Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People (1638 Views)

What Fuel Scarcity Is Causing,,,,,,photo / Imagine What Fuel Scarcity Is Causing In Nigeria / FUEL SCARCITY: 3 Types Of People That Can Get Fuel Easily At The Fuel Stations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Naijasinglegirl: 11:19pm On May 25, 2015
I was at my bus stop at 8:30am, dressed corporately because I had a 11am appointment to keep. The bus stop was crowded and I was holding N150, the standard morning fare to my destination. The first bus that passed had only one vacant seat and the conductor was shouting, "Enter with your N500 oh."
I thought the conductor was out of his mind until the second and third bus passed, calling the same price.
Regardless, people were scrambling to get in despite the outrageous fare.
Forty minutes passed and there were no more buses heading to Ikeja. The relationship people had already started calling their boyfriends to 'pick them'. Who was a single girl to call?
One hour later and I resorted to smiling at men in their private cars with the expectation of getting a lift from them. They just eyed me evilly and zoomed by.
See these "care for a lift?" men of those N65 per litre days oh?
At that point, I was praying to God to show me mercy, that I won't hesitate to pay the N500 if he brings another bus my way. I flagged an okada, okada said N600. To climb okada with my pencil skirt was war, I just gave up and told him to go. The leggedis people were already trekking forward. I started calculating how many hours it will take me to trek to my destination.
Have I mentioned the appointment I was going for was an interview cum proposal. The company needed someone to live tweet at a 2-day event this weekend and the pay is huge. Someone recommended me so they invited me along with others for an assessment.
Finally, one hideous commercial bus with one vacant seat pulled over and everyone chased after it. Two guys were even hanging on the door. Conductor asked me, "You go sit for my lap?" I had to plead with the lucky person to alight for me that I had an urgent appointment to keep. The conductor charged me N600.

It's strange how everyone is complaining of no fuel for their vehicle yet the traffic I met on the way was nerve racking. The keke I took at Ikeja was also double its usual price. I arrived the company 11:55am, disoriented due to my lateness and the person in charge said he was disappointed I didn't call to tell him I may arrive late. How could I when my battery was flat? No power supply since Friday, no diesel to power the generator either. My phone default mode has been on airplane and I turn it on only when I was to text or approve a blog comment. The meeting had long begun and I was lost as I took my seat amongst them. I didn't need anyone to tell me I lost the contract. I had to excuse myself briefly to the receptionist area where I pulled my extension, power bank, phones and a mini rechargeable lamp for her to power them. If I wasn't getting the contract, the least I could get was battery for my devices.

When the company offered me food, I didn't turn it down like the other 4 people in the meeting did. I didn't care as I devoured my rice and chicken hungrily. In all honesty, I haven't had anything solid to eat for five days now. It's been cereal, biscuits and agege bread since the cooking gas finished. The agege bread lady even sold N100 bread for N150 on my way back. I asked why, she said wholesale price of bread skyrocketed too because they said there is no diesel to bake bread at the bakery. We haven't cooked at home cos gas prices are hiked too so we have to wait till it normalise and the guy that usually delivers the gas said there is no petrol in his car to bring it over.
I was short of transport so I stopped by the bank on my way back but met a small crowd protesting outside. I asked why, they said the bank closed since 1pm because of diesel. I didn't even know how to get home. ATM was out of service.

In all, I am grateful for the vehicle that brought me back home this night. It was someone's company bus and the driver converted it to a commercial bus (unknown to his bosses) and charged a fair fare.

What about you? How are you enjoying the fuel scarcity?

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by kodded(m): 11:20pm On May 25, 2015
undecided
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Nastydroid(m): 11:26pm On May 25, 2015
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by spartoo: 11:29pm On May 25, 2015
babe, th situation is not funny at all..
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by NeduLuiZ(m): 11:44pm On May 25, 2015
In burna's voice situation critical grin
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by elantraceey(f): 11:52pm On May 25, 2015
I just found out two things that can seriously shake a nation .
-Fuel power supply.
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Nobody: 12:01am On May 26, 2015
No be small thing oooo. I also boarded ikeja bus #500 dis mawin
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Merlissa(f): 5:58am On May 26, 2015
In fact the tin no get part 2!
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Mrcapability7: 6:19pm On May 26, 2015
Who was d one single girl to call ?? gringrin can't u remember me ur long time admirer to pick u up
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by ednut1(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2015
this babe is hilarious, for d mumu bloggers learn from her. not putting fake pics or nudes to trick pple to ur site, or giving half story wit ur sorry link

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by timilehing(m): 8:53pm On May 26, 2015
Always original. I too gbadun ur blog
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 26, 2015
I did turn my Fridge to cupboard,and Nepa line as clothes line..
The worst weekend for me in many years.
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by bawberry(m): 3:11am On May 27, 2015
It happens just try not to be single, u can't be naija single girl forever......
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:00am On May 27, 2015
Nice writeup
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by uboma(m): 4:07am On May 27, 2015
ednut1:
this babe is hilarious, for d mumu bloggers learn from her. not putting fake pics or nudes to trick pple to ur site, or giving half story wit ur sorry link

Seconded. The op is indeed gifted.

Who wouldn't laugh after reading this piece despite the hard times we are currently in?

@ op, well done and please keep it up.
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Nobody: 6:30am On May 27, 2015
Fuel scarcity will affect every individual activity even to the rate of breast feeding a child.. after washing my dirty clothes i wanted to spread it on the line but it's already occupied because almost all my neighbour do some laundry, they are all at home because of fuel scarcity.. imagine, a man can even not last on bed like he used to because he didn't get kerosene to cook correct food chop. I told you.
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Naijasinglegirl: 7:57am On May 27, 2015
ednut1:
lol. Thanks
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by sucess001(m): 7:58am On May 27, 2015
You for call me to come pick u na
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Naijasinglegirl: 7:58am On May 27, 2015
uboma:

Seconded. The op is indeed gifted.

Who wouldn't laugh after reading this piece despite the hard times we are currently in?

@ op, well done and please keep it up.
And you too Uboma. Thank youu
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Naijasinglegirl: 8:00am On May 27, 2015
Thugnificient:
Fuel scarcity will affect every individual activity even to the rate of breast feeding a child.. after washing my dirty clothes i wanted to spread it on the line but it's already occupied because almost all my neighbour do some laundry, they are all at home because of fuel scarcity.. imagine, a man can even not last on bed like he used to because he didn't get kerosene to cook correct food chop. I told you.
lmao. Wetin concern diesel with s*x?
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by sucess001(m): 8:05am On May 27, 2015
It's terrible actually. Mine is even manageable. Got some fuel in my car but not much so I go wit my neighbour to Wrk but prices of foodstuffs have gone bananas!

You can even vex and go on some trips again...I can't remember wen I put on d Ac in my car or in my house...

Dtss y wen I went to see a movie in d cinemas and AC touch me...I slept for 90% of d movie...no be small tin
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Nobody: 8:19am On May 27, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
lmao. Wetin concern diesel with s*x?
in many ways my brother.. part of which i'v explained above.
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by pickabeau1: 8:31am On May 27, 2015
elantraceey:
I just found out two things that can seriously shake a nation .

-Fuel
power supply.

you just spoke about the keystone of civilization - Energy

Our collective psyche has been so bastardised to the extent that these basic piece of the puzzle is no more basic
Until the security of energy is sorted out, we will still be in this position
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by slimyem: 10:00am On May 27, 2015
Interesting read. Captures the situation succinctly.
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by Mhizizzy(f): 7:56am On Jun 11, 2015
Nice capture of d whole situation
Re: How Fuel Scarcity Is Frustrating Broke And Single People by slimmyjimmy(m): 11:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
Much love to NSG

(1) (Reply)

Rest Periods Are A Critical Element Of Strong Muscle Growth / Different Types Of People You Can Meet At Nigeria Viewing Centers / I Need An Idea On Exportation Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.