Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Working Mums - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Working Mums (6332 Views)

Happy Mothers Day, Come Share Your Mums Pic Celebrating Her / Pic: When You See Struggling Mums Like This, Don't Bargain With Them, Pay More / Working Mums: The New Way To Stay Close To Your Baby From Work, Funny Though-pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working Mums by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 22, 2015
I read a story on Linda Ikeji's blog on the death of a year old boy who lost his life in the creche when he was being fed.

The story was very touching and sad, and I asked myself if I could resign from work to be a stay at home mum. Honestly, my answer is no. The stark truth is that due to the economic situation and husband cannot take care of the family needs alone. I know a lot of people will be in my shoes, experiencing the same situation but do not have a clue as to what to do to protect her children.

I want to ask mummies in the house, what are the things we need to do or know as working mums when choosing a creche for our kid(s)? What other things can we do to avoid occurrences such as this in the future? How do we monitor these creches to be sure that they are taking good care of our children?
Re: Working Mums by LewsTherin: 7:57pm On May 22, 2015
I am definitely not a working mum, but my Lady works. Besides, I was the one that searched out a creche for our baby.

First off, looking for a creche when your child is ready to attend a creach is in my opinion, too late.
secondly, let no one deceive you that creches are dangerous places to be. Like everything in life, there are good creches and there are bad ones. Then there are the ones that made 1 mistake. Just 1.

So this was what I did. My Lady and I decided to start trying for children in the 3rd year of our marriage. Once we moved to Lagos, I started keeping an eye out for creches and daycare centers around our home. Once I located one, I went there to know their prices and modes of operation.

Now here is the important part. I continued visiting the creche at random times just to see how the babies there looked, how things were done. I believe I went there 3 times that year.

When my Lady got pregnant, we went there together twice Until we were convinced that it was a good place.

Look at how the kids react to the care givers. Note how many adults there are and how many children. Note the security in place. Temperature, flooring, availability of clean water etc. Try talk to some of the parents that already have kids there. If you notice a kid is no longer there, ask them why and note their reaction.

Finally, after identifying a creche and taking your child there, make it a habit as much as is within you, to drop in unannounced every once in a while so as to keep them on their toes. They know you can come in at anytime and will definitely not leave your child in a state they wouldn't want you to see.

Above all, pray.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working Mums by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 22, 2015
^^^^^^^^^ Very valid points...

interesting topic, let me sit and learn...

You could also bring either your mum or MIL over...
Re: Working Mums by marbee(f): 10:19pm On May 22, 2015
A year old is big enough to be in creche, there is more to the story.

At topic,I prefer my baby to be In a creche than to be in at home with a nanny,at least in creche you can't do much harm to a child, because everywhere is open and beside it is a business that will fall if their duty is not done properly.

I'm also thinking of how to get a good creche to take care of my 8months baby since I will soon resume work.Some of the quality I would
look for in creche include:

Depends on your income, but the place should be a little bit classy to avoid story that touch.

Also make enquiry about the creche from people around and ensure the people there are also mothers. Lastly pray I'm sure God will led you to a good place.
Re: Working Mums by Onegai(f): 10:57pm On May 22, 2015
@LewsTherin those are really good points, particularly as to checking for creches way before the baby is ready. I haven't started (sadly) undecided as my initial plan was to be a SAHM.

Our location is filled with overpriced day centres, I'm not sure I trust them (imagine daycare of upto N1.2mil). It's a tricky topic for me as I really fought my hubby on the matter, but I will be going into a business venture soon that will require me to travel occasionally.

1 Like

Re: Working Mums by cococandy(f): 11:15pm On May 22, 2015
Great points.

I can't imagine paying up to 900-$1000 a month in this day and not have the caregivers up and doing.
LewsTherin:
I am definitely not a working mum, but my Lady works. Besides, I was the one that searched out a creche for our baby.

First off, looking for a creche when your child is ready to attend a creach is in my opinion, too late.
secondly, let no one deceive you that creches are dangerous places to be. Like everything in life, there are good creches and there are bad ones. Then there are the ones that made 1 mistake. Just 1.

So this was what I did. My Lady and I decided to start trying for children in the 3rd year of our marriage. Once we moved to Lagos, I started keeping an eye out for creches and daycare centers around our home. Once I located one, I went there to know their prices and modes of operation.

Now here is the important part. I continued visiting the creche at random times just to see how the babies there looked, how things were done. I believe I went there 3 times that year.

When my Lady got pregnant, we went there together twice Until we were convinced that it was a good place.

Look at how the kids react to the care givers. Note how many adults there are and how many children. Note the security in place. Temperature, flooring, availability of clean water etc. Try talk to some of the parents that already have kids there. If you notice a kid is no longer there, ask them why and note their reaction.

Finally, after identifying a creche and taking your child there, make it a habit as much as is within you, to drop in unannounced every once in a while so as to keep them on their toes. They know you can come in at anytime and will definitely not leave your child in a state they wouldn't want you to see.

Above all, pray.
Re: Working Mums by Onegai(f): 12:01am On May 23, 2015
For those who can afford it and are deciding to go the Nanny route, abeg don't be cheap, hire a Filipino nanny.

I'll never forget my mum and I observing the behaviour of one. She kept smoothing the baby's hair and planted a kiss on his temple absent-mindedly, whilst the little boy jejely rested his head on her shoulders. My mum (flabbergasted) kept repeating "that must be her child" because she and I have never seen an affectionate Nigerian nanny (even the ones you pay well and give them regular working hours and days off like office staff, one slapped my pre-school nephew recently). I've spoken to some people who hire them and those women keep getting top marks for professionalism and care. Compare that to the sullen-faced or bored Naija nanny, ready to dish out a slap or a pinch to your child.

It takes a lot of patience to stay with a child and Nigerians are not patient people.

1 Like

Re: Working Mums by Kimoni: 12:15am On May 23, 2015
Get a crèche based on the recommendations of several people and not just based on how fine the place looks or the fees they charge.

I also prefer one that is close to my office so it's easier to drop in unannounced.

Some crèches are located in the same building as the residence of the owners and teachers. I detest that, it opens up the place to all sort of visitors and compromises the security of the children.

I visited a crèche once and till I got to the children's classes, I wasn't stopped by anybody. Access into the building was just too easy.

Another beautiful crèche I visited was undergoing some building expansions which was fine. But I noticed they had made the place very unsafe for children because there were nails and other sharp objects lying carelessly all over the compound yet children were in session.
I pointed this out and surely, they started tidying the place but I had formed an opinion already. If they could be this careless with such obvious and dangerous items, i definitely couldn't trust them to take other simple but necessary precautions with my baby.

Go for one that has got a CCTV - very key.

Two more things - try and pick up your child before they close for the day. Usually, one person is made to stay back to care for kids whose parents come late, and trust me, that person is surely not smiling with your kid for making her go home late. God help you if your child needs attention at that point in time.

Also, get friendly with the teachers. Sound them out. Do they really like working with kids or like the crèche? Or are they working there purely for economic reasons? And they honestly can't stand children sad

(Optional) As much as it is in your power, treat them well. xmas, vacations, teachers' day - buy gifts for them. From your child to them.

Lastly, pray hard!!!!!(most important)

4 Likes

Re: Working Mums by Onegai(f): 12:30am On May 23, 2015
Ask for a creche that has a pediatric nurse attached to it. Kids can suddenly pick up stomach bugs or run temperatures or worse, Asthma and allergy attacks can occur. Let there be a qualified medical person on hand constantly that can deliver first aid.

A friend's daughter picked up warts on her bum and I don't believe they ever informed her mum that "oh we noticed growths on her bum whilst changing her". Same with coughs and colds (some don't have an extra room in the nurse's office to keep kids with infectious ailments) and your baby keeps coming home with all sorts. Including lice.

So, spare clean rooms and a medical staff on premises constantly.

1 Like

Re: Working Mums by Ewuro4: 5:33am On May 23, 2015
1. Must have a camera
i) Child proofed
ii) location
iii) Must own some sort of standbyTransportation in case of emergencies.

2. Employees academic qualification and I don't mean any degree or HND. I mean the employee must be Certified in that field of work ( child care).
3. First aid and CPR certified employees.
4. Food handling & safety certificate certified.
5. References from current parents & media reviews.

1 Like

Re: Working Mums by LewsTherin: 7:35am On May 23, 2015
Onegai:

Our location is filled with overpriced day centres, I'm not sure I trust them (imagine daycare of upto N1.2mil). It's a tricky topic for me as I really fought my hubby on the matter, but I will be going into a business venture soon that will require me to travel occasionally.

SHE KINI? 1.2m for what? Are they feeding the kids with manna from on high?

Money is not the thing oh. Like someone said here, you need to know if the care givers are working for the pay or for the kids. The primary care giver in my daughter's crech lives close by and her kids go to the primary school of the creche. Sometimes my Lady and I run late at work and when we get there we see the woman and her kids playing with my daughter and any kids left back. She loves those children like her own and the extra stimulation my daughter gets is priceless. Babies need stimulation to grow fast, from children their own age and just slightly older. I see the difference btw my daughter and her cousins at that age.

P.s She started the creche at 4 months
Re: Working Mums by Nobody: 8:24am On May 23, 2015
. . In addition to all that has been said, do your homework on the owner of the creche.

What are her values, how often is she there, has she lived abroad? (she will have a different mindset about what is acceptable and what isnt in terms of health ans safety), does she do it just for money or does she do it because she genuingly cares? Is this her only business? What is her staff turnover? Does she pay well? if you are paying 60k a month and the staff are paid 10k a month, then your kid is being looked after by an unhappy and underpaid worker.

Ask questions . . . if anyone is reluctant to answer questions then dont bother even going back.

A good child care provider will understand a parents fears and will be happy to open doors and answer questions at any time of the day. Speak to other parents and ask them what they think about the creche. Ask around.

BTW Fees are not the determining factor, I saw terrible things in abuja when I went creche hunting with my SIL and the fees werent cheap. All the creches I went to, the owner wasnt there at all. in one, the Staff were sleeping & kids were in deep sleep. One nearly coughed his lungs out but didnt wake up . . .that can only be drugs.
One of the creches has locked the kids in from the outside and they were looking for the key. They said they didnt want the kids to wander off . . . .what if there was a fire?

The lady who eventually looked after my own daughter charged almost nothing. She is like a grandmother to my daughter.
At the time, I was only interested in a nursery and didnt consider her at all but we gave her a chance and she did a great job and my daughter was with her for years and even when she started school, she would pick her up from school and we will pick her up later.
Even now she still goes to spend the odd weekend with her when they miss each other. In short keep all your options open. A creche may not be the best. Ask God for direction.

Pray pray pray too . . . Its God at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Working Mums by Nobody: 9:33am On May 23, 2015
This is one thing hubby and i have been shying away from, especially hubby. . . Nannies, Day care. Hmmmnn sad

For now, the grandmas take turns to come care for our son and they do an amazing job. I doubt i can even do better. We really don't know what we would have done without them. We are so grateful and extremely lucky. kiss

They might just keep doing that till he's of school age.

I know, I know, we are just too lily livered. sad

1 Like

Re: Working Mums by Nobody: 9:34am On May 23, 2015
Onegai:
@LewsTherin those are really good points, particularly as to checking for creches way before the baby is ready. I haven't started (sadly) undecided as my initial plan was to be a SAHM.

Per annum?
Re: Working Mums by Onegai(f): 1:48pm On May 23, 2015
Phema:

Per annum?

Yup. I blinked when I started hearing how much daycare cost. For one daycare, they organised a trip to France for the kids to learn French and were asking parents interested to pay in Euro. For toddlers to 5 years old. you can see pricier ones sef.

Some of those daycares are run by people with accents or foreigners (trot out any sort of oyinbo accent and a Naija person will begin to see "your value" grin ) But at the end of the day, the teachers get peanuts and it's the teachers that stay with the child, not the proprietor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working Mums by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 23, 2015
Onegai:

Yup. I blinked when I started hearing how much daycare cost. For one daycare, they organised a trip to France for the kids to learn French and were asking parents interested to pay in Euro. For toddlers to 5 years old. you can see pricier ones sef.

Some of those daycares are run by people with accents or foreigners (trot out any sort of oyinbo accent and a Naija person will begin to see "your value" grin ) But at the end of the day, the teachers get peanuts and it's the teachers that stay with the child, not the proprietor.

That daycare harsh oooo. shocked
Re: Working Mums by kidzdom: 9:08am On Jun 12, 2015
I recently put up a post on "Creches in the Workplace" on this platform. And interestingly, discovered this post afterwards. The challenge of quality childcare for working mums is a huge challenge and has become a burning issue. A ready solution is an EMPLOYER-SPONSORED creche.A well-run childcare facility within the office block for nursing mothers & mothers of toddlers. (Childcare for professionals, by professionals). Even fathers benefit immensely from this initiative (the significant savings made from the exorbitant fèes commercial creches charge). This employee welfare package is a low-hanging fruit any thoughtful and forward-thinking organization should reach out and grab. Employee satisfaction levels, staff retention rates, work productivity levels and company bottom lines would DEFINITELY experience a BOOST. It's a win-win situation. Organizations spend millions on projects that are not half as valuable.
I know these for a fact because I have been a nursing mother that has worked in a high-pressure banking environment. And today, I am an Early Years professional. I design, setup and/or manage Employer-sponsored creches. Totally passionate about this drive. Not every woman can take the choice of leaving paid employment and it does not make them any "less responsible" than those who have. These courageous, conscientious and dedicated women should be able to draw the much needed support from WORK (their employers) and LIFE (family & friends), as they grapple with the dual, and often daunting role of being an effective mother and a top-performing professional.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working Mums by kidzdom: 10:03am On Feb 08, 2016
kidzdom:
I recently put up a post on "Creches in the Workplace" on this platform. And interestingly, discovered this post afterwards. The challenge of quality childcare for working mums is a huge challenge and has become a burning issue. A ready solution is an EMPLOYER-SPONSORED creche.A well-run childcare facility within the office block for nursing mothers & mothers of toddlers. (Childcare for professionals, by professionals). Even fathers benefit immensely from this initiative (the significant savings made from the exorbitant fèes commercial creches charge). This employee welfare package is a low-hanging fruit any thoughtful and forward-thinking organization should reach out and grab. Employee satisfaction levels, staff retention rates, work productivity levels and company bottom lines would DEFINITELY experience a BOOST. It's a win-win situation. Organizations spend millions on projects that are not half as valuable.
I know these for a fact because I have been a nursing mother that has worked in a high-pressure banking environment. And today, I am an Early Years professional. I design, setup and/or manage Employer-sponsored creches. Totally passionate about this drive. Not every woman can take the choice of leaving paid employment and it does not make them any "less responsible" than those who have. These courageous, conscientious and dedicated women should be able to draw the much needed support from WORK (their employers) and LIFE (family & friends), as they grapple with the dual, and often daunting role of being an effective mother and a top-performing professional.
Re: Working Mums by Chidoks(f): 10:29am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:
For those who can afford it and are deciding to go the Nanny route, abeg don't be cheap, hire a Filipino nanny.

I'll never forget my mum and I observing the behaviour of one. She kept smoothing the baby's hair and planted a kiss on his temple absent-mindedly, whilst the little boy jejely rested his head on her shoulders. My mum (flabbergasted) kept repeating "that must be her child" because she and I have never seen an affectionate Nigerian nanny (even the ones you pay well and give them regular working hours and days off like office staff, one slapped my pre-school nephew recently). I've spoken to some people who hire them and those women keep getting top marks for professionalism and care. Compare that to the sullen-faced or bored Naija nanny, ready to dish out a slap or a pinch to your child.

It takes a lot of patience to stay with a child and Nigerians are not patient people.
Abeg abeg where and how can I get a Filipino nanny.
Re: Working Mums by Onegai(f): 10:46am On Feb 08, 2016
Chidoks:

Abeg abeg where and how can I get a Filipino nanny.

You'd have to contact am agency. Are you on the island?
Re: Working Mums by Chidoks(f): 11:09am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

You'd have to contact am agency. Are you on the island?
I don't live in Lagos.can you give me a link though I've heard it's not safe to source for nannies publicly...
Re: Working Mums by Onegai(f): 11:13am On Feb 08, 2016
Chidoks:

I don't live in Lagos.can you give me a link though I've heard it's not safe to source for nannies publicly...

Ah that may be a problem. The person I know of only services Lagos. I'll ask her if any is available. But there should be an agency close to you with trained nannies, I know people who are investing in training qualifies nannies and maids and cooks in the major cities.
Re: Working Mums by Chidoks(f): 11:59am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Ah that may be a problem. The person I know of only services Lagos. I'll ask her if any is available. But there should be an agency close to you with trained nannies, I know people who are investing in training qualifies nannies and maids and cooks in the major cities.
Thanks.The Filipino thing got me.yeah in my city there are many agencies that offer such domestic services but with the applaud given to the Filipino women,I truly wouldn't mind one I will keep for a long long time. Ask if I get any to live outside Lagos.I'll appreciate it.
Re: Working Mums by Fairy0001: 2:01pm On Mar 08, 2016
Onegai:

Pls I need a Filipino nanny and will really appreciate if you can help me with your contact.I live on the island in Lagos.Thanks
Re: Working Mums by GodnGold: 2:50am On Mar 09, 2016
Filipino sha!
Re: Working Mums by realtalk19: 6:22pm On Mar 09, 2016
am a working mum and i had to teach in a school coz of my child from 7months to a year nd six after which i relocated. my child is in kg class now nd i hired a trusted nanny to take care of her from mondays- fridays til i get back from work.
Re: Working Mums by MrsNimat: 8:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
Good day mamas nd dadas in the house please i need names and address of credible and affordable creches in gbagada that i can go and check out before i enroll my Lo into it,please neatness and care is on top of my priorities tnks yu.
Re: Working Mums by SUV(f): 4:01pm On Jul 20, 2016
If you live in Lagos and you need a well trained nanny with full background verification and medical verification:

call or text: CONCIERGE SERVICES LIMITED. 08173487243. Peace of mind guaranteed!
Re: Working Mums by Bimbosl: 12:58am On May 01, 2017
Hello,i hope this helps. I stay at gbagada and i have a 1 year old daughter who i drop at the day care because i work at a bank and its stressful for me. Its called Lily day care, there are well experienced hands working there. The owner has raised 4 children of her own and she is very caring. Its home away from home for my daughter. And its very affordable. They even take her during weekends when i have to work. You can call her at 08026222200
Re: Working Mums by Zedef: 3:01pm On Nov 03, 2019
smiley
Re: Working Mums by Chapter1vs6(m): 11:49pm On May 30, 2021
LewsTherin:

Above all, pray.

Long time, I am glad to know you are still very much around

(1) (Reply)

My Husband Has A Child With Another Woman / Me And My Albino Baby Pictures / Should A Wife Submit Her Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.