Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP (17698 Views)

Fashola Visits Egbin Power Plant,Says Government Will 'Settle Its Debts'(photos) / Referendum: All FG Properties Will Go To Biafra, Debts To Nigeria - OEAS / Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by jpphilips(m): 9:49am On May 26, 2015
chronique:
Someone talked about Nigerian youths being intellectually lazy and as soon as I read that post,my mind flashed to your moniker cos you're one of such youths always eager to type and comment,without thinking or taking time to find out accurate information,before you talk. Obj got a debt relief for Nigeria,but didn't clear Nigeria's debt. He left an external debt of $3bn and about $13bn worth of internal debt. These are facts in the public domain which you have failed to access due to your intellectual laziness. What irritates me more is that,people who do not have a mind of their own and who are equally intellectually lazy like you,would swallow this your opinion hook,line and sinker,and spread it round to other folks in the same category. Let me ask you one quick question: how were you expecting Obj to clear all Nigeria's internal debts(including those incurred by the state governments)? Is the federal govt responsible for bonds taken by state governments? Is there any nation in this world that doesn't have debts? Are you aware that part of the monetary policies which government uses in reducing money supply in the economy to control inflation,requires them selling treasury bills and bonds? Are you aware that these bonds raised,form part of the internal debts? I followed GEJ's economic team's policies throughout his govt and I realized they were constantlyy working on reduction of inflation rate and trying to stabilize the rate of inflation. This is why banks were asked to increase their reserve levels with the CBN,and bank rates for borrowing from the CBN were also increased and invariably passed down to the consumers. The objective of these,was to reduce the money supply in the market as banks would have lesser cash to borrow out,and consumers would be discouraged from borrowing money,due to higher interest rates for borrowing. Bonds were also placed in the market and investors were given higher returns for buying govt bonds. This simply meant those who had money to spend,witheld their funds and money kept moving from banks,companies and investors purse,into govt purse.

who do you think you are giving monetry policy lectures when you cannot even ask the right questions?

Metu told us that Nigeria has debt dating from 1960, how can you believe that nonsense?
does metuh know what Nigeria's credit rating was in 1980?
Does metuh know the purchasing power of the naira in 1980? How could all these be possible if the economy was debt ladden?

i still rem vividly that in 1978, Nigerian economy was referrenced world over as a ''boom'', how was that possible if the economy was debt ladden?

What was Nigeria's credit rating in 2004 after the debt relief? How could that be possible if we had outstandings from 1960?

Let us for the sake of arguement agree with your figures OBJ left behind, over $60b in just 4yrs with nothing to show for it is abysmal, never mind that oil price was good within the period under review save for last year August.

State Govt internal debt is never the problem, it is the external debt that is the issue here and it is guaranteed by the FG, it is irresponsible of the FG to guarantee loans for governors who have shared Excess crude revenue, taken their Federal allocations, if not for political patronage, what else explains this madness?
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by 12345DKO(m): 10:16am On May 26, 2015
porka:

[size=16pt]
Is Osinbajo inheriting Lagos State debt too?[/size]
Yes. Because Lagos State will be part of his administration's responsibility other states included.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by jpphilips(m): 10:20am On May 26, 2015
peedeeasobie:

What is it about being objective that repels you? Caution and shape the reckless behavior of which states? Lagos? The mismanagement is both a problem of the FG and Lagos state and others.

Osibanjo told halftruth. If he says FG, the average will only think GeJ and his cabinet, meanwhile the chunk of the debts were accumulated by APC controlled states.

Try objectivity sometimes, it helps!

clown!! i doubt if you know what a loan guarantor is.

your guarantor is in a position to stop you from acessing any loan as a state, it is the irresponsibility of the FG that put Lagos in bad shape.

amaechi applied for an ADB loan for a water project during the cholera out break in rivers state, the moment he joined APC, iweala refused to guarantee that loan, Amaechi made some political concessions after a while and voila!! Loan was guaranteed!!

back to Lagos, FG is aware that Lagos has the biggest IGR in the country.
lagos has the 4th highest federal allocation, would ave been highest if not for 13% derivative.
lagos was amongst the states that benefitted from the ECA.

So, tell me Mr objective, what justified the FG to guarantee foreign loans for them?

If lagos wants to build Eko atlantic over night, or even turn to New wark, they can tax themselves to death for all i care, the FG was wrong to guarantee over $1b for Lagos at the expense of the federation.

iweala, Metu are in the same dumb league as Jonathan, no diff.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by chronique(m): 10:39am On May 26, 2015
There goes another ignorant Nigerian who doesn't know,but behaves like He knows. I would have expected that you'd take yyour time to do just a lil research before blurting out to counter me with your uninformed opinion. Majority of you guys here,suffer from the same problem(laziness to find out proper info before talking). Anyways,I'd give you a link from the DMO so you don't have to query my analysis again. It's a shame that you're trying to talk like you know,but do not even realize that Nigeria started having foreign debts even before independence. You still have a lot to read and know about your country cos you presently don't have enough info to make an arguement with me.

Origin of Nigeria's debt according to the DMO.
http://www.dmo.gov.ng/ardrnigeriaexternalanddomesticdebt.php

Finally,stop spreading that ignorant view of yours that GEJ accumulated over 60bn dollars debt in 4 years;it is wrong. Thank you.
jpphilips:

who do you think you are giving monetry policy lectures when you cannot even ask the right questions?

Metu told us that Nigeria has debt dating from 1960, how can you believe that nonsense?
does metuh know what Nigeria's credit rating was in 1980?
Does metuh know the purchasing power of the naira in 1980? How could all these be possible if the economy was debt ladden?

i still rem vividly that in 1978, Nigerian economy was referrenced world over as a ''boom'', how was that possible if the economy was debt ladden?

What was Nigeria's credit rating in 2004 after the debt relief? How could that be possible if we had outstandings from 1960?

Let us for the sake of arguement agree with your figures OBJ left behind, over $60b in just 4yrs with nothing to show for it is abysmal, never mind that oil price was good within the period under review save for last year August.

State Govt internal debt is never the problem, it is the external debt that is the issue here and it is guaranteed by the FG, it is irresponsible of the FG to guarantee loans for governors who have shared Excess crude revenue, taken their Federal allocations, if not for political patronage, what else explains this madness?
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by peedeeasobie(m): 10:46am On May 26, 2015
jpphilips:

clown!! i doubt if you know what a loan guarantor is.

your guarantor is in a position to stop you from acessing any loan as a state, it is the irresponsibility of the FG that put Lagos in bad shape.

amaechi applied for an ADB loan for a water project during the cholera out break in rivers state, the moment he joined APC, iweala refused to guarantee that loan, Amaechi made some political concessions after a while and voila!! Loan was guaranteed!!

back to Lagos, FG is aware that Lagos has the biggest IGR in the country.
lagos has the 4th highest federal allocation, would ave been highest if not for 13% derivative.
lagos was amongst the states that benefitted from the ECA.

So, tell me Mr objective, what justified the FG to guarantee foreign loans for them?

If lagos wants to build Eko atlantic over night, or even turn to New wark, they can tax themselves to death for all i care, the FG was wrong to guarantee over $1b for Lagos at the expense of the federation.

iweala, Metu are in the same dumb league as Jonathan, no diff.

I can see you just came across the word 'clown' for the first time, kindly find out how and when to use it in a sentence!

'Amaechi made some political concessions...', pls do tell the concessions he made.

So, the FG is dumb for guaranteeing the loan but Lagos state is not dumb for asking for it?

If FG had refused, you will still run to nairaland to cry foul!

The fact is, whatever APC does whether good or bad will always be right to you and whatever PDP does whether good or bad will always be wrong to you!

Mr. Non-objectivity.

1 Like

Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by chronique(m): 11:00am On May 26, 2015
Exactly. I don't have a problem with people supporting parties;no. I only have problems with people who always see the APC as good and the PDP as bad;people with such views are usually far from being intelligent. We all know politicians are all the same but when a set of people try to make those in one group good and the others in another group bad,it tells you how insincere and unintelligent such folks are.
peedeeasobie:

I can see you just came across the word 'clown' for the first time, kindly find out how and when to use it in a sentence!

'Amaechi made some political concessions...', pls do tell the concessions he made.

So, the FG is dumb for guaranteeing the loan but Lagos state is not dumb for asking for it?

The fact is, whatever APC does whether good or bad will always be right to you and whatever PDP does whether good or bad will always be wrong to you!

Mr. Non-objectivity.

2 Likes

Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by otr1(m): 11:03am On May 26, 2015
Forwetinnah:

The bolded is a compilation of All dept owed by past leaders including buhari. .Don't heap it all on GEJ. I really pity the people you lot are misleading on NL, I can see why your ancestor-elect is beginning to avoid some people in your party.
...and GEJ incur how much of that $63 billion?
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by jpphilips(m): 11:05am On May 26, 2015
chronique:
There goes another ignorant Nigerian who doesn't know,but behaves like He knows. I would have expected that you'd take yyour time to do just a lil research before blurting out to counter me with your uninformed opinion. Majority of you guys here,suffer from the same problem(laziness to find out proper info before talking). Anyways,I'd give you a link from the DMO so you don't have to query my analysis again. It's a shame that you're trying to talk like you know,but do not even realize that Nigeria started having foreign debts even before independence. You still have a lot to read and know about your country cos you presently don't have enough info to make an arguement with me.

Origin of Nigeria's debt according to the DMO.
http://www.dmo.gov.ng/ardrnigeriaexternalanddomesticdebt.php

Finally,stop spreading that ignorant view of yours that GEJ accumulated over 60bn dollars debt in 4 years;it is wrong. Thank you.

First, i will implore you to stop grandizing yourself with the pseudo toga of ''Analysis'', a capability you lack.

Your link from the DMO website confirmed that 1973 - 76 boom left Nigeria with a ''small'' debt, a debt by reference could be termed inconsequential because they were soft loans.

your source again confirmed that Ngeria's first major loan was 1978, and it was for 3yrs, your source confirmed it was cleared up by 1981 boom.

now tell me, how can metu tell you at your undeserved age that some of the debt jonathan has predates 1960 and you believe him?

your link equally confirmed that within Jonathan's 5yr reign, Nigeria's debt profile has skyrocketed judging from where OBJ left off, that is a fact!!

You can keep your Kangaroo Analysis to yourself.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by Nobody: 11:06am On May 26, 2015
BabaO2:

Impersonator , you are a ardent fan of the two foools. $1b out of $63b for the most populated state in Nigeria is too much?

be it 1 kobo or 30 naira.. it is still a debt and by International Accounting Standards,it should be clearly noted. Osinbajo blissfully ignored this and went on to strongly present FACTS now distorted by that omission - He is a professor not an illiterate.. He should not be found wanting - is this what to expect from the CHANGE Leadership going forward? Let us not forget Lagos State has not domesticated the FOI Act. why is it difficult to tell the public (whom you claim to serve) how you spent their money? is it yours to spend? is it your personal property?.. ohh I forget, one God-father claims ownership of Lagos and from all accounts.. he does including other states.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by bobgentle: 12:14pm On May 26, 2015
Genius100:
Dumb PDP clowns. All Osinbajo said was that they were inheriting a debt profile of $60 billion which is true...
for once speak the truth : who were they directly inheriting the debt is it not from pdp led fed govt.

may God help us from APc fake change / chain.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by mbulela: 12:19pm On May 26, 2015
BackDatAssUp:

The only major source of funding the 2014 budget was crude sales.

In spite of the drop in pricing which was duly captured in the budget with the low benchmark do you know we had no market for our crude since Obama blocked US imports from us but increased importation from Saudi Arabia.

If you major revenue drops the only option we had was to dip into our savings.

Try and post wisely.

try and use your own advice.
During periods of austerity, you reduce recurrent expenditure not borrow to maintain a life of affluence.
You will not hear anyone complain about borrowing to furnish capital expenditure as these yields results in the long run.
Who in their right senses borrows to fund recurrent expenditure? Are we Greece?
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by ossy4rill: 12:23pm On May 26, 2015
Everything Olisa Metuh said is absolutely true. Osinbanjo only told us Nigerias debt but refused to go into details in a bid to sway the mis-informed. The fact that we have very many full and partial illiterates in Nigeria has played in favor of APC.

Who said Buhari and Obasanjo completely cleared all the debts in their time. Obasanjo ensured that majority of Abacha debts were forgiven because it would have taken the country years to pay up.

The debt quoted by the VP is accumulated debt form 1960. If supporting a political party makes you loose your ability to think, compare statements and make research then i pity Nigeria.

Every incoming government in Nigeria has inherited debt and its how you manage the debt that counts.

SPECTATORS ARE THE BEST PLAYERS IN EVERY TOURNAMENT. EVERY FOOTBALL GAME LOOKS SIMPLE FROM THE OUTSIDE, THE FANS ALWAYS SEEM TO KNOW WHAT A PLAYER SHOULD HAVE DONE IN ORDER TO SCORE. YOU ARE NOW ON THE PITCH LETS SEE HOW WELL YOU CAN PLAY.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 26, 2015
ossy4rill:
Everything Olisa Metuh said is absolutely true. Osinbanjo only told us Nigerias debt but refused to go into details in a bid to sway the mis-informed. The fact that we have very many full and partial illiterates in Nigeria has played in favor of APC.

Who said Buhari and Obasanjo completely cleared all the debts in their time. Obasanjo ensured that majority of Abacha debts were forgiven because it would have taken the country years to pay up.

The debt quoted by the VP is accumulated debt form 1960. If supporting a political party makes you loose your ability to think, compare statements and make research then i pity Nigeria.

Every incoming government in Nigeria has inherited debt and its how you manage the debt that counts.

SPECTATORS ARE THE BEST PLAYERS IN EVERY TOURNAMENT. EVERY FOOTBALL GAME LOOKS SIMPLE FROM THE OUTSIDE, THE FANS ALWAYS SEEM TO KNOW WHAT A PLAYER SHOULD HAVE DONE IN ORDER TO SCORE. YOU ARE NOW ON THE PITCH LETS SEE HOW WELL YOU CAN PLAY.

A sizeable majority are illiterates
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by pallyking(m): 9:33pm On May 26, 2015
BackDatAssUp:

Not true. Shale oil had nothing to do with it rather Saudi pumped the market with too much oil in order to hurt Russia, Iran, Venezuela and Nigeria.

America's crude imports did not drop but the sources.

You are misinformed because Shale oil from American and sand oil from Canada meant that America was self-sufficient. The reason Saudi Arabia gave for over-production was to make Shale oil too expensive to produce and thereby raise the price of crude oil.

The other unannounced reason was to punish Russia and Iran; but in doing so, they cared not whether Nigeria or the other oil countries suffered or not.

Saudi Arabia is able to do this because it has so much foreign reserves, no foreign debt and can make large foreign income from foreign visitors making the haji pilgrimage every year.

Given the above, one would think that it was time Nigeria stopped wasting scarce resources going on pilgrimages to Israel and Mecca because God dwells in each and everyone of us and that hard cash can be put to best use in Nigeria.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by jpphilips(m): 11:23am On May 28, 2015
peedeeasobie:

Mr. Non-objectivity.

I dont expect you to have sense, Lagos and FG are equally guilty, FG had the power to stop Lagos but never did, jonathan is weak, OBj stopped Tinubu's lagos from accessing Federal allocation for 7 newly created LGA, even though Osibanjo won obasanjo in court, we are glad that OBJ put up a fight.
Governors agitated for the sharing of the ECR, Obj fought them to a stand still, just a little pressure from Amaechi, jonathan gave up the ECR, see where it has landed us.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by peedeeasobie(m): 1:07pm On May 28, 2015
jpphilips:

I dont expect you to have sense, Lagos and FG are equally guilty, FG had the power to stop Lagos but never did, jonathan is weak, OBj stopped Tinubu's lagos from accessing Federal allocation for 7 newly created LGA, even though Osibanjo won obasanjo in court, we are glad that OBJ put up a fight.
Governors agitated for the sharing of the ECR, Obj fought them to a stand still, just a little pressure from Amaechi, jonathan gave up the ECR, see where it has landed us.

'we are glad that OBJ put up a fight', pls you and who? Show me where you condemned Tinubu for creating additional LGAs.

Show me where you condemned Fashola or Ameachi for borrowing too much!

We are not ignorant of ur type of opposition. An opposition that condemns every act of Pdp but praises or keeps mute in every act of apc.

The next time you talk about sense, kindly ask ur self if you have any brain.
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by ONYX5(m): 7:33pm On May 28, 2015
ramdris:

Your parent (If u av any) did a bad job raising u.
and the only mistake your dad did was not using a condom
Re: APC Controlled Lagos State Has Both The Highest External & Internal Debts - PDP by veralech(f): 8:00pm On May 28, 2015
Only a proper probe can make the government of GEJ and PDP account for those borrowings and what they were used for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Buying PVC For N10 - Atiku Alleges / Stone Us If Buhari Fails To Deliver On Electoral Promises – Momoh / Lagos Launches Online Platform To Interact With Citizens (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.