Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,570 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today (19120 Views)

"How I Escaped From Evans Cell After They Concluded To Kill Me" - Pharmacist / List Of Victims Kidnapped By Evans And Identities Of His Gang Members / 13-year-old Boys Who Fled Home And Lied About Being Kidnapped Nabbed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2015
Source or adonbilivit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by jamex93(m): 9:38am On May 21, 2015
grin
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by olaglamour(f): 9:42am On May 21, 2015
Thank God for your life
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by jane121: 9:47am On May 21, 2015
I have heard series of complains like this at that same spot in berger,the NPF better do something about it.Thank God for ur life @ OP
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by dre11(m): 9:49am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
False story. Hw can police kidnap d person wey he suppose to protect.

You're still a learner man

That's why I don't carry laptop bag in Lagos even if my lappy is with me

6 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:51am On May 21, 2015
I had a similar experience with my siblings coming back from the east last year December.
When we got to berger, a van filled with 4 policemen fragging us down in an annoying manner.
I asked my brother who was driving the car, if it's an offence for me to be pressing phone on the front seat of the car , he said no.
They walked up to us and said we should come down, we asked them if there is any problem , they said they need to search us , we said ok
They searched the whole car , by then the other car car we were travellING with pulled up at same spot. We were like 8guys now .
they said they will take us to the station so we will identify ourselves . That we are yahoo boys.
We refused and put up a very strong resistance.
they called for a backup and there boss came. We explained the situation to him. Police is very funny.
Now they said they need to search my phone that I was snapping them with it.
I said ok, I showed the Boss my phone there was no picture of them inside.
The end of it all is funny, the boss now told us that they will leave us to go , but not here, because there is a crowd watching already, he said of them need to enter our car then we will all drive down a bit, then they go.
and we should give them #2000 .lol
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by delishpot: 9:51am On May 21, 2015
Na wa. I wish their pictures were clear, I would have said you should post them anyway.
Anyway sha, hooe your sister gets well soon.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by remmydada(m): 9:54am On May 21, 2015
What u just described has happened to me before @ that same begger I refused to stop when the guy flashed his ID card on my face they almost get me to enter the car but I bluntly refused
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:55am On May 21, 2015
Pls can I av the pic if u had any clear pic? I know how to deal with those fools, been in their mess before and till date dey fear me for my area, dey are all criminals, together we can all stop dis harassment .. Na soldiers dey treat their fvck up for me

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Bants(m): 9:56am On May 21, 2015
Dude dem no beat u well if dem beat u well taking a picture wont come to ur head at all
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:56am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:

Perhaps you're one of those useless thieves who call themselves policemen.

16 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:58am On May 21, 2015
Bants:
Dude dem no beat u well if dem beat u well taking a picture wont come to ur head at all

If you continue mocking others like this, one day you too might become a victim.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by kazmanbanjoko(m): 10:00am On May 21, 2015
nairalandist:

I know you're one of those useless thieves who call themselves policemen. By the grace of God, that uniform that makes you people harrass innocent people on the street will leave your body and you will join your brothers in NURTW. USELESS MAN.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by ifeomaekol(f): 10:01am On May 21, 2015
Are u sure they are policemen? God save us ooooo, this case needs to be reported.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by femi4: 10:01am On May 21, 2015
Hotstew:
I had a harrowing experience with some agent of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) this morning and this has prompted me to come to the conclusion that the percentage of bad eggs in the NPF is by far more than that of the good ones who stuck to the professionality of policing and maintaining law and order as stipulated by their job description. I am not a resident of Lagos State neither have I visited Lagos in a very long time. The occasional times I visit Lagos is either if I'm on an official assignment from my place of work or I'm visiting my sister (she works with an IT firm at Victoria Island).

I had to visit my sister in Lagos today. She has taken I'll for 3 days and my dad (who is resident in Ondo State) is really worried. He mandated me that I go see what's happening as he will join me later in the day because we live in different cities. (I work in Oshogbo, Osun State). I would have left him to go check my sister up but I'm not unaware of the stress the inherent traffic in Lagos can wreck on an old man. Going with my better judgment, I decided not to drive to Lagos.

For the trip, I packed my laptop bag with just a shirt, jeans trousers and a boxer short since I will be spending just 1 day. I boarded a commercial bus and by 5:31 AM, I was en route already. I call my old man to confirm if he has moved to which he asserted the affirmative.

My journey to Lagos was mostly uneventful and smooth. I never knew a rude awakening was waiting for me as soon as I alighted from the bus. I got off the bus at Berger immediately after the bridge. I'm sure Lagos residents know that this is one of the major terminals for commercial vehicles streaming into Lagos daily. On getting off the bus, I slung my small laptop bag over my shoulder and was descending one of those stairs to go chill out at any restaurant and eat breakfast and wait for my dad who said he as at that time has just gotten to Sagamu.

I was suddenly tapped on the shoulder my a man wearing a white lace sown in the Yoruba bùbá and sóró. He told me to follow him. By default I ignored him and kept going down the stairs. I have heard of several people who have been hypnotized and scammed by strangers in Lagos and I'm not ready to be a victim. All that was on my mind was to see my sister.

As I was walking away, a uniformed policeman ran past me on the stairs. When he got to the base, he corked his rifle and told me to go back to the road and explained why I disobeyed the "police officer" that first tapped me. I told him I didn't know he's a policeman because he didn't show me any identification and he wasn't wearing his uniform. He replied by say "that one na story. Go back up to the road. Respect yourself". I went back to the road. Even though people were much that was passing by, I don't know why these people selected me out of the multitude.

When I got back to the road, the one that previously tapped me asked me what was in my bag. I told him it's my change of clothes. I opened it and showed him the content. He ordered me to give it to him. I did. Then he poured the content on the ground. My shirt, jeans and spare boxers which were the only content of the bag was right there on the dusty ground. This really infuriated me. I asked him why he had to do that, he smiled wickedly and said in Yoruba "Orí ò pé" (literally meaning "your head is not correct"wink I picked up my stuffs and I guess this really pissed her off. He grabbed the bag and the dusty clothes and dropped it in the boot of a green Mazda 626 car. All these while, the uniformed officer has gone back to sit in the back seat of the car.

Then another man also dressed in mufti came and asked me for my phone.
New mufti man: Where are your phones?

Me: They are in my pocket.

New mufti man: Give them to me.

Me: Why? Are you looking for a lost phone?

New mufti man: (Laughs) You are asking me questions abi. Are you into internet fraud? Are you a yahooboy?

This question shocked me because I wasn't expecting such. I never knew this was what they are looking for. My instinct told me to cooperate with him since I don't have any incriminating thing on my phone. I told him I wasn't a fraudulent and unlocked my blackberry Q10 and handed it to him. He looked through. As he was doing that, the other guy on native was stopping other passersby and searching them.

After he looked through my phone, he said to the uniformed man that there was nothing in the phone. I was expecting him to give me my phone and bag and let me go. Then the unexpected happened. He ordered me to get into the car and at the same time, he switched off my phone. I was so angry, I swear if it wasn't that I was in an area where I don't know anybody, I would have punched the crap out of him.

Before he could put the phone in his pocket, I snatched it from him. One instinct said I should run but my better judgment was against it because I didn't do anything wrong. As I grabbed the phone, the guy lunged at me. That. Was how he started punching and shuffling me. I held his shirt at the neck very tight and I used my other hand to press the ON button on my phone. As the scuffle was going on, the other guy in native joined in dragging me. The were pulling me in the direction of their car. I started shouting that they were kidnappers but I kept an eye on the screen of my phone. By this time, people were gathered already by they typical Lagos crowd were just looking. Nobody interfered.

Immediately my phone showed 100% on the screen, this is an indication that it has fully booted, I used all my strength to break free from them, ran a bit because they pursued me. I opened my phone and started taking pictures of them. Though I didn't get any good shot because I was moving backwards and the pictures were blurry, I said I've sent it to my friends and siblings and that by evening, everybody on all social networks will see their faces and identify them.

Just like magic, they stopped harassing me. The one in uniform now came down as said give him his bag. Let him go. That's how I escaped being kidnapped by men of the NPF this morning at Berger. As I write the update, waiting for my dad to arrive so I can take him around, I'm looking at them across the road. They are still at Berger bus top harassing people and extorting money from unfortunate people who fall into their trap.

I hope the new IGP and the incoming govt will do something abt this. Really, Nigeria in the hands of these present crop of police me has gone to the dogs.
Wey the pictures now
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by donciccio: 10:02am On May 21, 2015
Police is your friend they say. In Switzerland that there's no police so who's their friend?

I had similar experience there around August 2014 by the other side of the road. One morning I was traveling driving tho' stopped there to pick my bro coming from Ikeja they just blocked me their Siena car. Asked why I parked there I told them other cars are parked also y me? They requested for my docs I gave them after checking they gave me back and started checking inside my car, checked boot and all bags in the boot. Thereafter they started checking my phone and my laptop. By the time they switched on laptop it hanged, ordinarily it doesn't act that way. As a result of that they begin to delay us my bro started discussing with them and finally gave them 3k not to delay us cos we going across the niger.
I was so furious about the 3k when he told me that I almost dropped him or abort the trip. I asked the leading officer despite showing him my work ID and he still doubt if I'm to small to own a car or he doesn't wish well for his children.

If I'm not mistaking I think the leading officer's name is Zaccheus or Zechariah Akinyele I picked that from his uniform.

@Op- Hotstew, thank God for u.

6 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:02am On May 21, 2015
The same thing once happened to me at Ikotun. Just because I used an ATM machine and I was wearing a gold chain, they stopped me and tried to harrass me.
I punched the fool in the neck when he slapped me for trying to take my phone back from him. Useless thieves.

@OP

Please send a letter to the Lagos State Police Command in Ikeja and give them useful detail on the apperance of the officers. The DPO of that area must know about it because they collect their share of all d money they extort from people.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:03am On May 21, 2015
I believe the OP's account 100%. Those who find this difficult to believe are either incredibly naive, kids or living in a bubble.

8 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:03am On May 21, 2015
hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by donciccio: 10:04am On May 21, 2015
August 20014 I experienced same when I drove going out of Lagos. After their stop and search they couldn't find any incriminating thing so they started delaying us. My bro started discussing with them and gave them 3k.
I was so furious about the 3k when he told me that I almost dropped him or abort the trip. I asked the leading officer despite showing him my work ID and he still doubt if I'm to small to own a car or he doesn't wish well for his children.

If I'm not mistaking I think the leading officer's name is Zaccheus or Zechariah Akinyele I picked that from his uniform.

@Op- Hotstew, thank God for u.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by MicroBox: 10:04am On May 21, 2015
My friend or anybody else.... please and please don't wait to prove you are innocent if at all you know something is fishy, run for your life but watch out for stray bullet. Police are very wicked

3 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Myself2(m): 10:04am On May 21, 2015
OP
I commend your bravery and quick wit.
Well done

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Gboliwe: 10:09am On May 21, 2015
cheesy
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by frisky2good(m): 10:10am On May 21, 2015
They were not planning to take you anywhere because they have nowhere to take you, not even their station. They just wanted to detain you illegally and scare you till you cooperate by going to the nearest ATM.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by fboycaestro12(m): 10:10am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:

No worry....One day it will happen to you

It has happened to me not once not twice....

Lagos police are legal thieves.....One bad thing is that people will stand and be looking them carrying out their bad ordeal

3 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Codyt(m): 10:12am On May 21, 2015
Bonapart:
Too long
Were you forced to read it seriously? Ignorant buzz!

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by 9jatatafo(m): 10:16am On May 21, 2015
OP you be James Bond 007? I beg make you try upload those blurry pics you took. Well for the NPF, they are thieves. Fela don talk am before, dem go see red dem go say na white. Mofos!!! They don't have the right to take your phone and search it. They went too far but I am not surprised.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by VISTIN(m): 10:16am On May 21, 2015
Missing persons everywhere. Those who could not fight like you are still missing.

Tufia kwa!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:18am On May 21, 2015
The one that tried it with me will never forget in his life..I came to pick a friend at ojota,we we're leaving for akure and this police just jumped inside my car. I asked him what my offense was,he said I parked illegally and I will need to follow him to their station.to cut the long story short,na benin-ore express way I drop am after he Don beg tire

12 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by loschivatos(m): 10:23am On May 21, 2015
I hate them with passion,NPF.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Boss13: 10:23am On May 21, 2015
They are not policemen, they are robbers in police uniform. They planned on stealing your phones or valuables or probably kidnap you.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by fboycaestro12(m): 10:26am On May 21, 2015
I think there should be a way we have stop all these harassment. once you're neatly dressed and not on an official wear and you walk in the streets of Lagos. These legal thieves called police will harass you. Wait if truly they are looking for corrupt people why not just go to Abuja, chai boiz don suffer

They have harassed me over and over and they treat you like a thief at their first approach.

One day they arrested one phone engineer I know because he was taking like 5 different phones to repair them at Ikeja. You won't believe the picked him up around 10am and they didn't release him until 7pm in the evening because he have nothing to give them.

This madness is getting out of hand and if we don't stop it. Soon you will see Police officer bring gun to our houses to rob us when they can't find boiz on the street of Lagos again.

Police officer have come up with different names from different crimes even when not listed in Constitution. Do you know since they couldn't find anything with OP they will say he was arrested for wandering when they get him to the station. Shoro Niyen? (that na word) OP and all we need to start a form of campaign against these legal thieves called Police

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rev King May Escape Death By Hanging - Justice, Adeniji Kazeem / Man Who Deceived His Friend To Steal His Tricycle Nabbed 4 Months After (pix) / Court Sentences Internet Fraudster To Six Months In Prison In Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.