Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,943 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... (43871 Views)

5 Ways To Keep Your Home Safe When You Travel For christmas / 5 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia / 12 Types Of People You Meet When Travelling By Bus In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by ahizih(m): 2:31am On May 30, 2015
Op Awka is the capital of Anambra state not Onitsha

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by juman(m): 2:39am On May 30, 2015
Most super traditional rulers in nigeria do not represent the interest of their people, that is why nigeria is a country less country.

A country of 54 years o, but totally destroyed.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Ubenedictus(m): 2:45am On May 30, 2015
remsonik:
Op where did you put the Alaafin of Oyo. Pls alaafin of Oyo is the king of the whole old Oyo empire comprising of the states in the south west plus part of Bini kingdom present day edo state.

sorry, the Alaafin of Oyo didn't control any part of bini kingdom, his hand do not extend that far.

Actually the bini king controled from the present day kogi state down to Ondo, to Parts of Ekiti, to lagos, then down to the itsekiris, izon and even the present day deltal ibos. The Alaafin empire didn't comprise of the whole south west state, lagos, ekiti, Ondo were part by the bini empire at the hight of its power and the Omo N'Oba ruled those parts.

The oyo empire extended into dahomy at the height of its powers not toward bini.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Ubenedictus(m): 2:59am On May 30, 2015
saxywale:

Thank God you remembered to put Old oyo empire in present day Niger state which is long dead.
Bini kingdom ke...u dey look for trouble...

don't mind him, Oyo never moved into bini.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Ubenedictus(m): 3:00am On May 30, 2015
toprealman:
OP IS TALKING ABOUT TOP NOBLE KINGS NOT TOUTS!
Akiolu may have rub himself on the ground but he his still a king his line is noble.

I won't rank him among the top kings though
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Ubenedictus(m): 3:06am On May 30, 2015
nas00:
These days, people can hardly tell their left from their right. Can one blame them?

Yet often, the empty barrels make most noise. See them agitating for recognition! undecided

That said, how could you compare Oònirìsà (literally: Ooni the Oracle) to 'Aláse èkeji òrìsà' (literally: Commander, next-in-command to the Oracle)?

If you know that the full title of the Ooni of Ile-Ife is Oonirisa, you will then understand that he himself is the deity. Your Alaafin can only be second to him, as his title parlance implies.

Realize that Ile-Ife is the source of the Yoruba race. Oduduwa's descendants left ile-Ife with crowns to go establish kingdoms and rule all over yorubaland. These kingdoms include those of the great Oba of Benin, Alaafin of Oyo, Olowu of Owu Kingdom, Alaketu of Ketu, Orangun of Ila, Onisabe of Sabe and Olupopo of Popo. It was from these initial kingdoms that all the Obas you know today sprang.

Memory verse: Ile-Ife is supreme, and the stool of the Ooni is higher than any other in yoruba land.

If you choose to respect the Alaafin or even Olubadan more than the Ooni, no problem. It's entirely your right to choose who to respect. But historically, the fact is what i've stated. Ego-massaging get us nowhere. Let's say the truth as it is..always!

A yoruba proverb says "the Okro plant cannot be taller than than its planter/ harvester".. Alaafin's stool is the Okro, while Ooni's is the planter/ harvester wink

Cheers!

this is useless brinkering, Oranyan (Oromiyon) sat on both stools, both empire was continued with the line of Oranyan. The two stools use One line. They are virtually brothers.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Ubenedictus(m): 3:11am On May 30, 2015
willyakod:
dis OP is a big joker...Attah of Igala (Kogi state) is number one on the list...if you doubt me go and ask Queen Elizabeth of England she will tel you who Attah of Igala is..

the reason the Attah isn't even on the list is because for a long time the Attah was a subject to the Jukun people, at another time I think they were conquered by the bini (i can't exactly recall). Because the attah was bounded on both sides he never extended his kingdom. He was pretty much a localised king.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:14am On May 30, 2015
M4gunners:
For me i rather meet my Obi keagborkuzi my young king.

I hear he is gay,reason why he doesn't wanna get married.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by abulemamaso(m): 3:35am On May 30, 2015
HRH martin ezeh idu of igbo Ukwu
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by pablus: 3:51am On May 30, 2015
i think the OP posted garbage. i come to NL to mainly connect with Nigeria. from what i know, the SW (or the old Western region) is the land of kingdoms. long history. the North also has a long history, although mostly islamized with caliphates, emirates, etc. other regions for the most part just have respected elders and chiefs acting as "kings" in recent times.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by pablus: 4:05am On May 30, 2015
ah ah what's the purpose of this bickering? "Oònirìsà" means the caretaker of the "Orisa" (Oracle, deity, the Almighty); not the Orisa himself! the Ooni's historical position was to provide guidance and do the religious stuff. who sat on top of the old Oyo empire as the king? so, the Alaafin of Oyo was 2nd in command to the Almighty.

nas00:
These days, people can hardly tell their left from their right. Can one blame them?

Yet often, the empty barrels make most noise. See them agitating for recognition! undecided

That said, how could you compare Oònirìsà (literally: Ooni the Oracle) to 'Aláse èkeji òrìsà' (literally: Commander, next-in-command to the Oracle)?

If you know that the full title of the Ooni of Ile-Ife is Oonirisa, you will then understand that he himself is the deity. Your Alaafin can only be second to him, as his title parlance implies.

Realize that Ile-Ife is the source of the Yoruba race. Oduduwa's descendants left ile-Ife with crowns to go establish kingdoms and rule all over yorubaland. These kingdoms include those of the great Oba of Benin, Alaafin of Oyo, Olowu of Owu Kingdom, Alaketu of Ketu, Orangun of Ila, Onisabe of Sabe and Olupopo of Popo. It was from these initial kingdoms that all the Obas you know today sprang.

Memory verse: Ile-Ife is supreme, and the stool of the Ooni is higher than any other in yoruba land.

If you choose to respect the Alaafin or even Olubadan more than the Ooni, no problem. It's entirely your right to choose who to respect. But historically, the fact is what i've stated. Ego-massaging get us nowhere. Let's say the truth as it is..always!

A yoruba proverb says "the Okro plant cannot be taller than than its planter/ harvester".. Alaafin's stool is the Okro, while Ooni's is the planter/ harvester wink

Cheers!
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by gbaskiboy: 4:13am On May 30, 2015
sosanova:
Where is Oba Lil Wayne(Rilwan) Of Lagoon Village. grin grin grin
grin so funny
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by ige101(m): 4:43am On May 30, 2015
And what has that got to do with this topic?
ethicalUser:
Oba of Benin Don die , them go announce him death wen the number of human head for burial complete. Beware of airport road and sapele road area at Nyt.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by codeworks(m): 4:56am On May 30, 2015
His Imperial Majesty, Eze Isaac Ajuonu Ikonne, Enyi 1 of Aba, as he is widely known, is one of the foremost traditional rulers in Abia State. Having ascended the throne over 40 years ago, Eze Ikonne, who is the former chairman of Abia State Traditional Rul­ers’ Council and ex-Chairman, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Council of Ndi Eze, has seen it all, as a monarch.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Aliyullahi(m): 5:29am On May 30, 2015
M4gunners:
For me i rather meet my Obi keagborkuzi my young king.
he is a cute king and he's one of the two chancellor of mah school Unilorin

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by 9jatatafo(m): 5:35am On May 30, 2015
WisdomCanada:
Obi of Onitsha is cute. Where is Oba Akiolu?

Gone to lagoon to have a swim. But OP wait oo! Did I read above that Onitsha is the capital of Anambra? Check that thing well ooo!

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by timilehing(m): 5:45am On May 30, 2015
Ooni of Ife my foot. The man lost all respects during his police uniform scandal.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Tolexander: 5:53am On May 30, 2015
demmy0325:
..where is onipopo of popo undecided
popo isn't in Nigeria but Benin Republic.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 5:55am On May 30, 2015
Jovago:
They are powerful and revered. They consider themselves to be the next in command after God. Hence, their orders are supreme. Interestingly, their reign is throughout their lifetime. In other words, it is hereditary. So don’t be surprised if hear that a traditional ruler in Nigeria is as old as 90 years or beyond! Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 Hotel Booking Portal identifies five first-class rulers amongst many others from every part of the country.

OBI OF ONITSHA

Onitsha is the capital of Anambra state and also one of the commercial cities in the Eastern heartland. His Royal Highness Obi Igwe Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe is the Obi of Onitsha and the Chairman of the Anambra State Council of Traditional Rulers. He has spent about 14 years on the throne. He was born on May 14, 1941.

OBA OF BENIN

This is perhaps one of the most sacred and highly respected traditional rulers in Nigeria. His Royal Majesty Omo N’oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the 38th Oba of Benin Kingdom. The revered monarch took over the throne on March 23, 1979. He comes out only once a year during the Igue festival which is one of the most important festivals in Benin. He was born on June 22, 1923.

SULTAN OF SOKOTO

The Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual leader of Muslims in Nigeria and the traditional ruler of Sokoto caliphate. He was born on August 24, 1956 while he ascended the throne on November 2nd, 2006. Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar IV is the 20th Sultan of the Caliphate founded by Uthman Dan Fodio.

The new Sultan of Sokoto, Saad Abubakar, also the spiritual leader of Nigeria's Muslim, sits on his throne during his coronation ceremony in Sokoto, Northern Nigeria, March 3, 2007.

EMIR OF KANO

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a very popular and outspoken figure in Nigeria. Before he became the Emir of Kano, he was the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). On 8th June, 2014, he was announced as the Emir of Kano after the demise of Ado Bayero by the Kano state government. The Emir is a respected voice in Kano and in Nigeria as a whole.

OONI OF IFE

In South-west Nigeria, Ife is one with a rich heritage. Therefore, the post of Ooni of Ife is very reputable. His Royal Highness, Alayeluwa, Oba Okunade Sijuwade is the holder of this enviable position. He was born on 1st January, 1930 and attained the position of Ooni in 1980 (35 years on the throne).

very fake write up. Your failure started right from your first word. Onitsha is not the capital of anambra state so no need to read this crap.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by StephenJoseph(m): 5:58am On May 30, 2015
Obi of Aboh is included. He is a well respected and powerful king. History will never forgive you if u exclude his name from the great traditional rulers of this country.

So, I pledge you do that now!
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by ArmedForces: 6:03am On May 30, 2015
Obi of Onitsha is the foremost traditional Ruler in Nigeria.

I think the Op wanted to write Onitsha the commercial city of Anambra and extention SE .
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Lincoln275(m): 6:04am On May 30, 2015
what of Alafin of Oyo ? iku baba yeye, u never try oooo
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by ethicalUser(m): 6:09am On May 30, 2015
MissGdope:

He's not dead jor. Stop peddling baseless rumours. When you can prove it, i'll cosign
Don't say I didn't tell u. Wait for this years Igwé festival if u will see him. Then u can prove me wrong .
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Lachynos2k2(m): 6:33am On May 30, 2015
@open onitsha is not d capital of anambra...
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by M4gunners: 6:40am On May 30, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

I hear he is gay,reason why he doesn't wanna get married.
Rubbish
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by blissonlin(m): 6:49am On May 30, 2015
where is KRAN OF BADAGRY? DE Wheno Menu Toyi 1 of Badagry.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by lanrex101: 6:52am On May 30, 2015
Alaafin of Oyo; omo ofo, omo adanu, omo adaba ile, omo adaba ode, agbingbado oran si ekule elekule, telekule o gbodo wuje.... Kabiesi iku.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by tubolancer(m): 7:01am On May 30, 2015
Claroo:
Alaafin of Oyo
Oba Lamidi Adeyemi
IKU BABA YEYE
Adeyemi Olayiwola Alaafin o, t' oba ni o' se.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by nairamaniac: 7:16am On May 30, 2015
ethicalUser:
Oba of Benin Don die , them go announce him death wen the number of human head for burial complete. Beware of airport road and sapele road area at Nyt.
na your head remain to complete the number. beware of new benin and ringroad.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Drabrah(m): 7:21am On May 30, 2015
Op u suppose edit this ur post na!
Abi dem no tell u say Omon'oba don kpai
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by 400billionman: 7:27am On May 30, 2015
Onitsha is not the capital of Anambra state but Akwa is
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by bisi16(m): 7:28am On May 30, 2015
Jovago:
They are powerful and revered. They consider themselves to be the next in command after God. Hence, their orders are supreme. Interestingly, their reign is throughout their lifetime. In other words, it is hereditary. So don’t be surprised if hear that a traditional ruler in Nigeria is as old as 90 years or beyond! Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 Hotel Booking Portal identifies five first-class rulers amongst many others from every part of the country.

OBI OF ONITSHA

Onitsha is the capital of Anambra state and also one of the commercial cities in the Eastern heartland. His Royal Highness Obi Igwe Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe is the Obi of Onitsha and the Chairman of the Anambra State Council of Traditional Rulers. He has spent about 14 years on the throne. He was born on May 14, 1941.

OBA OF BENIN

This is perhaps one of the most sacred and highly respected traditional rulers in Nigeria. His Royal Majesty Omo N’oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the 38th Oba of Benin Kingdom. The revered monarch took over the throne on March 23, 1979. He comes out only once a year during the Igue festival which is one of the most important festivals in Benin. He was born on June 22, 1923.

SULTAN OF SOKOTO

The Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual leader of Muslims in Nigeria and the traditional ruler of Sokoto caliphate. He was born on August 24, 1956 while he ascended the throne on November 2nd, 2006. Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar IV is the 20th Sultan of the Caliphate founded by Uthman Dan Fodio.

The new Sultan of Sokoto, Saad Abubakar, also the spiritual leader of Nigeria's Muslim, sits on his throne during his coronation ceremony in Sokoto, Northern Nigeria, March 3, 2007.

EMIR OF KANO

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a very popular and outspoken figure in Nigeria. Before he became the Emir of Kano, he was the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). On 8th June, 2014, he was announced as the Emir of Kano after the demise of Ado Bayero by the Kano state government. The Emir is a respected voice in Kano and in Nigeria as a whole.

OONI OF IFE

In South-west Nigeria, Ife is one with a rich heritage. Therefore, the post of Ooni of Ife is very reputable. His Royal Highness, Alayeluwa, Oba Okunade Sijuwade is the holder of this enviable position. He was born on 1st January, 1930 and attained the position of Ooni in 1980 (35 years on the throne).

Are u mad? When did Onitsha become d capital of Anambra? This is what happens when bloggers dnt research b4 writing rubbish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Mourns His Wife And 2-Year-Old Daughter Killed In Motor Accident / 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life / Immigration Stops 20 Intending Passengers From Leaving Nigeria At Lagos Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.