Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? (1424 Views)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? / Which Day Is The Sabbath? Saturday Or Sunday / Sunday Is Not The Sabbath Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:40pm On May 27, 2015
Should we keep the Sabbath or not?

Let's consider the following scriptural verses for and against the keeping of the Sabbath:

Exodus 20:8; 23:12; 31:15; Deuteronomy 5:12; Leviticus 26:2 and Romans 14:5; Colossians 2:16

Keep the Sabbath:

(Exodus 20:8-9), "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 "Six days you shall labour and do all your work."

(Exodus 23:12), "Six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you shall cease from labour in order that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female slave, as well as your stranger, may refresh themselves."

(Exodus 31:15), "For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death."

(Deuteronomy 5:12), "Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you."

(Leviticus 26:2), "You shall keep My sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary; I am the Lord."

Don't keep the Sabbath:

(Romans 14:5), "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."

(Colossians 2:16), "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day."

In the light of the Scriptures posted above, should we keep the Sabbath or not?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 27, 2015
"Do we then overthrow the Law by this Faith?By No means! on the contrary we uphold the Law" Romans 3:31
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Rilwayne001: 8:03pm On May 27, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
Let's consider the following scriptural verses for and against the keeping of the Sabbath:
Exodus 20:8; 23:12; 31:15; Deuteronomy 5:12; Leviticus 26:2 and Romans 14:5; Colossians 2:16
Keep the Sabbath
(Exodus 20:8-9), "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work."
(Exodus 23:12), "Six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you shall cease from labor in order that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female slave, as well as your stranger, may refresh themselves."
(Exodus 31:15), "For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death."
(Deuteronomy 5:12), "Observe the sabbath day to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you."
(Leviticus 26:2), "You shall keep My sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary; I am the Lord."
Don't keep the Sabbath
(Romans 14:5), "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."
(Colossians 2:16), "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day."

Well, since Paul has abrogated YAHWEH'S commandment, and paul as we know is the founder of today xtianity, therefore don't keep sabath.

But forreal, jesus kept sabath according to the bible.

1 Like

Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 8:55pm On May 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
"Do we then overthrow the Law by this Faith?By No means! on the contrary we uphold the Law" Romans 3:31

Question, how do you\we uphold the law BY FAITH since Galatians 3:12 declares, the LAW IS NOT OF FAITH? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 8:57pm On May 27, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Well, since Paul has abrogated YAHWEH'S commandment, and paul as we know is the founder of today xtianity, therefore don't keep sabath.

But forreal, jesus kept sabath according to the bible.

Which Sabbath did Jesus kept? Shadow or Substance Sabbath? cheesy
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 27, 2015
Goshen360:

Question, how do you\we uphold the law BY FAITH since Galatians 3:12 declares, the LAW IS NOT OF FAITH? cheesy
Because of Romans 7:12
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 27, 2015
Goshen360:

Question is how many Sabbath is in the Scripture?
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Rilwayne001: 9:14pm On May 27, 2015
Goshen360:

LOL grin
Which one is shadow or substance sabbath??
Jesus actually kept the sabbath whe he went to Nazareth according to Luke…
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 9:29pm On May 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Because of Romans 7:12

Romans 7:12 says,

So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Yes, the law is holy but doesn't stop you from sinning but rather makes you a sinner. It is righteous but doesn't make you righteous and good neither. When you take a text out of context, you're left with CON.... cheesy. The question is, how do we uphold the law since also Galatians 3:12 declares, the LAW IS NOT OF FAITH abi no be same Apostle Paul write the 2 scriptures? Do we uphold the law BY KEEPING IT OR WHAT? And if we're keeping it, how? BY FAITH or THROUGH FAITH? If Yes, How can we keep or uphold the law by what the law is not made of, that is, the law is not of faith so how do we uphold the law by same faith it is not of?
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 9:32pm On May 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Question is how many Sabbath is in the Scripture?

Rilwayne001:

LOL grin
Which one is shadow or substance sabbath??
Jesus actually kept the sabbath whe he went to Nazareth according to Luke…

So both of you don't know there're TWO KINDS of SABBATH in scriptures right? Chai.... cheesy How we wan even trust wetin una dey talk sef.... grin
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 27, 2015
Goshen360:

Romans 7:12 says,

So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Yes, the law is holy but doesn't stop you from sinning but rather makes you a sinner. It is righteous but doesn't make you righteous and good neither. When you take a text out of context, you're left with CON.... cheesy. The question is, how do we uphold the law since also Galatians 3:12 declares, the LAW IS NOT OF FAITH abi no be same Apostle Paul write the 2 scriptures? Do we uphold the law BY KEEPING IT OR WHAT? And if we're keeping it, how? BY FAITH or THROUGH FAITH? If Yes, How can we keep or uphold the law by what the law is not made of, that is, the law is not of faith so how do we uphold the law by same faith it is not of?
I don't get involved in hypocritical questions but for the sake of the viewers I will answer you briefly.

The Jews could not uphold the Law because they didn't seek it with Faith. Apostle Paul under the command of the Holy Spirit says " The Law is Spiritual".And I will have you remember what Moses who received the Law told the Isrealites the requirement of the Law "Circumcise then the foreskin of your heart" Deut 10:16 which is the samething as Faith explained by the same Apostle Paul in Romans 2:29.Now the Law is Spiritual and the unspiritual man does not understand the things of the Spirit and as far as the Jew is concerned Stephen confronts the Jews under the power of the Spirit that "They always resist the Holy Spirit" thus creating No room for the keeping of the Law by Faith rather they seek to keep it by their power.To this end the Son of GOD came to fulfil the Law by Meeting tbe requirement submission to the will of the Father and by that submission the just requirement of the Law is fulfilled.

The Law doesn't make you a sinner but sin make you a sinner.

Then Upholding the Law is seeking it with Faith and observing it in the Spirit. Christ came to give us power to keep GOD commandment and not the other way round.

God help you with your Faith. Bye
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 10:07pm On May 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
I don't get involved in hypocritical questions but for the sake of the viewers I will answer you briefly.

The Jews could not uphold the Law because they didn't seek it with Faith. Apostle Paul under the command of the Holy Spirit says " The Law is Spiritual".And I will have you remember what Moses who received the Law told the Isrealites the requirement of the Law "Circumcise then the foreskin of your heart" Deut 10:16 which is the samething as Faith explained by the same Apostle Paul in Romans 2:29.Now the Law is Spiritual and the unspiritual man does not understand the things of the Spirit and as far as the Jew is concerned Stephen confronts the Jews under the power of the Spirit that "They always resist the Holy Spirit" thus creating No room for the keeping of the Law by Faith rather they seek to keep it by their power.To this end the Son of GOD came to fulfil the Law by Meeting tbe requirement submission to the will of the Father and by that submission the just requirement of the Law is fulfilled.

The Law doesn't make you a sinner but sin make you a sinner.

Then Upholding the Law is seeking it with Faith and observing it in the Spirit. Christ came to give us power to keep GOD commandment and not the other way round.

God help you with your Faith. Bye

Thanks but you should be ready to discuss and not just say bye just like that.... wink

I'm willing to respond to everything you wrote line-by-line if you're ready to discuss. Your understanding of the whole concept and purpose of the law by the such as the mis-matched purpose and concept of God which many law advocates promote within Christianity.
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 27, 2015
Goshen360:

Thanks but you should be ready to discuss and not just say bye just like that.... wink

I'm willing to respond to everything you wrote line-by-line if you're ready to discuss. Your understanding of the whole concept and purpose of the law by the such as the mis-matched purpose and concept of God which many law advocates promote within Christianity.
"the Faith you have keep between yourself and God" This is the answers God gave me when people hold wrong opinion.
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 10:48pm On May 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
"the Faith you have keep between yourself and God" This is the answers God gave me when people hold wrong opinion.

There's no such thing as one's opinion and God told me or gave me this and that answer. All scriptures must be prove for truth to be held. I will let it slide if you're not willing to discuss but please, don't join those promoting obedience to the law by faith to Christians because both don't mix.

From your first line: The Jews could not uphold the Law because they didn't seek it with Faith I already know you have most Christians including you have a mis-matched concept of faith & law. When a man has a wrong digestion of one scripture, every other scripture will fall in the the wrong soil. Same with the man with good digestion. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong but you should allow discussion to test what you have known over years if you're rightly taught or not.

Asking a simple question, how do we uphold the law by faith since the law is not of faith? Scripture didn't say the Jews couldn't uphold the law because they didn't seek it with faith. It says the law ITSELF IS NOT OF FAITH. So, how do you\we keep the law by faith that it is not of?

Lastly, I can respond to everything you said but, let's put it this way: do you understand what it says from scriptures when you made the first statement?

New International Version
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.
Romans 9:30 - 32

I want to believe your first statement was taken from the underlined verse above but do you understand what the Apostle was teaching to the church via Israel as example?
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 27, 2015
Goshen360:

There's no such thing as one's opinion and God told me or gave me this and that answer. All scriptures must be prove for truth to be held.
Lol because I didn't add the Scripture to it.... now here it is Romans 14:22 "The Faith that you have keep between yourself and God; Happy is he who has No reason to Judge himself for what. he approves" I don't just flourish my words with Scriptures all over because Truth needs No excess explanation only lies requires much explanation. Once again I say God help you with your Faith. Bye.
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 11:10pm On May 27, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Lol because I didn't add the Scripture to it.... now here it is Romans 14:22 "The Faith that you have keep between yourself and God; Happy is he who has No reason to Judge himself for what. he approves" I don't just flourish my words with Scriptures all over because Truth needs No excess explanation only lies requires much explanation. Once again I say God help you with your Faith. Bye.

Chai, God help you brother! Anyway, follow context!!! Cele people also believes and have faith in their rituals and I guess they're right and it's between them and God. Bottom line, a man can use faith positively in a right course and also positively in a wrong course. I'll let this slide for now.
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by Nobody: 8:46am On May 28, 2015
Goshen360:

Chai, God help you brother! Anyway, follow context!!! Cele people also believes and have faith in their rituals and I guess they're right and it's between them and God. Bottom line, a man can use faith positively in a right course and also positively in a wrong course. I'll let this slide for now.
No wonder..... you got a lot to learn from God humble your heart and receive the treasure of his word... You are young in Faith
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by malvisguy212: 9:44pm On May 29, 2015
OAM4J this tartar9 guy keep on posting this nonsense in all Christianity evangelism thread. Pleased you need to do justice. Thank you
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04pm On Aug 08, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Keep the Sabbath

(Exodus 20:8-9), "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 "Six days you shall labor and do all your work."

(Exodus 23:12), "Six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you shall cease from labor in order that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female slave, as well as your stranger, may refresh themselves."

Don't keep the Sabbath

Suggested answer:

It was the custom of the Jews to come together on the Sabbath, which is Saturday, cease work, and worship God. Of the 10 commandments listed in Exodus 20:1-17, only nine of them were reinstituted in the New Testament. (Six in Matthew 19:18, murder, adultery, stealing, false witness, honour parents, and worshipping God; Romans 13:9, coveting. Worshipping God properly covers the first three commandments). The one that was not reaffirmed was the one about the Sabbath. Instead, Jesus said that He is the Lord of the Sabbath (Matt. 12:8.)

In creation God rested on the seventh day. But, since God is all-powerful, He doesn't get tired. He doesn't need to take a break and rest. So, why does it say that He rested? The reason is simple: Mark 2:27 says, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." In other words, God established the Sabbath as a rest for His people--not because He needed a break but because we are mortal and need a time of rest and focus on God. In this, our spirits and bodies are both renewed.

The O.T. system of Law required keeping the Sabbath as part of the overall moral, legal, and sacrificial system by which the Jewish people satisfied God's requirements for behaviour, government, and forgiveness of sins. The Sabbath was part of the Law in that sense. In order to "remain" in favour with God, you had to also keep the Sabbath. If it was not kept, then the person was in sin and would often be punished (Ezekiel 18:4; Rom. 6:23; Deut. 13:1-9; Num. 35:31; Lev. 20:2, etc.).

But with Jesus' atonement, and justification by faith (Rom. 5:1), we no longer are required to keep the Law and hence the Sabbath which was only a shadow of things to come (Col. 2:16-17). We are not under Law but grace (Rom. 6:14-15). The Sabbath is fulfilled in Jesus because in Him we have rest (Matt. 11:28). We are not under obligation to keep the Law, and this goes for the Sabbath as well.

https://carm.org/should-we-keep-sabbath-or-not
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:37am On Oct 24, 2016
Answer to the OP. cheesy
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:19am On Oct 29, 2016
malvisguy212:

OAM4J this tartar9 guy keep on posting this nonsense in all Christianity evangelism thread. Pleased you need to do justice. Thank you

We thank God for getting rid of that troll. cheesy
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:46pm On Nov 24, 2016

No wonder..... you got a lot to learn from God humble your heart and receive the treasure of his word... You are young in Faith

I really hope Goshen humbles his heart and learn. smiley
Re: Should We Keep The Sabbath Or Not? by oprajo(m): 8:33pm On Nov 24, 2016
the answer is simple. the Sabbath was a type of God's rest. the law of Moses was a shadow of things to come. You can't keep what u are not under (Rom 6vs 14) we have the true rest (which we enter through faith in the gospel) heb 4vs 3

(1) (Reply)

After Making Heaven What Would Be The Universal Language ? / URGENT: I Need The Responses Of Mature Holy-ghost-filled Christians!! / Born To Atheist Parents, Leads Her Parents To Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.