Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Freedom Of The Press And Social Irresponsibility – The Nigeria Example - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Freedom Of The Press And Social Irresponsibility – The Nigeria Example (480 Views)

Protesting Waba Addressing The Press In Abuja Today(Video) / Freedom Of The Press And Social Irresponsibility – The Nigeria Example / You Can Ban The Press If They Will Embarrass A Public Officer - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Freedom Of The Press And Social Irresponsibility – The Nigeria Example by trueconscience(m): 11:10am On May 27, 2015
In the democratic world, the Press is seen as a very important agent and requirement for true democracy. Apart from the Legislative, Executive and The Judiciary, the Press is identified as the Fourth Estate of the Realm however, recent trends in the Nigerian setting seems to show otherwise.

Once upon a time, whenever you get any information and you need it verified, all you need do was to pick up a copy of a newspaper or tune in to the next news broadcast but recently, with the unchecked presentation of outright lies, falsehood, misrepresentations and fabrications by the Press, the masses are at the mercy of all manners of useless-ill-motives-newsbodies.

What is news? I remember my year one definition of news: “factual, accurate, account of an event, something real and current, out of the ordinary that is of interest to people”. When you open up yourself to media products, I bet you will agree that what we see are definitely not news. – NOT FACTUAL, NOT ACCURATE but ill-intentioned fabrications of fraudulent people!.
The glory of the Press is being eroded. It is hard trusting our Pressmen and women and this is an issue that this season of Change should address.

Yes, the Press should be free but this should not be a license for irresponsibility. What is the role of the Nigeria Broadcasting Corporation (NBC)? What is the Nigeria Press Council (NPC) doing? How do we ensure a socially responsible Press?
Gone are the days of “brown-envelops”, bribes can now be exchanged electronically, how would this unethical practice be checked?

In the days before, the Military introduced decrees in order to whip the Press into shape while I am not all-out in support of the ‘muzzling’ of the Press, I believe the Press should do its own work.

Online blogs, imaginary news media and a teeming number of charlatans have taken over the functions of the Press, disseminating bile and discordant tunes detrimental to the harmony of the Nation,and I ask is this right? Should they be left unfettered operations?

This is the season of Change, WE all have our roles to play. I am an advocate of a socially responsible press, working within the ambit of the Constitution.

The Press should come alive, work according to its constitutional empowerment and help nurture a truly democratic society, a nation bound together in Freedom,Peace and Unity and not become the Fourth Estate of the Wreck Nigeria might become if the current mode of media operation is sustained.

Nigeria Press, what is the way forward?
Re: Freedom Of The Press And Social Irresponsibility – The Nigeria Example by Nobody: 11:30am On May 27, 2015
agreed

(1) (Reply)

Why Was Patience Goodluck Jonathan Absent From Presidential Inauguration / Video Of Nigeria's 2015 Presidential Inauguration / El-Rufai sacks 23 council administrators, others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.