Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? (5052 Views)

Sky Taxis Are About To Become A Reality / Colours Of Nigerian Taxis [pictures] / Taxis In Lagos: How Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by sleek(m): 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2006
Hello all, while this is a free for all, at least we should be constructive in our criticisms, as to the state of ther t axis at the airports either in Lagos or anyother airport in the country for that matter, I disagree with the opinion that they are are death traps, granted they they may not be anything near what obtains in europe or the America they sure are good enough and commensurate to our present standard, they can be improved upon though.
I have been priviledged to use them a no of times and they are by many standards ok, perhaps 7 years bak theyu were terrible but now they are much better, except you are talking of taking taxis way outside the airport area.
My man come home and see things for yourself some of us would just run down things without necessarily making certain of our facts.
I hold no grudge against anybody, but I think we should be constructive and honest in our criticisms. I want to second oloyefela's views.
Love to one and all
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by YinkaGal(f): 10:50am On Jul 12, 2006
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by classiqkid(f): 2:14am On Aug 09, 2006
Yeah I went in april, its pretty safe although its all that at the same time, na mean?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by inprecise: 4:33am On Aug 09, 2006
yes, many Yoruba live at the airport and learn intimidation from hawkers.  we have about 800 swarmers on each oyibo so they get scared of pickpockets and getting touched by the peeps with open scabs and wounds festering, trying to lift bags from oyibo, and such, and hawking unlicensed taxis and such, and asking each oyibo 10-12 times to buy x&x and such  but just be careful of the flies hunter because they carry mites and you might get midgeons disease or maleria ooooo.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by raphy(m): 9:03pm On Aug 10, 2006
hi all
taxis r safe in lagos for does of u who r spoiling nigeria no how u describe how country
i know there must be touts @ d airport but u v 2 be carefull if u r comin 2 nigeria for the first
time wink
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Akolawole(m): 2:47am On Aug 19, 2006
I have experienced it, i was not dissapointed at all.

I will still take the Taxis any day.

I took one April 2005 at MMA around 5:30am.

They were registerd with the Airport.

He dropped me at Ojota and even get me a car to Ibadan.

When are we going to Change from this negative attitude about our Country?
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by alabiyemmy(m): 7:18pm On Dec 29, 2006
People who spoil Nigeria live abroad and can't even take a taxi abroad, all they can afford are the buses and the train/tube rides, but in Nigeria - they think different.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by SEGUN2003(m): 12:22am On Dec 31, 2006
YinkaGal, brazil is cool, you should visit us here someday, you are bound to like it a lot.

1 Like

Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Imani(f): 4:24pm On Jan 11, 2007
alabiyemmy:

People who spoil Nigeria live abroad and can't even take a taxi abroad, all they can afford are the buses and the train/tube rides, but in Nigeria - they think different.

I live abroad and i took Taxis when i was in Lagos in the summer. I have to admit i was a bit scared as the taxi in Anthony from the taxi park was really dodgy. The door close to me didnt lock well and i had to hold it for the duration of my journey shocked. About 5 mins into the journey, the cab guy stopped to buy fuel undecided. I was just grateful i traveled in broad day light and got home safe and sound.

I know people want nigerians to be positive but we also have to be realistic. I would only take a taxi as a last means of transport especially in Lagos.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by diyobdw(f): 5:30pm On Jan 11, 2007
I have to admit i was a bit scared as the taxi in Anthony from the taxi park was really dodgy. The door close to me didnt lock well and i had to hold it for the duration of my journey?

You cold have stop and took another one. I quite agree that some could be crappy but you got options (one i use http://callacablagos.com/.)or other car hire services.

even at that spot in anthony you could find a nice yellow & black cab!
If you say Cabbing in Lagos is not say then motoring in Lagos isnt either!
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Imani(f): 12:26am On Jan 12, 2007
You cold have stop and took another one. I quite agree that some could be crappy but you got options (one i use http://callacablagos.com/.)or other car hire services.

Well, the cab driver was an elderly man, and i didnt want to be rude by insisting he stops. Next time i will put my safety first,
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by diyobdw(f): 9:22am On Jan 19, 2007
more like it! cheesy
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Unique5: 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2008
Well, it does appear that things are gradually improving. I learnt that the BRT scheme is intended to replace the Molues and now a new scheme that will introduce brand new cars as taxis in Lagos is afoot. I think the launch date is 1st of August and the beautiful thing is that it is purely private sector project only regulated by government
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by marjson(m): 10:13am On Jun 20, 2008
taxis are safe ,but make sure you always board one at the taxi park and not at the road side.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Unique5: 8:04pm On Jun 20, 2008
Why should it be difficult to get good and comfortable rides in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria as it is in other parts of the world? Even with all the traffic and all, if I can call a cab from my house, office or wherever I am and a cab can show up at my door within predictable 15-30mins and will drive me to my destination in a neat air conditioned car, bet i will park my car at home,
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by Pataki: 11:22pm On Jun 20, 2008
Yes they are.

I took a taxi last year to MMA, and I really enjoyed the company of the driver and his driving. He was pretty interesting and spoke good English. Never met him before, but I was pretty comfortable telling him to drive me straight to the MMA without mixing words with him.

So YES they are relatively safe.
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by GEW: 2:40pm On Oct 06, 2009
marjson:

taxis are safe ,but make sure you always board one at the taxi park and not at the road side.
THIS WAS ABOUT MM AIRPORT ORIGINALLY
Re: Are Taxis in Lagos Now Safe? by simplychic(f): 3:01pm On Oct 14, 2009
The taxis in lagos are safe if only you go with the right ones,we now have "Avis"& Hertz at the international airport and they are just like the avis and hertz you know outside nigeria the only difference is that theirs is a chauffeur driven service.
So if you love yourself i'll advice you to go with a registered car rental company.
xoxo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Shows How Hot Sudan Is By Frying Egg With Direct Heat From The Sun (Video) / Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! / Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.