Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown (27629 Views)

FG Raises Panel To Probe Fanta, Sprite Content / Nigerian Power Plants To Shut Down / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Rowlandjude(m): 10:10pm On May 22, 2015
Abuja – The Federal Government on Friday in Abuja raised alarm over dwindling and epileptic electricity supply across the country.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Power, Mr Godknows Igali, made this known after a meeting with Vice-President Namadi Sambo to State House correspondents in Abuja.
Igali, and Prof. Chinedu Nebo, Minister of Power, had briefed Sambo on the state of power generation, transmission and distribution in the country.
\
He said the ongoing strike by Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) and the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas had further worsened the power supply situation.

The workers were protesting the transfer of the operatorship of the Oil Mining Lease (OML) 42 to two indigenous companies, claiming the move would affect the fortunes of NPDC and its staff.

“With the strike which has gone on for one or two days there is dramatic turn as of this afternoon we have gone down for the all time low to 1,327 megawatts.

“So, if you look at it from 4,800 there is dramatic turn, the loss is terrible,’’ Igali said.

He said as at 12 noon May 22, 2015, Utorogu, CHEVRON ORE DO, OB EN gas plants were all shutdown while UGHELI and CNL ESCRAVOS were already isolated.

He said, “on the eastern axis Shell Gas, ALAKIRI has also been shutdown. This has led to the several power plants being stranded and shutdown.

“This includes EGBIN, OLORUNSHOGO I & 11, OMOTOSHO 1& 11, GEREGU I & 11, IHONVOR and SAPELE (NIPP) on the western axis and ALAOJI on the eastern end.’’

According to him, besides, pipeline vandalism which has continued to have very negative impact on the power supply situation in the country, the ongoing strike by the labour unions in the oil and gas sector has added additional toll.

“The overall effect is that power supply which had started picking up steadily since the beginning of the week following repairs of various vandalised portions of the ELP Line and the Trans-Forcados Gas Pipelines, has fallen to all-time-unprecedented low of 1,327m was at 1.00 p.m. May22, 2015.

He, therefore, warned that “situation could get worse if the strike continues’’.
Igali expressed the hope that the ongoing discussion between the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation and, the labour unions, would end amicably.

“Indeed, it is hoped the labour unions will help restore supply of gas to the power plants even while negotiation are ongoing.’’(NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/fg-raises-alarm-over-dwindling-electricity-supply-power-plants-shutdown/
Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Omoalhaja7: 10:15pm On May 22, 2015
Who is deceiving whom? Nonsense!

BTW,FTC things.....wanna dedicate ds to:
*all Nigerians hoping for good administration frm GMB,
*all Lastborns on ds forum,
*My expectant Babymamma, luv u wholeheartedly kiss

24 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Pavore9: 10:17pm On May 22, 2015
Dem no well,who are they raising the alarm for? 1,327 megawatts after 16years of return to civil rule........l can boldly say Nigeria's political leadership has been in the hands of Ogbanjes all these while! Nigeria is just like Jonny Bravo, big in size, low in output!angry

107 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by solid3(m): 10:17pm On May 22, 2015
Shoro Niyen?

This is a confirmation of the failure of this out going administration. I as a Nigerian am totally disappointed in this GEJ led govt.

No power, no fuel to even power ur gen.

If no be people wey dey beg me since, if I vex ehn....

57 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Elslim: 10:17pm On May 22, 2015
good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by ionsman: 10:17pm On May 22, 2015
By the time Jonathan is leaving,it will be 200MW...Yeye

47 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Sweetguy25: 10:18pm On May 22, 2015
These labor unions are sabotagging the Nigerian economy with their worthless strikes. Aren't there other viable channels to air your grievances? Why must you hold the economy to ransom because of selfish interests?

Nigeria is on the brink of a socioeconomic collapse. I doubt if Buhari at his frail age can withstand the pressure these greedy bastartds will place on him.
With the decline in oil revenues -
1. States can't pay salaries
2. Government can't pay petroleum marketers

- Petroleum workers are striking (no fuel)
- Energy workers are striking (no light)
- State government workers are striking (no jobs)
- Government is owing ASUU 1 trillion naira (ASUU strike is imminent)
- Doctors will embark on their own strike soon

Hopefully, GEJ's tenure ends in 9 days. Buhari should handle the mess but he should be careful, at his age, he needs rest and peace of mind. He should learn from Umaru.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by hizaya61(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by wise7(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2015
Na today e start

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by HRich(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2015
Nigeria is really becoming unbearable and unlivable for the masses. Is really a big shame to say as rich as Nigeria, they can't enjoy electricity for an hour. Is really sad.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by letsbet(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2015
i can boldly say that for the past 7 days we had less than 7hours of electricity which is at an all time low. i will be very glad if by the end of GMB's regim there is at least 12hrs of electricity per day. we will be ok, i promise.

16 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by sokotoburundi(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2015
Ogun Cut any body that come's here to shout Gej My Hero esp temitemi.
to the topic
seriously this is the most useless govt nigeria ever had, if i tell u otherwise, it's like telling u my mother is a virgin.

77 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Dcaliphate(m): 10:19pm On May 22, 2015
Get me a president, yes, let him rule for 12years, just let it be that by the time he is leaving office, Nigeria can boast of steady power.

I will be forever loyal and grateful to such a man,..

i will pray for him, his children and his children's children.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by luvinhubby(m): 10:19pm On May 22, 2015
High time Nigerians rise up deal with this issue of persistent strikes by oil workers.
The senate wanted to amend our labour laws to address the issue of using strikes as a bargaining tool by labour unions in 2012 but was resisted by APC senators like Ngige & Gbenga Ashafa because it was PDP in power, today it is APC, we will wait & see how Buhari's govt will roll with these greedy Shylocks called oil workers union.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by ashile(m): 10:19pm On May 22, 2015
na waooh

no fuel no light

wetin man pikin go do naaa

GF pls do something anyhow anyhoww

abeg oooh

heat don finish us ooh

2 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by sage2(m): 10:20pm On May 22, 2015
Ok
Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by segiwest(m): 10:20pm On May 22, 2015
One chance

2 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by GudluckIBB(m): 10:20pm On May 22, 2015
FTC hey!hey!! Hey!!

Mama Chikodi add more ponmo for my soup

Azonto! Azonto!!! Azonto zonto!!

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by GogetterMD(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
Power generation has climbed to an all-time high of 1327 MW. Kudos to the outgoing PDP led administration. They did an exceptional job in that sector, just like In other sectors. Gracias, Merci

21 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
hmmmm
Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
In my area now,the light would be brought for five minutes,after which it will be taken. Till the next day. This. Has been happening for the past one month now.

Coupled with no fuel,I don't think there is another place called HELL than Nigeria.

So pathetic!

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by alaoeri: 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
Jona's send forth gift to Nigerians, no light, no fuel which way Nigeria?

17 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Emekamex(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
This country is depressing, even the labour unions that are meant to fight for the people are contributing to our suffering.

10 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by babatope88(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
Story for the gods, before nko? oshi!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by hola106(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
Na God go punish all of una for suffering d masses.. Shey na december period we dey ni wey una dey strike up nd down

3 Likes

Now the price of power bank'll go up,

Now GEJ want carry the power go back otueke

2 Likes

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by AWONEYAN(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
No fuel...No Light..
This is a Jungle

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by DOOSNAS(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2015
If u ask me na who I go ask? smiley smiley
Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by Sholah96(m): 10:22pm On May 22, 2015
Shey light no dey aso rock? Cos nigerians re used to dis already

1 Like

Re: FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown by eatwell423: 10:22pm On May 22, 2015
Let buhari come and perform his magic

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Lawmakers Could Override Buhari If He Vetoes Peace Corps Bill – Dogara / Jummai Alhassan Visits Makarfi In PDP Headquarters / Ekweremadu: Why Age Limit For Senate, Governorship Were Retained

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.