Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,488 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale (8805 Views)

Chuba Ezekwesili Graduates From Yale University (Photos) / PHOTOS: See What Senator Ben Bruce Did To Iweala,obasanjo And Lai Mohammed / Breaking News: Nigerian Govt Orders Immediate Withdrawal Of Troops From ND (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by gregg2: 7:27pm On May 24, 2015
Abuja – The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has condemned the call for the withdrawal of the Doctorate Degree conferred on the Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, by Yale University, U.S.

A statement from NANS President, Mr Tijani Usman, in Abuja on Saturday urged the Yale University authorities to ignore the petition by one Mr Sunday Iwalaiye requesting it to withdraw the award.

The statement said the request was politically motivated and ill-conceived.

[b]It said Okonjo-Iweala was well deserving of the award, adding that the basis cited for the award perfectly described its understanding of what she had done for Nigeria.

“From our investigations, we have come to the conclusion that this is a politically sponsored campaign against one of our most outstanding and distinguished Nigerians.

“NANS totally and unequivocally condemn the said act, the initiator of the act and the vested political interests that are behind the act.

“It calls on the authorities of the Yale University to totally disregard the said petition.

“The position of Sunday Iwalaiye and his sponsors that are being promoted by a section of the media (Punch, Nation, Saharareporters) does not reflect the opinions of majority of Nigerians.

“We are aware that Okonjo-Iweala, as the Coordinating Minister for the Nigerian Economy, has been able to build strong institutions like the Development Bank of Nigeria, among others.

“We, the students, are aware that Okonjo-Iweala implemented an electronic personnel management system which has stopped corruption in the payment system of civil service by weeding out more than 60,000 ghost workers.

“This singular initiative has saved the country more than N200 billion. We know that this is significant because it means that the country has lost trillions over five decades.

It said that some “smart initiatives’’ of the minister such as YouWin and Graduate Internship Programmes had helped in reducing unemployment in the country.[/b] (NAN)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/why-okonjo-iwealas-yale-doctorate-degree-shouldnt-be-withdrawn-nans/

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by DickDastardly(m): 7:29pm On May 24, 2015
NO. The call is TRIBALLY motivated from .......... cool

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Mynd44: 7:29pm On May 24, 2015
NANS? Laughable

Seems everyone with access to the internet is jobless. This includes everyone signing petitions up and down. Those who are signing against NOI and the ones signing to support her.

I wonder where you people are with the petition against that silly doctor in America. Where did that lead all of you? Now it is petition concerning NOI

You people should sign a petition to demand for an open National Assembly but you refused yet you all have time to sign silly petitions for and against NOI to a university who could care less about your silly petitions....

Awon alainise gbo gbk

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by gregg2: 7:31pm On May 24, 2015
That petition was obviously political with tribal hate.

I visited that Sunday Iwalaiye's facebook and notice he is a very strong Buhari praise singer and a GEJ critic

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by gregg2: 7:34pm On May 24, 2015
DickDastardly:
NO. The call is TRIBALLY motivated from .......... cool

I have always said that tribalisn and corruption are Nigeria's biggest problems

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by socialmediaman: 7:36pm On May 24, 2015
They should write to Yale if they want that statement to take effect, but I guess Yale would be presently monitoring events in Nigeria regarding this award
Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Blakjewelry(m): 7:37pm On May 24, 2015
The call were made by those who will and never get to her stage if given 10,000 years more to live

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by eleojo23: 7:40pm On May 24, 2015
They can withdraw the award, if they wish after all, it's not like her life depends on it. The woman has already achieved a lot and those who know her value will continue to appreciate her.

Some of the people criticizing her have not achieved even a tenth of what she has achieved.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 24, 2015
What is NANS?
N ational A ssociation of N incompoop S

Pls vote SOE for Most Interesting Nairalander

He he he he..and remember...i know all of you by names

5 Likes

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Mogidi: 7:44pm On May 24, 2015
k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 24, 2015
Every Tom, Dick and Harry can discern quite clearly the underlying motivation of the petition by Mr Iwalaiye. If not politically and tribally sponsored by enemies of progress, what else was it.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by adesegun121(m): 7:47pm On May 24, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by tobtap: 7:48pm On May 24, 2015
who cares cheesy
Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by olamide224: 7:48pm On May 24, 2015
What A Loss! See What Death Did
To Obasanjo Just Today Again. So
Sad

what a great loss http:///2015/05/24/what-a-loss-see-what-death-did-to-obasanjo-just-today-again-so-sad/

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by skytreader(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2015
NANS? I can't help but chuckle.

1 Like

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by seedorfg(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2015
oko njo iwe ala, d1ck dance book open
Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by bestman09(m): 7:48pm On May 24, 2015
OK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by gen2briz(m): 7:49pm On May 24, 2015
“We are aware that Okonjo-Iweala, as the Coordinating
Minister for the Nigerian Economy, has been able to
build strong institutions like the Development Bank of
Nigeria, among others.
“We, the students, are aware that Okonjo-Iweala
implemented an electronic personnel management
system which has stopped corruption in the payment
system of civil service by weeding out more than
60,000 ghost workers.

Mr Tijani Usman should stop that weed, because it now affecting his thinking and reasoning.

5 Likes

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Acidosis(m): 7:49pm On May 24, 2015
Yale isn't as s t u p i d as those idiotic bigots who kicked against Iweala's achievement.

NANS should save the energy, of course Yale won't change its stance.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by indiraserv: 7:50pm On May 24, 2015
They seem to have a point with the points they raised but then is the economy generally better than it was 4years ago or worse?
I hope they weren't bought
Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 24, 2015
NANS should just remove their say from this issue. It is not within their jurisdiction. They are becoming too mainstream in their statements and acts. Okonjo Iweala deserves her accolades but the citation Yate gave her is the problem. That citation is not true.
Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by kenny091(m): 7:51pm On May 24, 2015
I just hope one day that Nigerian students can see an end to this menace called NANS. National Association of Non-Academic Student masquerading as real students when most of them are paid sycopants and political thugs who have not set foot in the four walls of any classroom for years. One day one day, we the real students of Nigeria will treat you guys eff up. Just misusing our name up and down. OLOBES.

1 Like

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by phransix147(m): 7:51pm On May 24, 2015
An Association that doesn't know its function meddling with politics whereas students right are being infringed on yearly... In Minna almost half of the school were automatically asked to repeat last session. Where was the foolish NANS? They were busy looking 4 whom they will give award 4 money!

Nonsense...

2 Likes

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by fr3do(m): 7:53pm On May 24, 2015
It has always been about the politics, I even suspect tribe and gender.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by boladez(m): 7:54pm On May 24, 2015
Blakjewelry:
The call were made by those who will and never get to her stage if given 10,000 years more to live

African mentality , thinking from back to further back!....what does that have to do with the matter of justifying HER AWARD?

Another example of why africa remains backward!

PS: Mind your tenses!

1 Like

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by CyberWolf: 7:55pm On May 24, 2015
The campaign against NOI by that useless Sunday whatever angry is the continuation of campaign of calumny by YORUBAS against Igbos...I don't know why people don't wanna say the truth but I will shout it here....Yorubas hate for Igbos is in their bone marrow...Very very dangerous and wicked set of people who will go to any length to bring Igbos down angry angry angry ..Though few of them are very good but majority are very wicked and dangerous angry ....They will continue to suffer as slaves in the hands of their slave masters up north from generation to generation. Hopeless bastards angry angry angry

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by BrokenTV: 7:55pm On May 24, 2015
soe:
What is NANS? N ational A ssociation of N incompoop S
Pls vote SOE for Most Interesting Nairalander
He he he he..and remember...i know all of you by names
Prove that.
Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 24, 2015
It is only a wicked person that will sign that useless petition to embarrass his own compatriot and a high ranking official. I for one signed the pro-NOI petition and I am happy that Yale isn't taking those bitter folks and their likes serious.

@NOI though I do disagree with some of your policies, I can never be a part of those that will seek your fall. You deserve the Yale honor, more shall you receive. You are a gem

Sai NOI

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by abbey621(m): 8:00pm On May 24, 2015
I could understand if Yale is giving her the award based on past achievements, for sure she has a remarkable list of accomplishments. Now if the award is based on the events of the past 4 years and the current state of the Nigerian economy then I would implore them to give it to someone else. This woman has allowed the corrupt elements of the Nigerian political system to influence her judgment hence the abysmal condition of the economy. I only wish she could return to her form which won her international recognition pre GEJ era, she was absolutely remarkable!

1 Like

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by Abuklaw(m): 8:01pm On May 24, 2015
I support the withdrawal of this woman doctorate degree because I am of the opinion that one must be able to practicality a knowledge we received accolades for. But in the case of NOI, she performed woefully the task of managing our economy.

She is indeed the worst thing that happened to the outgoing tenure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ignore Petition for Withdrawal Of Award To Iweala - NANS Tell Yale by drkay(m): 8:03pm On May 24, 2015
I blv its politically motivated, she really deserve the award. Although, NOI has been seriously polluted by jegs administration, used to make us proud.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enugu State Government flags off Nkwo Inyi-Akpugoeze-Anambra Border road / Nigeria- A Mere Geographical Expression- Awolowo(1947) / Minimum Wage: ‘All Agreements Between Labour, FG Must Be Implemented’ – TUC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.