Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general (28156 Views)

African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied / Jamaican Denied Visas Over Bleaching / I Was Denied US Visit Visa After 2days Of Approval From VO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Omooba77: 2:45pm On May 22, 2015
The Consul-General, United States Embassy, William Laidlaw, has said the US visa application processes were simple and not as stringent as people thought, stressing that the mission was working to improve and make its visa processes better for Nigerians by decentralising it.

Laidlaw explained that to qualify for a visit to the US, an applicant must show that he has social and economic ties sufficient to meet the American immigration terms, adding that those who failed to meet this requirement are often turned down.

The Consul-General, who said this during a tour of the US Consular Section by select journalists in Abuja on Thursday, added that those who had social and economic ties usually had easier time and more chance to obtain US visa than somebody who is just starting out.

He said, “To really qualify for a visit to the US, you have to show you have social and economic ties sufficient to meet the immigration terms we have in our laws.

“To have those social and economic ties usually means somebody who has developed a career, developed a household and has done something to develop himself within Nigeria.”

Laidlaw said people who were refused visa could re-apply if they felt that the situations had changed, as according to him, statistics showed that many who re-applied were issued visas.

“If you can establish your social and economic ties and we understand who you are in Nigerian context, that allows us to make an evaluation judgment; It’s very hard for very young people, I’m sorry, but that’s the way the law is written,” he said.

He, however, said young business people or students who did not receive a visa should not be discouraged as they could be successful the next time they applied.

According to him, no fewer than 7,000 Nigerians are studying in his country, noting that 66 per cent of tourist visa applications were approved in 2014.

The Consul-General said the missions in Abuja and Lagos processed about 400 to 900 visa applications daily, excluding the drop-box applications which are meant for visa renewal.

He said, “Between 2009 and 2014, visa applications rose by 345 per cent in our missions based in Abuja and Lagos. Nigeria is an expanding country and the Nigerian middle class is becoming more and more prominent and growing and all those things reflected in the growth rate we see in visa applications.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/why-applicants-are-denied-us-visas-consul-general/

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 22, 2015
I have a lot of things to use as a tie, Oya US wey my visa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Omooba77: 4:25pm On May 22, 2015
adeekiti:
I have a lot of things to use as a tie, Oya US wey my visa
Me get wrapper for USA

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 22, 2015
Omooba77:

Me get wrapper for USA
bros borrow me ur wrapped make I take enter there sir wink
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by holytribe(m): 9:26pm On May 22, 2015
Noted
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Bonapart(m): 9:39am On May 23, 2015
Story story Story!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by abbeyberry(m): 9:39am On May 23, 2015
We don hear

1 Like

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by darkashes(m): 9:40am On May 23, 2015
So
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by eleojo23: 9:40am On May 23, 2015
I envisage a time in Nigeria when people will not have to run to foreign countries for greener pastures.

Together we can make our own land green. It will not be easy but I believe we can do it.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Nobody: 9:40am On May 23, 2015
Okay here I come... If you no get TIE, nothing for you

18 Likes

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by helphelp: 9:40am On May 23, 2015
Yankee all the way
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Icon4s(m): 9:41am On May 23, 2015
Simple and short: Social and economic ties

3 Likes

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Chadso(m): 9:42am On May 23, 2015
Their business.. Next week I'm trekking to Haiti with adeh39.. Who cares to join us?? grin
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by jhydebaba(m): 9:42am On May 23, 2015
Shoro niyen

Iranu abasha!!!!

USA my foot....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by bright007(f): 9:43am On May 23, 2015
Nigeria is a phucked country

the only option left for citizens like me is civil disobedience which will be another form of boko haram

1 Like

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by baybeeboi: 9:44am On May 23, 2015
truth be told, we are just to criminal minded to be granted visas to any country.

1 Like

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by letsbet(m): 9:44am On May 23, 2015
Pls, can somebody with a better experience explain to me what the social and economic ties are in this refrence.?!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by holluwai(m): 9:44am On May 23, 2015
Okay now make I try again this year. I get better tie grin

1 Like

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by NaLaugh: 9:45am On May 23, 2015
jhydebaba:
Shoro niyen

Iranu abasha!!!!

USA my foot....

Bros, e be like say dem don deal with you wella. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:45am On May 23, 2015
Abeq what is that "ties" he ws talkin bout undecided does he mean smthn like one must have someone over there?
Smbody just help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by VickyRotex(f): 9:46am On May 23, 2015
That's not the only reason.

Most Important reason tho
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by jck1976(m): 9:46am On May 23, 2015
It's simple. If you know that you are not ready yet don't waste your hard earned money for nothing.
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by Nobody: 9:48am On May 23, 2015
undecided
Re: Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general by dabwan123(m): 9:48am On May 23, 2015
I hope its true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Gombe International Conference Center (Photos) / JSS3 Student Crushed To Death By Tanker In Enugu (Graphic Pics) / Water Tanker Crushes Tricycle, Kills One, Injures Others In Anambra (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.