics, tennis, swimming everyday btw 7am to 9pm for three months.
The location is inside excellence hotel at ogba in Lagos
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by MKO4ever(m): 11:14pm On May 29, 2015
shockwave91:
*pulls shirt and drives to sheraton to renew club membership*

men....i miss swimming so much. Even tho when ur done it dries ur skin and makes u extra hungry cry
Yeah, I agree, swimming dries skin especially when you stay for too long in the water
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 29, 2015
MKO4ever:

Yeah, I agree, swimming dries skin especially when you stay for too long in the water
so u no dey h wen u swim finish? Ah ah, guy u na whale? cry
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by MKO4ever(m): 11:53pm On May 29, 2015
shockwave91:

so u no dey h wen u swim finish? Ah ah, guy u na whale? cry
Looolz, but I think you must also love food more than I do grin
Re: You Want To Be Able To Control Your Nervousness? Go Learn Swimming by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 29, 2015
MKO4ever:
Looolz, but I think you must also love food more than I do grin
grin

(1) (Reply)

Akin Ayodele Celebrates His 37th Birthday Today / Tottenham V Chelsea On Sunday, At Wembley 4PM Who Will Win Drop Your Prediction / Hoffenheim 2 Vs 4 Liverpooll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.