Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,293 members, 7,780,685 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:30 PM

10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows (2205 Views)

Linux Is 25: 25 Stunning Facts About The Operating System / 10 Reasons To Install Linux Alongside Windows Or Port Completely / UC Brouser For PC Is Great. It Is Far Better Than Firefox (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by danidee10(m): 1:45am On May 28, 2015
There has been an argument going on for years, that so many people don't know or know little about, it's between the Linux OS and Windows OS, so first of all what is Linux, Linux is a free and open source operating developed and released in 1991 by Linus Torvalds, Linux has a reputation as a very efficient and fast-performing system, I'm sure some of you have heard of Ubuntu, Ubuntu is just one of the numerous Linux distributions out there(Operating systems built on the Linux kernel that was first developed in 1991), in fact there are over 200 Linux distributions out there. So whats all the fuzz about Linux after all your current windows computer does all you want for you now, but it's a known fact that human beings fear and criticize what they don't know about but i'm about to show you some reasons why you should dump your old legacy windows OS for Linux, Linux is everywhere even if you don't know it you might be running Linux without knowing it, even The popular Mobile operating system Android is built on the Linux kernel others include the Sony Bravia TV, and the amazon kindle fire tablet, These are the 10 reasons why i believe Linux is better than windows

1. Linux is Free
Linux is Free, yes you heard it!, everything about Linux from the kernel to the apps installed on it are all open source and free and you don't so you don't need to bother about paying money for apps or looking for cracks and patches for programs that can make your computer unstable and vulnerable to virus attacks compared to an Original windows 7 which costs about 100$.

2. Linux is More Secure
In this modern day, when everyone is so worried about computer security and how to protect themselves against Viruses, Malware and Spyware, Linux does a great job at securing your Computer you don't need to install any Antivirus software to get this protection Linux is inherently more secure than Windows, because security is a feature of the core system, With a firewall at the heart of the kernel and the virtual impossibility of slipping malware into the software repositories, a Linux computer can devote all its resources to running your programs, rather than being bogged down with security programs running all the time on your windows Computer.

3. Software repositories
I mentioned Software repositories above, Typically a windows user does a google search to find a software he is looking for, this behavior can easily be exploited to harm the unsuspecting user. This is not the case in Linux because it has all the software you need in one place and saves you time having to crawl the web to find the program you're missing. It also means the software has been independently checked and digitally signed by the distribution's developers, making it almost impossible to pick up a root-kitted version that can easily be served you to by a malicious third-party without your knowledge, This also means that there are no back doors in Linux software to monitor and steal personal Information from you without your knowledge, an example is the Ubuntu Software center where you can search for numerous apps and install directly, Linux also comes with a lot of pre-installed apps and common utilities to get you started, Unlike a new Windows Installation which is empty

4. Drivers
This is a feature i Love very much about Linux, The Driver support is excellent, after installing you don't need to install or look for extra drivers to make your system function, everything works fine out of the box, from sound to mouse to graphics Unlike Windows where getting drivers is a real pain, you could also download and install wrong or root-kitted drivers which could compromise your computer.

5. Linux is portable
The size of My First Linux (Kubuntu) was so small that i was scared i didn't download it properly it was about 900mb can you believe that a full fledged Computer Operating system with pre-installed apps like Firefox, archiving program(Like WinRAR) can be that small Unlike windows which is about 3-4gb, also another amazing thing about Linux is that it can be installed on a small Flashdrive, so you can always carry your Computer around in your and it will still look OK on any Computer you boot it from (Thanks to the great driver support), also Linux is not resource demanding like Windows and it can be installed on ancient Hardware(It's time to dust up your old computer and give Linux a shot) also most Windows users find their computers getting slower everyday no matter what they cleanup or do, this doesn't happen in Linux, Linux always stays Fast and is not as bloated as Windows, even when a serious problem occurs you don't even need to re-install as it can be fixed directly

6. Desktop and Customization
This is an area where i can go on forever and ever. Most Windows Users think they can customize their system by changing themes, using skin-packs and programs like fences, wait until you see what Linux has got, in Linux you can change the whole desktop environment, you can even make specific events occur at different times of the day, you can add work-spaces, there are so many programs available for you to add effects to your computer, The list is endless, even Windows 10 has already bought the idea of work-spaces for efficient computing from Linux, you can even customize your computer to save more power than windows and extend your battery life.

7. Powerful command Line
This is for the geeks, if you think DOS is powerful, then you're mistaken because you don't know the power of the Command Line in Linux, While some criticize Linux for its use of the shell, this really is a powerful advantage. Easy GUI's are good, and we need to be able to carry out standard administration and configuration tasks using a GUI, but sometimes a shell can be so much faster and more flexible, unlike a DOS box, even windows released Power-shell in an attempt to match the Shell of Linux.

8. Freedom again
Yes Freedom again, Linux is open source which means all the source code is available to the whole world, even you if you want to see it, this means you can change and modify it to suit your needs (This is the reason why there are so many Linux Distributions out there), you might be wondering if this is for geeks only, it's true to some extent, but you also benefit from this freedom as any Linux Distribution you choose is probably using a modified version of the original Linux Kernel, This also includes Android.

9. Application Updates
In Linux updating Applications is as simple as pressing a button and entering your password, application updates also updates all your applications and drivers infact every software on the system is updated, But on Windows apart from the standard windows updates, each app has to be updated one by one which is Tedious and Time Consuming, also the updates on Linux are considerably smaller, personally I've never had an update bigger than 400mb, but on windows i recall seeing an update of > 2gb, and on Linux you don't need to restart your computer everytime you update, the updates are applied automatically, There was a time why laptop went off when i was installing some windows update, after that time all updates i tried always failed i had to format to get my computer working again.

10. Community
Finally, the community of Linux is very great and it's free, i belong to askubuntu which is a community for Ubuntu users, you can go there and ask questions concerning Ubuntu and get answers from experienced users, you can even answer if you're an experienced user and also share information about Ubuntu, This is not limited to Ubuntu alone each Linux distribution has it's own community to help newbies get started

I know i used Linux so much in this post i did this because i did not want to be biased against other distributions, but all popular Linux distributions have all these features and you can always play around with them to find the one that suit you, as for me i use Ubuntu, but in the past I've used Kubuntu, Linux Mint and kali Linux, but i'll recommend Ubuntu because i feel it's stable, mature and easy for newbies to get started with, i have an Ubuntu/Linux community which i plan to start, i'll keep you posted

Please feel free to add more information i know there are some that i left out, you can also add any problems and insights you have about Linux.Linux is not windows so if you encounter things that feel strange, that's just the way it's done in Linux, it doesn't mean it's a fault in Linux.

1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Fulaman198(m): 2:18am On May 28, 2015
1. You have a point here with Linux being free, however Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.X users.

2. Linux being more secure is debatable. Linux has a much smaller user base than Windows thus most malware is developed for Windows thus giving one the perception that Windows is less secure.

3. You don't have to use a Google search to get software. Know the official developers webpage, so that you can download the software.

4. I never experienced getting drivers a pain on Windows. Simply go to the manufacturer's webpage (whether it's nvidia, Intel, AMD, etc.) and download the latest drivers from there under the driver's section.

5. Windows is also extremely portable, there are Windows Tablets out there running full unadulterated versions of Windows. Also have you heard of the Raspberry Pi 2? It's one of the smallest portable computers in the world. Windows 10 runs quite well on it. Gone are the days where Windows is very intensive on the hardware.

6. I would say it's a tie here, they are equally customizable.

7. Whilst I do agree that the command line in Linux is more formidable than Command Prompt, is it better than Windows Powershell?

8. Windows 10 will have a similar Freedom project, it is called Project Astoria: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/uwp-bridges/project-astoria

9. You have one-uped Windows here

10. Windows has excellent communities just as widespread as Linux/UNIX.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by danidee10(m): 1:03am On May 29, 2015
Fulaman198:
1. You have a point here with Linux being free, however Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.X users.

2. Linux being more secure is debatable. Linux has a much smaller user base than Windows thus most malware is developed for Windows thus giving one the perception that Windows is less secure.

3. You don't have to use a Google search to get software. Know the official developers webpage, so that you can download the software.

4. I never experienced getting drivers a pain on Windows. Simply go to the manufacturer's webpage (whether it's nvidia, Intel, AMD, etc.) and download the latest drivers from there under the driver's section.

5. Windows is also extremely portable, there are Windows Tablets out there running full unadulterated versions of Windows. Also have you heard of the Raspberry Pi 2? It's one of the smallest portable computers in the world. Windows 10 runs quite well on it. Gone are the days where Windows is very intensive on the hardware.

6. I would say it's a tie here, they are equally customizable.

7. Whilst I do agree that the command line in Linux is more formidable than Command Prompt, is it better than Windows Powershell?

8. Windows 10 will have a similar Freedom project, it is called Project Astoria: https://dev.windows.com/en-us/uwp-bridges/project-astoria

9. You have one-uped Windows here

10. Windows has excellent communities just as widespread as Linux/UNIX.

1. you still have to pay initially to get the windows 7 or 8 which means it's not really free

2. In Linux no program can harm you except you give it root access using sudo and most linux users know this and will never grant an untrusted app root access but this is not the case in windows, even a virus is created it will be stopped before it does damages and affects the whole linux community, haven't you seen how fast critical bugs in linux are patched before they're exploited

3. You can say this because you are an experienced windows user, most windows users don't even know how to install software and some even pay for others to help them do it

4. Only experienced windows users will say this

5. They had to release a Raspberry pi2 which is more powerful to support windows, this just shows that a linux distro running on that same machine will be lighter and will run faster than what ever version of windows is running on the machine, windows will never be as light as linux, also i gave an example of carrying your os in a flash drive can windows ever do that? NO

6. no there's no tie, your power tweaking on windows is very limited, the Desktop environment is always the same no matter what you do, Trust me you don't want me to go on here

7. powershell will never match the terminal in linux a simple google search and some articles will tell you that

8. No the Astoria is nothing similar to the freedom i talked about, if windows want to achieve this freedom then they'll have to expose the source code of the os which windows will never do

and finally the windows community is not as great as the linux community, because the linux community fixes bugs in the os itself, windows will never allow the community do this, they'll always do it themselves, which leads to bugs and vulnerabilities being opened for months and the end users have to wait for windows to fix it each and every time

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Barywhyte(m): 6:24pm On Oct 23, 2015
@Fulaman198 There is a great limitation to what you can do on windows. And windows 10 being free is a response to widespread acceptability of linux. The heat is on microsoft. Apart from their inexperienced user base, which is very strong worldwide, there is no base for comparison.

In today's enterprise computing, Linux is the way to go. In mobile computing, windows is already dead and Apple is doing some catch up. Linux is on the rise.

The Kernel powers today's computing world. Everything in IT now revolves around Linux Kernel. Its only being covered by utilities that surround it.

On the desktop side tho, we give it to windows and thats meant for the base users: The market women and barbers and shoemakers etc
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Fulaman198(m): 5:52am On Oct 24, 2015
Barywhyte:
@Fulaman198 There is a great limitation to what you can do on windows. And windows 10 being free is a response to widespread acceptability of linux. The heat is on microsoft. Apart from their inexperienced user base, which is very strong worldwide, there is no base for comparison.

In today's enterprise computing, Linux is the way to go. In mobile computing, windows is already dead and Apple is doing some catch up. Linux is on the rise.

The Kernel powers today's computing world. Everything in IT now revolves around Linux Kernel. Its only being covered by utilities that surround it.

On the desktop side tho, we give it to windows and thats meant for the base users: The market women and barbers and shoemakers etc

I actually prefer Linux
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Barywhyte(m): 8:10am On Oct 24, 2015
Fulaman198:

I actually prefer Linux

Give it a try if u havent. U can virtualize it if u want. Dual boot is inconvenient
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Fulaman198(m): 5:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Barywhyte:

Give it a try if u havent. U can virtualize it if u want. Dual boot is inconvenient

I use Linux on a daily basis typically at the command line
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Barywhyte(m): 6:06pm On Oct 24, 2015
Fulaman198:

I use Linux on a daily basis typically at the command line

And thats great!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by danidee10(m): 11:05pm On Oct 24, 2015
@fulaman then why all the arguments against linux....I don't believe u use Linux at all sori buh dats my opinion
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by tunamania(m): 6:44am On Oct 25, 2015
@danidee are u sure Linux is still free? I need a cd n it seems I have to pay for it... Back in the days... They had free shipping n some dudes like afolabi even made app cds for us... Is that possible right now? I used Ubuntu then. I really wanna explore Linux again. Thanks.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by danidee10(m): 7:56pm On Oct 25, 2015
tunamania:
@danidee are u sure Linux is still free? I need a cd n it seems I have to pay for it... Back in the days... They had free shipping n some dudes like afolabi even made app cds for us... Is that possible right now? I used Ubuntu then. I really wanna explore Linux again. Thanks.

I don't think dats possible again but u can always download the iso and install....check my other thread about Linux to join our telegram group we"re always willing to help
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Fulaman198(m): 10:51am On Oct 26, 2015
danidee10:
@fulaman then why all the arguments against linux....I don't believe u use Linux at all sori buh dats my opinion

You do realise that I created a thread on bash scripting, thus your argument is null.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Fulaman198(m): 10:59am On Oct 26, 2015
tunamania:

There are different Linux distros. I personally use CentOS 7 which is Fedora based and Ubuntu which is Debian based. They are both free.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by danidee10(m): 11:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
Barywhyte:

And thats great!

Please join my telegram group....we're looking for all the Linuxers we can find in Nigeria check my threads...don't wanna post the link here (all these mods have been after me lately)

Thanks
Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Is Better Than Windows by Mckandre(m): 10:20am On Jan 08, 2016
to all conclusion to this whole epistle; do i get to use simple server on linux and how often do i get my cracked gaming franchise on linux or does it support .exe file format ? i need those to consider whether to port on linux and again, my LT is running windows, do i ve the provision to port to a new OS on same system?

(1) (Reply)

COMPUTER CLEARANCE SALES!!------------CALL: 234-815-473-7273 / Fairly Used Hp Compaq Presario Cq56 For Grabs / I Forgot My Laptop Password

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.