Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... (43875 Views)

5 Ways To Keep Your Home Safe When You Travel For christmas / 5 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia / 12 Types Of People You Meet When Travelling By Bus In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Jovago: 5:16pm On May 27, 2015
They are powerful and revered. They consider themselves to be the next in command after God. Hence, their orders are supreme. Interestingly, their reign is throughout their lifetime. In other words, it is hereditary. So don’t be surprised if hear that a traditional ruler in Nigeria is as old as 90 years or beyond! Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 Hotel Booking Portal identifies five first-class rulers amongst many others from every part of the country.

OBI OF ONITSHA

Onitsha is the capital of Anambra state and also one of the commercial cities in the Eastern heartland. His Royal Highness Obi Igwe Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe is the Obi of Onitsha and the Chairman of the Anambra State Council of Traditional Rulers. He has spent about 14 years on the throne. He was born on May 14, 1941.

OBA OF BENIN

This is perhaps one of the most sacred and highly respected traditional rulers in Nigeria. His Royal Majesty Omo N’oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the 38th Oba of Benin Kingdom. The revered monarch took over the throne on March 23, 1979. He comes out only once a year during the Igue festival which is one of the most important festivals in Benin. He was born on June 22, 1923.

SULTAN OF SOKOTO

The Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual leader of Muslims in Nigeria and the traditional ruler of Sokoto caliphate. He was born on August 24, 1956 while he ascended the throne on November 2nd, 2006. Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar IV is the 20th Sultan of the Caliphate founded by Uthman Dan Fodio.

The new Sultan of Sokoto, Saad Abubakar, also the spiritual leader of Nigeria's Muslim, sits on his throne during his coronation ceremony in Sokoto, Northern Nigeria, March 3, 2007.

EMIR OF KANO

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a very popular and outspoken figure in Nigeria. Before he became the Emir of Kano, he was the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). On 8th June, 2014, he was announced as the Emir of Kano after the demise of Ado Bayero by the Kano state government. The Emir is a respected voice in Kano and in Nigeria as a whole.

OONI OF IFE

In South-west Nigeria, Ife is one with a rich heritage. Therefore, the post of Ooni of Ife is very reputable. His Royal Highness, Alayeluwa, Oba Okunade Sijuwade is the holder of this enviable position. He was born on 1st January, 1930 and attained the position of Ooni in 1980 (35 years on the throne).

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by demmy0325(m): 5:19pm On May 27, 2015
..where is onipopo of popo undecided

4 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by tobillionaire(m): 5:28pm On May 27, 2015
Meet dem for wat na, dem fit giv me money ni

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by henrychubayo: 7:38am On May 29, 2015
Is good to meet them but its always difficult except you are a politician. But for ordinary person, you may not have the opportunity to meet them.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Claroo(m): 10:28pm On May 29, 2015
Alaafin of Oyo

Oba Lamidi Adeyemi

IKU BABA YEYE

68 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by lateezy(f): 10:29pm On May 29, 2015
kabiyesi
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by tobtap: 10:30pm On May 29, 2015
grin....oba of lagos should be there....the TANIODS ND D LAGOON GUYZ FEAR HIM grin grin grin grin grin

53 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by WisdomCanada(m): 10:30pm On May 29, 2015
Obi of Onitsha is cute. Where is Oba Akiolu?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by gift2020(f): 10:30pm On May 29, 2015
kiss undecided
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Flets: 10:30pm On May 29, 2015
As long as the lousy corrupt ex-police criminal who specializes in drowning people in the lagoon does not make the list

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by DahtzFestjayz: 10:30pm On May 29, 2015
Where is Elemure Of Ekiti?
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sosanova: 10:31pm On May 29, 2015
Where is Oba Lil Wayne(Rilwan) Of Lagoon Village. grin grin grin

55 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by VISTIN(m): 10:31pm On May 29, 2015
Lovely outfit.

Let them remove some fetish attachments to this traditional rulership, we enjoy our people.
Prestige

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Mister2: 10:31pm On May 29, 2015
Olu of Warri

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 29, 2015
The Asagba of Asaba should be there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 29, 2015
No Oba of lagoon??
Heheheheheh

6 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by slinkman(m): 10:32pm On May 29, 2015
so Oba Akiolu is just a commoner among Leaders, mtcheeww

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by M4gunners: 10:32pm On May 29, 2015
For me i rather meet my Obi keagborkuzi my young king.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by richy16(m): 10:32pm On May 29, 2015
I hear.....but na only oba of Benin I sight..oba atope ye

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by ethicalUser(m): 10:32pm On May 29, 2015
Oba of Benin Don die , them go announce him death wen the number of human head for burial complete. Beware of airport road and sapele road area at Nyt.

20 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 29, 2015
I did not see my grandfather's name!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 29, 2015
Who all of dem don help?!

7 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by LEOSIRSIR(m): 10:34pm On May 29, 2015
Your list is in complete without Alaafin of oyo iku baba yeye alase ekeji orisa

13 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sweetgala(m): 10:34pm On May 29, 2015
I'd expect the Alafin of Oyo to be there ahead of the obi of Onitsha .

The Alafin, Omo N'oba nedo , the sultan of Sokoto , and the Emir of Kano have the most reputable thrones in Nigeria and compare to none other , the Ooni Sijuwade has not done well enough with the legacy Adesoji Aderemi left him

9 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by pryd(m): 10:34pm On May 29, 2015
Interesting
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by akpumping7720(m): 10:35pm On May 29, 2015
Where the fvck is iku baba yeye ooooo!
Jovago, this your list naa blunder ooooo. U first mentioned Onitsha as the capital of Anambra, so Awka naa village abi? Then u didn't mention Alaafin of Oyo, iku baba yeye 1. Alashe ekeji osa! Is it because he isn't much educated like the others or what? Anyway dats your own opinion sha coz last time I checked; GEJ visited Alaafin, Ooni Of Ife etc. when he was campaigning.

9 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cost Of Living In Australia: 5 Things You Must Know As An International Student / Survivor Of Dana Plane Crash!!! / Live: My Tour Around North East Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.