Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,963 members, 7,799,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Nigerian Man Defrauds Australian Woman Of N70M Life Savings - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Man Defrauds Australian Woman Of N70M Life Savings (609 Views)

Man Defrauds In-law In N9m Deal / Godwin Nwaofor Cheated Pensioners Out Of £5m Life Savings In London / Picture Of UK Citizen Arrested In Lagos For Defrauding Seven Nigerians Of N70m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Defrauds Australian Woman Of N70M Life Savings by Jamieb(m): 7:08pm On May 19, 2015
When 61-year-old Jan Marshall signed up to an online dating website called Plenty of Fish, she put up her personal details and where she works, and quickly she was matched to a ‘British’ man — Eamon Donegal Dubhlainn — who claimed he worked as an Engineer in the United States

In a few months, after consistent communication through email, phone and instant messenger (though they never had any video chat), she fell in love with him. He proposed marriage and she accepted.

And then she began sending him money through his bank account after he claimed he was trapped in Dubai and couldn’t pay his taxes. he said he would pay her back, but he never did. Next he was asking for more to buy materials, all of which she sent through Western Union. Though the platform had a limit of $10,000 per transaction, she sent in multiples of ten, like when she sent him $40,000.
Once he had claimed he was on his way to the airport, to travel and see her, but he had a car accident. She received forged emails and bills from doctors and nurses who claimed they were treating him, and she paid all the bills. She would later realise the scam after she had sent him about $350,000.

Through investigations, Australian authorities found out that Eamon Donegal Dubhlainn does not exist, that the picture was stolen off the internet, and that the $350,000 actually was transferred to Nigeria. The fraud was traced to a 419 ring in Nigeria.

The Photo Used by the Fraudster

For Jan, who still owes Australian government about $76,000 in taxes incurred from all the funds she sent to the scammer, she is heartbroken.

“It has left me in a lot of strife,” she told Daily Mail. “I gave him money from my pay, I had to borrow money to get through that first month, I closed down a lot of discretionary spending and I am still in strife in credit card and tax office debt.”

Source: http://www.irise.com.ng/nigerian-man-defrauds-australian-woman-of-n70m-life-savings/

Re: Nigerian Man Defrauds Australian Woman Of N70M Life Savings by Livintainment: 7:12pm On May 19, 2015
Okokobioko!!! The man don hammerrrr ooooo! Chai!
Re: Nigerian Man Defrauds Australian Woman Of N70M Life Savings by Adeniyi077(m): 7:36pm On May 19, 2015
No matter how hard it gets, I am not going to drag the beautiful name of this country in the mud.

You need Jesus to get through this, granny.
Re: Nigerian Man Defrauds Australian Woman Of N70M Life Savings by tosynbolade(m): 7:41pm On May 19, 2015
Toooh

(1) (Reply)

Suicide Boko Haram Bomber Kills 9 People, Injures Many In Adamawa / Senator-elect Wanted For US Drug Deal Arrested / Heartless! House Helps Assaulted With Hot Iron For Stealing N100

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.