Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,601 members, 7,801,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place (10797 Views)

Her Mother Inlaw Wants To Move In Permanently / My Mother Inlaw Wants To Bath With Me / My Mother Inlaw Caught Me Kissing My Wife's Friend in our washroom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by SAMBARRY: 9:16pm On May 24, 2015
taryour:

Lol, make I no complete the O word oo, I no fit shout. How you doing and all yours? And how is zeyus doing
I will gladly help you grin

on grin wink0
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Jamean(f): 9:26pm On May 24, 2015
hahaha!

Wine - is for respect.
Fruits - to show that your coming into the family will prosper them.
Salt - you'll add sweetness and not sorrow
Live chicken - marriage will bear children

Well, this is how my immediate & extended family perceives it..just a suggestion to the OP. smiley

Phema:

First time visit?? shocked shocked
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Bigbello(m): 10:17pm On May 24, 2015
Jamean:
hahaha!

Wine - is for respect.

Well, this is how my immediate & extended family perceives it..just a suggestion to the OP. smiley

thanks for ur contribution, well analysed
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Jamean(f): 11:01pm On May 24, 2015
Groundnut ko, popcorn & garri ni.

You just want to tell them how their bae will be soaking garri in your house undecided

Joavid:
As for me, I won't buy anything on the first visit.

If you are a guy, you should get a bottle of wine for your FIL but if he doesn't take alcohol, get packs of juice instead. Cos non-alcoholic wines in naija taste like piss.

A bottle of groundnuts/peanuts will be nice.
Or fruits like apple, grapes or pear.

Lol. grin Very symbolic indeed!
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by taryour(f): 11:10pm On May 24, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I will gladly help you grin

on grin wink0
Lol. Omo nla. Mojeri e. You no dey Bleep up. Nothing do you jare. *winks*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by taryour(f): 11:16pm On May 24, 2015
Ewuro4:

Do they really eat it or just superstition?

Yes they eat it oo big time. One of my dogs once fell a victim like 6 years ago and it so pained me.
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by mokset123: 12:52pm On May 25, 2015
Just go with a bottle of wine either alcoholic or fruit wine
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 25, 2015
First time I took azubuike to my home to see my parents he didn't buy anything
He just had some cash in his pocket and when he was leaving ,he just presented some cash gift to my mom only
I thought that was a kind gesture

If they are Igbo please don't take any wine yet ,wine is for when you and your father or other men come officially to ask for the hand of the girl
Live fowl is an overkill,don't
Someone suggested fruits,that is good,everyone loves fruits and they are simple gifts
You can also buy a carton of peak milk,that will be appreciated
But remember that whatever gifts you bring,some cash must accompany it.
Or you can just forget the items do like my hubby,put some money in your pocket and when you are leaving apologize that you couldn't get anything and hand mama some cash ,not a large amount.
If the family is average or OK financially and not polygamous,a cash gift to mama is enough
But if they are struggling and / or the man has other wives,you have to give him his own money .
Please don't hand over the money to the father and forget the mother or expect him to give her some,you better give it separately.
You can never go wrong with cash IMHO

1 Like

Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 25, 2015
For conversation find something you have in common and strike up a conversation
They will ask about work and about your parents so you discuss that
When there is a dry spot with nothing to say,you bring up topics of commonality
If for instance the man lived in PH and has moved down to the village and you live in PH or know PH well,tell him how things have changed,all the new developments etc.
If he went to school with your dad or uncle or he is an Nsukka graduate like you,talk about Nsukka small.
If you have an aunt that was married at their area or an uncle that took a wife from their place,mention that and you must know the family name they married from or into .
Ask about their other children,this will show you have an interest in the family
I suppose your wife must have told you about her siblings,if there is any that had done something notable in recent times or one you spoke on the phone with recently or have met,mention that,the mom will be thrilled.
Talk about politics,whatever side papa is supporting especially if he is a die hard,must be your side grin grin grin

I can imagine this visit to be a very important one
You don't need to mention anything about your intention with their daughter,they already know that,just be a good guest and leave a good impression.

1 Like

Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Bigbello(m): 8:47pm On May 25, 2015
babyosisi:
For conversation find something you have in common and strike up a conversation
They will ask about work and about your parents so you discuss that
When there is a dry spot with nothing to say,you bring up topics of commonality
If for instance the man lived in PH and has moved down to the village and you live in PH or know PH well,tell him how things have changed,all the new developments etc.
If he went to school with your dad or uncle or he is an Nsukka graduate like you,talk about Nsukka small.
If you have an aunt that was married at their area or an uncle that took a wife from their place,mention that and you must know the family name they married from or into .
Ask about their other children,this will show you have an interest in the family
I suppose your wife must have told you about her siblings,if there is any that had done something notable in recent times or one you spoke on the phone with recently or have met,mention that,the mom will be thrilled.
Talk about politics,whatever side papa is supporting especially if he is a die hard,must be your side grin grin grin

I can imagine this visit to be a very important one
You don't need to mention anything about your intention with their daughter,they already know that,just be a good guest and leave a good impression.

thanks so much u killed it

1 Like

Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 25, 2015
Jamean:
Groundnut ko, popcorn & garri ni.

You just want to tell them how their bae will be soaking garri in your house undecided

Lol. I know your type, Trying to sound like you don't shiiit or soak garri. grin

By the way, when I typed groundnuts, soaking garri didn't cross my mind. People chew groundnuts like every other snack.
Just as peanuts.
grin

P.s, only poor people think rich people don't soak/drink garri. grin
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 25, 2015
Jamean:
hahaha!

Wine - is for respect.

Salt and Live chicken!! On the first visit? For God sake!!

Did you even read what u wrote up there?
What marriage?? Its the first visit!
Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Nobody: 1:28am On May 26, 2015
Jamean:
Wine (preferably non-alcoholic) - is for respect.
Live chicken - that the marriage will bear children

They are very symbolic. That's how my immediate and extended family perceives it.

OP, never asked items for native doctor

2 Likes

Re: My First Appearnce @ My Inlaw's Place by Nobody: 11:37am On May 26, 2015
When you start with gifts, you must forever give it. Or it would seem like someone offended you.

As a man, just be prepared to give it all the time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lack Of Romance & Intimacy In My Marriage / Punishment For My Wife / Does Your Husband Help With The Child At Night?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.