Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,456 members, 7,781,313 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:18 PM

Fashola Explains Lagos Debt - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Explains Lagos Debt (25154 Views)

Speak Now On Your Indictment By Tinubu Over Lagos Debt Burden, PDP Tells Fashola / Buhari Explains Why He Missed A Meeting On Boko Haram At The UN / Fashola Dancing Shoki At APC Campaign Rally (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by deebsman1(m): 11:36am On May 26, 2015
i think the incoming government, the Press and NGO's should press for more of this for all and every tier of govt in Nigeria, forcing them to be publishing their contracts awards in public domain, this can go a very long way in enhancing transparency, like there should be an NGO that will be coordinating a central database where all the awards and contracts from all the 774 local governments, the 36 states, the FG, all the MDAs and every other public organizations for the public to be keeping record of. If not for the internet, we won't be seeing this facts and figures.
I think the APC in part of their campaign promises said they are gonna be publishing the record of any contract above #100 million and we are waiting for that.
my verdict abt fashola is this; the dude fashola performed above average going by the Nigerian standard, but as you will have it anywhere else in the world or most especially Nigeria, many of those contracts are inflated. But i think its beta than the PDP guys that will make provisions, also inflate the amounts but u just won't see anything to show for it.
anonimi:

See more tables of the SCAM and FRAUD in the quoted post/thread.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by udeh3(m): 11:45am On May 26, 2015
Dbboy:

The sophisticated ones this is the hight of hypocrisy one claim to leave behind non functional street light, poorly trained lastma and not so many drivable road while at the opposite end his opponent that left a functional train system,25000 km renovated road remodeled airport that are visible and brings in income is been vilified I thought the south westerners are rational I can now see them for what the are this is the hight of hypocrisy and bigotry.

You can say that again... I thought the people of Lagos went to school, though going to school does not translate to been educated... we must learn to acquire and analyse datas, this will help us in accessing our leaders on day-day basis, not this myopic and bigotry comment

Godbless Nigeria!
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by naijanoni(m): 11:52am On May 26, 2015
yimikaa:
This guy is so intelligent. Fash baba

Backing it up with facts and figures,laying it bare,even a layman would understand his explanation.
True. But we've got intelligent criminals/liars.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by icedbreez(m): 11:58am On May 26, 2015
A simple question for you too Mr shaqhead, if Nigeria come to you tomorrow to buy her bearer bonds, would u buy? Yes off course a smart fella like u ll buy because u no nig is credit worthy. If u re gullible enough to claim Mr Fashola used his huge both local and international debts for ONLY capital Expenditure then off course I too will tell you the Federal Gorment also provided a lot of infrastructure for Nigeria through her debt. You can believe what u want to believe and I ll ultimately believe what I want to believe too but the bottom line is he who is in a glass house should not throw stones. GEJ is leaving behind huge local and foreign debts, Fashola is leaving behind also a lot of local and foreign debts. Desist from making one appear a devil and the other a saint.

shaqhead:

Simple economics, thats if u have a faint idea of what that is wl teach u that debt is nt "debt" as u put it...there is good debt and bad debt!

Yes, Lagos is in debt but d debt incured is for Capital and not Recurrent Expenditure(world of difference)-mind u he has nevr defaulted in salary payments.

Simply put, d debt was "invested"!

Did u miss the part where he syd there is 100billion in an account to service those debts.

Dangote is in debt as we speak but if he comes to u to borrow him 50 million, wl u lend him d money? Of course u wl! Why? Cos u kno he has d capacity to pay! That is Lagos State for U, so u undrstand!
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by ossy4rill: 11:59am On May 26, 2015
A lot o people will support even APC even if a blank paper is shown to them as proof because they wish to keep their hopes of change alive.

All i want to say is STOP THIS MADNESS

As APC provided paper proof - They are honest | If PDP does same - Who are they fooling they just write rubbish for paper.

As Lagos state(Under APC) borrowed money -It mist be for a geninue reason | If PDP does same - Why should they borrow

It will be very stup1d of you to assume that the individuals in APC are not politicians but saints
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 26, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Can Someone Remind Us, What the Useless Fedora Wearing Drunkard from Otuoke is leaving Behind?

He is leaving behind a free society where fools like you have the guts to say anything you wanna say without being persecuted.
He's leaving behind Operation aquila
He's leaving behind dry season fadama farming
--------------------------- zero case of polio since july 2014
--------------------------- a reformed agriculture whereby farmers can easily and less expensively acquire fertilizers
--------------------------- 35 almajiri schools
--------------------------- 7 new universities
--------------------------- a reformed nigeria where we can now see our groundnut pyramids back in kano.

You can call him Useless but he's more blessed than anyone in your generation will ever be.
Lecturer to deputy governor to governor to vice-president to President. And you call him useless, I rather be clueless and useless and achieve all he has than be useful and still be an average citizen.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by adconline(m): 12:20pm On May 26, 2015
How much of that was used to refinance and buy-out Lekki-Expressway contractors like LCC, Hitech -all owned by Tinubu?
How come over $1bn was spent on a 34km light rail without completion while Ethiopia spent $475 m on a similar project and it's up and running??
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by StObaino1(m): 12:28pm On May 26, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Can Someone Remind Us, What the Useless Fedora Wearing Drunkard from Otuoke is leaving Behind?

If what he said at building primary and secondary school can justify his debt of billions of naira, than GEJ is justified of his debt with the University he built.....

#BabaJailThemAll..
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by rehpop(m): 12:35pm On May 26, 2015
but are you aware that federal government actually was a hindrance to the same rail project for about 2 years in-between?
NoMoreTrolling:

You guys are grave Behind lickers.

Like are you guys for real?

How can someone who incurred that amount of debt be so intelligent when you can't even place your finger on what it was used for?

Where is the light rail for instance? A system that was to be in operation by June 2013, that's like 2 years ago, smh undecided

Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by cheaperstores: 1:08pm On May 26, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Oliseh Mumu, Can the same be said of the 60Billion Dollars Debt, you and your useless Party with Dundee President left behind?
did u read breakdown of USD60b that only USD18.1 was owed by GEJ administration and others are debts of states and previous administration.Try to balance your reports before you talk APC man.A lot of you are just obsessed with APC and do not bother to check other facts.APC is in govt now they should examine the debt profile and tell us if Okonjo lied?
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by shaqhead: 1:46pm On May 26, 2015
icedbreez:
A simple question for you too Mr shaqhead, if Nigeria come to you tomorrow to buy her bearer bonds, would u buy? Yes off course a smart fella like u ll buy because u no nig is credit worthy. If u re gullible enough to claim Mr Fashola used his huge both local and international debts for ONLY capital Expenditure then off course I too will tell you the Federal Gorment also provided a lot of infrastructure for Nigeria through her debt. You can believe what u want to believe and I ll ultimately believe what I want to believe too but the bottom line is he who is in a glass house should not throw stones. GEJ is leaving behind huge local and foreign debts, Fashola is leaving behind also a lot of local and foreign debts. Desist from making one appear a devil and the other a saint.

Ofcos u r entitled to ur opinion n u cn hold onto it all u wnt even in d face of superior arguments and empirical evidence.

The overiding question wc u hv chosen nt to ask wc cleaarly delineates the "saint" and the "devil" as u called d characters compared is "What is done wt d debt incured?" There is no need goin into that because it wl leave wt no option to label one a "saint" and d odr a "devil".

I ask u this again if u ddnt c it "did u miss the part where he syd there is 100billion in an account to service those debts?

If anthing he has said is nt factual, d Olisa Metuhs hv dia way of determinin its veracity.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by brixton: 1:47pm On May 26, 2015
aresa:

I really wasn't expecting anything sane and intelligent from your type..

Like you were intelligent in ur first response?
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by brixton: 1:55pm On May 26, 2015
J
olatunji21:

There's a 10-lane Lagos-Badagry express road with rail line@d hrt of it.. This project cut across Marina, Orile, Alaba down to Badagry, this project when completed would upgrade d status of Lagos as a megacity.. This project cut across iyana Iba, Lasu road, Volks, Okokomaiko et el...

There's a 6 Lane Ikorodu road which have just been commissioned by the governor...

There's is Ayinke house @Ikokun.. This is Low cost housing estate....

i know of the office of the public defendant in Surulere

Not forgetting Adiyan waterworks with a projected 20Million gallons a day..The project its aggressively been pursued...

There's is mass transit in Lagos, this has curtained/Checkmate excessive price racketeering

We have one of d best waste disposal system in Africa

Security in Lagos is a top-notch.

I could go on and on... Fashola though not a Saint is Years above all other governors in Nigeria...I believe he would perform more without a Tinubu influence...
He neither have a Master degree nor does he has a PHD like sum pple..

Bro, Gov Fashola is also not an Harvard Trained Economics Professor who borrows to pay salaries..

He's an ordinary Charge and Bail Lawyer...Respect

I see you try so hard to sell Fashola... Talking about security in lagos, I need point out that I pay gateman, estate and the OPC to secure the house/estate I live in lagos; this is called taking care of my personal security and no way connected to Fashola' debts.

You talk about a few road projects including those of the federal govt as if they equal to hospitals and drinkable water in the slums I mentioned.

Try to visit any of the aforementioned on raining days to attest for fashola' poor delivery despite all the funds from loans, FG and IGR that's given to lagos.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by brixton: 2:00pm On May 26, 2015
rabzy:

I knew how Lagos was and how it is now. Fashola's projects has been far reaching to different areas of the state. He has been everywher. So long as there are poor people existing, there would always be slums. Destroy one, new ones would be created.

@ iyana ipaja, a link road was done that goes from pleasure bus stop on the express into aboru and comes out behind the BRT lane @ iyana ipaja. Not long ago, the road from iyana ipaja all the way to iktun was expanded with walkways provided and better drainage.

@ iayana iba, there is a link road that was done that you can take to go to badagry without getting into the gridlock @ lasu. The double lane road takes off after the long bridge and leads to okokomaiko saving time, stress and money. Remember also that the isheri. Lasu expressway was recently expanded and properly rebuilt.
There is also a massive, probably the biggest so far aside from ilubirin under construction, that has been completed @ igando very close to iba.

There are also a number of link roads that was just done that takes off from the isheri-iba expressway and goes to abaranje, council all in ikotun-idimu area.

The 10 lane expressway to badagry is still ongoing, they are currently at trade-fair junction. The terrible gridlock from lasu to alakija has drastically reduced.

@ejgbo, there is a link bridge from ajao estate to ejigbo that was built, and several streets were tarred linking NNPC. The NNPC road was also done. Then the road from ejigbo linking idimu is almost completed. Massive demolition was done @ idimu, ancient ancestral homes and graveyards where relocated to allow for the expansion. Although until that isolo-ejigbo- ikotun road is done. People in that axis would never be happy. I don't know why that road has not been done. It is too important to be left in that state..

Could more be done yes, has appreciable effort been expended yes. That's my take.

How many govt hospitals with top notch facilities do we have in these slums? Do they have drinkable water? Pls visit these hood during any of the raining days and see for yourself how poor your Fashola performed in service delivery despite the trillions he got over the years.
We have suffered so much that we accept poor performance as the best in the midst of worst performance. Lagos is a strategic state with vast resources. Opebi is flooded whenever it rains, what then happens in modest slum when it rains?
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 26, 2015
brixton:
J

I see you try so hard to sell Fashola... Talking about security in lagos, I need point out that I pay gateman, estate and the OPC to secure the house/estate I live in lagos; this is called taking care of my personal security and no way connected to Fashola' debts.

You talk about a few road projects including those of the federal govt as if they equal to hospitals and drinkable water in the slums I mentioned.

Try to visit any of the aforementioned on raining days to attest for fashola' poor delivery despite all the funds from loans, FG and IGR that's given to lagos.
Even the affluent suburb of ikoyi and Lekki are not saved in this raining season, this cannot be attributed to govt ineptitude but rather Natural disaster..Go 2ru my post again, i never made mention of any federal government project and to be candid, FG is almst non existent in Lagos in d past 5/6yrs expect u want to mention Gani Adam pipeline contract... .My slum in Ajegunle have 2standard general hosp, numerous primary health center, newly built road, renovation of dilapidated school structures, Infact new ones were also constructed..These are project i could personally see, feel and affect my day-to-day activites..if a.j could be given attention, i wonder what have, is or been planned for other areas....
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by boujaye: 2:42pm On May 26, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
~Fashola

This is a Technical Knock Out for The Taniods, Satans, and the Useless Oliseh Mumu! grin grin

what makes it a technical knockout? i thought it is an abomination for any state, federal or any other to be indebted even with such an outrageous Fashola debts. None of you bigots and sycophants will challenge him that he pocketed billions of Naira, no matter his claim, just because he is an APC
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by darelar(m): 2:59pm On May 26, 2015
sunnydayasaba:
Yes Fashola has cleared d air to an extent, But he still needs to tell the Taxpayers why most of the contract are inflated. I know some people will quote me and say he pays compensation to victims during constructions, but yet, Most Lagos contract are just too over inflated that even a blind man can see through it.

If you doubt me, pls take time out to search for d contracts awarded for building new blocks of classroom, it this case, compensations are mostly not paid, then you know what am talking abt.
in all government contract, there's always inflation because it's avenue for the contractor to make enough profits and almost almost everyone that's aware of the contract will take there share. the secretary, accountants, and even PA will tell you that they will collect so percentage and even the mada self will collect her share . They'll even give you what the figures will look like .tthe inflation is from federal down to even private body. The good thing is that he execute theprojects. Unlike someone that approved 2 billion naira sand project when he was governor around 2006, that the state indigen don't have to buy sand to build their houses, just go to the sand dump and collect what you need to build your house. He signed the money bu not even a single sand was pump for the indigen to use.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by brixton: 3:21pm On May 26, 2015
N
olatunji21:

Even the affluent suburb of ikoyi and Lekki are not saved in this raining season, this cannot be attributed to govt ineptitude but rather Natural disaster..Go 2ru my post again, i never made mention of any federal government project and to be candid, FG is almst non existent in Lagos in d past 5/6yrs expect u want to mention Gani Adam pipeline contract... .My slum in Ajegunle have 2standard general hosp, numerous primary health center, newly built road, renovation of dilapidated school structures, Infact new ones were also constructed..These are project i could personally see, feel and affect my day-to-day activites..if a.j could be given attention, i wonder what have, is or been planned for other areas....

Becos the APC is good with the media does not mean every lagosian fall for their propaganda without much work to show for it. If Fashola did so much with the funds at his disposal, why is SERAP dragging him to the courts for accountability on the loans he took? We can argue back and forth about his achievements but does his work come to terms with the amount of money at his desposal? Even Theodore Orji will b called a magician if given Lagos state and all her benefits.

Stop trying in futility to justify Tinubu and Fashola' massive corruption... You people have been blinded to the fact that Lagos has been a one Party state since the days of tInubu and there is little or no info on how lagos money is expended.

I rest my case!
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by aresa: 3:58pm On May 26, 2015
radgenez:
This APC PDP war on NL is just stupid. Agreed fashola did a lot of projects but that was mostly in his first term. But the bulk of debts owed emanated for his second term despite all the trillions they generate yearly lagosians still provite their own water most lagos roads are a eyesore the drainage system in place like oshodi,musjin is just terrible so fashola should stop bragging and explain where all thosE funds really went too
Fashola didn't even finish lekki airport and seaport, light rail and those are the major capital projects in lagos state.
With all that money and the small size, large middle class and population lagos should have been a tokyo or dubai by now.

Lekki Airport is a private project and it's not a necessity needing any immediate attention.

Lekki seaport was delayed because your useless FG delayed it's part of the funding...

Light rail started in 2012 so kindly show us where a 10 lane 26 klm expressway with metro and BRT access was was built and completed within 2 years.

Many property owners along the route are still litigating against the state and even to get PCHN to move their poles is delaying work.

You ignorant people should at lease get a little education about subject matter before opening your ignorant mouth....
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by aresa: 4:19pm On May 26, 2015
boujaye:

what makes it a technical knockout? i thought it is an abomination for any state, federal or any other to be indebted even with such an outrageous Fashola debts. None of you bigots and sycophants will challenge him that he pocketed billions of Naira, no matter his claim, just because he is an APC

Fashola Vs Akpabio. Updated:: Projects And Pictures.

https://www.nairaland.com/2322688/fashola-vs-akpabio-updated-projects

Fashola's 8 Years And Gej/FG/All PDP State's 16 Years Record. Compare. PICS..

https://www.nairaland.com/2180887/fasholas-8-years-gej-fg

This is not about APC, it's about facts facts on the ground and as things stands on the ground in Nigeria right now, Fashola delivered more than any government in the history of Nigeria, even more than your FG with their oil wealth and all the other 35 states combined.

1. Only Lagos state can do without oil money in Nigeria

2. Lagos state is not owing a kobo in salary payments unlike your broke and crippled FG

3. Lagos state's credit ratings AA+ and the best in Nigeria

4. Lagos state has more than enough money saved up to pay it's debt and they have paid many hence the strong credit ratings.

5. What the state did with borrowed funds is on the ground in plain sight and also in the links above

6. Lagos state built the best bridge in Nigeria in less than 3 years while your broke and crippled FG is yet to build 1 especially the 2nd Nb 16 years later.

Please don't cry for Lagos state, we are in good hands like Allstate...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by icedbreez(m): 4:49pm On May 26, 2015
shaqhead:

Ofcos u r entitled to ur opinion n u cn hold onto it all u wnt even in d face of superior arguments and empirical evidence.

The overiding question wc u hv chosen nt to ask wc cleaarly delineates the "saint" and the "devil" as u called d characters compared is "What is done wt d debt incured?" There is no need goin into that because it wl leave wt no option to label one a "saint" and d odr a "devil".

I ask u this again if u ddnt c it "did u miss the part where[b] he syd there is 100billion in an account to service those debts?
[/b]
If anthing he has said is nt factual, d Olisa Metuhs hv dia way of determinin its veracity.

That is what he said.
But tell you what! knowing what I do know about Mr Fashola now I would not entrust him with my vote to rule this country.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 26, 2015
Please did fashola say Lagos population is 21 million How come only 1.3 million people only voted in the last presidential elections

With 1.3 million voters in the last elections, one can deduce that Lagos population is about 9 million or less.

That debt us huge, even if Lagos pays back @ 1 billion naira per month, it will take over 40 years to repay.

And some are calling fashola intelligent....

SMH.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by luminousity(m): 10:08pm On May 26, 2015
chuna1985:
Please did fashola say Lagos population is 21 million How come only 1.3 million people only voted in the last presidential elections

With 1.3 million voters in the last elections, one can deduce that Lagos population is about 9 million or less.

That debt us huge, even if Lagos pays back @ 1 billion naira per month, it will take over 40 years to repay.

And some are calling fashola intelligent....

SMH.
Common man, how could you just reason like this. Its a fact that most people need more from the Lagos state government in terms of rural and infrastructural development as well as being transparent in all aspect in budget implementation.
However, if we are to criticize, let just don't include personal dislike of someone or the party they belong to.
Fashola has tried in many aspect, though too much debt to leave behind but he was able to defend his administration to some extend that a layman will understand.
He made mention of bond obtained from banks to finance some of the project which in turns, will be refund over a period of years from 25percent of IGR. Though it might not be the best but as long as the process is working, it still commendable.
What we need is continuity, as well as a good leader who can reason far beyond what Fashola couldn't deduce.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by situationroom: 10:38pm On May 26, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

Mumu TANIOD! So America with the highest Debt should be viewed as "unintelligent"? Economic illiterate!

Read below!

wat do u say abt FG owing?
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by rabzy: 7:50am On May 27, 2015
brixton:

How many govt hospitals with top notch facilities do we have in these slums? Do they have drinkable water? Pls visit these hood during any of the raining days and see for yourself how poor your Fashola performed in service delivery despite the trillions he got over the years.
We have suffered so much that we accept poor performance as the best in the midst of worst performance. Lagos is a strategic state with vast resources. Opebi is flooded whenever it rains, what then happens in modest slum when it rains?

Oga you said there is no basic amenity provided by the govt in those places and I mentioned the ones I have seen with my eyes. If it is enough, we should agree that it is not enough. But you also can't pull a hood over our eyes and say there is nothing there as if we don't see or use them.

I hardly go to hospitals so I don't know of them. I know there is Igando general hospital and ile-epo general hospital in the axis you are talking of. They were recently upgraded to General hospitals. Is it enough no, will Govt ever provide enough hospitals with top notch facilities no. I know a lot of people still compalin about healthcare delivery in UK and US. So even if we get to their standards we would still ask for more which is fine, its a normal human behavior.
I know he has completed and upgraded many water works even providing. Independent power for the waterworks. But connecting to the grid is a different ball game. Most people live as tenants in Lagos, and the absentee landlords are hardly bothered with such things as connecting to municipal water. I know some 20 years agowhen oyinlola did a major water project using Sakamori company. Giant water pipes were laid all around and points for tapping into the network were provided. Only 2 houses on my street. Got connected and pronto started selling the water to the rest of us. I don't even know our landlord (it was a family house, with a thousand landlords) let alone asking them to do the connectio, have they repaired the leaking roof first...lol. Water in Lagos is. Not straight-forward like that. Let those that are connected to the water networks say whether the service has improved or not, in my area we are all into boreholes.
Re: Fashola Explains Lagos Debt by boujaye: 9:58am On May 28, 2015
aresa:

This is not about APC, it's about facts facts on the ground and as things stands on the ground in Nigeria right now, Fashola delivered more than any government in the history of Nigeria, even more than your FG with their oil wealth and all the other 35 states combined.

1. Only Lagos state can do without oil money in Nigeria

2. Lagos state is not owing a kobo in salary payments unlike your broke and crippled FG

3. Lagos state's credit ratings AA+ and the best in Nigeria

4. Lagos state has more than enough money saved up to pay it's debt and they have paid many hence the strong credit ratings.

5. What the state did with borrowed funds is on the ground in plain sight and also in the links above

6. Lagos state built the best bridge in Nigeria in less than 3 years while your broke and crippled FG is yet to build 1 especially the 2nd Nb 16 years later.

Please don't cry for Lagos state, we are in good hands like Allstate...

Broda, understand me, am not saying projects were not carried out, but that man Fashola in connection with Tinubu has blinded folded the eyes of Lagosians enriching himself tremendously by those so called projects with a whooping sum of about N500 billion debt left for their pally Ambode to continue with. Don't you know if Jimi has won the election, fowl anus for open?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Edo Election: Benin-Ore Expressway Blocked (Photos) / CDS Meets Military Chiefs, Prepares 70 Generals For Exit / Celebrations Of Buharis Victory From Across The Nation. Videos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.