Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:51 PM

Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) (744 Views)

Aisha Buhari Denies Report Linking Her To Abuse Of Privileges / Subsidy Removal: Nigerians Gear Up For Showdown Against Buhari / NNPC Pushes For Fuel Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by scribble: 5:19pm On May 25, 2015
Former head of state and presidential candidate of the Congress for progressive Change (CPC) in the 2011 presidential election, retired Major-General Muhammadu Buhari has denied report that he is in support of the planned removal of fuel subsidy as alleged by President Goodluck Jonathan.

In a press statement yesterday by his spokesman, Yinka Odumakin, Buhari said his position on the issue had been misrepresented "and misapplied by the President to suit the unpopular measure the government wants to take."

The statement alleged that Jonathan had at the opening ceremony of the 17th Nigerian Economic Summit (NSE) in Abuja on Thursday claimed that Buhari was in support of fuel subsidy removal.

Buhari described the planned removal of fuel subsidy as "anti-people measure which the PDP government wants to force down the throat of Nigerians."

He insisted that most of the elements that go into "what is called subsidy is the cost of corruption in the opaque business of oil import that has become a cash cow for the alliance of oil importers and government officials bleeding Nigeria white."

The statement continued: "Buhari maintains that the sharp practices that characterize importation of petroleum products suggest that the state of our refineries is a deliberate sabotage by these powerful forces who are doing illicit business at the expense of the welfare of the people of Nigeria.

"If this were not so, why is it that the public does not know how much a litre of petrol is bought from the international market and the places we are buying from? Why is consignment deliberately left at the Ports for I4 days to attract demurrage? Why go and pile charges at private jetties again which is also part of the landing costs."

He further buttressed his assertion with the deadlock between the federal government and states over the N250 billion that was to be deducted as first line charge for "oil subsidy" for only September 2011 "when that was the amount budgeted for the whole of 2011."

"It took rejection of cheques by the states for about two weeks before N65 billion was returned from this amount into the pool. Why has the cost of subsidy been rising monthly since January when volume of import has not increased and prices of petroleum products have not gone up in the international market," Buhari said in the statement.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-denies-supporting-fuel-subsidy-removal/102642/
Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by PassingShot(m): 5:22pm On May 25, 2015
OP, you no try at all.

I advise you try harder and smarter next time.

This type of old news (2012) has no relevance today.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by knightsTempler: 5:22pm On May 25, 2015
1. Independent Marketers want to be paid N200bn for forex variations.

2. NOI says the variations are preposterous and need to be verified by CBN before any payments can be made.

3. Independent Marketers refused to pay truck drivers. They claim govt owes them. Them dey pay truck drivers in dollars?

4. Truck drivers allegedly go on strike and refuse to load fuel.

5. According to Ifeanyi Ubah chairman of capital oil, a text was sent to all independent marketers by the association NOT to load trucks until their claims were met.

In all this all i can see so many inconsistencies...a truck driver interviewed yesterday pointed to his truck and said, he has been waiting to load since last week...does that even sound like someone who is on strike?

I can only see a bunch of selfish people who are trying to bulldoze the outgoing administration to pay unverifiable invoices...

They are also targeting the incoming government and giving them a sample of what they will do if they don't have their way...

It's a pure mafia 101 move...to win big, negotiate with your enemy when they are completely disadvantaged.

If the strike continue into Buhari's tenure things will be so bad that they will figure he will be forced to pay them instantly as the country would have been grounded to a complete halt.

It would be business as usual...just they way they like it.
Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by doublewisdom: 5:24pm On May 25, 2015
We do get president wey dey mad o
I hear it's old news sha
Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by theV0ice: 5:28pm On May 25, 2015
PassingShot:
OP, you no try at all.

I advise you try harder and smarter next time.

This type of old news (2012) has no relevance today.

My bro, dont mind the guy. If you read the body of the report itself, the premise on which GMB voiced his concerns are very legit and I'm sure will form the basis for whatever decision he'll take on the matter.

For instance, see this portion below where he talked of the process not being transparent enough to decipher what subsidy really means

He insisted that most of the elements that go into "what is called subsidy is the cost of corruption in the opaque business of oil import that has become a cash cow for the alliance of oil importers and government officials bleeding Nigeria white."

Then going on to list the various sharp practices that shoot up the bill fraudulently

"The statement continued: "Buhari maintains that the sharp practices that characterize importation of petroleum products suggest that the state of our refineries is a deliberate sabotage by these powerful forces who are doing illicit business at the expense of the welfare of the people of Nigeria.

"If this were not so, why is it that the public does not know how much a litre of petrol is bought from the international market and the places we are buying from? Why is consignment deliberately left at the Ports for I4 days to attract demurrage? Why go and pile charges at private jetties again which is also part of the landing costs."

The man knows what he's saying. When a searchlight is beamed on the process, we will know whether subsidy is actually being paid or some smart alecs are just ripping us off

1 Like

Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by PassingShot(m): 5:30pm On May 25, 2015
theV0ice:

My bro, font mind the guy. If you read the body of the report itself, the premise on which GMB voiced his concerns are very legit and I'm sure will form the basis for whatever decision he'll take on the matter

I only read the opening paragraph and stopped the moment I realized his folly.

In any case, I trust Buhari to act rightly on the fuel subsidy wahala.
Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by Young03(m): 5:30pm On May 25, 2015
Naija don tire me self

i de go
Re: Buhari Denies Supporting Fuel Subsidy Removal (November 2011) by theV0ice: 5:39pm On May 25, 2015
PassingShot:

I only read the opening paragraph and stopped the moment I realized his folly.

In any case, I trust Buhari to act rightly on the fuel subsidy wahala.

Sure he will. He's not wired to do otherwise

(1) (Reply)

El-rufai Vows To Go After Predecessor / Opinion- What Would You Remember President GEJ For? / 6 Killed In Ondo Communal Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.