Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,925 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) (26615 Views)

Dora Akunyili: 3 Years After Her Death / Dora Akunyili Had The Highest Number Of Awards In Nigeria / Chidiogo Akunyili Mimics Her Mother, Dora Akunyili's Posture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 7:47am On May 23, 2015
[Before this speech at the Conference, Prof. Dora Akunyili was asked to sit due to her health condition, but she refused to sit and delivered her speech standing.]

Nigerians have for long clamoured for an opportunity such as this to discuss our problems and come up with solutions that will strengthen the bond of our nationhood. I regard this national conference as President Jonathan’s best centenary gift to Nigerians, and a proof that he is a listening president.

Mr. President’s speech oozes humility, modesty, patriotism and a deep concern for the present and future of this beautiful country, Nigeria. Mr. President in that speech admitted that sovereignty belongs to the people. And those in authority are only holding power on trust for the people and of course that nobody has monopoly of knowledge. Hence, the decision for convening this conference. One thing that stands out from Mr. President’s speech is that there is no trace of negativism.

For instance, he made it clear that Nigeria’s unity is not negotiable and our duty at this conference is to discuss ways to build a stronger and better Nigeria and I totally agree with him.
I am convinced that Nigeria should remain as one nation after 100 years despite her challenges because our common values overwhelm our differences.

Apart from our long history of togetherness, we’ve also enjoyed many decades of inter-marriages and mutual co-existence. We have to make sure that this conference delivers on the true spirit of Mr. President’s speech.

While we discuss the value of unity as written in his speech, we must realise that millions of Nigerians are being discriminated against in various parts of this country where they are born; where their forefathers lived; based on the so-called state of origin.

The founding fathers of Nigeria had a dream of building a united, prosperous, and developed nation state where social justice reigns. We also have to continue to dream because once we stopped dreaming then life is gone.
In conclusion, I am convinced that Nigeria will work and fulfil its destiny.

I therefore look forward to collaborating with other delegates to chart the way for a better a new Nigeria. We all want to see a positive transform Nigeria and I therefore urge all of us to work individually and collectively so as to set the right agenda for the Nigeria of our dream.
Mr Chairman, distinguished delegates, I leave you with the words of these Greek proverb “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

http://dailypost.ng/2014/06/10/full-text-professor-dora-akunyilis-last-public-speech/

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 7:48am On May 23, 2015
Personality Profile:

Dora Nkem Akunyili (14 July 1954 – 7 June 2014) was the Director General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) of Nigeria and Nigerian Minister of Information and Communications from 2008 to 2010. She was a pharmacist and governmental administrator who gained international recognition and won several awards for her work in pharmacology, public health and human rights.

Akunyili ran for election as Senator for Anambra Central for the APGA in April 2011 but was defeated by Chris Ngige of the ACN. She immediately sent a petition to the Independent National Electoral Commission disputing the result.She died in an India hospital on 7 June 2014 after a battle with Cancer.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 7:48am On May 23, 2015
her last public picture...

showing visible signs of a sick woman, before her death.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by Brightology2(m): 7:49am On May 23, 2015
Pls ask d poster above me,wat is loading

1 Like

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 7:57am On May 23, 2015
she was a woman that believe NIGERIA will work

"The founding fathers of Nigeria had a dream of building a united, prosperous, and developed nation state where social justice reigns. We also have to continue to dream because once we stopped dreaming then life is gone.
In conclusion, I am convinced that Nigeria will work and fulfil its destiny."

she believed in excellence and professionalism. like the NAFDAC project.

what can you take from her life stand.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by Baawaa(m): 8:02am On May 23, 2015
Those who killed this woman,will not no peace

21 Likes

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 8:04am On May 23, 2015
Dora in colours

Some of the awards Prof. Akunyili received in her lifetime were:

Time Magazine Award 2006( "One of the eighteen heroes of our time"wink- Time Magazine Inc.

Person of the Year 2005 Award – Silverbird Communications Ltd, Lagos, 5 January 2006

Award of Excellence – Integrated World Services (IWS), Dec. 2005

Award of Excellence – Advocacy for Democracy Dividends International, Lagos, 17 December 2005

Meritorious Award 2005 – St. Michael's Military Catholic Church, Apapa, Lagos, 4 December 2005

African Virtuous and Entrepreneurial Women Merit Award 2005 – African Biographical Network, Dec. 2005

Award for the Best Government Parastatal – National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), December 2005

An Icon of Excellence Award – The African Cultural Institute and Zenith Bank Plc, 8 December 2005

2005 Grassroots Human Rights Campaigner Award London Based Human Rights Defense Organization. 8 December 2005

Most Innovative Director Award Federal Government College, Ijanikin, Lagos. Oct. 2005.

Integrity Award 2003 – Transparency International.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 8:05am On May 23, 2015
Baawaa:
Those who killed this woman,will not no peace

amen.....

because this is when we need her most

5 Likes

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 8:20am On May 23, 2015
The 1999 Letter Dora Akunyili wrote Buhari when she returned $12000 PTF Money :

Back in 1998, Dora Akunyili was the South-east Zonal Secretary of the Petroleum Trust Fund [PTF], when she had to travel to the United States for health reasons. Since her death in June 2014, it has emerged that she went to the US back then to get a cancer treatment surgery.

A letter has just been released which Akunyili wrote in 1999 thanking Gen. Buhari who was then the PTF Chairman, and who had approved £17,100 for her medical treatment. In the letter, she also returns some part of the money which she did not use, and Buhari was jubilant about her honesty and personal integrity.

In the letter from late Dora to Gen Buhari, she explains that she was returning £12,000 of the £17,100 because doctors decided surgery was not needed.

In a short memo on the letter, GMB wrote:

"See above report from PTF Zonal Secretary Zone 1. You see that there are still Nigerians with personal integrity. Please take action in line with PTF financial regulations."

The current Presidential elect for the APC party signed his memo on 10th of February, same day the letter was written.

See the full letter below, titled APPENDIX 1: Commendation letter from Ex-Head of State, General Mohammadu Buhari. It appears on page 320 in a book about Dora Akunyili's time in NAFDAC titled - The War against Counterfeit Medicine.

cc: Lalasticlala

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2015/01/picture-of-day-1999-letter-dora.html

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:22am On May 23, 2015
I'm sorry, but av said it, and I will repeat it again, and this time, I am not sorry..

the eastern part will remain I'm oblivion...the good ones are always destroyed both politically and physically... but the bad ones are the one celebrated.

for example: where is Donald, soludo, Dora, tam David west?

but talk of odua, jona, PEJ, and so on
..dem be celebrity

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 8:25am On May 23, 2015
We may loose the good once but we can live with thier legacies...

Below is document showing Dora honesty and sincerity. the letter of her money refund to Buhari

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=203857

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by uduokirika1(m): 8:56am On May 23, 2015
Dats my
Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 12:59pm On May 23, 2015
uduokirika1:
Dats my

of cos it has to be...
Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 1:13pm On May 23, 2015
Prof. Dora Akunyili in her son’s wedding, Dr Edozie Akunyili’s .

Dora and Diezani alison-madueke

cc: Lalasticlala

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by tunex23: 1:20pm On May 23, 2015
What a woman! #respect

5 Likes

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 1:23pm On May 23, 2015
10 things about this great woman.

1. Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) was born in Makurdi, Benue State (Nigeria) on the 14th of July 1954 to Chief & Mrs Paul Young Edemobi.

2. Dora is happily married to Dr. J. C. Akunyili, a medical practitioner.

3. She has always been a student of distinction – First School Leaving Certificate with Distinction in 1966, West African School Certificate (W.A.S.C.) with Grade I Distinction in 1973. As a recipient of the Eastern Nigerian Government Post Primary Scholarship and the Federal Government of Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship, she stayed at the top of her class. Prof. Akunyili won the best student award in the school of Pharmacy in her very first year in the school and the Vice Chancellor’s Postgraduate and Research Leadership prize in Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences for 1984/85 and 1985/86 academic Sessions.

4. Her first job was as a Pharmacist in the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH) Enugu in 1978. In 1981, she moved on being a graduate assistant in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNN. She was made Senior Lecturer in 1990. She went on the College of Medicine, UNN, became a Consultant Pharmacologist in 1996. She was a part-time lecturer at the West African College of Pharmacists, Lagos, Nigeria from 1992-1995.

5. In 1999, she was ill and was sent to London for treatment. The Petroleum Trust Fund gave her £5,000 to pay for tests and £12,000 for surgery. The tests showed she needed medication. She returned the £12, 000 to the PTF. President Obasanjo heard of this, sent for her, and charged her with cleansing the drug sector. Prof. Dora Akunyili was appointed Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Nigeria from April 2001-2008.

6. She survived an assassination attempt in 2003 on the way to her village. Her gels (head scarf) was riddled with bullets, but she was unhurt.

7. Professor Dora Nkem Akunyili was the Honourable Minister of Information and Communications from December 2008 till December 2010.

8. She contested the Anambra Central senatorial seat in the National Assembly against Senator Chris Ngige in 2011. She lost.

9. She was a delegate at the National Conference until the time of her death, and remained active during deliberations, insisting she was fit to participate.

10. She is survived by her husband, six children and three grandchildren.

And an 11th one, because we can. In 1988, her sister died because she was given fake insulin for her diabetes.

Prof Akunyili said of her sister’s death, “not only was it fake and did not contain the insulin she was supposed to take, but it was also contaminated and gave her abscesses. She did not respond to antibiotics, and we just watched helplessly until she died.”

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 1:24pm On May 23, 2015
tunex23:
What a woman! #respect

yes we do respect her over and again

1 Like

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by xtervaganza(m): 1:25pm On May 23, 2015
I really love this woman but she made me think again when she accepted to be part of confab even when she was clearly very sick.

Could it be greed for money or she loved the country much more than herself

1 Like

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 1:30pm On May 23, 2015
President GoodLuck Jonathan and Dora Akinyili

1 Like

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by robosky02(m): 1:31pm On May 23, 2015
xtervaganza:
I really love this woman but she made me think again when she accepted to be part of confab even when she was clearly very sick.

Could it be greed for money or she loved the country much more than herself

it was certainly the love for the country

18 Likes

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by dipopooo(m): 1:35pm On May 23, 2015
embarassedw
Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 23, 2015
Integrity like non other, virtuous and brilliant.

Desiani and okonji should take a cue from this woman... better to die celebrated than to live the life of a crook.

Women have always been known for their meticulous approach to monetary issues but thes two are somethings else...

RIP to A Role Model

7 Likes

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by RALPHOW(m): 1:36pm On May 23, 2015
LEARN HOW TO REPAIR LAPTOP FREE
http://ebowlaptoprepairtips..com/
Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by ogaofficer(m): 1:36pm On May 23, 2015
Am posting this on behalf of barca.nis.ta. he is a genius his mind is a masterpiece he has a brain which is divided into left and right. in the left part nothing is right nd in the right part nothing is left. For him to think that our pres elect wont suceed when he take over.

13 Likes

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by huhmuhyehmi(m): 1:38pm On May 23, 2015
ok, we Don hear...

justmak *Biko *my attached pic

Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by Drsheddy(m): 1:41pm On May 23, 2015
K
Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by Kingkamal(m): 1:42pm On May 23, 2015
One of buhari's apprentice. RIP
Re: Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty) by mohisi: 1:43pm On May 23, 2015
robosky02:

she was a woman that believe NIGERIA will work

"The founding fathers of Nigeria had a dream of building a united, prosperous, and developed nation state where social justice reigns. We also have to continue to dream because once we stopped dreaming then life is gone.
In conclusion, I am convinced that Nigeria will work and fulfil its destiny."

she believed in excellence and professionalism. like the NAFDAC project.

what can you take from her life stand.

Gen Buhari discovered this great woman

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG / Troops Neutralise Armed Hoodlums In Benue State, Weapons Recovered (Photos) / Goodluck Jonathan Inaugurated As Chancellor Of Cavendish University Uganda (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.