Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,268 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document (842 Views)

I Don’t Know What Buhari Should Do, I’ve Stopped Advising People –pat Utomi / Ministerial List: Why Buhari Holds On To 15 Other Nominees / Why Buhari Has No Certificate - Col Ben Gbulie (rtd) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by Nobody: 2:12am On May 23, 2015
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/why-buhari-should-throw-away-obasanjo-s-document/209996/

I can’t understand why a man who has failed an examination is now offering tips to another person on how to pass the same examination.

This is precisely what former President Olusegun Obasanjo has been doing in the last few weeks for President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari. It reached its climax last week when Obasanjo’s think-tank submitted a report to Buhari, recommending “the way forward for Nigeria.”

According to reports, Obasanjo through his think-tank, studied critical areas of the economy and recommended the way forward for Buhari’s administration in leading a new Nigeria.

The Committee studied five key areas of education, power, the economy, security and infrastructure and made recommendations. This is clearly the voice of Jacob but the hand of Esau. It is simply Obasanjo speaking. Again, if we are desirous about building a modern economy, the key members of the Obasanjo think-tank - Professor Akin Mabogunje, Dr. Kalu Idika Kalu and Dr. Christopher Kolade are clearly not people to be trusted with this task.

The reason is obvious. I am sure that many forward- looking Nigerians know what I am talking about. We are in a modern era; a digital age. These economists have done very well for Nigeria.
They should take a break.Let me say it straight away, Buhari should please dump this filthy document in a waste basket.

This is part of Obasanjo’s ploy to put Buhari under his control. Buhari should say a big NO from the word go, otherwise, this will be the beginning of the end of their romance. The President-elect should go and ask President Goodluck Jonathan about his experience in this regard.
Again, morally, Obasanjo and his so called think-tank are not in a position to make recommendations to Buhari. For eight years, Obasanjo as a democratically-elected President had his chance (with his Think-tank) and squandered it. He failed woefully on all these areas he is now trying to advise Buhari on - education, power, the economy, security and infrastructure.

Only God knows how many years it would take this country to recover from the pain inflicted by Obasanjo’s eight years of Yahooze administration.
Let’s look at the power crisis. We all know that during Obasabjo’s eight years as President, we were perpetually in darkness. This was after he spent billions of USD on the sector. The financial mess unearthed by the Ndudi Elemelu Power Committee after Obasanjo left office speaks volume. Our refineries were also epileptic during his tenure. He could not tackle the fuel supply crisis.

In the area of infrastructure, roads across the country remained in a mess for eight years. Sometime in 2003, our great statesman declared in Ogun State that he was ashamed of federal roads. He was right, federal roads remained death traps while Obasanjo’s reign lasted, with hundreds of lives lost annually. During one of his road trips, Obasanjo kept running into potholes, which left him dejected. Even the road to his farm in Ota, Ogun State was pothole-ridden. That was after his administration had expended about N350 billion on federal roads. That was also the era when many state governments started working on federal roads because the federal government was not performing.

Obasanjo has no juicy story to tell in the area of education in his eight years. Our universities and other higher institution were left in tatters. University teachers were consistently on strike over decaying infrastructure in their schools. Basic facilities like water and toilets became very difficult to come by in our higher institutions.

The quality of their products declined greatly while the certificates issued by these schools were worthless outside Nigeria. Not even one Nigerian university could make the list of top 1000 universities in the world. It was so bad under Obasanjo.

In the area of security, Obasanjo failed woefully. Terrorism, armed robberies, kidnappings and other allied crimes were rampant while his reign lasted. Under Obasanjo, the Police and other security agencies were inept, ill-equipped and ill-motivated. Obasanjo could not protect lives and property. Even the convoy of his daughter, Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello was attacked by armed robbers led by Amani Tijani who came into Nigeria all the way from Benin Republic. In the attack, two children of the same mother, Ade-ife, and Akinola Akindeko were killed by the marauding bandits.  Late Amani was a citizen of Niger Republic who resided in Republic of Benin.

We are still waiting for Obasanjo to tell us who killed Bola Ige, Marshal Harry, Aminasoari Dikibo and a host of other killings during his administration. So, how can he be offering tips on security?

How well did Obasanjo manage the economy in his eight years to warrant making recommendations to Buhari? For eight years, Nigeria remained an oil-dependent economy. He could not reverse this. He could not revive agriculture as an alternative source of foreign exchange. Industries were dying; many textile firms closed shop. Fuel supply was erratic. Our refineries did not work. Naira continued its free-fall. Obasanjo could not tackle the mass unemployment, with millions of graduates roaming the streets. Federal hospitals were in tatters.

So, what has Obasanjo got to offer Buhari?If I go into the issue of corruption under Obasanjo, I would probably need three editions to do this. The list is endless. The most dramatic was the alleged bribe offered legislators to back his third term project. Some senators were alleged to have collected N50 million each.
Then, Hon. Uche Onyeagucha, who was a member of the House of Representatives, in an interview with the British Broadcasting Corporation alleged that he was offered a plot of land in Abuja to back the third term bill.

“Somebody highly placed in government asked me to sign an endorsement of the third term project and that I would be adequately compensated,” Onyeagucha told the BBC then. Many thought that in the spirit of his anti-corruption, an inquiry would be instituted. Perhaps, this should be followed with the arrest of Onyeagucha, so as to unmask the highly placed government official distributing the bribe. It never happened. So, many can now see that Buhari who had said severally that he would clamp-down on corruption has no business associating with Obasanjo.

I am ending this piece with the statement of a former member of National Assembly, Senator Rowland Owie on the Obasanjo think-tank’s document. Owie, who was a Chief Whip of the Senate declared: “That Obasanjo Think-tank report will soon become a document of blackmail for the President-elect, Buhari because Obasanjo will tell the world that the solutions he prescribed for fixing Nigeria were ignored.

How can OBJ be preparing a blueprint for Buhari? A Bini parable says ‘how can an impotent man get medicine for his brother who suffers weak erection’? ‎ Wonders w ill never end! How can OBJ who wasted eight years in government pursuing perceived enemies, and tried to ruin the legislative and judiciary arms of government in Nigeria; destroyed Aladja Steel, Itakpe Steel, Ajaokuta Steel, NITEL, just to mention a few FGN parastatals as a result of his incompetence now begin to advice Buhari? The legacies left behind by OBJ are hate, divisiveness, Zaki-Ibiam and Odi destruction.”

This is a food for thought
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by olaniyanibukun(m): 2:18am On May 23, 2015
Q
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by DaBullIT(m): 3:24am On May 23, 2015
Good Question

But you realize not all coaches won the best footballer of the year award ?

The same way its easy for a spectator to see who can receive a pass and score a goal

Something a player in the pitch doesn't

My point ? Obasanjo has been watching the from behind the lines

He may see what GMB might not even be aware its there

and as a 3 time president, I think his document deserves to be opened, studied and appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by Nobody: 3:48am On May 23, 2015
It's not about Obasanjo as a person. It's about a document prepared by eminent persons whose competence you can't question. And Mr. Buhari is not bound to accept all the recommendations.

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by temitemi1(m): 4:00am On May 23, 2015
They will soon sink the ship with the like of obj, atiku n tinubu on board grin cheesy grin. GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my ROLE MODEL!!
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by Nobody: 4:14am On May 23, 2015
Patiently waiting for May 29th to listen to GMB's inaugural speech.

No further comment for now.
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by Nobody: 6:41am On May 23, 2015
This is how they misguided GEJ against Obasanjo, they told GEJ to disregard Obasanjo cuz Baba wanted to control him .... Now they want to pitch Buhari against Obasanjo .....

But Buhari knows better and He is not a small boy that can be pushed around nor misguided , also all these army Generals are like cult, they will never disregard nor disrespect one another before we bloody civilians....

Obasanjo is the most widely connected leader in Nigeria both Internationally and Nationally , Disregard him at your own perill ...... If he can't finish you at home , he will finish you before the international community.......... He is one voice the world power listened to and considers especially regarding Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by worthytalk: 6:55am On May 23, 2015
Spit on the zoological republic called Nigeria. In Biafra I stand!
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by Nobody: 7:05am On May 23, 2015
olaniyanibukun:
Q
Q for quran

Dat book contains either letter "Q" all tru or how to spend $16b on power, wifout any result
Apc get manifesto embarassed?
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by olaniyanibukun(m): 8:25am On May 23, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

Q for quran

Dat book contains either letter "Q" all tru or how to spend $16b on power, wifout any result

Me book space ni o

So te if dis stuff make FP

I go be first to comment
Re: Why Buhari Should Throw Away Obasanjo’s Document by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:54am On May 23, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

Q for quran

did u actually realised OBJ didn't spend $16 billion on power as you were made to biliv?

we sure knw u and your people rely on hearsays, and it's okay, we shall educate you.

did you knw the project that was already awarded and ongoing was stopped by yar adua to as to probe it?

part of the project was the same olorunsogo that you lord clueless took credit for and commissioned the second time...papa lantoro and the likes were also ongoing project.

now, back to your erudition, the project was probed because yar adua said it didn't go thru the senates. later on, they realised that a president could undertake a project thru executive means just like the second Niger bridge and so many others that you lord clueless did.

now, after realising their stupidly, they ask for the company to commence: they refused and rather, sued the feds for billions of dollars. that was the end of the project which was clearly ongoing and advertised even on dstv(if u were old enuff that time).

now, did u knw dt the MW of electricity your lord clueless is leaving is not even up to 100th of what he inherited from yar adua? and he has spent more than OBJ has spent on power only to be commissioning the one a OBJ has already built.

I'm sorry for you. you live by hearsays... good for u...

(1) (Reply)

What A Gentleman! GEJ Shakes Hands As Car Glide To Take Him Back To Otuoke / Hilarious State Of Nigeria's Workers (photo) / Professor Osinbajo: God's Choice For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.