Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding (44915 Views)

Photos: Malnourished Child Brutally Tortured, Abused And Left Lying On The Stree / Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos / Teacher Makes Girl Sit On Hot Water Container In Lagos, Girl Dies (Graphic Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by ronald4lif(m): 2:04am On May 19, 2015
KA24DETT:

If it was over here, the Doctor is definitely losing her license. For a woman, differential diagnosis for lower abdominal pain is numerious ranging from Ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst rupture, ovarian torsion, appendicitis, crohn disease, arterial embolism. Its not the girls fault. The physician is not trained properly and should be sued for malpractise insurance. Okay, lets imagine the doctor is still going for appendicitis, a common ultrasound will suffice. Am even going too far, A digit exam of the vagina and tenderness of the adnexa will go along way in helping. This is commmon 3rd year medical student work. . Most of Nigerian doctors are good but the bad ones gives them a bad rap

Yes, exactly my sentiments. And same here in Europe and in fact everywhere in the West but some guys came for my jugular when I made that posture. Lol
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by KA24DETT(m): 2:04am On May 19, 2015
perezzi:

you do not understand What you are saying. So, you are saying the doctor should have investigated virginity (/pregnancy) in an emergency situation.
ask your doctor What acute abdomen means.

Dude, Acute abdomen can meant anything.. Every medical student/ doctor knows that any woman that comes in with acute abdomen gets a B-Hcg for pregnancy FIRST. Thats where u start..There is an algorithim for situations like this. It saves money, time, and unnecessary investigations

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kcinho(m): 2:06am On May 19, 2015
LEGSTRONG:
Na wa Medical practice in this country is unbelievable. Why resort to surgical intervention without doin a SCAN? A simple ultrasound scan would have indicated that she was bleeding internally.
So many quack hospitals around God help us all......
what if the hospital lacks a US machine?
Don't jump into conclusions
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by KA24DETT(m): 2:09am On May 19, 2015
bigass:

If someone present with chest pain and you order mri ecg and echo only to discover it's from chest muscles. After paying about 80k. I will collect my money back.

A good history and a physical exam can let you know if it is Costochondritis (Chest muscle pain ). You do echo, ECG to rule out the worse case scenario of heart attack.
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kcinho(m): 2:17am On May 19, 2015
KA24DETT:

If it was over here, the Doctor is definitely losing her license. For a woman, differential diagnosis for lower abdominal pain is numerious ranging from Ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cyst rupture, ovarian torsion, appendicitis, crohn disease, arterial embolism. Its not the girls fault. The physician is not trained properly and should be sued for malpractise insurance. Okay, lets imagine the doctor is still going for appendicitis, a common ultrasound will suffice. Am even going too far, A digit exam of the vagina and tenderness of the adnexa will go along way in helping. This is commmon 3rd year medical student work. . Most of Nigerian doctors are good but the bad ones gives them a bad rap
You would do a VE for a "virgin"......and I pray you come over here too to understand that ultrasound isn't as common as you think it is. You guys should quit jumping into conclusions. So quick to judge a colleague cos of some Twitter story.

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by KA24DETT(m): 2:29am On May 19, 2015
Kcinho:

You would do a VE for a "virgin"......and I pray you come over here too to understand that ultrasound isn't as common as you think it is. You guys should quit jumping into conclusions. So quick to judge a colleague cos of some Twitter story.

Dude, in Medicine, no one care about what you say, you follow what you are thought in medical school. I do not care if shes a virgin. All i want to do is to save her life

2 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kcinho(m): 2:32am On May 19, 2015
KA24DETT:

Dude, in Medicine, no one care about what you say, you follow what you are thought in medical school. I do not care if shes a virgin. All i want to do is to save her life
So you were taught to do VE on virgins
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kassidy90(m): 2:44am On May 19, 2015
Kcinho:

but would you have used a Cusco on her if she was actually a virgin?
Its d same tin am talking about the disposable actually but the point is y lying?
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kassidy90(m): 2:59am On May 19, 2015
nationwide1:
The doctor also contributed to the girl's death.
Good history, examination and appropriate investigation should have exposed the girl's lie and saved her life.

Asking her for her last menstruation date, urgent PT, urgent PCV and abdominopelvic ultrasound scan should have saved that girl.

That doctor should have taken his time to ensure the basic things were done.
Am 101% with u, but instead of putting all the blames on the doc we should try n let people realize that lying to a doctor or any health professionals is like signing their death warrant.....

2 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by aaidel(m): 3:22am On May 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
In saner climes, that doctor risk losing his licence for negligence of duty. He ought to carry out appropriate medical test and not rely on the patient's account. A doctor should diagnose ailment before proceeding with any treatment and not rely on patients account of symptoms. He really have a lot to answer.

DrAify and KingTom, what are your take on this.

and what if the patients account happens to be true? a good history is paramount to making any diagnoses though in this case i can partially agree with you because if an abdominal ultrasound was done it would have ruled out appendicitis and potentially diagnosed the real cause
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by OmerianConsult: 3:30am On May 19, 2015
She made a silly mistake. Never lie to your lawyer, doctor or pastor.

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Nobody: 4:35am On May 19, 2015
Breaking down the case, with Bushdoc.

(Note: Remember that the story about the case comes to us second hand and we are missing several facts.).

From the description of the case, it is obvious that.

1.A mistake was made in the fact that an abdominal-pelvic ultrasound was not done, at least. Had it been done....it may have shown the ectopic pregnancy clearly.

2.However, we also may assume that the Ultrasound machine was not working, or was broken down....and as such everyone was operating basically on the patient's history.

3.Ectopic pregnancies and ruptured appendix with peritonitis , as well as perforated intestines all present the same way.So...it is possible that an exploratory laparatomy was done...and that is a different op from a plain appendectomy....and that is where the discovery was made. (Keep in view that they may have been relying on just history and physical examination....because the scan machine may have not been working....emphasis on the word ''may'').

Indeed....acute abdomen can mean anything....even a ruptured blood vessel.When we doctors see patients,we make a diagnosis based on the facts gleaned from the history....then we confirm or reject via investigations.Compromise can happen at any stage.

4.Patients do lie to doctors,nurses, and other members of the medical team. And yes, in situations where facilities are limited, this usually does not end well.

VERDICT:

A) The Medical doctors are to blame for NOT adequately doing all the possible investigations....especially a Ultrasound scan. However....IF there was no scan machine; indeed if there was compromise in the investigative process...then we cannot lay all the blame at the feet of the doctors. This calls for urgent increase in funding for Health care in this country.....and it starts, IMO, by making tertiary hospitals public private...and redirecting money saved to primary and secondary health care.

Doctors also need to be trained in communicating with patients, as well as proper diagnostics.

Finally....in investigating a patient for any sickness....GET YOUR DIFFERENTIALS....and rule out every possible alternative. Don't stick to one diagnosis.

B) The fact that a girl would lie about being pregnant to doctors(most of us docs do not judge patients....I hope) shows that we as a country have failed to be open about sex and sexuality. Now...I am a conservative minded person. But I think it is high time we introduced sex education to this country's secondary schools as a matter of urgency. I think that parents too should be better at talking to their children,especially their female children.

Patients should never lie to their doctors. Or any medical person. We are here to help you. Lying makes the process difficult. Help us by telling the truth at all times.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kingbilo(m): 4:50am On May 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
In saner climes, that doctor risk losing his licence for negligence of duty. He ought to carry out appropriate medical test and not rely on the patient's account. A doctor should diagnose ailment before proceeding with any treatment and not rely on patients account of symptoms. He really have a lot to answer.

In what time frame.. So she can die while they are testing abi..
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Kingbilo(m): 4:52am On May 19, 2015
nationwide1:
The doctor also contributed to the girl's death.
Good history, examination and appropriate investigation should have exposed the girl's lie and saved her life.

Asking her for her last menstruation date, urgent PT, urgent PCV and abdominopelvic ultrasound scan should have saved that girl.

That doctor should have taken his time to ensure the basic things were done.

Disagree.. This is internal bleeding... Time is not on their side. The doctor knew that no matter what he has to open her up. The question is which area. I wonder if the hospital even had the equipment you are talking about

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Adebolade(m): 5:20am On May 19, 2015
Flashh:
Nobody should blame the doctor, he's not at fault.

The girl is just too silly.
I will blame the doctor. Why? Because he shouldn't take everything a patient to be true. He could have used his discretion as a doctor to send her sample for PT,pcv which won't take more 10mins to get the result.why was he trained to be medical pratictioner.

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Adebolade(m): 5:23am On May 19, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Breaking down the case, with Bushdoc.

(Note: Remember that the story about the case comes to us second hand and we are missing several facts.).

From the description of the case, it is obvious that.

1.A mistake was made in the fact that an abdominal-pelvic ultrasound was not done, at least. Had it been done....it may have shown the ectopic pregnancy clearly.

2.However, we also may assume that the Ultrasound machine was not working, or was broken down....and as such everyone was operating basically on the patient's history.

3.Ectopic pregnancies and ruptured appendix with peritonitis , as well as perforated intestines all present the same way.So...it is possible that an exploratory laparatomy was done...and that is a different op from a plain appendectomy....and that is where the discovery was made. (Keep in view that they may have been relying on just history and physical examination....because the scan machine may have not been working....emphasis on the word ''may'').

Indeed....acute abdomen can mean anything....even a ruptured blood vessel.When we doctors see patients,we make a diagnosis based on the facts gleaned from the history....then we confirm or reject via investigations.Compromise can happen at any stage.

4.Patients do lie to doctors,nurses, and other members of the medical team. And yes, in situations where facilities are limited, this usually does not end well.

VERDICT:

A) The Medical doctors are to blame for NOT adequately doing all the possible investigations....especially a Ultrasound scan. However....IF there was no scan machine; indeed if there was compromise in the investigative process...then we cannot lay all the blame at the feet of the doctors. This calls for urgent increase in funding for Health care in this country.....and it starts, IMO, by making tertiary hospitals public private...and redirecting money saved to primary and secondary health care.

Doctors also need to be trained in communicating with patients, as well as proper diagnostics.

Finally....in investigating a patient for any sickness....GET YOUR DIFFERENTIALS....and rule out every possible alternative. Don't stick to one diagnosis.

B) The fact that a girl would lie about being pregnant to doctors(most of us docs do not judge patients....I hope) shows that we as a country have failed to be open about sex and sexuality. Now...I am a conservative minded person. But I think it is high time we introduced sex education to this country's secondary schools as a matter of urgency. I think that parents too should be better at talking to their children,especially their female children.

Patients should never lie to their doctors. Or any medical person. We are here to help you. Lying makes the process difficult. Help us by telling the truth at all times.
thank you I never knew we still have people who can reason well like you.

2 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Adebolade(m): 5:31am On May 19, 2015
Caliph69:
If the story legit...

That reminds me of a book I read in secondary school: The Pregnant Virgin...which has been taking place even before 1AD. So the girl may actually be a virgin.

Her soul will rest in peace.
I read this same book as well but the lady in the book was sedated and woke feeling pain. So pregnancy should still be suspected
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Nobody: 5:41am On May 19, 2015
I just remembered most nigerian hospital have no ultrasound facility
Pregnancy is ruled out just from history?
What nonsense
they couldn't do a simple pregnancy test?
Mschtwwww
Story doesn't add up

2 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by jomoh: 5:56am On May 19, 2015
Well this may sound different and to some ignorant people it may sound out of order but the fact iis that I won't go with the band wagon of condemning the girl.

She might in actual fact be a virgin but could have had semen discharged on her privates during pre-intimacy with her guy. The semen could trickle through the tiny hymen hole thereby making her pregnant without breaking the hymen. I've read that somewhere.

DrAify, Kingtom what's ur take

2 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by KingTom(m): 6:18am On May 19, 2015
jomoh:
Well this may sound different and to some ignorant people it may sound out of order but the fact iis that I won't go with the band wagon of condemning the girl.

She might in actual fact be a virgin but could have had semen discharged on her privates during pre-intimacy with her guy. The semen could trickle through the tiny hymen hole thereby making her pregnant without breaking the hymen. I've read that somewhere.

DrAi fy, Kingt om what's ur take
Your theory though improbable, is not impossible. That may have been the case, but I doubt it though
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by tendermind: 6:22am On May 19, 2015
The doctor was out of it entirely, it is ethically wrong to operate a patient based on the clinical history, is there no ultrasound machine?or a radiologist who would have confirmed whether it was ectopic pregnancy or ruptured appendix? You just went and operated upon a patient based on suspect . Dts why she came to the hospital for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by ACM10: 6:32am On May 19, 2015
Flashh:
Nobody should blame the doctor, he's not at fault.

The girl is just too silly.
publicenemy:

This is a joke...right.

This is not a joke, my dear. The doctor is clearly incompetent. The doctor should atleast do BHCG and abdominopelvic ultrasound scan. His index of suspicion for ectopic pregnancy should have been high when a young girl of child bearing age presented to him with amenorrhoea, bleeding per vaginam and acute abdomen. He should have atleast stabilized the patient and refer. Relying on patient's account can mislead you. This is a case of negligence of duty on the background of incompetence.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by ACM10: 6:36am On May 19, 2015
tendermind:
The doctor was out of it entirely, it is ethically wrong to operate a patient based on the clinical history, is there no ultrasound machine?or a radiologist who would have confirmed whether it was ectopic pregnancy or ruptured appendix? You just went and operated upon a patient based on suspect . Dts why she came to the hospital for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Any case of acute abdomen is an indication for exploratory laparotomy. The doctor did the right thing by operating, but he intervened late. Doctors working in the rural facilities do not have the luxury of ultrasound machine. So they must rely on their clinical acumen to do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Nobody: 6:37am On May 19, 2015
Cutehector:
lol wen she gets to heaven, she go stil lie say she be virgin
Heaven ke?
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Nobody: 6:40am On May 19, 2015
ronald4lif:

in an emergency like this you don't wait for test result before treatments every second counts, usually with ectopic pregnancy like appendicitis diagnosis is clinical (history and examination )
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by publicenemy(m): 6:46am On May 19, 2015
ACM10:

This is not a joke, my dear. The doctor is clearly incompetent. The doctor should atleast do BHCG and abdominopelvic ultrasound scan. His index of suspicion for ectopic pregnancy should have been high when a young girl of child bearing age presented to him with amenorrhoea, bleeding per vaginam and acute abdomen. He should have atleast stabilized the patient and refer. Relying on patient's account can mislead you. This is a case of negligence of duty on the background of incompetence.

It was an emergency,she was in pain, bleeding,late in the middle of the night... The Doctors needed every info cos time wasn't a luxury and besides the doctors would feel she has no reason to lie cos her life in danger. So going through virginity test when a patient has clearly told you she is sexually inactive would be a waste of precious time that's not available...
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by Cutehector(m): 6:55am On May 19, 2015
MissGdope:

Heaven ke?
eh heaven na.. After death isn't it judgement? Whr will d judgment take place? In hell? Smh
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by poiuy09: 6:56am On May 19, 2015
FlirtyKaren:
Read this set of tweets from very bottom to top.
While It's wrong for her to lie, I believe it was the fault of the doctors in this case......any abdominal pain in a woman of reproductive age group, pregnancy test must be done first regardless of what her history is.

Sad story though.

2 Likes

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by ACM10: 6:59am On May 19, 2015
publicenemy:

It was an emergency,she was in pain, bleeding,late in the middle of the night... The Doctors needed every info cos time wasn't a luxury and besides the doctors would feel she has no reason to lie cos her life in danger. So going through virginity test when a patient has clearly told you she is sexually inactive would be a waste of precious time that's not available...

It is wrong for a doctor to rely on the patient account only. Any case of bleeding per vaginam, amenorrhoea and lower abdominal pain with a positive BHCG test should make the doctor think of ectopic pregnancy and abortion(?type). This is when his clinical skills comes into play in making proper diagnosis. He has nothing to lose if he operates. Infact he will be commended for doing a timely exploratory laparotomy.

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by idu1(m): 7:00am On May 19, 2015
DanNafada:
I am neither a Gynaecologist nor a Surgeon and I do realise nobody is infallible. However, every reasonably competent doctor will know severe anaemia or blood loss with lower abdominal or pelvic pain, especially in a young woman, should scream pregnancy - even if the patient denies a history of pregnancy. Appendicitis hardly ever causes severe blood loss. A quick pregnancy test probably would have save her life.
Sad story. May her soul rest in peace.
you are right.... And the story is a lie.

1 Like

Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by akogun7(m): 7:02am On May 19, 2015
The girl definitely takes a large share of the blame for lying. However we would never be able to judge the doctor fairly enough if we don't know how well equipped the hospital was.
Re: Girl Dies After Lying To Doctors She's A Virgin When She Was Pregnant & Bleeding by idu1(m): 7:07am On May 19, 2015
vfactor:

Have you ever been a doctor? Or u just want to talk? Do you know that various ailments could have the same symptoms? So should a doctor start to test for all those ailments before treating the patient? Why then do doctors ask the patients questions, when they would just go forward and run test to check for all the available ailments having the same symptoms?

In saner climes, someone who's not a doctor wouldn't condemn a doctor when he knows nothing.
what are you saying?

What happen to the girl is a clear clinical feature of complicated pregnancy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Signs White Paper That Bars Public Doctors From Owning Private Hospitals / China Reports Outbreak Of H5N1 Bird Flu / 10 Causes Of Mouth Odour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.