Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 (22030 Views)

How To Get Dollar Into Your Domiciliary Account / CBN Bans Deposits Into Domiciliary Account / How To Check Your Bank Account Balance Using Your Mobile Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by Adesiji77: 8:57pm On May 19, 2015
In an apparent move to check the trending dollarisation of the Nigerian economy and cut down huge dollar liquidity in the system, banks are now directing their customers to keep to a maximum of $10,000 balance in their domiciliary accounts.

A bank customer told BusinessDay on Monday that following the directive of his bank, last week, he has withdrawn $2,000 which was the excess on the $10,000 he had in his account before that directive came.

The customer said he received the following text from his bank- “…Dear customer, be advised that you cannot keep more than $10,000 balance in your domiciliary account, otherwise, the excess would be subjected to 10% charge weekly.”

BusinessDay could not get a reaction from the banks that sent out those directives, but a bank top staff confirmed such development in other banks, but said his institution was yet to receive any advice on the matter.

Ibrahim Mu’azu, CBN director, corporate communications, told BusinessDay that he was not aware of such directive, but that whatever it is would be clarified at the MPC meeting. “I am not aware that the CBN issued such directive, maybe the banks are looking for revenue or running away from something. Whatever, it will be clearer probably after tomorrow’s meeting,” Mu’azu stated.

There are, however, indications that CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele, may have gotten President Goodluck Jonathan’s backing to implement some tough policies, as long as they are useful in saving the naira.

Regular and huge dollar spending, including for shopping, gifts, school fees, rent, which are now demanded in dollars, has been a serious concern for the CBN, due to the huge demand pressure it exerts in the FX market and then on the naira.

Last week Tuesday, the CBN held meetings with banks on the unhealthy dollarisation of the economy. It was learnt that the CBN was disappointed that banks were not implementing its directives to the letter, but were interpreting the circulars to suit their own purpose.

The issue and the attendant impact on the naira, especially unstable exchange rate at the parallel foreign exchange market, is also expected to dominate discussions at the CBN’s two-day Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting which began on Monday.

But at the last meeting in March, Emefiele raised concerns over the wide divergence between the interbank and the bureau-de-change exchange rates, which provides an avenue for arbitrage and speculative activities in the market.

He particularly noted with concern the phenomenon of currency substitution and partial dollarisation in the economy, a development which, he said, may have significantly fuelled the high demand for foreign exchange.

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/05/dollarisation-banks-peg-domiciliary-account-balance-at-10000/#.VVuPmflViko

lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by menix(m): 10:16pm On May 19, 2015
As long as GTB does not charge mii on my $4 balance wiv them, e no qoncern mii..

Buh seriously FG needs to curb dis trend of paying for goods nd services in dollars else abana go soon dey demand their pay in dollars too....

14 Likes

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by tobtap: 10:26pm On May 19, 2015
OK..We suppose don implement this tey tey...na to move my money comot sharply..
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by callmeSwit(m): 10:27pm On May 19, 2015
we don hear
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by nairation: 10:29pm On May 19, 2015
If you ask them now they will say they are trying to reduce corruption..

Not good enough...

[size=20pt][url]nairation.com[/url][/size]
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by gbongbo6070(m): 10:30pm On May 19, 2015
what ever so mah pocket no dey charge me, am lez concern
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by 5p1naz(m): 10:30pm On May 19, 2015
cheesy maybe this is good for the economy
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by STENACO: 10:32pm On May 19, 2015
I have only $3.4. on my domiciliary account. hope I won't also be charged. Hehe heehehheheh. Wtf
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by UnknownT: 10:32pm On May 19, 2015
To Whom It May Concern!!!!!!
You guys should take note cos as my condition dey now, dis news no concern me

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by BE811APP: 10:32pm On May 19, 2015
I have like $10 in diamond bank..

Can't wait for $1=N1

Its well
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by paramedic: 10:33pm On May 19, 2015
Speechless though!!!

Pls does GTB have any subsidiary bank in the US??
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by mentorandfriend(m): 10:33pm On May 19, 2015
The best news of the day. Dollarisation of our economy is becoming a big problem. This thing will make the Naira lose value faster than we can imagine, because people hoard dollars, or go straight to Berau de Change to dollarise any money they get. Black market forex.
You cant believe that some estate owners, and even local landlords in Lagos collect rent in dollars. Even some primary and secondary schools.
I pray the eight assembly enacts laws to stop all these attitudes weakening the economy.

1 Like

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by Olamitisoji(m): 10:34pm On May 19, 2015
Good Development. I hope it saves our naira.

3 Likes

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by baybeeboi: 10:34pm On May 19, 2015
wow!
My $100,000.....straight to First Bank 2moro.

1 Like

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by RichDad1(m): 10:34pm On May 19, 2015
whatever....
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by Shaw007(m): 10:36pm On May 19, 2015
So where do i keep all my future billion dollars? tongue

2 Likes

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by PresidentT(m): 10:36pm On May 19, 2015
So what do we do with the overshoot? #Just talk to them...
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by tochstorm(m): 10:37pm On May 19, 2015
mr prez elect 1naira to 1dollar.... we never forget oh!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by carterguccy(m): 10:37pm On May 19, 2015
In a "Mental Hospital" a journalist asks the Doctor: How do u determine whether to admit a mental patient or not?

Dr: "Well, we'd fill a bathtub with water and then give the patient;
(a). a teaspoon,
(B-). a glass,
(c). a bucket,
and ask them to empty the bathtub."

Journalist: "Oh, obviously a normal person would use the bucket because its bigger."

Dr: "No, a normal person would pull the drain plug! Please go to bed No.39. We will start further investigations on you!"
You also thought of the bucket, didn't you? Please go to bed No. 40 !

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 19, 2015
tobtap:
OK..We suppose don implement this tey tey...na to move my money comot sharply..
Hehe. Do you really have money?

1 Like

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by AgentPierce(f): 10:39pm On May 19, 2015
Nice move cbn
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 19, 2015
bed time
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by ralph28(m): 10:42pm On May 19, 2015
I'll tell my mother who is selling food stuff in the village to check whether she have more than $10,000 in her Akawo account. Just to let her know the new development.
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by ritux: 10:42pm On May 19, 2015
What will happen to people who have signed contracts to be paid in dollars? For example, a foreign company performing some services for a Nigerian Client here in Nigeria and on the Contract signed in 2012, it was agreed that the Client will pay the monthly fee in dollars.

Will this new policy affect the existing contract?

Also, will this policy affect Nigerian staff that are being paid their monthly salary in dollars?

1 Like

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by Jarchi(m): 10:43pm On May 19, 2015
Buhari na u be hope oh,but wait he's turning fed ministries to department wont he lay people off,and later employ them and start shouting he created job,he beta find anoda solution

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by anigold(m): 10:45pm On May 19, 2015
Adesiji77:

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/05/dollarisation-banks-peg-domiciliary-account-balance-at-10000/#.VVuPmflViko

lalasticlala, Ishilove

What sort of ridiculous policy is this. So now I have to get a strong room to keep my usd thats very funny.. how is this going to encourage foreign investment..

I think we have very foolish folks up there who dont even know what they should be doing...

1 Like

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by cmon(m): 10:46pm On May 19, 2015
BE811APP:
I have like $10 in diamond bank..

Can't wait for $1=N1

Its well

Then you will be left with N10

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by babasanti: 10:50pm On May 19, 2015
9ja , yeye they smell. They will still scrap it.
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by grandstar(m): 10:53pm On May 19, 2015
This is a nonsensical policy.

This so called dollarisation is probably not worth more than $500m a year. Whats that compared to oil receipts in billions of dollars.

There are better ways of protecting the naira.
Re: Dollarisation: Banks Peg Domiciliary Account Balance At $10,000 by JerryOJerry: 10:53pm On May 19, 2015
We hoping Buhari will give CBN Governor a strict directives. but, can he do anything that will not please Americans and the entire Europeans as they are joyfully following him as if he is going to implement GAY marriage in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire At Ecobank Headquarters In Lagos (VIDEO) / Nigeria: Report - Nigeria Loses 72 Percent Internet Revenue To Us / FOREX Crisis: Naira Plunges To 1,025/$, Job Losses, Factory Shutdown Loom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.