Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop (44493 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities / Australia Government MSc Scholarship For Nigerians- 3rd Class Can Apply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 7:47am On May 21, 2015
chyna4luv:

Please, that is NOT true. when I was in school, I usually think that if you dont make upper crredit or distinction it will be hard to get good job. I have come to realize that your ability, smartness, potentials, skills is what counts when it comes to jobhunting.

Most of the successful people in the world today, had poor result. infact, I had HND lower credit, as I speak to you now, I am working with a bank with good pay. My deptl presido, came out with distinction, but he is still looking for job.

Though, passing out in good grades are good BUT its not a ticket to successful or getting a good job.

#GoodMorning
Exactly what have been trying to point out. You are smart, you are smart... regardless of your degree, a smart dude will always find a way.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Souljaboi1: 7:47am On May 21, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I can swear that, in my 5 years at Lautech, I never attended any lecture intentionally except whenever a lecturer surfaces at the lecture hall while I'm playing with my friends. This is because I've never thought any certificate can make my life better. I saw lecture notes of final year students of Maths/Edu frm a certain university, I tell you, if I'm already slumbering when questions from those notes are tabled before me, I will solve them with a speed of light despite that I studied Animal Science. And if a grad of Pure and Applied Maths frm Lautech and those Maths/Edu grads seek employment with Teaching Service Commission, they would say the former is not a qualified teacher. Bunch of jokers! If those dudes graduate frm Lautech after 8 years for a 5-year course, they should go for thanksgiving in a cathedral.

From F.A.G shed to 1000LT. The hustle was real bro . I feel you.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by doyinbaby(f): 7:54am On May 21, 2015
phyllosilicate:
You have spoken well. One of the reasons employers uses 2.1 and above as a criteria is to stream line the number of applicant not because 2.2 and 3rd graduates are not smart.
. Exactly they ask for second class and first class to reduce the number of applicants,imagine if they ask 3rd class applicant go so plenty they will not know how to screen and shortlist them
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 7:57am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
if you are an individual with great understanding skills, you will understand, I meant the topic itself is misleading as I don't see any discrimination. It's an employer's choice, all these rants on here would solve any poo. This pity seeking mentality is why some are still where they are.
this comment is more clueless. I still insist, read it! Ignorance nah sickness.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by pdirisu(m): 7:59am On May 21, 2015
I graduated with 2.2 degree in Agric Economics and Extension will be going for youth service come june 2 posted to Ogun state. During my first year in school because of my age I was clueless, playful nd the damage was done after failing CHEM 101, MTH 111, MTH 112, PHY 171 and PHY 190 my GP was 0.33. I was on Probation 2, when I collected my result I went to the back of my department nd was crying then one man came nd meant me crying, he asked me what was wrong I told him, he now said IF YOU CHANNEL ALL THIS ENERGY U RE USING TO CRY INTO YOUR STUDIES U WILL MAKE IT. That statement changed my life, I made a vow to chase for 2.1 though I was dreaming I had a burning desire that kept me going, in my second semester 100L I was able to leave probation. In 200L first semester I reduced my carry over units from 14units to 7units (I passed PHY 190, CHEM 101 while MTH111, MTH 112 nd PHY 171 returned). Let me cut d story short I later graduated with a CGPA of 3.39. I had of GP of 5.00 twice (first nd second semester) through out my 500Level. I even organize tutorials in statistics, econometrics for my mates who were potential 2.1 nd first class grad.. I know my 2.2 is poor that I deserved better but that is in the past.. I ve already figured out my Road map to success so help me God.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by stan241(m): 8:04am On May 21, 2015
I'd like to share.....In my case i was barely ever in school due to my ailing health condition, it was either a hospital bed, emergency ward or at home receiving treatment, i could count the number of times i was in school and the lecturers in the department could care less, missed exams, tests and term papers and had an extra year( call it 2 due to the ASUU ish) and seems its going to be a 3rd class when they through with computation now I'm not giving excuses for my inadequacies but i know I'm better than whatever is written on that paper at the end of it, my course adviser says to go for my post-graduate immediately after service and he'd fix me up in the dpt, have relations who have all assured me that once I'm through, getting a job won't be a prob, at a point i even thought of re-writing jamb and starting all over again but declined, its all about grace, luck and in the Nigerian context( who u know)...........@ op i really appreciate this piece of yours and in the end as long as you can defend whatever grade it is you have come out with, keep your chin up and work to improve your skills or improve on the 2.2 or 3rd class you have got no need dwelling on one's mistakes...sorry for the epistle
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 8:12am On May 21, 2015
haibe:
okay I see english is ur problem. . You may need to do a reasearch on the word discrimination
it is discrimination to you because you feel you are victim. Take an employer to court on his choice and see if you would win.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by pdirisu(m): 8:19am On May 21, 2015
stan241:
I'd like to share.....In my case i was barely ever in school due to my ailing health condition, it was either a hospital bed, emergency ward or at home receiving treatment, i could count the number of times i was in school and the lecturers in the department could care less, missed exams, tests and term papers and had an extra year( call it 2 due to the ASUU ish) and seems its going to be a 3rd class when they through with computation now I'm not giving excuses for my inadequacies but i know I'm better than whatever is written on that paper at the end of it, my course adviser says to go for my post-graduate immediately after service and he'd fix me up in the dpt, have relations who have all assured me that once I'm through, getting a job won't be a prob, at a point i even thought of re-writing jamb and starting all over again but declined, its all about grace, luck and in the Nigerian context( who u know)...........@ op i really appreciate this piece of yours and in the end as long as you can defend whatever grade it is you have come out with, keep your chin up and work to improve your skills or improve on the 2.2 or 3rd class you have got no need dwelling on one's mistakes...sorry for the epistle
That is the fact as long as u can defend ur degree
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Jman06(m): 8:19am On May 21, 2015
CFCfan:

In the US, scoring 49 and 59 will earn u an F grade. 69 is a D grade, lower than a C (or C-).
Yet people easily graduate top of their classes in the US. What and what make the grading? I mean what and what do they examine students on? I feel the system there is such that makes it easier for any serious student to graduate top.
I know many students who got a lower degree in Nigeria only to go abroad and finish top in their PGs. One had a 2-1 in Biochemistry (cgpa=3.54) from my school in Nigeria but got an A" at masters level in the UK.
My point is that our educational system isn't as bad as we make it look. If it is, our students wouldn't be excelling in the manner they do when they go abroad.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by dustydee: 8:20am On May 21, 2015
xfire:
This is based solely on my personal opinion and is not binding on anyone or organization. It is however to encourage all graduates that they can succeed in life regardless of their grade. Read on:

SOURCE: http://www.jarushub.com/6-reasons-why-discrimination-against-2-2-and-3rd-class-graduates-should-stop/

I agree. I graduated with a 2.1 and there are some of my course mates that graduated with 2.2 that are very good technically and can compete with some 2.1 and 1st class graduates.
One graduated with a 2.2 (CGPA 3.48) because his result, in one of the courses we took, (Workshop practice-which was quite easy) was missing and he had to resit (under a different lecturer who was probably not as friendly as the first one).
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 8:33am On May 21, 2015
1st class candidates are employee materials,2nd and 3rd class are mostly employers.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 8:36am On May 21, 2015
Jman06:
Yet people easily graduate top of their classes in the US. What and what make the grading? I mean what and what do they examine students on? I feel the system there is such that makes it easier for any serious student to graduate top.
I know many students who got a lower degree in Nigeria only to go abroad and finish top in their PGs. One had a 2-1 in Biochemistry (cgpa=3.54) from my school in Nigeria but got an A" at masters level in the UK.
My point is that our educational system isn't as bad as we make it look. If it is, our students wouldn't be excelling in the manner they do when they go abroad.
I can only speak for the Social science programs. The essay portion of our exams receive the highest portion of grades (say 60 or 70%). And most times, the final exam only comprises between 25-30% of your final grade for a class.
Thus, a student has to be diligent in turning in assignments and papers as at when due, and do well in the midterm exam in order to pass a class.

I believe Nigerian students do well in Western universities because the professors deemphasize cramming, and encourage students to learn the concepts of the material and how to apply the concepts to solve problems.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by chinedujazzy(m): 8:37am On May 21, 2015
Here is an opportunity to become your own boss as.... ROYAL SAINTS VOCATIONAL TRAINING INSTITUTE(RSTVI)Awka,In affiliation with AKANU IBIAM FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC unwana,Afikpo,Ebonyi State Offers Professional Diploma in the following courses: 1)Catering and Hotel Management. 2)Website Design and Development. 3)Craft(Bead Making). 4)Computer science/software and Hardware Repairs and Maintenance. 5)Clothing and Textile Development. 6)Cosmetology. 7)Fashion and Design. coolHair Dressing. 9)Decoration/Event Management. 10)Electronics Repairs and Maintenance. Rush now and obtain Your admission forms at #1,300 only@Royal saints International School Awka@No19 Okechi umudiana,Amikwo,Behind Ecobank Ziks Avenue,P.O BOX 676 Awka. For enquiries call 08189606888,07086938950. Grab Your opportunity Now and Become your own Boss,rather than staying at home waiting for Unavailable Jobs.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Dolypson04(m): 8:40am On May 21, 2015
To me, education is not all solely abt getting employed but been empowered to be an employer rather live all ur life as an employee. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg to mention but a few are all sch drop outs. So if u av 2.2, pass or third class you even luckier than those aforementioned. Grade doesn't determine ur value, its ur brain that does!

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Jman06(m): 8:56am On May 21, 2015
CFCfan:

I can only speak for the Social science programs. The essay portion of our exams receive the highest portion of grades (say 60 or 70%). And most times, the final exam only comprises between 25-30% of your final grade for a class.
Thus, a student has to be diligent in turning in assignments and papers as at when due, and do well in the midterm exam in order to pass a class.

I believe Nigerian students do well in Western universities because the professors deemphasize cramming, and encourage students to learn the concepts of the material and how to apply the concepts to solve problems.

That makes it easier then.

It's not about the professor deemphasizing cramming or anything of such. If a student wasn't worth his grade from a Nigerian university, there's no way he could go all the way from passing all his pre-admission screenings to securing a p.g admission and then cap it all up by graduating top of his class in the Almighty Western universities.

We keep denigrating our own as if it's all rosy in the west.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 9:01am On May 21, 2015
What about the discrimination against 2sittings at 0'levels,HND holders,NCE holders, some graduates of certain courses... The best is to graduate with good grades(I hope students are reading this)However,its too late to correct such past mistake 2:2,3rd class,2sittings etc can't be undone...Life generally isn't fair,however,if you fall under any of these categories you still have hope,just pray for God's favour. I tell you,in Nigeria,even 1st class graduates dey hussle.God's favour is best.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by leppyj(m): 9:15am On May 21, 2015
Nigeria is a certificate and grade driven country, its either d discrimination between Bsc and HND graduates, or between the grades u came out with in d university, university u graduated from, discrimination between courses studied in Polytechnics ( engineering,accounting and architecture) are superior to other courses in the labour market most especially in the civil service. It is sad,but that is how it is. Until the matter is corrected by the Government,graduates have to look inward and do the needful to add value to their lives and respective CVs or resumes as d case may be, self employment should not b discarded too.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
it is discrimination to you because you feel you are victim. Take an employer to court on his choice and see if you would win.
who says am a victim? U still dont get it.. ur point is like saying if a white company refuses to employ black people, it isn't discrimination because its their choice. ., are you kidding me?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2015
CFCfan:

In the US, scoring 49 and 59 will earn u an F grade. 69 is a D grade, lower than a C (or C-).
of course we use the british standard and not US I guess.. The way you frame the scores will depend on a lot of factors anyway
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Holatunde007(m): 9:41am On May 21, 2015
Pls what's is the GPA difference btw 1.1, 2.1, 2.2 and 3rd class.......am a product of poly I can't really comprehend the usefulness of those num u pipu were mentioning, thou I pass my ND with Upper credit and with a GPA of 3.70, what could dis fall under if I were to be in uni?
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Agbegilodo: 9:42am On May 21, 2015
xfire:
This is based solely on my personal opinion and is not binding on anyone or organization. It is however to encourage all graduates that they can succeed in life regardless of their grade. Read on:

SOURCE: http://www.jarushub.com/6-reasons-why-discrimination-against-2-2-and-3rd-class-graduates-should-stop/

If you had spent half of time you used to write this thesis on studying in the University. ..you would have made a minimum of 2:1.... anyway I'm just passing through....
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 9:43am On May 21, 2015
haibe:
who says am a victim? U still dont get it.. ur point is like saying if a white company refuses to employ black people, it isn't discrimination because its their choice. ., are you kidding me?
Like I said, it's no discrimination with justifiable reasons. So which and which company has refused to employ 2 2 grads, do you mean all employees in Nigeria are 2 1 grads and no fresh 2 2 grad gets employed in Nigeria. The fact that a company chooses at sometime to employ 2 1 grad does not mean they don't have or won't recruit a 2 2 grad whose skills are needed. It is quite unfortunate majority on here are fresh grads hence the reason for the rants.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 9:48am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
Like I said, it's no discrimination with justifiable reasons. So which and which company has refused to employ 2 2 grads, do you mean all employees in Nigeria are 2 1 grads and no fresh 2 2 grad gets employed in Nigeria. The fact that a company chooses at sometime to employ 2 1 grad does not mean they don't have or won't recruit a 2 2 grad whose skills are needed. It is quite unfortunate majority on here are fresh grads hence the reason for the rants.
lol the problem am having now is your use of English. . Anyway lets just forget it
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Mixty: 9:48am On May 21, 2015
Agbegilodo:

If you had spent half of time you used to write this thesis on studying in the University. ..you would have made a minimum of 2:1.... anyway I'm just passing through....
Did you read the article at all? I am sure you are one of those dumb ass people who will quickly jump to writing answers without reading the question. The Op graduated with a strong 2.1 and is gainfully employed.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by PrinceMario(m): 9:57am On May 21, 2015
ThoniaSlim:

God bless you! It gets on my freaking nerves when people make it look like your first class wasn't earned or is nothing due to their own personal insecurities!
I graduated top of my class and I can tell you it wasn't easy! Yes I was abroad but still I had to juggle between classes and a part time job. I basically had no social life especially in my final year!

I'm not saying those with less than a 2:1 aren't smart but seriously if you still in school, I beg you aim high! The opportunities and doors it opens is amazing. I'm on my third job since I graduated in 2013 and the opportunities keep coming that I'm the one turning them down.
You're such an inspiration to some us.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 9:58am On May 21, 2015
haibe:
lol the problem am having now is your use of English. . Anyway lets just forget it
that's the problem a prosecutor or defendant may have in a court room. My preference for a certain class of individuals does not directly mean I am discriminating against other classes, As I may have had an unimpressive result from the latter in time past. grin
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by haibe(m): 10:01am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
that's the problem a prosecutor or defendant may have in a court room. My preference for a certain class of individuals does not directly mean I am discriminating against other classes, As I may have had an unimpressive result from the latter in time past. grin
okay oo
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by stevenakolo: 10:03am On May 21, 2015
If school drop outs are succeeding, you have no excuse irrespective of the grade you graduated with to fail.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:13am On May 21, 2015
shadowgwalker:
this comment is more clueless. I still insist, read it! Ignorance nah sickness.
ok, I have read through , it was not different from my initial thought. So tell me are there no 2 1 graduates who at sometime possess all the attributes the OP put up ? If yes, this thread is redundant.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by Nobody: 10:16am On May 21, 2015
majekdom2:
ok, I have read through , it was not different from my initial thought. So tell me are there no 2 1 graduates who at sometime possess all the attributes the OP put up ? If yes, this thread is redundant.
u didn't get his message... U had ur own opinion already. So nothing written up there will make sense to u.
Re: 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop by mrbeam: 10:25am On May 21, 2015
shoro niyen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Air Force : Successful Candidates For 2017 Recruit Training - Batch B / Elf/total Is Recruiting Now! [from Today's Papers] / Nigerian Customs Recruitment 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.