Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,851 members, 7,802,730 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? (9591 Views)

Onitsha Market Closed Down Due To Protest / Any Idea ? (importation Of Perfume, Deodorant And Other Body Products) / Any Idea Of An Investment That Gives U Constant Money Monthly Gurantee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by bani(m): 6:08pm On Sep 15, 2006
well i do wonder what all the hype about some foreign label , ive been a receipient of clothes and footwears from folks abroad especially uk, and i have had cos to question the quality of some of these wears with what i get in naija here. a classic case wa when my bro' got my dad a slippers from 'jand' and not wanting to be let down i got one for him from my able cobbler 'gbenga', and funny enough the 'janded slippers didnt last up to a month (it wasnt even worn dat much), while the one i gave the old man is still serving him till now so also all the ones he makes for me.
ive been aroung 'ariara' market in aba and i was stunned at the skills and knowledge the guys there have, but wrong implementation. though their excuse is due to high tarrifs and running cost by the goverment, the have to use low cost materials to make better gains. if the government could encoutage them we would have more depoartmental stores sporting naija wears.
seriously one needs to take a tour to ariara and onitsha markets to see what these guys could do , if encouraged
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 6:15pm On Sep 15, 2006
Gigitte, we will never reach common ground but that makes our world so interesting that there are tons of various characters! You are are a typically traditional Naija girl or woman who despises the West and its achievements and I am a modern Naija man who embraces the West without surrending or giving up our traditional Nigerianess, take out the best of both and make something new that is the way to "progress"kiss

PS: You are the only person I have met who isn´t fond of those pictures , although Malaysia is a country that grew out of heavily criticizing colonialim and the West it nevertheless managed pretty well to integrate its own culture with that of the West. You will find better hospitals and universities and high tech centres in Malaysia than in the UK, its former colonial master. that was their way towards modernity. Malays are very modern but also very traditional as well!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2006
bani, yes foster our local knowledge and products but we do have to sell them in nice wrappings, with good marketing methods and in cool and snazzy stores, that is good for our country!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 15, 2006
@jeoma

TM Lewin is on the ground floor at the Silverbird galleria, ahmadu belllo way victoria island

i think there is still an official store on awolow way in ikoyi

though i would say if you are looking to buy a shirt buy at least on from Davida, her shop is somewhere in victoria island though i'm told she sells in outlets in abuja.

personally i intend on getting one as soon as i can afford one(almost the same price as a TMlewin)

Have no idea why woolworths closed down but the news is stale cos they closed downlast year besides their clothes did not cater for african sthyle their were too many pastel colours and corduroy the only thing i found it worthwhile were buying tights for when i wanted to travel.

Bras at 1000 is not expensive o ! many shops even small ones in Naija sell good quality bras for even more.
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by gigitte(f): 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2006
lol@ salsera, the bras that were being sold at woolies did not merit 1000 naira in any way

as for you constantin, wow so now i am a typical traditional naija girl/woman, bwahahhhhhhhhhahaahah, i'm probably more enlightened than you are. obviously, you can't read, because i dont know how anyone would read my posts and come up with the conclusions you are coming up with.

goodbye, because i have no time for such
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by gaby(m): 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2006
Hey gigite love your brace zo schatig, sorry dat was dutch (so cute)would like to know what part of naija u are from you are such a pretty babe
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2006
Gigette, I was not insulting you by saying you are a traditional girl or woman whereas you bombard me with insults! Even though we both seem to talk on cross purpose, I like you nonetheless kiss
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by yemmydavid(m): 12:08am On Sep 16, 2006
woolsworth is on ADEOLA ODEKU IN V.I, T.M has a shop in d GALLERIA and anoda in the PALMS.guess they have other outlets.
a shirt in T.M Shop is like 8k
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by chumas(m): 5:31am On Sep 16, 2006
@constantin,

You are lucky I only come on line early in the morning before I get ready for work. You would have been hearing more from me. Gigitte is a very smart girl and if you do not recognize that, then I am really sorry for you. You showed us pictures of shopping malls and tall buildings, was that to impress us? The Western world are now trying to be environmentally friendly and Gigitte asked you about Global warming issues. I have not seen any reply from you.

Tall buildings do not impress me. I am a British born Nigerian and I have seen it all. We do not have to go that route to be advanced. Our problem is within ourselves, we need to empower the right people to achieve all the goood things that are there for us. We have the natural resources but we lack governance. We need people to think Nigeria first before we can progress. We do not want to embrace the foreing culture because that is not who we are. Nigeria is struggling now because the system of government that was imposed on us was by the British who did not really care about our well beign. We should progress in our direction and not copying others!!!

We are building new malls in Nigeria and that is a fact but we will not achieve a great success if we do not embrace our traditional values and make them visible within the big walls of those malls. We should not be thinking Oyinbo Oyinbo all the time because they do not think about you over here. We certainly do not want unhealthy fast food shops in Naija. We do not want the health hazards associated with that as we can not handle it yet. You should be ashamed of those pictures you pasted on this site, you just wasted good space for important discussion.

Chuma
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by gigitte(f): 5:44am On Sep 16, 2006
@ chumas
thanks! maybe constantin will listen to you if not me hehe. instead of us to learn from the mistakes made, we just want to blindly do follow follow. how can fast food be a good thing? na wah oh

@gaby, thks! as for where im from. ekiti parapo, represent!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by bani(m): 6:04am On Sep 16, 2006
i wasnt saying malls arent cool,i was just raising an awareness on local content. i basically have no biff with the likes of palm mall (afterall they give a good bargain ) .
also theres no biff on western concepts of living, but we have to take it at pace where the mindset of naija pikin developes with it, thats why we are having a serious 'condition of living' divide the masses cannot appreciate the infrastructures or ideas you are trying to build.
and not every concept from the west is ideal for us down here, we should be able to sift the chaff from the grain. we need to keep our naija identity
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 11:32am On Sep 16, 2006
chumas, I am sure you haven´t read properly what I said otherwise you wouldn´t have replied the way you did. Where did I insult Gigitte?I only said that I disagree with her on some points but I do like her! I even sent her a kiss kissbut she insulted me.
Isn´t india doing a lot that is typically Indian, same with China same with Malaysia Where did i say to copy the west, I made an appeal for INTEGRATION: LET´S TAKE OUT THE BEST OF THE WEST AND ADAPT IT TO OUR OWN CULTURE; once again for all!!! smiley
Don´t you think that Malaysia and Singapore are environmentally friendly I am not talking about China and India. lOOK IT UP PROPERLY WHAT THESE TWO NATIONS ARE DOING FOR BEING ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLINESS. They are both above the UK.

One question I cannot comprehend is why do we nigerians always like to travel abroad enriching the Western nations by buying their products while refusing to bring franchise to naija would help to create jobs and fight poverty, and keep on complaing how bad our country is, ooo! On bringing franchise to naija, that doesn´t mean not to add local content. i am not a fan of 100% copying! I DIDN´T SAY THAT!!!!

ONE MORE THING: let´s stop to clink always to colonialism and take it for an excuse for everything! the wounds are still fresh but we need to overcome them, look forward and don´t look back! that is what indian and Malaysia did, too . Two countries that have been colonized by the british as well.
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 11:40am On Sep 16, 2006
we need to keep our naija identity

bani, that is what i want, too. and all Africans probably, too. Even if you look at Arab or Asian architectural structures you will notice the typical Asian design of highrises and other building! Building high-rises doesn´t mean that you copy what the west does, it can also be an expression of your own art and culture. I am studying architeture, so I know what i am talking about!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 12:14pm On Sep 16, 2006
one more thing, let´s also stop to blame government! Of course, governance can be a mighty hindrance towards "development". TO MAKE A COUNTRY FLOURISH IT NEEDS THE HELP OF EVERY INDIVIDUAL AND NOT JUST OF A SINGLE PRESIDENT AND A HANDFUL OF MINITERS. IT NEEDS STRENGTH AND DISCIPLINE!!!! ( and it even starts with keeping our roads and houses clean and proper)
Is Nigerian society/family really supporting and promoting the indivual and its talents? Try to open a business in Nigeria and wait how many people will knock at your door and ask you for money. Once you gave them money, others will come , you try to integrate them into your business but they don´t want to work they way it is conducive to your company, (because they know that they have a "milking cow"wink once you start to be more severe with them the real quarrel starts and it quickly melts down that some members of the family go as far as to start destroying you and your business (often with voodoo). I know cases from my own family. There are many people around in Naija that might even be jealous of you when your child succeeds in school or you graduated brilliantly from university. "Family" in a larger sense of the word members might go as far as to destroy/kill you. How often does one read and hear that someone died "after a brief illness"!

Ok, I don´t want to enlarge on it further because this is a sociological topic of its own! (but if we want to promote our Nigerianess we need to give also more freedom to the individual and its talents, that doesn´t mean that when someone succeeds one should´t help his or her "family". This is part of african culture, thinking in collective terms and we need to preserve that, too!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by gigitte(f): 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2006
@constantin

you know u insulted my intelligence by coming up with those conclusions that you did, no one else who read my posts and commented came up with the conclusion that i hate the west and its achievements and i want naija to remain in a backwards state, no one. i still love you but i seriously had to wonder if you can read. because how did you read what i wrote and start drawing those conclusions

but if you believe it was an insult, my sincerest apologies and a warm wet kiss. lol
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Constantin: 6:49pm On Sep 16, 2006
Ok. let´s just bury our bone of contention, maybe it was just all based on a some form of psychologically cognitive miscomprehension on my side.

PLEASE ALSO ACCEPT MY APOLOGY kissAND MAY I JUST OFFER YOU THIS MUSIC VIDEO AS A SIGN FOR IT smiley It is a sad but a very beautiful and heart-warming song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYY_dqSN32w&mode=related&search=
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by bani(m): 7:48pm On Sep 16, 2006
well wish all conflicts could be settled thise way, maybe this worl would be a happier place
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by chumas(m): 6:13am On Sep 17, 2006
I am glad that Constantin has apologized to gigitte. So let me start by answering one of the questions put foward by constantin.

We find it difficult to bring franchises over to Nigeria simply because of our ineadequate infrastructures. Electricity is a major concern to these foreign investors and they will keep telling you that untill they are blue in the face. They wonder how they could cover costs based on running generators 75% of the time. It is possible to get round that but you have to convince them. I have been through that and it has not been easy. The road network is in shambles, safety is an issue also when they have to supply you with almost 90% of the material you need. Our insurance companies do not cover such business ventures and they just string you along. If you go with the insurance companies over here, they charge you so much based on the safety issues in Nigeria.

We have to secure our Police Authorities, infrastructure etc before we can project to what we really want to achieve. We are trying to walk before crawling and that is why we take a step foward and 20 steps backwards. We need to get the foundation right my people. With a lousy foundation, any house we build will collapse. We need to stop the hunger in the society, pay the Police their salaries so that they will stop financing the armed robbers!!

PLEASE GIGITTE AND CO. LET US START FROM THIS THREAD TO ACCESS WAYS TO HELP BUILD THE NATION FROM THE FOUNDATION. WE HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO, HOW DO WE START? Our leaders are all theives and we know that they know nothing at all except for a few of them. How do we grow?

Chuma
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by bani(m): 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2006
chuma, well said.
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by dblock(m): 2:16am On Sep 25, 2006
too many pics overload, enn why you dey post kl for, abeg post hong kong, peace cool
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by babaibada1(m): 10:11am On Dec 14, 2006
we can cry and all that, but nigeria will never be good until the very nigerians get up on thier two feet and do more than just talking and complaining. Nigerians run to the west, east wherever is better rather than take whats' spoilt in nigeria and repair it,
For the people coming in, MTN, Woolworth et al, thier intention is to make money, they are companies owned by people whose intentions are mainly to make profit, any other thing [like improve nigeria] can only come as second priority. They however will learn that help with creating a better nigeria will only make doing business and thus making money easier for them, but then, the cost of improving naija's state of affair is so high that they'll prob. better off investing that effort/money somewhere else,

all the same, nigerians are the only ones who can fix nigeria, for as long as we hope that the western/european gov/companies and the like will give a iota of love to us, we'll keep being victims of exploitation from all sides, I can't wait to see what china wants to do with us now that they are also flooding in,
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by tEsLim(m): 7:04pm On Dec 15, 2006
They must have shutdown the place cos they could'nt pay for the building anylonger. Tell me--- how many ppl walk into that place in a day?
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by dblock(m): 3:30am On Mar 03, 2007
It may be closed down, but another one is planned for opening at Victoria Island cheesy

Italian Retail Giant, Nakamichi will also be housed in the building
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by gbeborun(m): 12:14am On Mar 07, 2007
went thru the threads, for me Nigeria really has a lot of catching up to do. As a nation we cant be relevant in today's competitive business environment if we fail to develop ourselves. But have we really developed ourselves? Answer is NO, we complain about foreign multi-nationals, point accusing fingers at them, but we no they try as a nation. We need to do away with somethings and improve in some regards. Saw the pix from singapore, malaysia and i was impress, incase some people dunno, malaysia got the palm seeds from naija and today the are leading in that are and not solely dependent on oil. I find it very disgusting for someone in America, Amsterdam, London, Toronto where ever sha to sit in the comfort of their homes and chant ways for naija's growth.
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by dremoney(m): 2:53pm On Oct 04, 2007
@Gigitte

u just dey yarn rubbish, what technology does Nigeria av other than copy the western world.
Nigeria is Gone.we r way way 3 far from the world, We only av d money bt at d mercy of bastard politicians.
Everywhere in the world,Nigerians are watched wit both eyes opened.
people flee out of d country enmasse, wats d percentage ratio of fresh grads wit good jobs?wts d per capital income?what prospects does an average Nigerian av?.

We need to build the malls,what good films do they make that's worth d standard of a cinema in naija.ow many Nigerians wuld eva bother to go watch MY BRODA N MY WIFE or another rubbish film named GENEVIEVE IS BEAUTIFUL, wake up madam,dnt b sentimental.Our waka stil far 4 Naija.evry1's frustrated.crime's on d increase, what kindda Naija food do u thnk wil aid body fitness n ow much is it gon cost an average Nigerian.

Pple get jobs wit BANKS N CONSULTING FIRMS only to start screaming like its d end of d world because naija is bleeped, people dnt even c bankers outside Nigeria because a lotta oda well paid jobs r available.I actually thot i had a gud job while in naija only to thank my God who brought me outta dat place to c the oda side of life(though im still comin back to my country bt now wit enuf knowledge n xperience)

Abeg,i no fit shout, stay dere dey yarn dust!!!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by MyPeace(f): 2:27pm On Oct 05, 2007
@ Gigitte Welcome girl tongue tongue tongue
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Leslexx: 11:31pm On Oct 07, 2007
Woolworth in Nigeria? What kind of rubbish is that? The is the lowest class of shop for England for crying out loud! No better person dey branch Woolworh for London oh! If fact better people can't be caught dead in Woolworth! If na better brand like LV, Gucci, Armani etc then person fit say make man bear am as long as they incorporates local flavour into their fashon but Woolworth WTF,
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by dblock(m): 2:19am On Oct 13, 2007
Leslexx:

Woolworth in Nigeria? What kind of rubbish is that? The is the lowest class of shop for England for crying out loud! No better person dey branch Woolworh for London oh! If fact better people can't be caught dead in Woolworth! If na better brand like LV, Gucci, Armani etc then person fit say make man bear am as long as they incorporates local flavour into their fashon but Woolworth WTF,

Woolworths, Safeway, Kmart, Walmart, Target, That's the economy of Western Countries,
Sorry but where is this England where people buy their groceries from Italian clothing shops?

Abeg carry ur yarn commot fo hia, you no sabi the thing wey you they say. Ori gono gono,
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by Leslexx: 1:09am On Oct 28, 2007
dblock:

Woolworths, Safeway, Kmart, Walmart, Target, That's the economy of Western Countries,
Sorry but where is this England where people buy their groceries from Italian clothing shops?

Abeg carry your yarn commot fo hia, you no sabi the thing wey you they say. Ori gono gono,

E bi like say you know know wetin you dey talk this man.

First of all, Woolworth has no place in Nigeria. We should develop our own fashion houses. why is it that na only wetin the oyinbo bring all the time na him una dey respect. Wetin day wrong with you black man? Na this kind behaviour make oyinbo dey respect every other race first before he respect balck man. in fact he no respect black man and he think say black man just be one step up from a Gorilla. That na why even their top scientists dey talk say black man dey less inteligent than other races and you know the sad thing, sometimes I almost dey believe am but I think say he put am wrongly  bc black man no dey less intelligent because I studied with mostly white people at Uni and I can tell you say many of the black people in my class were more inteligent than 95% of the oyinbo people in my year: Just see wetin their top scientist dey talk about you here: http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3067222.ece and www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2677098.ece.

Like say the Scientist talk say black people are the most IGNORANT of all races I for applaud am. 

On a final note, if nah Woolworth you dey shop then you don tell us (at least me) your class, nothing for me to say anymore on that.
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by TWayne: 2:15pm On Aug 10, 2008
Hello All,

I'm not sure if posting a comment about a discussion that started almost 2 years ago is still valid but I thought I should comment all the same.

First, the Woolworths that was set up in Nigeria was not an extension of the Woolworths in the UK. I also thought it was initially. It was actually an extension of the Woolworths South Africa, one of the most successful retail chains in the country, modeled after Marks and Spencer of the United Kingdom.

I personally was not impressed with the type of clothing they sold in Lagos, particularly when compared with the clothing they sold in their outlets in South Africa so I wasn't particularly surprised when they closed down. Furthermore, the ban on importation did not really help matters.

Anywayz, I have read all the comments on the topic and was quite surprised on how an innocent topic became a controversial topic. Needless to say that all the major players in the argument made valid points. We obviously need help with growing the major industries in Nigeria so don't shoot me when I say I am in favour of foreign players coming into the economy.

I am in the fashion industry and intend to come back home when I'm done with my studies to set up. All your comments have been very helpful in putting things into perspective.

Thx a billion and have a wonderful week ahead!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by JJYOU: 11:08am On Mar 17, 2009
TWayne:

Hello All,

I'm not sure if posting a comment about a discussion that started almost 2 years ago is still valid but I thought I should comment all the same.

First, the Woolworths that was set up in Nigeria was not an extension of the Woolworths in the UK. I also thought it was initially. It was actually an extension of the Woolworths South Africa, one of the most successful retail chains in the country, modeled after Marks and Spencer of the United Kingdom.

I personally was not impressed with the type of clothing they sold in Lagos, particularly when compared with the clothing they sold in their outlets in South Africa so I wasn't particularly surprised when they closed down. Furthermore, the ban on importation did not really help matters.

Anywayz, I have read all the comments on the topic and was quite surprised on how an innocent topic became a controversial topic. Needless to say that all the major players in the argument made valid points. We obviously need help with growing the major industries in Nigeria so don't shoot me when I say I am in favour of foreign players coming into the economy.

I am in the fashion industry and intend to come back home when I'm done with my studies to set up. All your comments have been very helpful in putting things into perspective.

Thx a billion and have a wonderful week ahead!
Re: Woolworths Lagos Closed Down: Any Idea Why? by shongy(m): 3:52pm On Mar 18, 2009
i wld like 2 chip in here 2 xpress my earlier xpectatn of dere closure.on about 5-6 ocasions i acompanied my sis & mum 4 shopin at dere outlet at payless 3 plaza v/i,when i got in dere d inside was really large,fild up wit asorted wears,wateva u want u wld get dere.one tin i noticd was dat on evry ocasion i went dere,we were neva mor dan 2-3 pple in a place dat can conveniently take 200 pple or mor,and only 1or 2 pple wld buy somtin.i wasnt suprisd 2 see xtremly low patronage in a place were a single bra cld go for as high as 12k,a 10yr old boy's plain roundnek t-shirt went 4 7k.luk,i wasnt told dis tins,i went & saw 4 myself.all of a suden one day my mum told me 2 take her dere 2 buy somtin,i neva liked her goin dere cos 2me its a big waste,i took her,on getin dere we were told dat almity WOOLWORTH has run away. smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Furniture Companies In Lagos Nigeria / Why Do We Have To Switch Off Our Cellphones Before We Enter Nigerian Banks? / Affiliate Marketing:a Beginner's Guide To Succeeding With Clickbank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.