Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? (9283 Views)

HELP : INTEL Core Vs AMD : Which Is Better ? / AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? / Amd Turion 64 X2 Vs Intel Duo Core Processors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 2:43pm On Sep 13, 2006
hey, I want to get a new system but I am wondering on which processor to get. What do you think of the durability and cost of the two processors, AMD and INTEL?
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by hayprof(m): 1:33am On Sep 14, 2006
AMD thats what my pc uses lipsrsealed
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by ishmael(m): 6:23pm On Sep 14, 2006
Please go for AMD, they are more durable, rugged and less expensive. Though my pc uses intel, i have used systems with AMD processors, i really like them, especially Athlon and Duron. Intel has made name sha more than AMD, especially in nigeria.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by fisayo: 4:47pm On Sep 15, 2006
amd! d price is rite and so is d value. i av been using an athlon processor for abt a year now and i tink its absolutely fantastic. you'll get so much value for ur money. as sum1 said, intel has name but amd has d processor at least for now. ps buy an athlon xp pro or an amd 64 if u need heavy performance. happy computing.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Chxta(m): 6:24pm On Sep 15, 2006
Whenever I want to do something I've found that CNET is a damned good advisor, so I recommend that you read this.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 3:45pm On Sep 20, 2006
but i hear people complain about the motherboard that comes with AMD, also don't do you get for what you pay for?
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by jammin(m): 4:02pm On Sep 20, 2006
[size=12pt][/size] intel might be the market leaders but in terms of performance AMD is closing FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!. make sure you get an athlon 64 x2, mind you your mobo must be able to support it. if not get a Mobo with a 939pin. [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2006
well i used to think amd can't work here cos i believed they used to burn up easily compared to intel but thanks for shedding more light on that for me if am going to geta anew pc i think it wud be an amd
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by patbon(m): 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2006
Intel is the Market leader no doubt, but AMD provides same performance if not more. I have done some benchmaking myself and I can vouch for AMD anyday. This is from my years of experience as a Cybercafe Owner and PC Technician. I have been using my AMD PC as a server in my Cybercafe without hassles for over three years.

008033288628, 01-4339770
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 7:55am On Sep 26, 2006
what about the issue of the low quality mboards that come with it

>>patbon - what type of AMD processor do you use? undecided
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Chxta(m): 4:39pm On Sep 26, 2006
I thought we were talking processors here, not motherboards.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 8:14am On Sep 27, 2006
of course, we are still talking about processor, i just brought up the issue of mboards cos someone complain to me about the mb that comes up with most AMD processors.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by xclusiv(m): 8:32am On Sep 27, 2006
the issue here is about branding - u use intel and u feel it is better, if u use AMD u also feel it is better
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Seun(m): 9:06am On Sep 27, 2006
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Mariory(m): 9:30am On Sep 27, 2006
No doubt the newer AMD processors are quite better in terms of performance to intel processors. They(AMD) do more work per clock cycle than INtel processors and so they offer faster performance at lower speeds. The AMD FX series are awesome for gameplay. If you're looking for office type of performance then go for dual core AMDs. In regards to mobo's, be sure to get one with the 939 pin.

If you're buying a new ready built AMD powered system these days they will usually come with a 939 pin mobo anyways. But check to make sure.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 11:06am On Sep 27, 2006
What do you want to use your system for?

That will give an insight into important features you should look out for in your processor:
[list]
[li]Clock speed[/li]
[li]Cache Size[/li]
[li]Bus Speed[/li]
[li]Graphics capabilities (e.g. MMX in Intel)[/li]
[li]Core type (single/dual)[/li]
[li]32/64 bit[/li]
[li]Vendor-specific technologies (e.g. Hyper-Threading, vPro, [/li]
[li]etc.[/li]
[/list]

Pick one processor each from Intel and AMD (if there are in both) which satisfy your requirements and read reviews about them, especially how long it takes a system running on both to calculate the value of pi to say 2 million digits. Only then can you be sure on which one to pick. Any other comparison is simply vague and biased.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Mula(f): 2:42pm On Sep 27, 2006
I prefer Intel especially with duo core and all
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by New(m): 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2006
i'll go with Intel anyday. Of the last 20 years, i've always used intel based systems. I bought an AMD system once and dumped it after about 6 months cos it was crap for gaming and froze/crashed all the time (overheating).

here's some info I thought might be useful.

Almost all Intel 1.6A's out there can hit 2.4 GHz without even breaking a sweat, and many even can do 2.7 GHz.
With both processors overclocked, Intel still wins in terms of performance. Of course AMD's saving grace has always been price. AMD based systems and CPU's have always been a much better value, and they still are.

Cooling - The retail Intel heatsink is just designed so well. Not only does it have a massive amount of surface area to draw away the heat a P4 produces (highly clocked P4's can generate close to what high end AMD CPU's do), it also acts as a huge EMI shield!

Another point to keep in mind is how fragile the AMD CPU is. When's the last time you heard of someone that killed a P4 or P3 with heat? Or maybe having a heatsink crush the core? Now think about the horror stories you've heard about from AMD based processors.
Source- http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1194.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by grafikdon: 4:32pm On Sep 27, 2006
And the INTEL/AMD flame war rages lol. Just read a lot of reviews and ask those who have actually used both system for the same task you're aiming to use it for. In my own case I will be rolling with Intel til further notice. cool
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by roflmao: 7:51pm On Sep 27, 2006
Chxta:

Whenever I want to do something I've found that CNET is a damned good advisor, so I recommend that you read this.

Damn! AMD wiped the floor with Intel yo. SMH. Intel lost mad haaaaard, grin grin grin

But I'd still go for Intel any day cos on the long run Intel is prolly better, iono really, I'm just not an AMD fan kinda, ya'll dig
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by ladex142(m): 10:07pm On Sep 27, 2006
rof-lmao:

Damn! AMD wiped the floor with Intel yo. SMH. Intel lost mad haaaaard, grin grin grin

But I'd still go for Intel any day because on the long run Intel is prolly better, iono really, I'm just not an AMD fan kind of, ya'll dig
O yeah cheesy, let me join the AMD fan club grin. I'll say AMD because my PC uses AMD and it's really fast cool,plus i don't see any difference between the two, all you need do is know the type of speed you want to get out of a PC and go for it, whether it's AMD or Intel i don't care.Money also is another factor after you've decided on what you want, I'll say you should go for the cheaper one, a processor speed of 2.2GHz is more than enough kiss
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by zebudaya(m): 4:23am On Sep 28, 2006
When i bought my laptop it had AMD 64 bit Athlon processor 3200 ghz, equivalent to pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, ( so AMD says) it was 300 dollars cheaper, and it has never let me down.
So AMD for life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by kheme(m): 8:10am On Sep 28, 2006
AMD is cheaper, but intel is better!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 8:35am On Sep 28, 2006
New:

i'll go with Intel anyday. Of the last 20 years, i've always used intel based systems. I bought an AMD system once and dumped it after about 6 months because it was crap for gaming and froze/crashed all the time (overheating).

here's some info I thought might be useful.

Almost all Intel 1.6A's out there can hit 2.4 GHz without even breaking a sweat, and many even can do 2.7 GHz.
With both processors overclocked, Intel still wins in terms of performance. Of course AMD's saving grace has always been price. AMD based systems and CPU's have always been a much better value, and they still are.

Cooling - The retail Intel heatsink is just designed so well. Not only does it have a massive amount of surface area to draw away the heat a P4 produces (highly clocked P4's can generate close to what high end AMD CPU's do), it also acts as a huge EMI shield!

Another point to keep in mind is how fragile the AMD CPU is. When's the last time you heard of someone that killed a P4 or P3 with heat? Or maybe having a heatsink crush the core? Now think about the horror stories you've heard about from AMD based processors.
Source- http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1194.

but AMD openly challenge intel to a performance test that intel declined? undecided
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 9:17am On Sep 28, 2006
the answer is quite simple: AMD.

intel recently fired the entire executive team responsible for the disaster that is prescott, the newest and last pentium 4.

for 2 years plus now, intel has been so far behind amd in terms of performance, (even when overclocked, mr @New, which you DONT want to do with a toasty prescott anyway) that it has been a joke.

the only reason they are still alive is that the public at large still have blind trust for anything 'intel'

the prescott runs insanely hot, i should know- i have a hyperthreading p4 3.0 ghz (630) and i had to battle with thermal paste and temp monitors before i got it to run at a good temp- TWICE trhe temp of my old p4 2.26 ghz (northwood)

please dont mislead people into buying the current crop of p4s, they overheat and are unreliable. AMD is the clear winner at the moment.

google 'prescott' if you need proof.

PS: intel now has the most powerful cpu on the market- the core 2 duo. but to do that they had to ditch the p4 and resurrect old p3 technology! the core 2 doesnt have the slow speed or overheaing of the prescott but it is BRAND SHINY NEW so i dont advise ppl to go for it, yet. AMD is still the best deal for now
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 11:53am On Sep 28, 2006
wale_oau:

but AMD openly challenge intel to a performance test that intel declined? undecided

Can you please send a link to that information so that it can be verified?

But on the real, if IBM's DB2 challenges Oracle's 10g to a performance test, do you expect Oracle to even respond?
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 2:31pm On Sep 28, 2006
naijafan:

Can you please send a link to that information so that it can be verified?

you can check this out
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_13368_13369,00.html?redir=CPSW51

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3485556

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/23/amd_intel_dual/
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by New(m): 3:20pm On Sep 28, 2006
zebudaya:

When i bought my laptop it had AMD 64 bit Athlon processor 3200 ghz, equivalent to pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, ( so AMD says) it was 300 dollars cheaper, and it has never let me down.
So AMD for life!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMD 3200+ is not equivalent to the intel p4 3.2 ghz since they have different clock speeds and AMD's CPU naming convention doesn't represent its actual clock speed unlike intel's. the AMD 3200+ performs more like a 2.8ghz p4 and runs at about 2 ghz. here are a couple of  links to some test data
http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/processor/intel_3200/

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/pentium4-3.4ghz/index.x?pg=1
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by zebudaya(m): 4:12pm On Sep 28, 2006
well I didn't really say it was equivalent i said "so AMD says". Then again not many people need 3.2 ghz it's like buying a Rollsroyce when an S-class would do just fine.

Back when I bought my laptop 2004, it was the fastest laptop on the block
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 5:22pm On Sep 28, 2006
@wale_oau

Thanks for the links. My opinion:
- The first one was biased.
- The second one named AMD as 'The No. 2 chipmaker', and ended by saying Intel was releasing processors based on 65nm technology before the end of the year. It also stated that the 'contest' was in AMD's office in california and that Intel was going to get a chance at their own developers forum (you can bet AMD wont be present either).
- The third one stated that Intel laughed over it for some logical reasons, 'let the market decide'. But hmm. The CEO avoided answering all other questions.

Statistics has it that AMD rose from ground zero to being a threat to Intel in just two years. And you can tell, Intel is scared. That was 23rd August anyway. Now, they have the best chip on market; the Core 2 Duo. I must say its a really active competition, and neither stays a winner for too long.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Christino(m): 1:04am On Sep 29, 2006
For all hardware reviews and benchmarks, always go to http://www.guru3d.com

Meanerwhiler, check out the results of tests on Intel Core 2 Extreme - it's the worlds fastest for now: http://www.guru3d.com/article/processor/370/

there's a page there where they compared 6 most recent AMDs and Intels, please see for yaselves and stop bragging afterall, renderes and gamers are the best testers when it comes to processors, memories and 3d VGAs, speed generally! wink
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 8:34am On Sep 29, 2006
naijafan:

@wale_oau

Thanks for the links. My opinion:
- The first one was biased.
- The second one named AMD as 'The No. 2 chipmaker', and ended by saying Intel was releasing processors based on 65nm technology before the end of the year. It also stated that the 'contest' was in AMD's office in california and that Intel was going to get a chance at their own developers forum (you can bet AMD wont be present either).
- The third one stated that Intel laughed over it for some logical reasons, 'let the market decide'. But hmm. The CEO avoided answering all other questions.

Statistics has it that AMD rose from ground zero to being a threat to Intel in just two years. And you can tell, Intel is scared. That was 23rd August anyway. Now, they have the best chip on market; the Core 2 Duo. I must say its a really active competition, and neither stays a winner for too long.

i can see you have made up your mind already

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice On The Best Modem In Town / How Can I Hide My Ip Address Free Of Charge / THREAD UPDATED! OCTOBER LAPTOP ARRIVALS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.