Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,783 members, 7,806,173 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? (25096 Views)

Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? / 'eguns' Badagry Indigenes: Post Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 22, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Precisely! Good to see you wink

same here cheesy

Please dont deprive people of your unique views on account of some NL rumble. Everyone has those once in a while.

Though I agree its important not to lose touch with reality in the name of cyberspace pixels.

@ topic:

i think the almajiris have chased cora4love from this thread.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AloyEmeka9: 1:35am On Apr 22, 2009

@ topic:

i think the almajiris have chased cora4love from this thread
You are the first educated female almajiri I've seen in my life. Wonders ended with tpiaII.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by adetunrayo(f): 2:42pm On Apr 22, 2009
why cant u guys get back 2 d topic instead of exchanging words.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 22, 2009
adetunrayo:

why cant u guys get back 2 d topic instead of exchanging words.

because some people hate not being the center of attention.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by cora4love(m): 8:25pm On Apr 22, 2009
tpia , i cannot move out of the thread , just because of someone else view. am a freethinker. so i was not bothered, is just that i come to Lagos to do somethings, but i will try to post tomorrow. am using cafee now unlike b4 when am in school with my pc.
Whatever anyone like Yoruba oyoroba or yoruba na dem sabi. see you later to continue.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AloyEmeka9: 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2009
tpia , i cannot move out of the thread , just because of someone else view. am a freethinker. so i was not bothered, is just that i come to Lagos to do somethings, but i will try to post tomorrow. am using cafee now unlike b4 when am in school with my pc.
    Whatever anyone like Yoruba oyoroba or yoruba na dem sabi. see you later to continue.
tpia/tpia1/tpia2's new alias is sherifatoU with the 'U' enhanced.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by akigbemaru: 3:44am On Aug 19, 2009
Yoruba is the correct spelling to all Yoruba people, but outsiders sometimes called it Yoruba.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by ikeyman00(m): 9:56am On Aug 19, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

yes i de look

by the way

becomerich

u see wahala dey oooo lipsrsealed
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

yes i de look

by the way

becomerich

u see wahala dey oooo lipsrsealed

come, what's with you and alum emeka trying to act like its a big problem if Kwara, Egun, Badagry arent Yoruba?

So?

How many Yorubas do you see crying over your concern?

are you taking panadol for another man's headache?
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by No2Atheism(m): 6:44am On Aug 31, 2009
Also, you quoted that Cush begat Nimrod. Well, I don't know if Nimrod is the same person as Lamarudu but I know Lamurudu was a Cushite from Axum and knowing that the Cushites descended from Ham, I am led to believe that we are speaking of same person, hunter, farmer, fisherman, or whatever he is.

@negro nts

But if Lamurudu is a cushite from Ethiopia, then it means he cannot be an Arab. This is because Arabs are supposed to be descendants of Shem and not Ham.

Can you please clarify this or alternatively when you say Arab do u mean Arab by blood or Arab by just language.

If the story of Lamurudu coming from the region of Cush is true, then that would explain why Yorubas and Binis seem to be quite developed compared to the other ethnic groups of their ancient times. It was like the Bini and Yorubas had a developmental advantage of some sorts over others hence why it was probably easier for them to dominate others during those times.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2009
In actuality, the Egun people are not yoruba. Their language is Egun which is similar to Ewe language spoken in Benin and parts of Togo. The Egun language is more 'eweid' than 'Yorubaid'. Some Egun people speak Yoruba just as Okrika people speak Igbo but are not Igbo.
The Aworis claim early link with Benin, however, they are Yorubas in today's Nigerian context.

2 Likes

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia5: 3:33pm On Aug 31, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by asha80(m): 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2009
tpia@:

seriously, why are non-Yoruba foreigners always so fixated on lagos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awori

if you dont believe wiki then look up any old history book.

and who said the Egun are Yoruba in the first place? Eguns themselves are the ones who occasionally claim Yoruba- I dont see many actual Yoruba people saying that.

Badagry is popular because its a smuggling route- make all of una face that side and stop this jargon. Are Yorubas disturbing you?

To asphyxiate you guys grin
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia5: 4:00pm On Aug 31, 2009
asha 80:

To asphyxiate you guys grin

na yourselves you'll asphyxiate nah wink
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Busybody2(f): 10:55pm On Aug 31, 2009
Just passing by and can't help bursting into a "love is in the air song" cool cool cool
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by tpia5: 1:39am On Sep 01, 2009
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 6:22pm On Sep 01, 2009
I am a very good friend of the Yorubas. I am an authority in Yoruba worldview and hence, has helped a lot of Yoruba people realise whom they are.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Busybody2(f): 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2009
tpia@:

ah, long time no see!

back from your honeymoon?

FYI, asha 80 is female.

Na swineflu wan rob me of my mouth for two weeks oh, but God no gree am grin

Who dey talk about tolotolo abi na asha you call am tongue Me I am just felicitating and jubilating for you and Aloymental cheesy Oyinbo people talk am say there is a very very thin line between love and hate so my crystal ball is predicting that there I predict a spectacular wedding coming up soon between the two of you, so start tasking him for money for your wedding gown, its got to be one-in-town grin
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 01, 2009
Andre Uweh:

I am a very good friend of the Yorubas. I am an authority in Yoruba worldview and hence, has helped a lot of Yoruba people realise whom they are.

clap for yourself.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by alexarelano(m): 11:51am On Dec 18, 2016
I like d topic, thumb up
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AndreUweh(m): 11:23pm On Dec 20, 2016
AndreUweh:
In actuality, the Egun people are not yoruba. Their language is Egun which is similar to Ewe language spoken in Benin and parts of Togo. The Egun language is more 'eweid' than 'Yorubaid'. Some Egun people speak Yoruba just as Okrika people speak Igbo but are not Igbo.
The Aworis claim early link with Benin, however, they are Yorubas in today's Nigerian context.

Wow, never knew I wrote this here.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by AmuDimpka: 5:30am On Dec 21, 2016
They are not Yoruba and they have made that position clear ..That awori and Egun isn't..Even some ijebu hate Ben called w Yoruba
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by macof(m): 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2016
AmuDimpka:
They are not Yoruba and they have made that position clear ..That awori and Egun isn't..Even some ijebu hate Ben called w Yoruba

lmao grin ..what all you dumb people say sometimes ehn. if awori and ijebu aren't yoruba then there's no yoruba in this world

1 Like

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by OkoNDOoBo: 10:18am On Dec 22, 2016
this is an insult to aworis, i'm from isheri-olofin alimosho local government . olofin the ancestor of aworis left ife to settle down in lagos state while his descendants spread across yorubaland. the name awori means bowl sunk in Yoruba language .
when olofin was about leaving on ife, he consulted the oracle was told to travel by water.and he was given a bowl with charms in it, he was instructed to place thev bowl on water and followed it anywhere the bowl sunk that will be his destination,that was were the name awori was coined
AWO - bowl

RI- sunk.
the oracle also instructed him to sacrifice a white ram against storm during their journey unfortunately they couldn't get one' they had to wash and scrub a black ram until it turn white that's why in our. oriki they call us ""omo agbo dudu to wo oko ti o si di funfun" .to cut the story short the. bowl sunk and popped up later at different places in Ogun and finally sunk in iddo now called idumota Lagos state.

we aworis re full blooded Yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 22, 2016
Ijebus do NOT hate being called Yoruba... we are Yorubas... get your facts right please.

AmuDimpka:

2 Likes

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by babyfaceafrica: 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
Lolz....tribal warlord everywhere you go......any researcher should check about the gbe and fon people...you may notice trace the history of eguns....debating about aworis is an insult on aworis sef!!
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by oyatz(m): 8:48am On Jan 26, 2017
Noooo, they aren't POW but part of the old Oyo empire, they are related to the Yorubas in ancestry (read their history very well) but not Yoruba.
There has been great cultural assimilation over the last 250 years.
AloyEmeka9:

Ok, now I understand. So they were more like POW's?. Even though they consider themselves non Yoruba, does the Yoruba consider them as an ally or as one of the sons of Yoruba in this modern time because very few has the in depth knowledge of their history like you explained above?

1 Like

Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Timmyjosh: 10:32am On May 10, 2017
Can anyone just praise God in egun language for me, please.... cry
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 6:14pm On May 10, 2017
Timmyjosh:
Can anyone just praise God in egun language for me, please.... cry

Werengato werin bia no mi o

My God I praise you.
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by babyfaceafrica: 4:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
aljharem:

Werengato werin bia no mi o

My God I praise you.
please can you tell me some words in egun?..like hot,cold,warm,cool
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by Jackossky(m): 11:24pm On May 04, 2018
NegroNtns:
Precisely! Good to see you wink
Hello Sir , I hope you are still on Nairaland?
I have been trying to get my facts straight about the Yoruba and Egun (ogu) people.

I did think that the ogu people are a sub division of the Yoruba people. I mean, they are majorly in Badagry, one can even say that they dominates Badagry and Badagry is seen as a major part of lagos.(Lagos as we know today comprises Yoruba,)

I have been trying to make my research on this which made me come across this thread, I haven't been able to get a concrete answer if the Egun people are also Yoruba.While some links agreed that Egun is a sub division of Yoruba, some beg to disagree.
MOST sites I visited were controversial
Now, I don't want to feed posterity with hogwash and hearsays, maybe there is any site you can direct me to, so I can get a concrete answers from there.

Some Yoruba says Ogu people are not part of them, some ogu said likewise. But most (Yoruba and ogu) still thinks the ogu and the Yoruba are one.
I for one think so.
Please, tell me what you know about the Yoruba and the ogu people and I want to be sure if it won't be asinine of me to call an Ogu man a Yoruba

Share your view with me Sir.

Others who are versed on this subject matter can also contribute their opinions.

Waiting for your response BOSS
Re: Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 12:45am On May 05, 2018
Jackossky:

Hello Sir , I hope you are still on Nairaland?
I have been trying to get my facts straight about the Yoruba and Egun (ogu) people.

I did think that the ogu people are a sub division of the Yoruba people. I mean, they are majorly in Badagry, one can even say that they dominates Badagry and Badagry is seen as a major part of lagos.(Lagos as we know today comprises Yoruba,)

I have been trying to make my research on this which made me come across this thread, I haven't been able to get a concrete answer if the Egun people are also Yoruba.While some links agreed that Egun is a sub division of Yoruba, some beg to disagree.
MOST sites I visited were controversial
Now, I don't want to feed posterity with hogwash and hearsays, maybe there is any site you can direct me to, so I can get a concrete answers from there.

Some Yoruba says Ogu people are not part of them, some ogu said likewise. But most (Yoruba and ogu) still thinks the ogu and the Yoruba are one.
I for one think so.
Please, tell me what you know about the Yoruba and the ogu people and I want to be sure if it won't be asinine of me to call an Ogu man a Yoruba

Share your view with me Sir.

Others who are versed on this subject matter can also contribute their opinions.

Waiting for your response BOSS

Eguns are not linguistically Yoruba they are More like Fons of Benin republic in that aspect.
That being said, all those ethnic-groups are more or less similar in every other regard. Even in benin republic, Guns and Yorubas have internixed so extensively in porto novo and environs that it is now mostly hard to say which is which.

So, depending on who is concerned, egun can be seen as a part of the larger Yoruba identity, and they might not.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (photos) / Oluwo Tells Osun Obas They Can't Suspend Him / Oba Fatai Irawo Of 'Odi-olowo' Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.