Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,877 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! (77157 Views)

India Vs Nigeria: 99-1 / Football Match INDIA VS NIGERIA: 99-1 ? / INDIA Vs NIGERIA 99-1 Abeg, Who Watch Am? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 14, 2009
When we were young this story used to be common. That is, how India used Juju to beat Nigeria 99-1. We were told the ball would turn into rock or lion when Nigeria was playing.

I heard this when I was a young boy in Kwara in late 80s to early 90s. I raised this among my room mates in the University few years back and to my surprise all of them, though from different parts of the country, also said they heard it when they were also young.

Please who invented this 'story'? How did it go round to become a national lie?

Who also heard about this story? Who has idea about how it was concocted?

4 Likes

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 14, 2009
My man,
That story is a fictitive as anything can be.
India doesn't have any pedigree in soccer whatsoever.
It's a story i also heard growing up.
i just wonder how it went around that effectively.

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Akolawole(m): 3:43pm On Feb 14, 2009
First class lie.

The one i heared is 75-0
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by WarfyBoy(m): 9:21pm On Feb 14, 2009
THAT STORY IS AS OLD METHUSELAH, EVEN BEFORE DEM BORN ME SELF D NEWS DON DEY EXIST

TO BE SINCERE,

NA TRU ABI NA LIE?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by DrKitaun(m): 9:30pm On Feb 14, 2009
Akolawole:

First class lie.

The one i heared is 75-0

haaa bros eeee . . . shocked

u wan tell me say u no know say Iindia wire us 99-1 true true ?

in fact it was Thunder Balogun that struck the only ballistic goal into their net . . .all our players were seeing double and the goalie-mepon was just picking goal upon goals from his net grin grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by dyabman(m): 9:34pm On Feb 14, 2009
silliness
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by honeric01(m): 9:43pm On Feb 14, 2009
Thunder balogun abi na Segun Odegbami dem say Fire the one shot enter Net

that story na big lie, I sure na Ijebu man go bring that lie come grin grin grin

Too much of India film na him cause am, grin grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by deor03(m): 9:51pm On Feb 14, 2009
hey we use to have the VHS video of the match.  But anytime we slot it into the cassette player, it shows something else.

Infact the  goal by thunder balogun, tore the net

2 Likes

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Emperoh(m): 10:00pm On Feb 14, 2009
The person wey formulate this National lie suppose get degree for Lieyology
Kai even as a yung chap growing up in Enugu, this was as rampant as anything

I wonder ooo
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by fe32(m): 10:01pm On Feb 14, 2009
a generational lie,
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by DisGuy: 11:24pm On Feb 14, 2009
I heard if we scored one we win irrespective of how many they scored cheesy

thanks to a certain Thundeer Balogun who kicked the ball/rock so hard it broke his foot and killed the Indian keeper

2 Likes

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by A40(m): 11:46pm On Feb 14, 2009
I watched that game on a Sunny Saturday Afternoon in 1973 i was front and Center at the National Stadium the game was bloody each time the Indians took a shot towards our goal the goalkeeper for some strange reason always ran away from the goal post this actually happened 99 times and after the match he was interviewed and explained that all he could see each time the ball was shot towards him was a ball of fire or a roaring lion grin grin

4 Likes

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by dayokanu(m): 12:44am On Feb 15, 2009
Thunder Balogun, Remember your left leg!!!!!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Akolawole(m): 1:36am On Feb 15, 2009
Only God knows who started the rumour.

Abi our grandpas are liars.

Sometimes they tell us they come first in the regional exams, none of them has ever come last.

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by dayokanu(m): 1:51am On Feb 15, 2009
Akola dont mind them jare,

99 goals in 90 minutes of football. dont they pass after scoring?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by A40(m): 3:26am On Feb 15, 2009
dayokanu:

Akola dont mind them jare,

99 goals in 90 minutes of football. dont they pass after scoring?
Where is your sense of humor? How many seconds does it actually take to score a goal? Its not entirely impossible

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by agaba123(m): 4:02am On Feb 15, 2009
chei
una de lie
I was told it was 12-0

The ball turns into 20 different balls in the field so that the goalie would only grab the fake one. grin grin grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 4:03am On Feb 15, 2009
I heard it was 100-0 and peter rufai was the goalkeeper. They also told us that was why we'd never heard of India playing in the world cup or anything related to soccer. Imagine my surprise when i heard India even had a local soccer league and Nigerians played there.

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by chamotex(m): 4:06am On Feb 15, 2009
I saw the game on VHS, oh boy see skills.
No Nigerian player touched the ball thorougout the whole game except for the keeper who was just picking the ball out of the net each time they scored.
Ball was turning to Lion head, one even turned to dragon head.

The Nigerian team played awful. It was a nightmare until I woke up. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by rikkyjen(m): 4:08am On Feb 15, 2009
Yep, i was told 99-1 and that our goalkeeper couldn't catch any of the balls because the oncoming ball would always become a ravaging elephant and the goalie would leave the post for the ball to roll in, and yes i heard that lie that if we socred one, we were gonna win the game!

Did anybody also here that because of that the Indians were banned from playing football forerver? shocked shocked shocked shocked

This story is got to be  one of the greateast Urban legend to ever come out of Nigeria. This story ranks at par with the "Okafor law" legend! grin grin grin

99-1? What a Tragi-comedy!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 4:25am On Feb 15, 2009
Akolawole:

Abi our grandpas are liars.

Sometimes they tell us they come first in the regional exams, none of them has ever come last.

My mom ALWAYS read her chemistry book from cover to cover . . . turns out the book was no more than 10% of the ababio.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by MrCrackles(m): 4:48am On Feb 15, 2009
TOPIC

Na lie!
cheesy
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by UNLEASHED(m): 4:58am On Feb 15, 2009
Which one person go believe now?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by chamotex(m): 4:59am On Feb 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

TOPIC

Na lie!
cheesy

you, u know ball? grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by damola1: 5:05am On Feb 15, 2009
The mind of a child is very naive,

Children would believe anything, Just about anything,

I did believe it, and even told the stories myself as if i was there, The mind of a child can believe, we need to use that mind for great things, cos our own mind, na so so impossible e dey see,

Keeper rufai used to see a lion, India was the king of juju, tali it's called.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by cvibe: 6:09am On Feb 15, 2009
I heard that was the reason India was banned from football.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by jamace(m): 6:33am On Feb 15, 2009
grin grin Yes, people I heard it too grin grin. In addition, I was told that India was banned from the Olympic games after one of their participants threw the javelin and the javelin went into the sky and could not be traced till today. grin grin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by dayokanu(m): 6:55am On Feb 15, 2009
See all these small pikin dey talk say elders dey lie.

Its true. I saw the game live. The scores was 99-1 It was Odegbami who scored for Nigeria.

The ball turned into a stone and he kicked it notwithstanding.

The balls were turning into lions and our keeper best Ogedengbe avoided the ball. That was the reason India was banned from football cool cool cool cool cool cool

Another story was the Thunder Balogun story:

Thunder Balogun had incision on his left leg so they warned him not to take shots with his left leg.

There was a bet between Thunder Balogun and a great keeper. That in 5 penalties thunder would not score any.

He took 4 and the keeper caught all the "Penariti" when he wanted to take the last one

A woman just screamed "Thunder Balogun remember your left leg" Thunder Balogun fired with his left leg.

The shot was so hard that the keeper tried to stop it but it went through the keepers tummy and came out

from the back killing the keeper instantly. I WAS THERE ON THIS OCCASION TOO. cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

The funny thing is this story still lingers till today. My younger brother was told the story too in school like 10 years ago and he told his friends he did not believe because I never told him about it. They all shouted on him and he came home to ask me.

I also heard Indians dont wear shoes that was why they were not allowed to play football because FIFA would not allow them to play barefooted.

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 15, 2009
You sure say no be for cricket match dat thing happen so. Because na there their power dey.
Of all the 1 billion people for India, no viable football team don come from there.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by bunmii(f): 7:45am On Feb 15, 2009
I heard the ball kept turning to a lion or stone when the nigeria players had the ball so obviously they kept running away from it cheesy cheesy
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Don1DeMaco: 8:16am On Feb 15, 2009
Yeah heard both the Indian and Thunder Balogun Stories. Told and Remixed some of it myself.

Thank God for the internet for una lives if not, how many of una go know say na story, most of u still wouldnt have called it a lie. these were things we heard growing up. More like the mystery of the tortoise being the smartest animal in the jungle.

Just like in 2-face's album the pikin say Daddy u can lie ooo, which time did tortoise talk, which time did tortoise fall and have cracked back.

But i bet a lot of u older guys heard and told most of these stories. Na cable TV cause all this nonsense now small boy go dey say elder dey lie instead make e take the story as e be and pass to the next generation.

1 Like

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by invisible2(m): 9:24am On Feb 15, 2009
Can you believe I was having a hot argument with some oldies in the village about this very 'indian story' ?

In their own version of the same match, eleven indian players were playing on the ground and when they get tired, they will kick the ball up because there were another eleven Indian players hanging on the air, these ones will take over and be running with the ball, floating on the air till they reach the post.

Then they will bring the ball down for the Indian players on the ground to slot into the Nigerian net.

Nigeria is the only country in the world where rumours are stronger than the news. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Footballer Akeem Omolade Found Dead In His Car In Italy (Photos) / Victor Osimhen Blasts Punch Newspaper For Fabricating False Stories About Him / Ex-Chelsea Star Ramires Now Looks Totally Unrecognisable From His Chelsea Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.