Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market (17673 Views)

Pls I Need Your Advice On Vegetable Farming Business / We Supply Fresh Vegetable Leaf In Large Quantity / Low Cost 6 Weeks Vegetable Farm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:43pm On May 25, 2015
Need to sell your fresh vegetables?
The market is here!!!
We have access to open market vegetables all year round for farmers and intending farmers.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 11:01pm On May 25, 2015
What is an open market?
Open market is the general market for vegetables.
Trailers and trailers load of vegetables are pushed in every day
Different vegetable markets exist in different cities e.g Mile 12 and Organic market, Lagos, Bodija in Ibadan, Ilorin, etc
Characteristics
1. price fluctuates with season and demands
2. Every vegetable has got sold
3. One needs link to the market
4. Agent fee and market fees are involved
5. Products are mainly fresh such as Tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, Radish, Marrow, Indian Okro, Sweet pepper, Lettuce etc
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 11:11pm On May 25, 2015
Requirement to be in the network:
1. Must be a vegetable farmer
2. Have quality vegetable to sell
3. Can supply vegetable throughout the season
4. Will abide by rules and regulations of the market network
5. Arrange for product to get to the destinated market.
6. Make use of marketable and quality seed for planting
7. Use the recommended packaging material

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by noblefarm: 11:31pm On May 25, 2015
am in Jethro, planting my watermelon n cucumber dis wk, strawberry and garbage too.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 11:44pm On May 25, 2015
Fluctuation in Market price.
The same basket of vegetable that was sold to customer A in the morning for 4,000 per basket could be gotten by customer B for 8,000 towards evening time of the same day.
This could also be vice versa.

Fluctuations in price are greatly influence by
1. Demand and supply of product
2. Different season of the year
1. Demand and supply theory
During festive period, prices of vegetable increase astronomically. This is because every home must one way or the other make a special delicacies that requires vegetables.
We have 2 seasons in Nigeria.
Rainy season and
Dry season
1. Rainy Season: Initially April - October (7 months
Recently Middle of May - October (5.5 Months)
Could be attributed to climate change
Coastal areas do have longer period of rain e:g Lagos
Most farmers in Nigeria depends on rain for their crops. We can assume 80% of vegetable farmers also take advantage of the rain to cultivate their crops.
This automatically leads to more vegetables in the markets at that particular season.
Note
Most vegetables takes between 4weeks to 3 months from planting to harvest.
If the early rainfall were use to plant, that means the earliest time that vegetables will be abundantly available in the market is after 4 weeks for shorter maturing ones and 3 months for the longer duration vegetables.
That's why vegetables could still be expensive for the first 3 months of rainfall.
2. Dry season: Initially October - March (6 months)
Recently. November - May (7 months)
Most farming activities in Nigeria remain dormants during the dry season since there is no rainfall.
So once the vegetables farmed during rainy period has been exhausted, the prices of vegetables begins to rise because of great reduction in supply
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 11:46pm On May 25, 2015
noblefarm:
am in Jethro, planting my watermelon n cucumber dis wk, strawberry and garbage too.
You are welcome sir. Happy farming
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 12:08am On May 26, 2015
Hence to maximize the market, vegetable farmers need to adopt planting all through the year.
Hmnnn;
" I have not been able to sell the one at hand you are asking me to plant throughout the year"
Yes. I know.
My suggestion:
Planting all year round means a farmer can sell at all times and the peak and the low price period can actually favour you.
How? You ask me!
"A farmer will still make some profit no matter how small it may be during the low period"
" The peak period sale would fetch in maximum profit to Subsidize the low period"
Back to basic.
The current vegetables you have at hand is what we are offering you direct link to market to sell.
"So why all the epistles"?
It will be easy for us to relate with the market, pricing, seasons etc if we understand how it works.
To cut it short:
What all the grammars has been about is;
"There is market for your products all year round but price fluctuate in relationship with season and demand"
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 12:18am On May 26, 2015
What we offer;
1. Market access at the actual and prevailing market price at the specific time.
2. Prompt payment of goods supplied.
3. Daily update of market price for all vegetables
4. Direct links to several markets
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by wuyexzy: 3:04am On May 26, 2015
ma'am, if I got you right, that means you'll be buying the produce from farmers who are willing to sell to you.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 6:24am On May 26, 2015
Farmers send to market
We sell the product at the prevailing market price
Farmer gets paid immediately
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 6:26am On May 26, 2015
wuyexzy:
ma'am, if I got you right, that means you'll be buying the produce from farmers who are willing to sell to you.
No. We will not buy the produce.
BUT
We will be selling the produce for farmers once he or she send it to the market.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by Austin234(m): 7:21am On May 26, 2015
jethro2:
Fluctuation in Market price.
The same basket of vegetable that was sold to customer A in the morning for 4,000 per basket could be gotten by customer B for 8,000 towards evening time of the same day.
This could also be vice versa.

Fluctuations in price are greatly influence by
1. Demand and supply of product
1. Demand and supply theory
During festive period, prices of vegetable increase astronomically. This is because every home must one way or the other make a special delicacies that requires vegetables.
We have 2 seasons in Nigeria.
Rainy season and
Dry season
1. Rainy Season: Initially April - October (7 months
Recently Middle of May - October (5.5 Months)
Could be attributed to climate change
Coastal areas do have longer period of rain e:g Lagos
Most farmers in Nigeria depends on rain for their crops. We can assume 80% of vegetable farmers also take advantage of the rain to cultivate their crops.
This automatically leads to more vegetables in the markets at that particular season.
Note
Most vegetables takes between 4weeks to 3 months from planting to harvest.
If the early rainfall were use to plant, that means the earliest time that vegetables will be abundantly available in the market is after 4 weeks for shorter maturing ones and 3 months for the longer duration vegetables.
That's why vegetables could still be expensive for the first 3 months of rainfall.
2. Dry season: Initially October - March (6 months)
Recently. November - May (7 months)
Most farming activities in Nigeria remain dormants during the dry season since there is no rainfall.
So once the vegetables farmed during rainy period has been exhausted, the prices of vegetables begins to rise because of great reduction in supply

Am tempted to ask u what course did u read in skul? U are indeed a guru in agricultural practice. I wish to be like u. God bless u
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 11:57am On May 26, 2015
Austin234:

Am tempted to ask u what course did u read in skul? U are indeed a guru in agricultural practice. I wish to be like u. God bless u
Amen and Thank you
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by bamdexfarms(m): 1:43pm On May 26, 2015
Am in jethro. Pls how close is agbugudu village to your place in saki?
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 9:49pm On May 26, 2015
bamdexfarms:
Am in jethro. Pls how close is agbugudu village to your place in saki?
I dont have idea of the area. please which LGA is that? It will guide in easy location.
I will also find out from other farmers around.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:15pm On May 26, 2015
I have been receiving a lot of inquiries in my mailbox, sms, whatsapp and facebook as regards to the vegetable link market.
I want to apologise if i have not attend to your mails and concerns which have been due to:
1. My busy schedule on the farm
2. I want us to properly under
stand how it works
3. Want to avoid stories that touch. lol
I will therefore implore us to take time in reading through and ask relevant questions so issues will not arrive later.
Posting questions and concerns on forums benefits more people.
For Instance:
Some one ask if we can sell okro.
My answer :
If you plant the right seed¡¡¡¡
"Which is the right seed?
How do i select seed for planting?
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:32pm On May 26, 2015
How to select seed for planting
There are several seed importers and sellers at present in Nigeria.
1. The Technisem Seed
(Saving farmers since ages)
2. East West Seed
3 Continental seed
4. Syngenta seed
5. Others

Seed selection is determined by the market demand.
Most intending farmers purchase seed base on the expected yield per hectare/acre.
With the mind that the returns will be much.

The fact that an expected yield of a certain vegetable is much does not mean that the market will accept it.

The utmost aim for all farmers is to make profit.
Farmers make profit from what they can sell at a reasonable price.
Your selling price must be higher than your cost price
"Why plant when the market will reject it"?
The market must accept our products before we can sell to make reasonable profit.

What we learned;
Seed selection is determined by the market demand variety
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by noblefarm: 11:17pm On May 26, 2015
jethro2:
1. The Technisem Seed
2. East West Seed
3 Continental seed
4. Syngenta seed
5. Others

Most intending farmers purchase seed base on the expected yield per hectare/acre.

The fact that an expected yield of a certain vegetable is much does not mean that the market will accept it.

The market must accept our products before we can sell to make reasonable profit.

What we learned;

pls madam, what variety of tomatoes and do u know if d recommended seeds seller have office in ilorin? if yes pls link me, if not can u help in getting the seeds for me?. I have watermelon n cucumber, will need the rest as u will recommend. tnx
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by LegatusGlaber(m): 1:43pm On May 27, 2015
noblefarm:

I need to discuss something with you. Can I get your contact?
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by abuyuunus: 4:39pm On May 27, 2015
jethro2:
1. The Technisem Seed
2. East West Seed
3 Continental seed
4. Syngenta seed
5. Others

What we learned;

Which seed has been selected for this purpose?

Is it rionex from continental or technisem seeds?
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 9:57pm On May 27, 2015
noblefarm:

pls madam, what variety of tomatoes and do u know if d recommended seeds seller have office in ilorin? if yes pls link me, if not can u help in getting the seeds for me?. I have watermelon n cucumber, will need the rest as u will recommend. tnx
Tomatoes dont have specified demand. However, it is sold in grades. The big, the firm, etc. The quality determine the price.
All varieties can be planted but quality dictates price in the market
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:00pm On May 27, 2015
noblefarm:

Technisem seed are in Ibadan. They will definitely have an office in Ilorin
Better still talk to soloxam

1 Like

Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:07pm On May 27, 2015
abuyuunus:

Which seed has been selected for this purpose?
Is it rionex from continental or technisem seeds?
No seed has been selected.
The essence of the write up is a guidance to seed selection and not to condemn or choose a particular seed.
Every seed has got their unique nature. That's why the term "varieties" is use in describing seeds.
e.g A seed might perform well in farmer A's plot and the same seed could mess up farmer B's plot despite using the same method.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:10pm On May 27, 2015
Back to tutorial:
Seed is one of the factors that greatly determine your harvest but not the sole determinant.
We will be discussing the other factors in some other time.
For now our focus is market link.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by noblefarm: 10:13pm On May 27, 2015
LegatusGlaber:

I need to discuss something with you. Can I get your contact?
noblefarm8@gmail.com
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:23pm On May 27, 2015
Little About Mile 12 Market
The market is located in Lagos. Its one of the major markets for fresh vegetables.
Vegetable sellers come from far and near to buy produce from the Mile 12 market.
The market is mainly dominated by the northerners who work as agents/sales people.
Trailer loads of fresh vegetables are daily supply to Mile 12 from the North.
Vegetables like Tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, radish, tindy, marrow, green chilli, sweet pepper are some of mile 12 products.
How it works
Goods are brought in by the farmers to the agents/sales contact in the market.
Agents receive the goods and display for market women to buy.
Products are sold within the shortest possible time at the prevailing market price.
Cash from sales are sent to the farmer after deducting agent commission percentage.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 10:37pm On May 27, 2015
Your planting survey should start from market to farm.
Don't plant and start looking for market which is the norm with most farmers.
Planning from market to farm have the following advantages:
1. Plant vegetables that are in demand
2. Plan your planting to target the peak period
3. Using the right seed to avoid market rejects
4. Target customers need and work with it

1 Like

Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by wuyexzy: 12:56am On May 28, 2015
the vegetables you are talking of does it include ewedu, efo, ugwu and the likes cos it seems you ain't mentioning them.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by securi: 4:30am On May 28, 2015
Well done Sis.Nice one
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 6:43am On May 28, 2015
wuyexzy:
the vegetables you are talking of does it include ewedu, efo, ugwu and the likes cos it seems you ain't mentioning them.
I will list them.
But first thing first.
The information's are as important as the vegetables themselves.
There is no use going through the stress of planting and then your product get rejected.
Farmers and intending farmers need to understand the working system first.
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 6:43am On May 28, 2015
securi:
Well done Sis.Nice one
Thank you sir
Re: Fresh Vegetable : One Stop Guarante Open Market by jethro2: 7:05am On May 28, 2015
Mile 12 Sales Agents
These are the people that sells for you in the market.
They display your wares at the different sections allocated to it.
They are paid on commission. Based on the prevailing market price.
And like we already said, price flunctuates in the market so the commissions vary with selling price

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Egusi Melon In Large Quantity Engine And Handpeel / Let's Talk About Foreign Turkey Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.