Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,892 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Luis Figo Withdraws From Fifa Race: The Statement In Full - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Luis Figo Withdraws From Fifa Race: The Statement In Full (379 Views)

How NFF Mismanaged N251m From FIFA / Cristiano Ronaldo Is Not Portugal’s Best Ever - Luis Figo / Luis Figo Withdraws From FIFA Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Luis Figo Withdraws From Fifa Race: The Statement In Full by Benosky1(m): 8:30am On May 22, 2015

Luis Figo has pulled out of the race to be named Fifa president, leaving Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein as the sole candidate against Sepp Blatter.

The former Portugal international had intended to stand against incumbent Sepp Blatter along with Prince Ali and Michael van Praag. Van Praag withdrew his candidacy earlier on Thursday in order to lend his support to Prince Ali and revealed Luis Figo had also been contemplating whether or not to pull out. And Figo has now released a statement to confirm he will not stand for the post, taking a stunning swipe at the election process.

"Over the past few months I have not only witnessed that desire [for change], I have witnessed consecutive incidents, all over the world, that should shame anyone who desires soccer to be free, clean and democratic," his statement reads.

"I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing Fifa leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this.

I saw it with my own eyes. "The candidates were prevented from addressing federations at congresses while one of the candidates always gave speeches on his own from the rostrum.

There has not been a single public debate about each candidate's proposals. "This [election] process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man - something I refuse to go along with.

"That is why, after a personal reflection and sharing views with two other candidates in this process, I believe that what is going to happen on May 29 in Zurich is not a normal electoral act. "And because it is not, don't count on me.

My decision is made, I will not stand in what is being called an election for the Fifa presidency.

"I offer my deepest thanks to all those who have supported me and I ask them to keep alive their desire for a regeneration which, though it may take some time, will come."

(1) (Reply)

Jose Mourinho Finally Wins Manager Of The Season / Rio Ferdinand Retires From Football / Interpol Puts Ex-fifa Officials On Its Wanted List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.