Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,767 members, 7,802,344 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life (607 Views)

High Heel Shoes Donated To IDPs (photo) / Two Electrocuted Trying To Save Others (Pictured) / Photos: Mama Who Donated Her N1m Savings To Buhari Spotted At The Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life by ruggedtimi(m): 2:57pm On May 23, 2015
Nadirah Muhammad, does not like to be called a hero, but she is certainly a life saver.

USA Today reports that, the physical education and health teacher at Detroit’s West Side Academy donated her kidney to one of her students, 18-year-old A’Ja Booth.

On Wednesday, May 20, Booth returned to school for the first time since the surgery, walking arm-in-arm with her teacher. Muhammad’s colleagues and students organised a red-carpet ceremony to celebrate both Booth’s recovery and the remarkable gift.

“This is what we do as teachers. I did not do it for the accolades. I saw a human being in need, and if it were my child, I’d want someone to step forward and help him,” Muhammad said.

“I am blessed and I am thankful. I can’t thank her any more than I already have. I look at her as my second mother. She’s a wonderful woman,” Booth said, fighting her tears.

It was gathered that last May, 39-year-old Muhammad overheard Booth talking to another teacher about a book she wrote describing and chronicling her health struggles.

“After I read her story, I immediately decided that I wanted to volunteer to donate one of my kidneys. If that was my child, I would want someone to do the same. It was a no-brainer,” the woman said.

After months of testing doctors determined that she and Booth were a perfect match.

On December 15, Dr. Jason Denny, senior staff surgeon and director of the Living Donor Kidney Transplant Program at Henry Ford Hospital, performed a successful operation and gave Booth a new kidney.

Dr. Denny, who has performed hundreds of transplants, said:“I’ve had a lot of combinations, but I don’t know about student-teacher. We’ve had ex-wives, and bosses and their employees.”

Muhammad, a wife and a mother, confessed that, she questioned her decision only once, when doctors told her there was a 2% to 3% chance she could die. But her faith in God and internet research about the safety of transplant operations dispelled her fears.

After the successful operation, Muhammad, was back in the classroom by late January. Members of Booth’s family picked up homework packets from school every week so she could keep up with her studies.

In honor of Booth’s return, her school was brightly decorated; the students were welcoming the girl with cheers when she walked in.

Dr Denny, who accompanied the girl and her teacher, told the crowd that Muhammad’s donation “shows that we can redefine what a hero is.” He took the opportunity to highlight the importance of organ donation.

“The original miracle of life is God’s gift. We agree with that. But right where you are, you can also give the gift of life. Ms. Muhammad did that for A’Ja,” doctor said.

Now healthy and happy, Booth, is looking forward to the future. She will graduate from school on June 8 and she is already planning to attend Oakland University

Re: Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life by Tunnamania(m): 3:00pm On May 23, 2015
She did well.
Re: Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life by olmde(m): 3:14pm On May 23, 2015
Exceptional stuff! Really nice.
Re: Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life by GboyegaD(m): 3:17pm On May 23, 2015
This is so touching. Indeed, some humans are angels in disguise.
Re: Meet The Class Teacher Who Donated Her Kidney To Save Student’s Life by Blakjewelry(m): 3:25pm On May 23, 2015
When I saw the thread headline I knew it won't be naija

(1) (Reply)

Today Is Sperm Appreciation Day / How Coming Home Late From Work Can Help You Save Money / Bvn Wahalla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.