Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,955 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 (1042110 Views)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (511) (Go Down)

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 9:59am On May 28, 2015
erictack2003:
Hello All,

My School is in Melbourne, CBD, can anyone advice me about Melbourne? Is it easy to get a part-time Job? Is it a good place for a starter like me?

Will I be able to fit into the system alright? What about accommodation, which area should I stay in Melbourne. I am a self sponsored Student and I sabi hustle well well so u guys should advice.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about getting a job in Melbourne. What I would worry about is if I have enough time to work, as I heard school studies take up almost all time.

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by mrnilobrawn: 10:03am On May 28, 2015
teeflow09:

Pls can you emphasise wch sch are listed in svp
SVP SCHOOLS http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2015L00537
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 10:20am On May 28, 2015
ok i'm not going for Engineering Manager. I shud be able to rake up my points without the exp points. so once i can do that I'm good to go right? but the main this is to get a positive assessment first from EA. when filling all the things I need to I'll need all the help I can get so that I dont do it twice. but the thing with 190 is that i need to get a job offer first before a state can nominate me. then 489...do i need a relative to hold a PR first before he/she can sponsor me?
NNBB2012:

Yes, but it depends on what you are being assessed for. You are fine for other cadres except Engineering Manager which you need at least 3yrs in Managerial role . However, you need to know that work experience with less than 3 years will not give you any point under skilled migration. In that case, you must do well in English test to meet up with the required points. Although you could go for visa subclass 489 and 190 provided that your age is between 25-32=30points,Qualification-15points and English test-10points at least.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by FutureDon(m): 10:32am On May 28, 2015
Bossladymo1 : Please keep doing your thing, only God can reward you. Thanks for being consistent on here.. I won't say more than that, shoki lobe oge smiley

4 Likes

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by gogochocolate: 10:36am On May 28, 2015
missakomaye:

Perfect breakdown. In my opinion he should opt for Oz. If after 4 years you don't think u like it you can move to any country u want wit ur Oz passport.

NNB,BossLady and missakomaye thanks alot for the detailed analysis. I am so touched by the time and effort you all devoted to helping me. I am a core network engineer with experience in network switching subsystem. I have some Cisco certification, Huawei and Alcatel Lucent Vendor Training and project management certification (PMP) . I worked briefly with an IT company where i worked as a data network engineer deploying radios at interconnecting banks to their headquarters on microwave radio. I have worked extensively on Call server, Media gateways and Home location Registers. I have also attended some courses on GPRS and third generation network and packet data network (Serving GPRS support Node and Gateway GPRS support Node). Please kindly advise.

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by FutureDon(m): 10:41am On May 28, 2015
Dav6 : Haha, thanks for showing interest bro. Sorry for the late response, I have been overwhelmed with Uni stuffs lately. Make we dey look as the thing dey go cos enough people don show face oo (outside Nairaland though), oyinbo no dey play with money, hehe. Safe trip down here to Brissy and bring something for boys sir smiley

Prince242 : Na joke oo, lol, cos I doubt if dem go let you carry am commot MMA sef.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 11:11am On May 28, 2015
chuckdee13:
ok i'm not going for Engineering Manager. I shud be able to rake up my points without the exp points. so once i can do that I'm good to go right? but the main this is to get a positive assessment first from EA. when filling all the things I need to I'll need all the help I can get so that I dont do it twice. but the thing with 190 is that i need to get a job offer first before a state can nominate me. then 489...do i need a relative to hold a PR first before he/she can sponsor me?

Focus on English test and assessment for now. It's not every state that requires a job. I know SA & NSW do not require. It is only your relative that can sponsor you for a Family-489 visa.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bossladymo1: 11:17am On May 28, 2015
NNBB2012:

Focus on English test and assessment for now. It's not every state that requires a job. I know SA & NSW do not require. It is only your relative that can sponsor you for a Family-489 visa.

WA is the only state I know that has some occupations that require a job offer.

I think Tasmania too.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 11:26am On May 28, 2015
gogochocolate:

NNB,BossLady and missakomaye thanks alot for the detailed analysis. I am so touched by the time and effort you all devoted to helping me. I am a core network engineer with experience in network switching subsystem. I have some Cisco certification, Huawei and Alcatel Lucent Vendor Training and project management certification (PMP) . I worked briefly with an IT company where i worked as a data network engineer deploying radios at interconnecting banks to their headquarters on microwave radio. I have worked extensively on Call server, Media gateways and Home location Registers. I have also attended some courses on GPRS and third generation network and packet data network (Serving GPRS support Node and Gateway GPRS support Node). Please kindly advise.

The Telco market is not too good for CORE Networks. You won't have issue if you have IT experience and certifications. Check the job websites seek and indeed. You can start applying for job before you arrive. Get a skype account and put the number on your cv. They will give you Australia number. It will appear as if you an in Australia. You need to use that to test the market.

4 Likes

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 11:33am On May 28, 2015
mrnilobrawn:

Ok thanks, but how do i get those ppl to reply mails..... I don write them tire.
In addition to the locations u adviced above, am also looking at

Harris park
Rosehill
Silverwater
Auburn
South Granville.... Hope this locations are closeby...
How about Parramatta how close would it be? It seems its easier geting accomodation when on ground.

These are good places as well. Check Regent Park as well.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 11:35am On May 28, 2015
bossladymo1:

I think Tasmania too.

Yes.Funny enough some other states require minimum amount one must have in their account.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by manmeta: 11:51am On May 28, 2015
gogochocolate:
My dear friends the last few months have been critical for me with regards to this migration move. I and members of my family were granted 189 visa December last year by Australia DIBP and we were planning to move Australia later this year. Before that i had applied for Canada FSWP program and it was taking forever to process. I have hinged my prediction on the fact that it takes about three to four years to process based on the normal bottlenecks experienced with CIC Canada. However not long after i was granted the 189 Australia Visa, last two months precisely ,Canadian Immigration contacted me for medicals and shortly after i was asked for my passport and issued an immigrant visa. I am apprehensive now cause they are both coming at this time and the last date of entry for both differs by about some few month.
Please i need someone who is versed with the job opportunities in both countries to advise me. I have tried to calculate the cost of going to both countries to at least activate the Permanent residence status but the tickets fees are astronomical. I love Australia but what is drawing me to Canada is more of friends and Family network. In Australia, I don't have anyone to put me through but i understand Australia recognizes Nigerian Credentials and it would be easy for me to get a job as as a professional engineer.
My second issue is that while Engineers Australia has assessed me for migration i have not had any dealing with any engineering society in Canada inorder words i am not recognized as an engineer.
Please kindly advise.

LOL. I laughed in French. This what I called a good problem. Many people will give a toe to be in this situation. I was once in not so different a situation many years ago. I just got a job paying 10x my previous earning, I got a MSc tuition-free admission into a prestigious uni in Europe and another turn-key scholarship for another MSc programme in Europe - all at the same time. At the end of the day, I had to make a decision, a tough one at that. What I'm saying is that it's gonna be your call irrespective of what anyone tells you. Nonetheless, make that call an informative and prayerful one.

I may not be able to offer tipping advice with regards to your engineering field here in Oz but I believe securing employment anywhere in the world involves some stiff competitiveness and hard work. I have got friends in Canada and the local experience issue is not unobtainable there as well.

Population of Canada vs. Australia: 35 million vs 25 million. Go figure.

Consider geographical locations which place one of them at an advantage depending on what you're looking at. Also consider long-term prospects for your career, family and kids, particularly. May not be different for both.

Present state of the economy. Check indices and 5-year outlook. Check policy directions in terms of government investment decisions. Check recent migration policies. I could go on and on. But what I will advise is to do a multi-criteria analysis. You're an engineer and you know what I'm talking about. We all do this unconsciously sometimes to make a decision.

Having said that, I believe you can eat your cake and still have it but check the Cost-Benefit analysis.

2 Likes

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by teeflow09: 12:44pm On May 28, 2015
lchilax:

sorry i saw this late, try calling their Pretoria office cos i got an acknowledgement email from pretoria a few days back. they also requested some statements from me, which i sent.
my point is if u havnt heard from them since march, u should not just email them, i think you should call them
Tenx so much I tried calling but no response I will keep trying anyway
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by teeflow09: 12:47pm On May 28, 2015
I av called as advised by fellow forumites but no response or is there other numbers apart from
27124236000 still waiting hopefully
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 12:47pm On May 28, 2015
Ok thx. but does my relative need to have a PR?
NNBB2012:

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by chuckdee13(m): 12:48pm On May 28, 2015
ok thx bosslady
bossladymo1:

I think Tasmania too.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by teeflow09: 12:51pm On May 28, 2015
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by shapoh(m): 1:47pm On May 28, 2015
nice one bro...thanks
erictack2003:
Look for a short course in Health, First Aid and Safety and try to get the Certificates, also look for any NGO in health related to write a recommendation for you that you help participated in a health related programs from so so so time to so so so time. Use ur brain it's just an idea.

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by spiggy: 1:56pm On May 28, 2015
gogochocolate:
My dear friends the last few months have been critical for me with regards to this migration move. I and members of my family were granted 189 visa December last year by Australia DIBP and we were planning to move Australia later this year. Before that i had applied for Canada FSWP program and it was taking forever to process. I have hinged my prediction on the fact that it takes about three to four years to process based on the normal bottlenecks experienced with CIC Canada. However not long after i was granted the 189 Australia Visa, last two months precisely ,Canadian Immigration contacted me for medicals and shortly after i was asked for my passport and issued an immigrant visa. I am apprehensive now cause they are both coming at this time and the last date of entry for both differs by about some few month.
Please i need someone who is versed with the job opportunities in both countries to advise me. I have tried to calculate the cost of going to both countries to at least activate the Permanent residence status but the tickets fees are astronomical. I love Australia but what is drawing me to Canada is more of friends and Family network. In Australia, I don't have anyone to put me through but i understand Australia recognizes Nigerian Credentials and it would be easy for me to get a job as as a professional engineer.
My second issue is that while Engineers Australia has assessed me for migration i have not had any dealing with any engineering society in Canada inorder words i am not recognized as an engineer.
Please kindly advise.

@gogochocolate, bros na you put yourself in this position o .....I can only imagine all the thoughts running through your mind at this time grin

A lot of folks have shared their opinions and views about Australia but you also need first hand information about Canada to balance it out. Possibly speak with people you know who are already in Canada and also post the same question on the Canadian FSWP thread here on Nairaland or on other relevant forums.

I almost ended up in your shoes, infact I had completed my WES evaluation but I gave up when I couldn't source accurate information on the Canadian job market.

The pull for me then to Canada is the 'perceived' access to the US market - that being said, I don't know for certain if Canadian citizens and Permanent residents are allowed to work in the US without a work permit as I didn't research it fully.

The Australia/Canada debate has been going on for a while and even a simple google search will return several conflicting articles so ultimately you will have to decide yourself - obviously, there are a lot of pros and cons to consider.

I sincerely wish you all the best as you make this life changing decision but please don't spend money unnecessarily trying to keep the two PR visas valid. You need to be objective and practical, if you must, then you should activate the Australian visa first which will keep it open for 5 years.

Cheers !

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by missakomaye(f): 3:01pm On May 28, 2015
teeflow09:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/health-requirements/my-health-declarations.htm

Pretoria Teleperfomance office number +27 0 214017500. Call and they can give you a working number if the +27 12 423 6000 isnt connecting.
But expect that machine fit direct your call. Be patient enough to wait to be connected to an agent.

My humble advice

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by pattyreal(f): 3:46pm On May 28, 2015
hello house please i've gone thru d threads & i must say its been very useful. kudos 2 all.. pls i'm seeking for PR. i hv a bsc degree in computer science but after nysc i settled for a customer care service job wit 4 yrs xperience till date. my question is wat do u advise mi to apply as on d skilled worker 189. thanx a lot
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 28, 2015
Ok Boss.

Thanks.

mobuch:

get your visa first,
sort out your accomodation

then seek for jobs; as long as any country or region has english language as their official language, there will always be part time and full time jobs; it now depends on if you really are ready to work.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 28, 2015
Nawa ooo, person gat survive oooo, so I must work. I have to strive for the good of my wife and my kids, wink, towards making out and studies and of course getting a PR.

Thanks aunty BossLady.

bossladymo1:

I wouldn't worry about getting a job in Melbourne. What I would worry about is if I have enough time to work, as I heard school studies take up almost all time.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by johnsontade: 4:58pm On May 28, 2015
gogochocolate:
Please kindly advise.

Hi Gogochocolate,
We are almost in the same shoes because i just got my canadian PNP nomination and have just 4-5 months max to complete the whole process. The nomination wasn't expected and i already had my CDR application packaged to run my EA assessment with 10 points IELTS in my bag which gives me at least 60-70 % assurance that my Australian PR would also be granted if i continue with the process.

After long research and findings via google, forums and landed migrants, i found out that the decision lies solely in your hands and depends on what you really want to do and where you project yourself to be in the next few years. Whichever one you go for would definitely pay off after becoming a citizen cos you can always get an Australian work permit with your Canadian passport vice versa.

Before i proceed, i just want you to know that the KEY to settling down in either one of the two is having a qualification(diploma or degree) after arrival which may either be in your present occupation or a new occupation(no harm whatsoever in changing or switching careers as long as its going to pay off in the long term). This is a little summary from my findings:

AUSTRALIA
1. Very good country and easier to land a job with your foreign qualification compared to Canada. Civil Engineers seems to be having a good time presently despite the stiffness in the engineering job market.
2. Higher minimum wage with good weather compared to Canada(living expenses are higher than canada though).
3. Schooling isn't really tough compared to Canada.
4. More online degrees and courses which makes it easier to work and study at the same time.
5. Lower tax compared to Canada(Just a little bit tho)
6. Far to other America & Europe unlike Canada.
7. You become a Citizen after 4 years thereby having access to 168 countries visa free.

CANADA
1. Very strict about their local experience. A country for technicians and people who work or want to get into the Oil & Gas industry especially in Alberta & Saskatchewan. Examples of the hot occupations are Instrumentation, electrical, power engineering, heavy duty mechanic, petroleum engineering. Australia, US and other oil producing countries including Nigeria would offer you a job if you have Canadian Oil & Gas experience.
2. Stuffs like Automobiles and real estate are very much cheaper.
3. Very cold weather except Vancouver where it kinda rains a lot.
4. Easy to land a job once you go back to school to get a diploma in any technical Oil & Gas related field.
5. Comparable wages in some provinces with low tax e.g. Alberta
6. You become a Citizen after 3 years and also have access to about 168 countries.
7. Definitely more lively and much more multicultural with so much fun activities to do (the lifestyle there is almost the same as the US )
8. Much larger black/Nigerian community.

I just summarized it cos i'm on the road and can't type much. Like i said earlier, the decision lies in your hands and you can never go wrong with whichever one you choose to go. All you need is a well laid out plan and smartness...every other thing would fall in place.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by teeflow09: 7:11pm On May 28, 2015
missakomaye:

Pretoria Teleperfomance office number +27 0 214017500. Call and they can give you a working number if the +27 12 423 6000 isnt connecting.
But expect that machine fit direct your call. Be patient enough to wait to be connected to an agent.

My humble advice
Tenx so much I already spoke to an agent he asked me to call back tomoro
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by coldgate(f): 7:16pm On May 28, 2015
mrnilobrawn:
[size=14pt]IMPORTANT INFORMATE[/size]

[b]To ALL those applying or waiting on there studebt visa decissions espcially 572 (SVP & NON SVP) when u already hold a degree, you should be prepared to recieve phone calls from From CO at anytime. Questions asked usually include
>Your financial capability to meet up with your studies in OZ
>your genuine temporary entrant (you should master your statement of purpose very well) as any contradiction might raise doughts. Hav a draft in ur pocket at all times.
> your must know about your intend program of study, what u plan to do after studies, if u wil return to Nigeria after studies and what do u intend to do in Nigeria.
>your program syllable and the skills that u intend to get from them.

DONT JUST APPLY TO A COURSE because ITS UNDER SVP, u must have passion for the said course and must align with ur carrer plan.

A frnd was call yesterday evening...lucky for her she has her draft copy in her bag to prove her self worthy.

If your application is long overdue, dont just send email call them on phone. They ar always happy to respond to ur querries...

I continue to wish everyone success[/b]

Thanks a lot for the info. I am still waiting o. Two weeks on. SVP.

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by lilspiceyy(f): 8:05pm On May 28, 2015
coldgate:

Thanks a lot for the info. I am still waiting o. Two weeks on. SVP.
Wat date did u apply?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by coldgate(f): 8:22pm On May 28, 2015
8th of May.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by gabie002: 8:38pm On May 28, 2015
Please who can put me through with settling in melbourne. I need help. What should I know before coming?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by gabie002: 8:40pm On May 28, 2015
Please are you in melbourne?

erictack2003:
Nawa ooo, person gat survive oooo, so I must work. I have to strive for the good of my wife and my kids, wink, towards making out and studies and of course getting a PR.

Thanks aunty BossLady.

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by lilspiceyy(f): 8:57pm On May 28, 2015
coldgate:
8th of May.
It's well! U will get yur grant soon. Mine was on 15th of may I was interviewed yesterday via phone.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by laminaria(m): 9:30pm On May 28, 2015
lilspiceyy:

It's well! U will get yur grant soon. Mine was on 15th of may I was interviewed yesterday via phone.
what was d questions all about.?..pls highlight them, tanx!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (511)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Usa Visit Visa / Travelling To Canada Part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.