Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,751 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down (17802 Views)

Erisco Foods Shuts Down Nigeria’s Factory, Relocates To China / Naira Gains as Nigeria’s Central Bank Boosts Dollar Supplies - Bloomberg / FCMB Shuts Down Branches, Sacks Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Adesiji77: 4:36pm On May 24, 2015
Five days to the inauguration of the Muhammadu Buhari administration, it appears that the Nigerian economy has shut down as the outgoing government of President Goodluck Jonathan is more concerned with sacking and making new appointments than addressing pertinent national issues that could positively impact the lives of the citizenry.

But like prisoners approaching the end of their terms, Nigerians are full of expectations as only five days separate them from May 29 when a new administration, which they hope will translate dreams into reality and expectations into concrete and visible actions, will be coming on board.

Events of the past few weeks in the country are, increasingly, accentuating these expectations and there seems to be a sense of apprehension among the citizens as to whether the country is shutting down in preparation for the inauguration of the new government.

Prolonged fuel scarcity, which has been aggravated by an industrial action by Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) and Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN), almost zero power supply nationwide and government’s morbid silence and inaction in the face of all these deepen the expectation and hope that the country and even life itself can only get back its essence from the in-coming Buhari government.

Nigerians have continued to groan under the weight of worsening economic hardship, occasioned by the current fuel scarcity.

Checks by BD SUNDAY revealed that many parts of the country have been experiencing fuel crisis which has since assumed a frightening dimension in Lagos and a few other cities.

In Lagos, the nation’s commercial capital, at the time of going to press, nearly all filling stations had run out of petrol. Analysts say the ugly development threatens the economy that depends almost entirely on imported petrol and diesel in the face of comatose public power supply.

Oil marketers under the aegis of the Major Oil Marketers of Nigeria (MOMAN) have continued to stick to their guns refusing to bring in any fresh consignment of petroleum products in protest against N200 billion they allege the Federal Government owes them in fuel subsidy from previous import arrangement which remains vague to the Nigerian public.

“We have not been paid, so we don’t have money to import. The Federal Government still owes us N200 billion,” Femi Olawore, the executive secretary, MOMAN, told BD SUNDAY on phone.

Isaac Abere, general secretary of NUPENG, denied claim in some quarters that tanker drivers were refusing to lift products from oil depots.

Abere said the fuel situation was basically a case between marketers and the government, and that NUPENG needed not be linked to it.

“Issue of fuel supply at this time has nothing to do with tanker drivers. There is no fuel to lift. We understand that major marketers involved in fuel import are scared that the incoming government might renege on payment of outstanding money owed them. That is the issue,” said Abere.

Corroborating Abere’s views, Comrade Abidoye, Lagos zonal secretary of the Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD), who told our correspondent that tanker drivers were employees of truck owners including Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO) and had limited say over the current fuel scarcity.

Abidoye said they were ready to lift products once supplies were guaranteed at the depots.

“We are on ground, but we can’t do it alone. Lifting of products comprises marketers, NARTO and us. We are presently off the roads because Lagos State government said we should leave to allow motorists enter since there is no fuel to lift. We are waiting for fuel to come,” said Abidoye.

It would be recalled that a few days ago, Yemi Osinbajo, vice president-elect, said Nigeria’s local and foreign debts stood at $60 billion.

Osinbajo made the revelation in Abuja while declaring open the two-day Policy Dialogue on the implementation of the Agenda for Change organised by the Policy, Research and Strategy Directorate of the APC Presidential Campaign Council.

Painting a gloomy picture of the nation’s economy, the vice president-elect lamented that most of the states cannot pay salaries on account of the country’s dwindling resources.

“Local and international debt stands at US$60 billion. Our debt servicing bill for 2015 is N953.6 billion, 21 percent of our budget. On account of severely dwindled resources, over two-thirds of the states in Nigeria owe salaries. Federal institutions are not in much better shape. Today, the nation borrows to fund recurrent expenditure.

“This is also against the backdrop of a highly unequal society in which, by some reckoning, the largest chunk of the benefits of our national wealth accrues to a small percentage of our population. Our manifesto offered a vision of shared prosperity and socio-economic inclusion for all Nigerians that leaves no one behind in the pursuit of a prosperous and fulfilling life,” Osinbajo said.

All through history, Nigerians have not had it so bad; they have in the past couple of weeks experienced extreme hardship arising from acute fuel scarcity in a country adjudged the 6th largest oil producer in the world and it has been such that many have started consoling the country by asking citizens to regard this period as that darkest moment before the dawn.

The incoming administration of Muhammadu Buhari knows pretty well that it is coming to power with moral burden epitomised by the change mantra that earned the All Progressives Congress (APC) and its presidential candidate the resounding victory in the March 28 poll. How they are going to employ that change to right the many wrongs of yesterday forms the crux of these expectations that are not only pervasive but also obsessive among citizens.

Analysts who spoke with BD SUNDAY alleged that the outgoing administration may have been so overwhelmed by the problems of office that it is now anxiously wishing that May 29 were to be tomorrow for it to exit.

Meanwhile, expectations are high that the Buhari administration will be a cure-all, at least, in the long run.

Expressing optimism over the capability of the incoming administration to address the ills of the nation, Olisa Agbakoba, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), said: “I think we are tired of election promises, because this time, we have a new President who has come to office on the major campaign slogan of incorruptibility and public accountability. So, it’s our duty as citizens to speak out and for the media to hold him to account. In the first 30 days, we want to see results.”

Agbakoba also urged Buhari to give Nigeria a new deal.

“Nigeria reminds me of the great depression in the US, when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the President. The country had collapsed and people were despondent. Nigeria has that same parallel. So, what Roosevelt did is what I hope Buhari will do. He should have a massive plan of action which he executes. Having been elected President, he must have come with a clear idea of who and who will assist him develop the plan. I have raised some issues which I feel are relevant for Buhari to address in the letter I wrote him. But if he doesn’t tackle the issue of national order and anti-corruption framework, the other issues such as the economic matters, financial services sector, aviation/space, legal/justice sector and housing/mortgage will fail,” he said.

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/05/citizens-wait-on-buhari-as-nigerias-economy-shuts-down/#.VWHt8k9Viko

Cc: lalasticlala, Ishilove

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by CR77(f): 6:20pm On May 24, 2015
Waiting 4 d change APC promise us

I hope baba atijo go do magic 4 us

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Gwan2(m): 6:21pm On May 24, 2015
Hmmm.....Wat else than to say O God, giv Mr President-elect the wisdom you gave Solomon d son of David to steer the affairs of diz nation to the right path....
Amen

28 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by wise7(m): 6:21pm On May 24, 2015
Seriously I don't think Gej has the thought of nigeria or her economy in his mind. He just want to hand over and jet out of the country for a "well deserved rest".

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 24, 2015
We want Buhari to get us off oil dependency by investing in education, refineries, power, and public transport.

11 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by CR77(f): 6:21pm On May 24, 2015
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by sammieguze(m): 6:21pm On May 24, 2015
Buhari is in soup.

The expectations of the masses is very high.

Debts are high

Resources are low.

Yet, everyone thinks buhari will solve all our problems.

I think if buhari can just solve power and fuel problems permanently, Nigerians will be grateful.

Very very grateful.

The guy must be regretting the fact that he won now.

He just inherited an empty purse.

24 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Pangea: 6:21pm On May 24, 2015
cry
Baba come and save your children o!
Badluck Jonathan wan kill us o

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by biafransoul: 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
Can baba one chance do it? The so called agents of change via Oando owned by the Tinubus collaborated with other marketers and Nupeng and Pengassan to shut down the economy but it took the patriotic nature of an Igbo man through Ifeanyi Uba to come to the rescue once again. In Nigeria, we know the true patriots and the confirmed saboteurs and hypocrites parading as agents of change. So mr Buhari, over to you.

9 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by okonelfg(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
Wait on who babaonechance?no count me out....the only promise am gonna keep to my self is living this country naija wen my presido hand over 29may....oh yeah he is not gonna rule me.....am not his citizen

2 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by ebamma(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
I dey laugh oh
Baba one chance were no sabi the meaning of subsidy na him was change naija economy
#we shall see

4 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by AdemolaA2: 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
we pray for a peaceful transition .that's all !!!
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by oluwatomisin93(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
hmmn just watching.
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by cleric(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
This is serious.
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by barackosama(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
Naija about to go offline. no light, no fuel.
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by falconey(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015

Jonathief!!! You will pay for this, people suffering and dieing.

6 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Apex32: 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
Hope Nigerian ar not expecting too much from him in less than a year sha angry
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by tosenbaba(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
This is serious
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Neduzze5(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
Where d messiah dey abeg.

Come and reduce fuel price to 1 naira per litre!

#BuhariJoker!!

4 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Mogidi: 6:22pm On May 24, 2015
Yes we're waiting for #babaonechance to apply his magic.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by bogolobango(m): 6:23pm On May 24, 2015
I won make GOD fast forward the 5days b4 uncle jona alias mr clueless go kill nigerians with fuel scarcity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Goahead(m): 6:23pm On May 24, 2015
Worry no more, APC will do the magic.

$1=N1, just five days to go.

1 Like

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by richidinho(m): 6:23pm On May 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by barackosama(m): 6:23pm On May 24, 2015
biafransoul:
Can baba one chance do it?
Biafra ..SMH
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 24, 2015
CR77:
grin

Google ''Resource Dependency.''

Then you will get the meaning of my intial comment before I modified it.

Here is an article to start you on the road....

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2004/aug/062.html

In an extreme case, the Dutch Disease can lead to "Immiserising Growth" syndrome - a situation where increase in the output of exported commodity by a country leads to a deterioration of the country's welfare (Bhagwati, 1958). This happens when the effect of export-led growth on a country's terms of trade is strong enough to more than offset the direct benefits of growth. It is an extreme case of self-defeating growth. Although the theory of Immiserising Growth was not originally developed for oil-exporting countries, its tenets apply to many oil-exporting countries in the sense that despite the substantial increase in their export revenue, they have suffered significant decline in general welfare due largely to mismanagement of their oil revenue. Thus, the Dutch Disease syndrome confirms the assertion by a Spanish writer in the 16th Century that "the gratification of wealth is not found in mere possession or in lavish expenditure but in its wise application". Although the main manifestation of the Dutch disease syndrome in an oil exporting country is the decline or depression in the non-oil export sector, other "collateral" manifestations include appreciation of the real exchange rate at the onset, increase in corruption, increase in external debt and increase in poverty. However, an oil-exporting country must not suffer from the Dutch Disease. Furthermore, not all oil-exporting countries suffering from the disease have all "collateral" manifestations at the same time. Country experiences vary considerably depending on their political economy.

1 Like

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by armadeo(m): 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
Bushdoc you never fail to amaze me with some analysis you make. Very apt and in depth.

Back to topic

Buhari has a lot of work cut out for him. He still has to smile with a no nonsense mien. Once the head is disciplined and doesn't take rubbish the rest would fall in line. Senate, reps Ministers etc.

Also I don't think he should pay those marketers cos I believe this subsidy is a scam. How much fuel do we consume nobody knows, how much was imported nobody knows. Only how much is owed.

Ole people. We will survive this.

2 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by debedebe(m): 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
Na whao... jonathan started with subsidy and ended with scarcity cry cry kiss

1 Like

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by tolexy007(m): 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
So I need to wait for Buhari b4 I can go to work diz wk?......o pari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
ok
Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by boman2014: 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
no matter what the PDP CABALS and TANOIDs try to hold us to ransom, May 29 will mark
the begining of their
JUDGEMENT DAY

7 Likes

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
Buhari is not the Messiah. The People have a role to play. We must protect the next President from APC and PDP. We must hold the National Assembly to their word. We must watch the government from day 1. Transparency and accountability. No more stories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Citizens Wait On Buhari As Nigeria’s Economy Shuts Down by 190: 6:24pm On May 24, 2015
Rotfl @badluck Jonanthan

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chikki Chicken Foods - Location And Contact Address / How Can A Nigerian Sign Up For Clickbank Affiliate Program? / Business Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.