Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,794 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44470 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 10:50pm On May 20, 2015
majekdom2:
will I call this paradox or what now. You can't tell me you want something without putting effort to get it. I ll take it as this class of people are living in delusion. There is a difference between wish and want. Now it is a "tougher discrimination ", some companies check the CGPA even as it is a 2 1.
what exactly is the purpose of ur reply to my post earlier.. are u saying the 2:2 and third classes should be discriminated as against what the OP is saying?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by toluxa1(m): 10:50pm On May 20, 2015
Jarus why did you change your nairaland id to xfire
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by emmatok(m): 10:51pm On May 20, 2015
jcmaiah:
Most 2:2 and 3 third class student's are more successful and I keep wondering y?
Because most of them don't bother looking for jobs after graduation, they simply acquire more skills and certification, then go into business.

How many business owners tell you their University grades.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:

a friend of mine did a test recently in Birmingham, England.. it was scheduled for a week, he did his in the third day, there were lots of applicants. If as a huge organisation, you cannot get a stable server for less than 100,000 people, at least make the online tests in batches.. I wonder what you will say about the millions of people that log into Facebook and twitter every minute.
you wanna compare UK to Nigeria in terms of quality of education, rate of employment and technology?? 2 2 in some foreign universities is equivalent to a first class in Nigeria. Go figure.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 10:53pm On May 20, 2015
mrcarter:

Funny seeing 2:2 in this your long essay, only if u know how difficult it's to graduate with 2:2 in some department

seriously. . I know someone very very intelligent in physics dept that finished with 2:2 . I can't imagine what an emoloyer would lose discriminating against him because of his grade.. sometimes its just condition.. not like the person that finished with third class isnt good

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:53pm On May 20, 2015
Demand and supply...
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Dubemkelly(m): 10:56pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
this is not an excuse.. technology has made things easy.. u can easily prepare an online test for thousands of people and get the result after few minutes.. so forget the number of applicants being an issue.. there is discrimination, they assume the first class are better than 2:1, 2:1 are better than 2:2, 2:2 are better than 3rd class.. which is not always the case.. a lot of factors can lead u to make a low grade while in school and it doesn't determine your intellectual standard
Have u ever considered the resources involved in getting those tests conducted? Nigeria is still upcoming in technology, then who's gonna get the job would so get it, some courses for PG in most universities have got criteria. Bottomline: If one doesn't meet up with a particular job requirements, no point whiling away your time, move to the next option as at when available
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
what exactly is the purpose of ur reply to my post earlier.. are u saying the 2:2 and third classes should be discriminated as against what the OP is saying?
like I said, I see no discrimination. Life is never fair. No one remembers the runner up. Work hard to get the prize. There are skills that can be gotten that could put one ahead of the 2 1 candidates.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Tex42(m): 10:58pm On May 20, 2015
CountDracula:
Eeya. Op ur child wil graduate univ wit 3rd class in Jesus name
oh! Your Monika and you dare to use Christ.

Can see the kind of prayers/thoughts your Dracula instinct exudes from God knows where, your head, heart, don't think so.

Nairalanders Sha!

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by tanimola22: 11:02pm On May 20, 2015
Nice write-up, xfire. What you've written is not far from reality. I personally have stories of one or two third class grads, not even 2:2, who're equivalent to 1st or 2:1 in ability and capacity but circumstances made them graduate with a 3rd..The circumstances, which were a combination of family pressure, lateness to school because of no money and a host of other negative factors unrelated to their academic abilities, contributed to their poor academic outing. I must warn that not all third class graduates are in this category.

It's true that some 2:2 or third grads have a lot to prove and will make good employees, going to the ends of the earth to add real value to companies. In reality, and business people know this, it's an excellent strategy to hire people who have something to prove. You use their deepest of desires for validation to grow your own company. Emotion can be a very strong motivator, I tell you. Such employees work with their flesh, blood and soul - all what they have. That's one of the major reasons why Sir Richard Branson hires former prisoners/ex convicts in his firms. I once heard him say that over the last 20 years or so, some of his very best employees have been the ones who had a lot of things to prove - the ex convicts. In this scenario, I would like to liken these ex-convicts to the third class grads who've got a lot of big things to prove. Let's give them a chance.

I've opened a company in Nigeria and in the right time when I've grown the required local and global client-base to make the company a big success, I know those I'll hire.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 20, 2015
Bluetooth2:

I don't know why someone will make a write up to encourage people to graduate with 3rd class, so unfortunate.

I'm sure you saw the Op's disclaimer?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 20, 2015
tanimola22:
Nice write-up, xfire. What you've written is not far from reality. I personally have stories of one or two third class grads, not even 2:2, who're equivalent to 1st or 2:1 in ability and capacity but circumstances made them graduate with a 3rd..The circumstances, which were a combination of family pressure, lateness to school because of no money and a host of other negative factors unrelated to their academic abilities, contributed to their poor academic outing. I must warn that not all third class graduates are in this category.

It's true that some 2:2 or third grads have a lot to prove and will make good employees, going to the ends of the earth to add real value to companies. In reality, and business people know this, it's an excellent strategy to hire people who have something to prove. You use their deepest of desires for validation to grow your own company. Emotion can be a very strong motivator, I tell you. Such employees work with their flesh, blood and soul - all what they have. That's one of the major reasons why Sir Richard Branson hires former prisoners/ex convicts in his firms. I once heard him say that over the last 20 years or so, some of his very best employees have been the ones who had a lot of things to prove - the ex convicts. In this scenario, I would like to liken these ex-convicts to the third class grads who've got a lot of big things to prove. Let's give them a chance.

I've opened a company in Nigeria and in the right time when I've grown the required local and global client-base to make the company a big success, I know those I'll hire.
sorry for the mention
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 11:09pm On May 20, 2015
majekdom2:
like I said, I see no discrimination. Life is never fair. No one remembers the runner up. Work hard to get the prize. There are skills that can be gotten that could put one ahead of the 2 1 candidates.
and what if u are unfortunate not to get the prize, would u like to be discriminated?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 20, 2015
I graduated with 2.2 and heaven will not fall. Let the employers go to hell. I will make it without their impetus. And if you are a first class student reading this post, especially some of you that read Community Development or Secretarial Studies, I'm far better than you are.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by tanimola22: 11:13pm On May 20, 2015
toluxa1:

These are two different people. Jarus is an economist, xfire is an engineer..Although I agree that both could be in the same industry at the current time.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 11:13pm On May 20, 2015
Dubemkelly:

Have u ever considered the resources involved in getting those tests conducted? Nigeria is still upcoming in technology, then who's gonna get the job would so get it, some courses for PG in most universities have got criteria. Bottomline: If one doesn't meet up with a particular job requirements, no point whiling away your time, move to the next option as at when available
the HR dept can deal with whatever resource needed.. What Technology does a mere online test need that u are saying Nigeria is upcoming? Something My alma mater (Unilag) do CBT every year for post utme and also some courses in the school uses CBT.. so whats the biggie..? Of course Nigeria is coming up in technology but we are not so low that we cant perform a mere CBT.. like I said, it can be done in streams.

Your bottom line is not consistent with my post, my point has been that there is no need discriminating against some set of graduates..thats all

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
and what if u are unfortunate not to get the prize, would u like to be discriminated?
that's why I said, one should garner skills that puts one ahead in the game. I don't see any discrimination. It's the employers business, they know what they want and go for what's best for them. It is left to the so called " discriminated " to prove to them they are perhaps wrong and not just feel discriminated.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 11:16pm On May 20, 2015
majekdom2:
that's why I said, one should garner skills that puts one ahead in the game. I don't see any discrimination. It's the employers business, they know what they want and go for what's best for them. It is left to the so called " discriminated " to prove to them they are perhaps wrong and not just feel discriminated.

am not saying u shouldn't gather skills.. even a first class graduate should gather skills.. we are giving reasons why the orientation of employers may be wrong, they may think what they are doing is right but it doesn't make it the best option. . So the focus is on the employers orientation now and not the discriminated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by koyyess: 11:17pm On May 20, 2015
What's the op talking about? Are you trying to say that 2.2 and 3rd class graduates don't get jobs? Do you know the number of 2.1 graduates that are jobless? The talk that 2.1 graduates and above get more job opportunities is a big lie please -it's just a silly excuse they use to short list candidates. As far as this country is concerned,there is no set standard. If you have no connection or years of experience on a particular job role, your certificate is useless. We are all feeling the heat so let's stop the beefing.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
the HR dept can deal with whatever resource needed.. What Technology does a mere online test need that u are saying Nigeria is upcoming? Something My alma mater (Unilag) do CBT every year for post utme and also some courses in the school uses CBT.. so whats the biggie..? Of course Nigeria is coming up in technology but we are not so low that we cant perform a mere CBT.. like I said, it can be done in streams.

Your bottom line is not consistent with my post, my point has been that there is no need discriminating against some set of graduates..thats all
will you bear the cost? If perhaps you are asked to pay, you may call it scam. You don't get this still.... in a country like Nigeria, where the rate of unemployment is high, these guys feel there are more than enough talents.what these class of graduates need to do is equip, garner skill that gives them an edge. I tell you an employer prefers a 2 2 grad with transferrable skills than a 2 1 fresh grad with no useful skills to him.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Dubemkelly(m): 11:23pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:

You can as well pay for JOB online tests since your alma mater Unilag does such... Guy every organisation has a specified set of employees in mind before recruiting. The HR and the ICT depts have got budgets too so if they state out what they want, so be it, by the way last I checked there were cut off points for post utme in the universities. The online thingy involves some finance
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Ibrahim28(m): 11:23pm On May 20, 2015
Dats y I envy architecture....if not in academia no body go ask for ur grade...just design

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:

am not saying u shouldn't gather skills.. even a first class graduate should gather skills.. we are giving reasons why the orientation of employers may be wrong, they may think what they are doing is right but it doesn't make it the best option. . So the focus is on the employers orientation now and not the discriminated
The employers have got no orientation MR. It may be that the best performers have been 2 1 and 1 1 grads. It may be that from experience these class of grads have shown more motivation. Like I said, each company to its own. I have written tests in multinationals where 2 2 grads were also. It is no discrimination , it's about HR experience and policies.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 20, 2015
toluxa1:

LOL.

Xfire is not Jarus o
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:26pm On May 20, 2015
tanimola22:

These are two different people. Jarus is an economist, xfire is an engineer..Although I agree that both could be in the same industry at the current time.

T baba, please shoot me a PM or email to jarushub@gmail.com

Been wanting to contact you for few days now.

Thanks
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 20, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I graduated with 2.2 and heaven will not fall. Let the employers go to hell. I will make it without their impetus. And if you are first class student reading this post, especially some of you that read Communing Development or Secretarial Studies, I'm far better than you are.

Care to expatiate further on this?

I studied economics.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 11:30pm On May 20, 2015
majekdom2:
The employers have got no orientation MR. It may be that the best performers have been 2 1 and 1 1 grads. It may be that from experience these class of grads have shown more motivation. Like I said, each company to its own. I have written tests in multinationals where 2 2 grads were also. It is no discrimination , it's about HR experience and policies.
so what is discrimination to you if its not discrimination
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 11:32pm On May 20, 2015
Dubemkelly:

You can as well pay for JOB online tests since your alma mater Unilag does such... Guy every organisation has a specified set of employees in mind before recruiting. The HR and the ICT depts have got budgets too so if they state out what they want, so be it, by the way last I checked there were cut off points for post utme in the universities. The online thingy involves some finance
I bet the online stuff will save more cost than having to do tests in a hard copy and looking for personnels to score them.. do ur research
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 11:33pm On May 20, 2015
majekdom2:
will you bear the cost? If perhaps you are asked to pay, you may call it scam. You don't get this still.... in a country like Nigeria, where the rate of unemployment is high, these guys feel there are more than enough talents.what these class of graduates need to do is equip, garner skill that gives them an edge. I tell you an employer prefers a 2 2 grad with transferrable skills than a 2 1 fresh grad with no useful skills to him.
CBTs are cost effective and easier to carry out dude. Just program the computer to do what it ought to do.. rather than doing it in hard copies for crying out loud
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 20, 2015
haibe:
so what is discrimination to you if its not discrimination
discrimination is simply when one's expertise, knowledge and qualification matches the [b]job requirements and responsibilities [/b]but one is being denied. Pls read and understand the bolded. If the HR says this is what they require, it is what they require as at that time. You can't call one's choice discrimination because it does not suit you.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by emmatok(m): 11:37pm On May 20, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I graduated with 2.2 and heaven will not fall. Let the employers go to hell. I will make it without their impetus. And if you are a first class student reading this post, especially some of you that read Communing Development or Secretarial Studies, I'm far better than you are.

The irony is that these first class and 2.1 graduates are the most unemployed set of graduates in Nigeria.
Most of them believe their grades must give them automatic jobs so they keep looking for jobs.

Its difficult to see 2.2 and Third class graduate looking for jobs since they know the employers mentality.
They simply create their own jobs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Air Force : Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruit Training - Batch B / Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle / Elf/total Is Recruiting Now! [from Today's Papers]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.